Anbody enjoying Tom King's Batman run?

• 107 results
#1 Posted by Zur_En_Arrh (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay I've made it to issue seven, and I simply can't understand what's gone wrong. Tom King's Vision has to be one of the finest Marvel comics from recent memory, but this Batman run so far has killed my enthusiasm for coming arcs. Why's the dialogue so stilted and/or, ill timed? Why did they spend one issue making the Justice Leauge look like a joke? Why are all these incredibly lame new background villians popping up? (the blimp man, the pirate captain, etc) Why is Alfred so darn snarky? Why the build up to Pyscho Pirate and then no confrontation? Were Gotham and Gotham Girl really the only names they could come up with?

These are all just minor complaints by themselves, but taken together this first arc of King's run has smacked of poor pacing, rushed scripts, and maybe most worrying, a misrepresentation of the character. So far I can buy Batman in Detective Comics and All Star a lot more than what's here, and I'm all for new characters, but dang, the twins had almost no build up, were shattered, and then comforted all too fast for me to care that any of it happened to them, that's not good writing.

I'm thinking its time for me to stop my Batman Subscription for the first time in over ten years.

Thoughts?

#2 Edited by wrucebayne (568 posts) - - Show Bio

I was enjoying it a lot for the first few issues, but it started to get worse from there. The arc didn't even need Gotham Girl. She was useless (and still is) until King decided she shouldn't die alongside Gotham. As the series went on, and as I started reading All Star, it became evident that they are replacing Damian with Duke.

This contempt for Robins and the unexplained disappearance of Damian is unwarranted. How can Damian be in the Batcave in Nightwing, but he's nowhere to be seen in any Batbook. My biggest problem is, where the f**k is Damian? We need Tomasi back asap.

The biggest problem honestly is that it's become plain boring.

Edit: A little addendum is needed. I liked Gothan well enough, I felt he was fleshed out and his downfall felt natural. Gotham Girl, on the other hand, was Gotham's sidekick and sister. She didn't have much of a character and suddenly became a scared, bald girl that we're supposed to care for. I don't care and King never gave me a reason to care.

#3 Posted by entropy_aegis (21007 posts) - - Show Bio

I've already spoken at length about Tom's Batman so I dont think there's much more to say. Still I will say this, in a year during which he wrote Omega men, Grayson, Vision and Sherrif of Babylon Batman will be considered by far his weakest work, even outright bad by his own standards. It's a perfect display of King's weaknesses but with NONE of his strengths. In this run so far he's trying to be something that he truly isn't, he's a terrible action writer period and he's using a bunch of boring characters that no one wants to invest their time in. King should just write deep character driven stories with characters he actually wants to say something about, it's why the Batman #9 preview was so great. He actually had something interesting to say about Bane, while he has nothing to say about Duke but insists on using him anyway and he was just confused on what he wanted to say about the Gothams'. Either treat them as the faces of Gotham(the city's,ugh) bright future or use them to mock the idea of such characters trying to operate in the city, just dont try to do both.

What King simply needs is perspective, hopefully from the next arc and onwards there will be more focus on Bat/Cat and Bane and almost zero focus on Duke. Gotham Girl I'm not opposed to yet but she needs a story she can feel home in and I'm sorry to say that she's completely out of place in stories with Bane and Hugo Strange as villains. Batman leading the Outsiders against Kobra is the story she works in, Batman leading a bunch of low level villains against Bane is a story she doesn't work in. It's why Tomasi got rid of Damian's super powers with in 3 issues. So unless King plans on going all Silver Age then Gotham Girl will continue to be a nuisance instead of an asset.

#4 Edited by Eto (5367 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I agree 100%. I hope next arc will be an astonishing arc, otherwise I'm dropping it.

