Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

August 2014 Character of the Month: Batman

• 198 results
    RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That would have to come second to Spider-Vine. Cuz seriously, the Web-Head beat out Bruce in the opening volley. More Spider fans on this site than you can shake a batarang at.

There's a reason though, at that time Peter was making his return to comic books and ASM 2 was released, that's why SM got the edge over Batman that month in comic book sales too but just in two months he dropped to second behind Batman again. Also the total votes were 500 compared to this times 800.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@theamazingimmortalman said:

@dernman said:

@kal_smahboi said:

SMH at the fact Superman only received 9% of the votes

Right? The top result isn't surprising, but I expected Supes to be more even with the others.

Same here

Agreed

Is it time we renamed the site to BatVine? :p

lol, that would be a fitting name

That would have to come second to Spider-Vine. Cuz seriously, the Web-Head beat out Bruce in the opening volley. More Spider fans on this site than you can shake a batarang at.

They're like a disease that refuses to stop multiplying!

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Lmao

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By senglord

@reaverlation: the Azarello run is one of the best that DC has had in two decades. His long work should have him at big M level recognition for revolutionizing a character.

I think Batman has been the best written of the big DC titles. And his rogues gallery runs from low street like Two Face to mid tier like Clayface and amped Poison Ivy. Readers also know that Batman can and does get humiliated in his own titles regularly.

Wonder Woman has been so mismatched that she had to be written beating down an OOC Batman playing Inspector Javert in order to be taken seriously. A golem with no weakness and Superman stats vs Batman without prep or a weakness...And she is shown being under Aquaman in skill.

Idk, maybe I just like reading well written comics on characters that get spited by lesser writers that know they are inferior to their task.

rage finished

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@k4tzm4n: Yeah but every month is COTM for Batman. You are being one sided about it. We're not complaining for the sake of complaining. If you saw it from our POV, you'd understand more.

Your POV? dude it was VOTED,or are you so arrogant as to believe that YOUR POV matters more than the rest of us?

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnny_blaze said:

@k4tzm4n: Yeah but every month is COTM for Batman. You are being one sided about it. We're not complaining for the sake of complaining. If you saw it from our POV, you'd understand more.

Your POV? dude it was VOTED,or are you so arrogant as to believe that YOUR POV matters more than the rest of us?

Heh, end of argument.

JuJuTrain91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnny_blaze said:

Nailed it! Anyway:

Loading Video...

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

with all the complaints I see on here all the time about too much Batman, I figured someone else might win. But I guess it's like that time Roosevelt ran as a third party candidate after losing the primary. The non-Batman people couldn't agree on a candidate.

With that said, it will be pretty cool to see an article about Batman' s best stories because he's had so many, a lot of which are quite famous. However it will probably feature all the stories that I can't figure out why everyone else likes, like The Dark Knight Returns, and the trash that was Year One. I really did enjoy The Long Halloween though.

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The powers that be and (obviously) most of the people on here are on Batmans sack like crablouse.I am not even sure why they had the other league members as an option. Comicvine tells of themselves all the time that Batman always wins.ugh. I love Batman but damn it's overkill.he's like Puff Daddy circa 95-2000,overblown.Let's scale back on the bat so we can appreciate him more.I mean he has like what?800 comics out.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cool. Was hoping fr Wonder Woman or Flash. Maybe next time.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By dimitridkatsis

@kilowog52 said:

with all the complaints I see on here all the time about too much Batman, I figured someone else might win. But I guess it's like that time Roosevelt ran as a third party candidate after losing the primary. The non-Batman people couldn't agree on a candidate.

With that said, it will be pretty cool to see an article about Batman' s best stories because he's had so many, a lot of which are quite famous. However it will probably feature all the stories that I can't figure out why everyone else likes, like The Dark Knight Returns, and the trash that was Year One. I really did enjoy The Long Halloween though.

blasphemer

lukeseowdaboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though I really like Batman, I think we should try and have characters who ain't the top of the top famous (ie. Batman, Superman, Captain America, Spiderman, Iron Man) We should give characters who aren't quite as popular their chance to shine. It doesn't have to be someone obscure, but people like Aquaman and the Flash, though they are popular and all, are far less discussed about then the likes of Batman. Anyone agree?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By RustyRoy
    @ninjablade09 said:

I voted Flash actually, I'd love to see him as CotM.

@lukeseowdaboz said:

Though I really like Batman, I think we should try and have characters who ain't the top of the top famous (ie. Batman, Superman, Captain America, Spiderman, Iron Man) We should give characters who aren't quite as popular their chance to shine. It doesn't have to be someone obscure, but people like Aquaman and the Flash, though they are popular and all, are far less discussed about then the likes of Batman. Anyone agree?

@k4tzm4n changes the line up from time to time, from popular characters to lesser known characters, first month it was Spidey, next were Moon Knight and Deathstroke. If he always uses lesser known characters then people will lose interest, this one was possibly the most voted poll in CV (got nearly 800 votes) and was the closet match up yet, Batman barely got the win, WW, Aquaman and Flash gave him a run for his money. Batman and Spidey are out of the way anyways, and popular characters like Superman and Wolverine barely get any love in CV, I'd like to see them win CotM too.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:
    @ninjablade09 said:

Same here. Would have brought out some interesting battles. Maybe around the time his show permeires.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:
    @ninjablade09 said:

Same here. Would have brought out some interesting battles. Maybe around the time his show permeires.

