Follow

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Movie » Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice released on March 25, 2016.

Gotham City-based vigilante Batman travels to Metropolis to preemptively combat Superman, fearing what would happen if the latter is kept unchecked, while another threat endangers humankind.

Zack Snyder Hates Spoilers, Discusses Batman v Superman Trailer

• 75 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

With the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice trailer coming out back in early December, many fans are saying it spoils many elements of the film, which isn't coming out until March 25. In a recent interview with MTV, director Zack Snyder came out to say that not only does he hate spoilers, but the trailer does not give as much away as some people think.

No Caption Provided

Snyder is confident in the fact that there's a whole lot more to the upcoming film, in the way of big surprises, than what fans saw in the early trailer.

"I have the benefit of seeing the movie," explained Synder. "It's cool that they think it's too much and I appreciate people not wanting to know, but there's plenty that they don't know. There's a lot of movie that's not in the trailer."

One of the big moments in the recent trailer was the appearance of the classic Superman villain, Doomsday, who killed Superman back in 1993. Those anticipating the upcoming film considered that to be a relatively large spoiler, among many others within the trailer. However, Snyder went on to discuss how he felt about spoilers and how he puts together his films.

"Of course, I hate it when any spoilers come out!" Snyder said. "You design the movie as a story that evolves as you watch it, so moment-to-moment [you're thinking], 'Oh my god, what's going to happen next? Are they gonna live? Are they gonna die?' So you want that experience for the audience, as much as you can. If you're, as an audience member, exploring these articles, looking for answers to questions that you have, maybe you're okay with knowing before you go. It's like an individual taste. But like I said, I want people to see the movie without knowing."

Snyder went on to say that Lex Luthor, played by Jesse Eisenberg, is so much more than the character seen in the trailer as well. According to the director, Luthor is more sophisticated and seeing the film will give the audience more context and depth of the character.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice comes to theaters on March 25 and stars Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, and Gal Gadot.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I agree, People need to calm down with spoilers, just wait and enjoy the movie, instead of sitting in the movie like "oh now this is gonna happen and then here he comes and i knew that!!"

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Still looking forward to the movie.

However of course Zack (IYes. I can call him Zack. We're tight like that) is going to say that there's more to the movie then the trailer showed, he's not gong to say "The trailer showed everything. There's no point in seeing the movie."

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@tommythehitman: I've seen a few directors say that they had wished trailers didn't show as much as they had.

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
    comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not the fact that the triler gave away too much

its just the movie looks like crap

Doomsday looks like crap, the fight scenes they showed don't look that interesting.
    it looks llike waaayy to much is shoved in one movie.
    which means pacing will be crap in the movie

and you are marketing the movie as BATMAN VS SUPERMAN

and you show them team up at the end of the trailer!?!?!??!?!

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I predict there is not that much more to the movie than is shown in the trailer, and what is more is essentially dressing. At a high level, the story is lex tricks batman into fighting superman, then they team up to defeat doomsday (which lex created) and wonder woman shows up to help. Which isn't bad, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be any deeper than that. I wish I was excited for this movie, but the trailer just leaves me apathetic.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicvine_is_jericho529: did you really think they wouldn't get along at the end? Did you think there would be a Batman v Superman 2: Justice Rises?

RavenKingXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By RavenKingXXX

Let's all remeber, just because you know how something ends, doesn't mean it isn't enter atoning to watch.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@muyjingo said:

I predict there is not that much more to the movie than is shown in the trailer, and what is more is essentially dressing. At a high level, the story is lex tricks batman into fighting superman, then they team up to defeat doomsday (which lex created) and wonder woman shows up to help. it doesn't seem like it's going to be any deeper than that. I wish I was excited for this movie, but the trailer just leaves me apathetic.

My thoughts on this particular subject as well, Snyder and Co can put all the trimmings and dolling up they want but there's little reason to believe in there being any more depth than what we see here. In spite of the cries of Chris Terrio being the script writer this time round.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#9  Edited By The Impersonator

People should wait until they see the movie. I was quite disappointed that they announced Doomsday will appear in the movie, since it was just a rumor. Then again, I wouldn't say the Doomsday reveal was a major one. What I want to know is, how the trio can defeat Doomsday? Not to mention Superman, of course.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I typically feel like snippets from a movie for a trailer or ad aren't really spoilers if no context is given. Okay, so they showed Doomsday. Is he from space? Is he an experiment made from Zod? Does he have a goal or is he a mindless monster? Just knowing that he's in the movie isn't enough.