Really man Duke is useless, just stands in the cave with Alfred. He is not a robin, Bruce wants to make something better blablabla. Not his own SON Damian, Noooo of course not. It has to be Duke because he's black -__-

#5 Posted by TDK_1997 (18935 posts) - - Show Bio

King's Batman has been a lackluster ride for everyone so far. I am Gotham is one of the worst Batman stories to be created if you look at it from afar. King mixed bunch of ideas together and the mix was nothing more than a big mess that made the story seem childishand when you look at the terrible dialogue you get even more annoyed. King's biggest weakness is writing fighting sequences, all of them are just cliched and don't work well with Batman because he always goes over the top. Tomasi has done some of the same things by going over the top but never too much. I hope his future stories are far better and that he picks things up because if he doesn't it would be a big shame that the main Batman title is such a big mess.

#6 Edited by Bat_Girl_CC (6162 posts) - - Show Bio

Not me, in fact i already dropped it, but i did it because it was getting too expensive for me to follow many different titles and buy 2 issues a month on the regular, i had to choose one to drop, and i choosed Batman because i was vastly underwhelmed by it.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
#7 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (3301 posts) - - Show Bio

Between Nightwing, Detective Comics, and All-Star Batman, King's arc is easily the worst.

#8 Posted by Bat_Girl_CC (6162 posts) - - Show Bio

Between Nightwing, Detective Comics, and All-Star Batman, King's arc is easily the worst.

Yup, for me, in terms of quality so far its:

Detective Comics > All Star Batman > Nightwing ( surprised by Tim Seeley, i was one of his hatters :p ) >>>>> Batman.

And the thing is that Batman isn't even "bad"...its "meh", but i can't buy 2 issues a month from a series that its "meh", plus the ones that i already buy.

#9 Posted by Epyon007 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the first few issues, was not particularly a big fan of how the arc ended. I am hopeful for I am Suicide though.

#10 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

Its pretty meh but I always find Batman meh

#11 Edited by Rurgandy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. It's bold, uses its concept as a visual medium to deliver its story, and approaches Batman in a different way than what readers are used to, through the eyes of the Gotham siblings. And I don't get triggered by different supporting characters showing up (and I love Damian as a character). This is a series that holds up well with re-reads, in which you can see how each issue ties to one another thematically, and view characters in a different light.

Detective Comics, on the other hand, is decent, but it's incredibly safe and lacks any subtlety at all. On re-reads, it holds up poorly, thanks to its non-stop exposition dumps, and heavy-handed characterization. It actually reads very similarly to Batman and Robin Eternal, only with Tim Drake getting ridiculous "feats" like inventing a self-healing headquarters instead of Harper Row.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
#12 Posted by GustavoBurciaga1 (652 posts) - - Show Bio

This first act of the arc did seem pretty lackluster compared to his other works, I'm just going to assume he needs to get his footing right for the up coming acts to see what's going on with Psycho Pirate and Bane. I mean it literally felt rushed and they crammed so much in without really explaining anything, so I'm hoping by the end of the I Am Suicide story we'll have answers to what's been happening.

#13 Posted by entropy_aegis (21007 posts) - - Show Bio

While I thought Tec was much better than Batman I have to say it has taken Tynion years to succeed in telling just one good Bat family story. He's been trying for years with both Eternals and even this run had similar problems. Ignoring the exposition which at this point has become a characteristic feature of his writing style Tec still suffered from :

Changing the past/introducing secrets in to history to create drama in the present, this time the victim in question was Jacob Kane. He's compelled to create drama by introducing new secrets that have characters bickering with each other. It's what triggers the basic conflict in his stories.

Secret Organization/army/group: This guy just CANT write a story without an organization or army, the full list up to now includes Court of Owls, LOA, Mother's organization, the Colony and we can expect Victim Syndicate and the League of Shadows in the future. On Twitter he also said he brainstormed over the Black Glove, YEESH.

The Chosen one syndrome: There is one atleast one retarded character who gets non sense feats non stop. In Outlaws it was Jason, in B&R Eternal it was Harper and in Tec it was Tim. He's not even subtle about it, Jason was literally the LOA chosen one, Harper was literally Mother's chosen Robin and Tim was Mr Oz's chosen one.