Yeah that would be the perfect time. I'd love to see his stories, supporting characters and villains showcased, other than Battle forums he's very underrated.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@ninjablade09 said:

@rustyroy said:
    @ninjablade09 said:

Yeah that would be the perfect time. I'd love to see his stories, supporting characters and villains showcased, other than Battle forums he's very underrated.

Sadly he is.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#167  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@jayc1324 said:

Awesome.but I don't understand why there is so much complaining when YOURE the ones who voted for him

Nearly 4 out of 5 people didn't vote for him.

If you want to get into an debate about should they bitch or not, that's one thing. But its pretty easy to understand the amount of bitching.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the articles of this month has to be Batman owning other Justice Leaguers.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@ninjablade09 said:

@rustyroy said:
    @ninjablade09 said:

Sadly he is.

Hopefully the TV show will change that.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rustyroy: Good point about Superman and Wolverine getting somewhat of the short stick with COTM.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Obviously more people voted for him since he won. There should be more celebrating than complaining

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@jayc1324 said:

@fallschirmjager: Obviously more people voted for him since he won. There should be more celebrating than complaining

...uh, no? Do you not understand how percentages work? 22% of the total votes went to batman. 78% went to other people.

Therefore (about) 1 in every 5 people voted for batman and a happy he won. 4 out of 5 are not happy he won.

Its pretty simple. This isn't a choice between 2 people in which there is a clear minority and a clear majority. This was a a 7-way vote and 22% was good enough to win. 22% might have been the biggest single percentage, but it still is only about 1/5 of the total.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: what? More people DID vote for him because he won. more people voted for him than anyone else. Obviously not all together

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@jayc1324 said:

@fallschirmjager: what? More people DID vote for him because he won. more people voted for him than anyone else. Obviously not all together

And how exactly is this confusing to you? He wasn't up against 1 character. He was up against 6. Therefore the culminative 6 who all didn't win > the 1 guy.

So how do you not understand why the majority of people didn't want him to win? The majority of people didn't want him to win. 22% did. Just because his 22% beats out anyone elses single percent, doesn't mean the other fanbases aren't also unhappy. This isn't a 1v1 comparison.

Again. If you don't think they should bitch, fine. But its perfectly understandable why there is so much bitching when nearly 78% of the voters, didn't vote for him. They voted for someone else.

There would have been lots fo complaining had any of them won, because no body was going to get 50+ percent which would be the majority of votes. And even then, minority bitches louder.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: more people voted for batman than for any other singluar character. I don't even know what we are arguing about now. I didn't say the majority voted for him. I said MORE people voted for him. Which was to mean more than any other ONE character

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@jayc1324 said:

@fallschirmjager: more people voted for batman than for any other singluar character. I don't even know what we are arguing about now. I didn't say the majority voted for him. I said MORE people voted for him. Which was to mean more than any other ONE character

Which is an irrelevant point to make because Batman didn't beat one character. He beat 6.

And total 6 of those characters fans are all unhappy he won. They might not have been happy if their character lost to someone else, but their still unhappy.,

Therefore, the majority of voters, did not want him to win. Again...22% of people wanted him to win. 78% didn't. It doesn't matter if 9% of that was Superman, or 20 was WW...they all wanted someone not-named Batman to win and they all are probably unhappy.

I'm just going to drop it since you clearly don't understand. But its pretty simple why there are a lot of people unhappy, because A LOT of people didn't vote for him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: well as I said. I never said the majority voted for him. But OK I see what you mean.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@rustyroy said:

@ninjablade09 said:

@rustyroy said:

@ninjablade09 said:

@rustyroy said:
    @ninjablade09 said:

Sadly he is.

Hopefully the TV show will change that.

Barry's too young there....

@rustyroy said:

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ugh. I voted Aquaman.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

Age doesn't really matter that much. lol I knew Batman would get a lot of votes so I voted Flash, didn't expect it to be so close.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not reading through this thread because I suspect it's going to peppered with comments berating supposed fan-boys(girls) of Batman.

Congratulations to one of the most amazing, iconic and deserving of comic characters to be named "Character of the Month." I didn't vote for him (I voted Wonder Woman), but I'm not disappointed. How could he not win? There is no argument that could convince me this shouldn't have happened.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@toplel said:
    @fallschirmjager said:

So how do you not understand why the majority of people didn't want him to win? The majority of people didn't want him to win. 22% did. Just because his 22% beats out anyone elses single percent, doesn't mean the other fanbases aren't also unhappy. This isn't a 1v1 comparison.

No, the majority of the people wanted their favorite character to win, as a result wanting every other character, including Batman, to lose.

If they were voting for the sole purpose of wanting to see Batman lose, they should've gotten behind one character. You're trying to skew the facts against Batman when it applies to any other character. There'd be bitching either way. This is the best case scenario, with the least bitching.