On the other hand, I saw absolutely no footage of Amazing Spider-Man 2 before I saw the movie, and upon going back to watch some trailers and TV spots, yeah, they sure did show a lot of Green Goblin. His appearance caught me off guard and not knowing about it definitely made the moment more enjoyable. But again: context. They show Harry as Gobby. That's a spoiler.

Maybe it just depends on the character?

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still looking forward to the movie.

However of course Zack (IYes. I can call him Zack. We're tight like that) is going to say that there's more to the movie then the trailer showed, he's not gong to say "The trailer showed everything. There's no point in seeing the movie."

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I agree with him on spoilers. I hate that we have reports on every single person cast in a film and who they are playing and leaked set photos over a year out on all these movies. Every detail of every image/video is analyzed and discussed. Articles are written that usually start out with spoiler warnings in the headings but gradually shift to put the spoilers in the titles themselves which are hard to avoid when you have news feeds customized to your preferences which will most likely pull on of those articles for you to flip through.

I miss having my first knowledge of a movie being the trailer released a month or two before the release and that be it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13 the_stegman  Moderator

The only people who hate on the trailer are Internet whiners. Everyone I've met in person loved it.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically we should all shut up and wait for the movie....gotcha

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

More suprises? You mean that you did not just happened to cast Aquaman way before his movie and he will also make a cameo?

@ultimaxe said:

I typically feel like snippets from a movie for a trailer or ad aren't really spoilers if no context is given. Okay, so they showed Doomsday. Is he from space? Is he an experiment made from Zod? Does he have a goal or is he a mindless monster? Just knowing that he's in the movie isn't enough.

So the two possibilities are either Doomsday is unrelated to the Zod corpse we see in the trailer and yet another plot point in a movie that already now feels like it has too many or he is created from Zods corpse like everyone assumes. Either he has a plan, which would be yet another plot point or he doesn't like everyone assumes. Just peachy.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Lvenger

@the_stegman said:

The only people who hate on the trailer are Internet whiners. Everyone I've met in person loved it.

I know people who don't like the BvS trailer in person to say nothing of its predecessor so this is simply an over defensive urban myth that it's just us Internet whiners who hate on the trailer. It wasn't the Internet Whiners who made its predecessor so contentious. Can't keep making up excuses for this permanently.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that the trailer showed too much of an important plot point for what looks like the third act. The audience isn't going to the movie doing much guessing because the overarching plot seems to be presented already.

Also, JJ Abrams lied about Star Trek 2 not being a remake or Wrath of Khan. I'm not putting much value on Snyder's words.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_stegman  Moderator

@lvenger: No offense dude, but you obviously have a bone to pick with Snyder and how he portrays Superman, so I'm not sure your opinion is gonna sway my thought.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just find it funny that people are complaining about things they already knew would happen.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

My biggest worries with this film are Batman and Superman wont get equal screen time, Batman will be too Milleresque to the point he's like in All Star Batman and Robin, and the Justice League will be awkwardly forced into the film.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: it was already confirmed that Bats would get more because he has to be introduced and all of that.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By d9000

I'm inclined to believe what he's saying in this article, but mostly because I want to believe. Consider that a few short clips of anyone can paint them in an untrue light.

Lex Luthor for example, if you had cut the Superman Returns trailer in a certain way he would have come off like a silly nutjob when in fact Spacey plays him as a loosing-his-mind-but-still-super-devious-evil-mastermind-with-just-a-bit-of-camp. If there's nothing more to Eisenberg's character than what we see in the BvS trailer I think they'll have bigger issues than a spoilery trailer.

And finding out that Doomsday is in the movie doesn't seem like a big deal. I mean I knew who the bad guys were in Star Wars and that didn't bother me. Why would it matter here? It would have been cool if they could have kept that a complete secret but consider that the trailer is designed to get as many people in the theater as possible. If that's their thought process why would they keep a cool character like that secret? Secrets don't help put buts in seats.