#14 Edited by Rurgandy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Batman/TMNT was good, and arguably better than this Tec run.

#15 Edited by entropy_aegis (21007 posts) - - Show Bio

@rurgandy said:

@entropy_aegis: Batman/TMNT was good, and arguably better than this Tec run.

Yeah, so was Batman annual #3 and Talon. He just sucks as a family writer and I believe it's down to his inability to differentiate characters meaningfully. It's why he has to resort to "smart one, sexy one, hot head one, gullible one, silent one, military instructor one" etc. The characters never become larger than the cliched traits Tynion injects them with. Clayface in particular has had that same innocent expression on his face for 8 issues just to hammer that that he's a good guy, it's comical.

#16 Posted by TDK_1997 (18935 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: At least currently with the Colony it's the only time when the whole secret organization/army thing actually worked at full extent. Yes, it was idiotic that yet again he made this organization something from someone of the Bat family's past but we have to get used to it, that's just the way Tynion and SNyder writer their stories. They don't have brighter ideas and it also seems that this philosophy of theirs actually works and people buy the hell out of it.

If he continues to be on repeat for the next couple of arcs, in each one of them bringing up a dark secret from someone's past or an organization the Bat Family has to fight then I wouldn't have such a high opinion for him for this story but for now I can say it was the most enjoyable 'Tec story since Flashpoint.

#17 Edited by Bat_Girl_CC (6162 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: @rurgandy: I disagree regarding Tynion, he's a good writter, he's not the best writter there is not even the best writter in DC right now, but he's the best Bat-family writter there is easly...Scott Snyder, Tim Seeley, Tom King, Orlando, they may be very creative and have awesome ideas, but what good is that when they don't get the characters and their stories read as a elseworlds type of story at times...it toke me 1 issue to see that Seeley is completely clueless about Cassandra Cain, he has the same amount of knowledge on the character, as anyone who has read her wiki on comicvine, or less...he clearly gets Dick Grayson but its the only character he actually gets...everyone enjoyed Tom Kings "Grayson" same like now many people enjoy Tom Kings "Batman" because he makes the main character of the title look cool not because he actually gets the character, Grayson was good because of Seeley its more than proven now, King doesn't get Dick Grayson and he even less gets Bruce, his Bruce reads as the JLU cartoon Bruce more than the actual comic-version...his job on Red Hood And The Outlaws had many flaws granted, but his characterization of Jason was actually pretty good, he wrote the best Tim Drake in ages, and on Batman and Robin Eternal, despite its critics, there were several issues that were great and they generated very high reviews as well, and 90% of those issues were written by Tynion.

Back when Detective Comics was announced with Tynion at the helm, everyone was like: "i'll give it a shot, but will probably drop it withing 3 issues"...and now its their favourite bat-book, and it was predicatable really, i said it would happen on the article about the rebirth announcements, Tynion isn't the best there is, but hes the best we've got, if you are a bat-family fan and reader and you want to read a bat-family book, he is the go to guy, Detective Comics is the living proof of that.

#18 Posted by Bat_Girl_CC (6162 posts) - - Show Bio

Even Scott Snyder, who in my opinion is one of the best Batman writters there is right now, and in the last few years he has really put on display on how hes views some of the bat-family members (his babs and his jason, are off, and when i say off, i mean OFF!) some issues were so bad that i literally had to stop reading and came back to re-read those issues after a while...and thats coming from a fan of Snyder's work, this happens because to write a story about a group of characters at the same time, being a very good writter isn't enough, you have to really understand the characters that you are writting about, and only then you can give it your own personal touch so it can still click in a different way...for exemple, King is a very good writter and he can't do it with Batman, Duke, Gotham Girl...grantted Duke and GG are kinda of dull characters, but thats besides the point, and i'm yet to see a portrayal of Batman written by him that i can fully apreciate for the whole issue, Tynion does that for me everytime.