I didn't say that wouldn't be bitching if someone other had Batman had won, I just said the majority of people who voted didn't want Batman to win. Which is factually true.

This might have been the least bitching, but its still a lot. And therefore the amount is completely understandable.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#184  Edited By Lvenger

Whilst I would have rather seen Aquaman, Wonder Woman or Superman to get COTM, this result was the statistically most probable one to happen. Just because more fanbases wanted Batman to lose doesn't detract from the fact that the Batman fanbase is larger than the other individual fanbases. And though it would have been more interesting to see COTM articles and battles for the other characters, Batman is the most popular character on here. Besides, Gregg's wheelhouse is street level debates and I'm sure he can think of some fun match ups and articles for Batman's month.

What I'm most disappointed about though is Superman only getting 9% of the votes. Only freaking Cyborg did worse than him and Cyborg is not a well known or popular character as much as I like him. It's a very sad day when Superman doesn't get nearly as much respect as some other A list characters on here :(

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@rustyroy said:

@punyparker said:

@rustyroy said:

Age doesn't really matter that much. lol I knew Batman would get a lot of votes so I voted Flash, didn't expect it to be so close.

Batman deserved to be on a month.....he never was,and after Spidey month i waited for Batman month like crazy......we got Moon Knight month,for god's sake!! :P

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel said:

@fallschirmjager: It would've been 'factually true' regardless of the character. Not really something worth bringing up.

I didn't bring it up. I said its perfectly understandable why there is so much bitching and it is.

whether or not they should is a different story.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#188 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@lvenger said:

Besides, Gregg's wheelhouse is street level debates and I'm sure he can think of some fun match ups and articles for Batman's month.

What I'm most disappointed about though is Superman only getting 9% of the votes. Only freaking Cyborg did worse than him and Cyborg is not a well known or popular character as much as I like him. It's a very sad day when Superman doesn't get nearly as much respect as some other A list characters on here :(

Thank you. I'll try my best to make sure they're fun and topical. And yes, I'll avoid using characters that have appeared in Batman Battle of the Month/Does Batman Always Win.

Agreed. I admit I didn't vote for Clark (sorry, Kal), but part of me was really rooting for him. I get a lot of people aren't fond his his time in the New 52, but this would be a great way of looking back and showing why he's a terrific character. Perhaps one day...

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@k4tzm4n said:

@lvenger said:

Besides, Gregg's wheelhouse is street level debates and I'm sure he can think of some fun match ups and articles for Batman's month.

Thank you. I'll try my best to make sure they're fun and topical. And yes, I'll avoid using characters that have appeared in Batman Battle of the Month/Does Batman Always Win.

Agreed. I admit I didn't vote for Clark (sorry, Kal), but part of me was really rooting for him. I get a lot of people aren't fond his his time in the New 52, but this would be a great way of looking back and showing why he's a terrific character. Perhaps one day...

You almost always meet expectations on your articles so I'm sure some Bat haters might not lose their temper too much with your articles.

I would lay the blame on a certain film but films really don't have much of an impact on the comics in terms of bringing in new fans. The problem is that other characters are more popular than here, even Aquaman is better received than he is amongst comic book fans because of how well he's been written.

Crazy_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! I can never get enough Batman.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

Its sad that it will be less celebrating and more whining.

this

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I noticed in the poll thread Batman and Wonder Woman were actually equal in vote percentage at 21%.

No Caption Provided

Is it just me that has this result show up? If so, ignore me and I'll get my sight checked. (or computer) The last few posts mention Batman being at 22% but I've seen polls drop back a bit after a few more people join in.

It's been bugging me all day.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#195  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ms-lola: Votes can still be made after the poll is locked and Batman had a 1% lead at the time it was locked (and was holding onto it for several hours in the previous day). To prevent any additional confusion, I've deleted the poll thread.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#196  Edited By Jphu8414

Batman had to win at least one of these character of the month threads, especially since it's his 75th.

Congrats Batman

Batman is very pleased with the results
    Batman is very pleased with the results

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@ms-lola: Votes can still be made after the poll is locked and Batman had a 1% lead at the time it was locked (and was holding onto it for several hours in the previous day). To prevent any additional confusion, I've deleted the poll thread.

Thanks for clearing that up. I can enjoy my evening now, haha.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@super_soldierxii said:

@dernman said:

@kal_smahboi said:

SMH at the fact Superman only received 9% of the votes

Right? The top result isn't surprising, but I expected Supes to be more even with the others.

Same here

Agreed

Is it time we renamed the site to BatVine? :p

lol, that would be a fitting name

They're like a disease that refuses to stop multiplying!

it won't stop until everyone is infected!!!!!!! it's like spider island all over again!

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

boring

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Dark_Stranger

@k4tzm4n said:

Also, you could try and be productive by suggesting future voting themes with characters you like. I'm more than open to suggestions!

I wouldn't mind seeing a list surrounding characters of the supernatural (like monsters, demons, and such) and magical (just anyone that's magic adept, like Raven, Strange, Fate, Nico Minoru, etc).

Also wouldn't mind a nice round of top female martial artists; Cassandra Cain, Lady Shiva, etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.