If I didn't want to know even that level of information about a movie I would simply avoid websites and articles that talk about the movie, make sure I'm not linked to anything on social media that could spoil it and not watch the trailer.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

@mrtummytumms: I guess that makes sense. Hopefully Superman at least gets a decent amount of screen time. It would really suck if he gets overshadowed by Batman and the Justice League.

DamoMinimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want it to fail, I've grown up watching various Superman and Batman films and loved them (well mostly) but I also found the trailer uninspiring.

Kudos to @muyjingo for saying the trailer leaves him apathetic instead of "meh".

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

A few years back I worked in a cinema. Surrounded by screens showing trailers for all upcoming and currently playing movies, I would see those trailers hundreds of times before I saw any new movie. Let me tell you, it takes a lot of the fun out when you know exactly with what angle the protagonist will throw what character through what window just from the colour of the wall when he steps into a room.

On topic though: I am still looking forward to this movie and I will judge it after watching.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right....ok. I mean excluding spoilers there are many other things wrong with the movie...but ok.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Are people still whining about the trailer? I didn't mind it. I was more annoyed that Doomsday, out of all the villains they use, is the one they're using. Come on, Bizarro at least. Would've been more interesting. Though I'm still gonna be there on day one.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Kidd

I genuinely believe people want Batman v Superman to fail.

kevinwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Oh my god, what's going to happen next? Are they gonna live? Are they gonna die?" There's like a 15 movie deal NO ONE IS THINKING THAT.

comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: that isn't the point, you don't advertise a movie where the plot is two guys fighting each other to show in the advertisement they will team up in the end.

that's like saying lord of the rings, should've just showed Frodo dropping the ring with Gollum in the volcano in the mountain in the trailer because i mean we all know he is going to do it.

see how your logic is flawed.

comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel: no one is whining they are complaining about certain aspects the same as you are. you aren't any different lol

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the_stegman  Moderator

@comicvine_is_jericho529: Bad metaphor. We DIDN'T know Frodo would drop the ring, it was his task, but he easily could have died, or became corrupted by it.

Conversely, the Dawn of Justice sub title confirms they will team up.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I'm more excited for this movie than I have been for any movie ever. The trailer showed a lot, yes, but the movie is over 2 and a half hours long. There's plenty of stuff left to watch (which I probably will 3 or 4 times)

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicvine_is_jericho529: they were already confirmed to team up before the trailer even came out. The fight is a big part of the movie, but that's not all the movie is about.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

HempKnight757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope he doesn't mess up Thomas Wayne's death like he did Pa Kent. But I'm sure he will add his two cents since at this point everyone knows that origin.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope he doesn't mess up Thomas Wayne's death like he did Pa Kent. But I'm sure he will add his two cents since at this point everyone knows that origin.

honestly what was the problem with his death? This is DCEU not straight from comicsU , that moment kinda was like a symbol, the coming of power

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the movie looks great, ive liked what ive seen so far and the haters need to relax....its getting old.

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thats because he knows its gonna suck

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xargo: He's prob content with it making a billion dollars. It could be a 20% for all critics and fans, at the end of the day, the green is all that matters.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

@comicvine_is_jericho529 said:

It's not the fact that the triler gave away too much

its just the movie looks like crap

Doomsday looks like crap, the fight scenes they showed don't look that interesting.

it looks llike waaayy to much is shoved in one movie.

which means pacing will be crap in the movie

and you are marketing the movie as BATMAN VS SUPERMAN

and you show them team up at the end of the trailer!?!?!??!?!

Wow. Jumping the boat much?

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this is is a fan service and fans are stupid. No one will win. However, I like the approach.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hurry up March. I want to see this sophisticated Luthor, and a good CBM in general.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Maybe we prefer the trailer for AoU, which spoiled nothing but was nothing like the actual film?

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By reactor

Sometimes I feel really hate comic book fans... a whiney, cynical bunch with an overdeveloped sense of baseless "entitlement"

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

People are more excited for this than Avengers (atleast here in Arkansas) and they should be.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.