#19 Posted by Caivu (187 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis:

I think Tynion's doing a great job differentiating the 'Tec cast. If there's any cliches about them present (and I don't agree there are), it's because they just weren't the focus of the first arc. Tim and Kate in particular were fantastic.

#20 Posted by Caivu (187 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997:

Gotta disagree about the Colony. The way Tynion slotted them in to prior continuity was pretty brilliant. He picked up on a lot of otherwise minor details from past stories that made it all work.

#21 Posted by TDK_1997 (18935 posts) - - Show Bio

@caivu said:

@tdk_1997:

Gotta disagree about the Colony. The way Tynion slotted them in to prior continuity was pretty brilliant. He picked up on a lot of otherwise minor details from past stories that made it all work.

As I said, the Colony is the organization that works the best in Snyder/Tynion stories. Their purpose is good, logical and they actually seemed like a big threat.

#22 Posted by Foxus27 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

the tom runs right now is a 5/10 for me

#23 Posted by Rainshadow777 (527 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm trade waiting and really want to read Batman because I think it's a key book in the DC Universe, but that was my problem with Snyder too. I stuck with Snyder for ages but in the end just gave it up. Maybe I don't even bother with King.

#24 Posted by casper4690 (704 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a decent story , but definitely not on par with Omega men , sheriff , vision , and that amazing GL one shot.

Honestly , I'm more annoyed about dukes involvement and how uninteresting he is . I feel like they are trying to develop the character but he just comes across as boring . I blame Snyder for this . I am suicide looks more promising than the first arc. I have no doubts King will find his footing and step up his game. In my humble opinion , he is one of the best writers in comics .

#25 Posted by Black_Arrow (10301 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I agree with most of your critiques against Tynion. I think that he is doing a good job now at Detective comics because for the most part he is not writing any new relation ships. During Batman Eternal and Batman and Robin eternal, He had to establish a relationship between Jason and almost everybody on the Bat family (Pre new 52 Jason was an enemy of the family and all of his other interactions during the New 52 were very brief) and He also had to establish a relation ship between Harper Row and almost every other character. I think he struggles because he can't create any new or interesting interaction between this characters. Now look at Detective comics, most of the relationships here are pre existing, Batman, Tim, Steph and Cass, all of them interacted a lot in the past. Adding Batwoman to the family was natural because she is Batman's cousin. The only character that never seems to fit on the story, is Clayface because there is absolute no reason for him being here and because he doesn't have any relationship with the Batfamily. At least those are my views on the matter.

#26 Posted by entropy_aegis (21007 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I agree with most of your critiques against Tynion. I think that he is doing a good job now at Detective comics because for the most part he is not writing any new relation ships. During Batman Eternal and Batman and Robin eternal, He had to establish a relationship between Jason and almost everybody on the Bat family (Pre new 52 Jason was an enemy of the family and all of his other interactions during the New 52 were very brief) and He also had to establish a relation ship between Harper Row and almost every other character. I think he struggles because he can't create any new or interesting interaction between this characters. Now look at Detective comics, most of the relationships here are pre existing, Batman, Tim, Steph and Cass, all of them interacted a lot in the past. Adding Batwoman to the family was natural because she is Batman's cousin. The only character that never seems to fit on the story, is Clayface because there is absolute no reason for him being here and because he doesn't have any relationship with the Batfamily. At least those are my views on the matter.

That's a good point, I agree that he's the type of writer that works better with an established set up, thing is though Tynion is always compelled to change the existing set up for some reason, usually via the past. I still dont understand the point of the USB from Batman and Robin Eternal lol.

#27 Posted by Black_Arrow (10301 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Some writers use the past way too much, to explain what's going on the story. I think that the past can be used correctly if it tells a cohesive story (that has a begining and an end) that relates to what's happening to the characters in the present and brings more depth into their relations (like what Priest is doing on his Deathstroke run). On the stories that Tynion writes, the past is not only used to set the conflict but it's also use to create cheap shock value and to set up the relationships. Was it really necessesary to add the scene of the Wayne's funeral to set up the relationship between him and Kate, I would understand it if he was using the past to tell how the families of both Bruce and Kate began to separate, to contrast the present since now they are building a family of their own. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason that Bruce is helping Clayface, is that he was his secret childhood friend.

You missed one character on the list of the Chosen ones, Kate was meant to be the leader of the Colony. And that's the reason why she is such an impressive leader.

#28 Posted by entropy_aegis (21007 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Some writers use the past way too much, to explain what's going on the story. I think that the past can be used correctly if it tells a cohesive story (that has a begining and an end) that relates to what's happening to the characters in the present and brings more depth into their relations (like what Priest is doing on his Deathstroke run). On the stories that Tynion writes, the past is not only used to set the conflict but it's also use to create cheap shock value and to set up the relationships. Was it really necessesary to add the scene of the Wayne's funeral to set up the relationship between him and Kate, I would understand it if he was using the past to tell how the families of both Bruce and Kate began to separate, to contrast the present since now they are building a family of their own. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason that Bruce is helping Clayface, is that he was his secret childhood friend.

You missed one character on the list of the Chosen ones, Kate was meant to be the leader of the Colony. And that's the reason why she is such an impressive leader.

LMAO, I cant believe I missed those. Thinking about it, you're right, what's this sudden obsession with making Kate a leader? comes completely out of nowhere, admittedly though she has interesting relationships with her father and Renee that prevent her character from exclusively revolving around that cliche. Tim might as well have been the button press guy.

I also fully expect Cass to get the League of Shadows Chosen One arc and now I remember that Tynion brought back the Order of Saint Dumas.

#29 Posted by Caivu (187 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO, I cant believe I missed those. Thinking about it, you're right, what's this sudden obsession with making Kate a leader? comes completely out of nowhere, admittedly though she has interesting relationships with her father and Renee that prevent her character from exclusively revolving around that cliche. Tim might as well have been the button press guy.

I also fully expect Cass to get the League of Shadows Chosen One arc and now I remember that Tynion brought back the Order of Saint Dumas.

I wouldn't say it comes out of nowhere. She did willingly give up what would've been a distinguished military career, after all. Then she finds herself having the opportunity for a similar position again, from two different and competing factions, and we see her wrestling with that decision even after she's made it.

Cass's story is in arc three, and Lady Shiva is supposed to show up, so I think you're right that the LoS will be involved there as well. I think it'll be more of a "Shiva wants her kid back" story than anything though, but we'll see.

#30 Posted by Bat_Girl_CC (6162 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Cass being the League Of Assassins/Shadows "chosen one" isn't exactly something new...it was already done on Cassandra's 2000-2006 Batgirl run IIRC. Cass was supposed to be Ras All Ghul perfect body-guard but eventually some members begin to also see her as a possible leader, we even got Bronze Tiger himself kneeling to Cass, and many league of assassins members ready to follow Cass, amoung other things.

I really hope Tynion don't just re-tell everything, since DC decided to change some things, then do something new this time around as well, besides things aren't ever going to be the same again anyway with the reboot and all the continuity and time-line issues, and i'm already over it, so...Also i don't even think its possible to do that with the whole Mother-story which currently its within current-continuity, Tynion can't exactly ignore it, David this time around wasn't even working with the League, he was working for The Mother, and Cassandra possibly becoming a body-guard for the LOA was also changed into Cass being a possible body-guard for The Mother, plus at the time there was no Damian, this time around making Cass a possible LOA "chosen one" isn't likely nor would it make sense for Damian and the all of others having never heard of her, we saw him talking about hearing stories about Cass in the previous continuity, and all these reasons were just take from the top of my head right now...I don't know what Tynion will do but, Cassandra's ties to the League were pretty much left in the previous continuity by DC in my opinion, and as for Lady Shiva, Dick said on Nightwing #14 - Die for Me (i think that was the issue) that he and Shiva are roughly around the same age, so being Dick only a few years older than Cass (2 maybe 3 years older?) that makes Shiva being Cassandra's Mother highly unlikely, i guess she could still be her younger sister, but idk about that, being related to Shiva its always cool, but then what? would they join forces and fight their evil crazy-skilled parents? sounds awesome for a story-arc, but idk, better wait and see.

#31 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm liking ASB more so

#32 Posted by Bat_Girl_CC (6162 posts) - - Show Bio

I know that people will read my comment above, and think that i don't want things to go back to how they were before, but the thing is, i've wantted it ALOT and i've waitted for a looooong time, but since recently i'm finally over it, besides i don't even think that that's even possible anymore, even if they wantted to go that route.

#33 Edited by laughingbatman (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

I read an interview where King said he wanted to involve less popular/unknown villains to give them a twist in the intro storyline. In the next arc with Batman's suicide squad, he will go after Psycho Pirate. I read they are also supposed to address or at least comment on the 3 Joker topic in issue 9, but we will see. I haven't given up hope. Detective Comics definitely has the better story right now though.

#34 Posted by lxlGiftedlxl (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

Avatar image for nthmetalwarrior
#35 Posted by NthMetalWarrior (375 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's suicide squad has just been confirmed as the ventriloquist, punch and jewlee, catwoman and bronze tiger in NYCC. I bet two of them will die heh

#36 Posted by tparks (11807 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's been great, and a nice change of pace. Issue 1 with the plane was amazing, and while it's lost quality since then, it's still been pretty good.

#37 Posted by Nathdog (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@zur_en_arrh:

I have to agree with you and it's not just Tom King, it's the entire Batman line. I have been reading the books for over 25 years. I mostly enjoyed Snyder's run in New 52 and saw real character development in the books especially in Superheavy. I do not see the point of All-Star Batman, Snyder has said enough on Batman and should rest on his laurels. Batman and 'Tec Rebirth have been disappointing and frankly nothing we haven't seen before. It seams as though all we get with Batman is circular character development from solo Batman to Batman family to the death of a Robin to a solo Batman and the cycle repeats itself. Superman in Rebirth has been far more interesting to me. There is character development in Superman/Clark Kent and for the first time in 25 years I have dropped all of the Batman books and I am reading all of the Superman books.

#38 Posted by Eto (5367 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Edited by Zur_En_Arrh (64 posts) - - Show Bio

http://io9.gizmodo.com/batman-s-about-to-start-unraveling-dc-rebirth-s-watchme-1787749224

I know, I know, ugh Gawker media link, but this interview with King sheds a little more light on his intentions and plans. As people mentioned here, he explains his logic behind bringing a bunch of old villains back, such as Kite man and Stingaree saying Batman villains look funny till you realize what their doing is so scary. I can buy the intent, but their not scary if you don't write them well, an so far there hasn't really been anything ominous or memorable about these returning villains.

He also mentions the story happening in a "New Continuity" which had me doing a double take, has he not been told its a soft reboot? And mentions not writing Batman's reaction to Tim's death because basically...he doesn't think he'd write it that well.

I don't know...I'll wait for the next arc, but if THIS is the next five years of Batman...

#40 Edited by entropy_aegis (21007 posts) - - Show Bio

@zur_en_arrh said:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/batman-s-about-to-start-unraveling-dc-rebirth-s-watchme-1787749224

I know, I know, ugh Gawker media link, but this interview with King sheds a little more light on his intentions and plans. As people mentioned here, he explains his logic behind bringing a bunch of old villains back, such as Kite man and Stingaree saying Batman villains look funny till you realize what their doing is so scary. I can buy the intent, but their not scary if you don't write them well, an so far there hasn't really been anything ominous or memorable about these returning villains.

He also mentions the story happening in a "New Continuity" which had me doing a double take, has he not been told its a soft reboot? And mentions not writing Batman's reaction to Tim's death because basically...he doesn't think he'd write it that well.

I don't know...I'll wait for the next arc, but if THIS is the next five years of Batman...

Ugh, I mentioned this interview in my Deathstroke thread, it's just bad. I dunno where to start, for one his delusion levels are pretty high here if he thinks he did something substantial with those Z-list villains. All we got was a one page cameo before GG owned them. It's not a problem on it's own but if the writer is pretending that there was something more behind the scenes and that there was more to those characters other than them being used as props for GG when in actuality there was nothing then it's a pretty sad state of affairs.

His comments on Tim are rather alarming, I dont even care about Tim but WOW this is the third time he's said something like this. I honestly dont get this man, he says Tomasi did this, Miller did that so he wont do anything that could be considered somewhat similar because he cant top them...WTF? maybe a few months from now when I am Bane is getting published he'll say "Dixon/Moench did this which I cant top" and round and round we go. At this point I'm convinced that he either lazy or not interested in the Batman job. He really has an inbuilt excuse for lackluster story, I'm sure he'll eventually say "Morrison did this, O'Neal did that"

Finally he provided nothing of importance regarding the Batman vs Bane confrontation other than saying "it's the greatest", in previous interviews he's called it the "biggest", sure lol, until the next month when Snyder drop his biggest story, then 2 months after that he and Tynion follow suit, rinse and repeat.

#41 Posted by Alex_1333 (343 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I thought Tom King was supposed to be an amazing writer? Atleast from what I've been hearing about him on the vine....

#42 Posted by Zur_En_Arrh (64 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I thought Tom King was supposed to be an amazing writer? Atleast from what I've been hearing about him on the vine....

He is! Read the latest collection of The Vision from Marvel, or Grayson: Agent of Spiral, or the excellent Omega Man mini series from earlier this year. This is the crux of my confusion. I've loved almost everything else he's written.

Avatar image for nthmetalwarrior
#43 Posted by NthMetalWarrior (375 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman 9 was a masterpiece IMHO. However Im still salty that Batman got defeated by Bronze Tiger in their brief duel

#44 Edited by Alex_1333 (343 posts) - - Show Bio

@nthmetalwarrior: Isn't Bronze Tiger supposed to be a better fighter tho? Like since forever.

#45 Posted by Black_Arrow (10301 posts) - - Show Bio

@nthmetalwarrior: Isn't Bronze Tiger supposed to be a better fighter tho? Like since forever.

He has a win against Batman a long time ago but Batman said that he was distracted at the time so that's why Bronze Tiger won. On the next issue they fought again and the battle was extremely close but It was interrupted. They fought again in Suicide Squad 61-62 but the fight was interrupted again. By what I know, Pre Flashpoint they were always treated like equals and all of their battles lasted pages.

#46 Posted by HushoftheWind (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman 9 was a masterpiece IMHO. However Im still salty that Batman got defeated by Bronze Tiger in their brief duel

I am and then again i am not. In a fight Bronze will probably when 6/10 but in a battle Batman will probably win every time if that makes sense. The fight seemed more friendly then anything, im just glad that Bronze is not a jobber anymore like has been in the new 52 books he appeared in.

#47 Posted by Alex_1333 (343 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_arrow: not sure why everyone on here places him in the Top 3 best fighters of the DCU with lady Shiva and Richard Dragon??

#48 Posted by entropy_aegis (21007 posts) - - Show Bio

He's done some amazing work but his Batman is falling flat on it's own face.

Bane's gonna rip his head off anyway so dont worry.

#49 Posted by BruceRogers (17803 posts) - - Show Bio

@alex_1333 said:

@nthmetalwarrior said:

Wasn't Ben's fight against Bruce a spar anyways?. I don't that necessarily denotes how a real fight between them would go

#50 Posted by entropy_aegis (21007 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:
@alex_1333 said:

@nthmetalwarrior said:

Wasn't Ben's fight against Bruce a spar anyways?. I don't that necessarily denotes how a real fight between them would go

Yup but it confirmed that Ben was faster if nothing else, I dont mind but I'm certain Bane's gonna do a number on him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.