Follow

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Movie » Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice released on March 25, 2016.

Gotham City-based vigilante Batman travels to Metropolis to preemptively combat Superman, fearing what would happen if the latter is kept unchecked, while another threat endangers humankind.

Who was the worst part of this movie - Probably spoilers.

• 51 results
    poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Poll Who was the worst part of this movie - Probably spoilers. (89 votes)

Batman- Ben Affleck, Stupid Dreams, Fat-Bat-suit, etc... 9%
    Lex Luther- Thought he was the Joker, Charles Xavier's Long hair, Had no sophistication, etc.. 28%
    Wonder Woman- Maybe too petite for the role. And spent half of her screen time bugging Bruce Wayne at parties. 0%
    Superman- Predictable Ending Scene. 8%
    Lois Lane- Still not over the red hair, fanboys? lol 1%
    Zack Snyder- It's the director's fault. 25%
    Script writers, Special Effects, Casting director, Someone else who wasn't an actor... etc... 11%
    Other. 18%

So let's be honest-- This movie is being dragged through the mud on all of it's reviews. Er'body got an opinion! LOL
    For those of us who saw it, what really ruined the movie for you?

AND

Say something positive you liked about the film. :D

• 
    poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By poisonfleur

I really think I'm done with Ben Affleck in Superhero movies after this. He looks like how I would imagine Bruce Wayne, However... his acting really didn't embody the character.. Plus that voice changed was TERRIBLE. And he was so useless in the final fight. Plus I am bored to death with seeing the Waynes get shot over and over and over and over and over and over....

Give the audience a little credit. We know the Waynes got killed long ago-- There is more to Batman than that.

On a positive note--

Wonder Woman maybe have been petite and thin-- But I thought she kicked butt!

Between that and Cyborg and Aquaman's cameo scenes-- the movie wasn't a complete waste of time.

And the movie wasn't horrible-- it just wasn't very good. 4/10 stars.

Maybe with a better cast this movie could have been better. :) (Particularly Lex and Batman..)

warrior100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

i loved it ! 4.5 stars. the movie entertained me so it did its job. i like Ben Affleck"s Batman, Wonder Woman, lex author and lois lane, i didn't like Superman.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i loved it ! 4.5 stars. the movie entertained me so it did its job. i like Ben Affleck"s Batman, Wonder Woman, lex author and lois lane, i didn't like Superman.

I'm no DC expert, but I felt the exact opposite.
    I liked Superman.
    Thought Wonder Woman was pretty much the highlight of the movie.
    And could Not stand Ben Affleck's Batman or the interpretation of Lex.
    Lois was okay.

(Granted I don't read enough Batman comics to have a weighed opinion-- I'm basing this off the previous movies and cartoons.)

warrior100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cant decide between Batman and Lex Luthor...

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked other because I got a strong impression that most of the movie's problems came from higher ups imposing things on the script writers and director in order to set up Justice League.

With some editing and maybe replacing some unnecessary sequel-set-up scenes with character driven scenes I feel Dawn of Justice could have been an amazing movie.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing and no one killed the movie for me one bit, but my criticism is not who it's a what, the pacing issues. Still didn't detract too much from my over all enjoyment of the film.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By MrMazz

It's not JUST Zack Snyder's fault (this movie screams corprate mandate and notes) but it's just so bad and he's the director and he's the one giving terrible interviews about how they had 'fun' with Jimmy Olsen. It's literally failing to function as movies do on top of just failing its characters.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Zack Snyder...

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kgb725

Apparently the Riddler is playing a long con as Lex.

Batman went psychotic dreaming of parademons and trying to kill an innocent man because his father died

Doomsday was there for no other reason than to bring the trinity together

Flimsy motivations , the obvious mental illnesses of Batman and lex x etc.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zaied

Flash; there just wasn't enough of him.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Doomsday was an ugly cgi monster was my biggest complain about the movie.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's scetchy-patchy nature, perhaps.
    Accoring to typical view here in Russia Batman was best part. Some even say that he is best Batman ever. xD

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked other because I got a strong impression that most of the movie's problems came from higher ups imposing things on the script writers and director in order to set up Justice League.

With some editing and maybe replacing some unnecessary sequel-set-up scenes with character driven scenes I feel Dawn of Justice could have been an amazing movie.

This, SOOO MUCH THIS. This movie could have been fantastic if it weren't for all the set-up pieces.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By poisonfleur

I can't believe I didn't add Doomsday as an option.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actors can only do so much with a mediocre script. That said, Eisenberg could have done much more with Lex Luthor's part than he did. It did seem like he was trying to be the joker at times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Snyder and Goyer.

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
    AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AsgardianXeno929

Hated Lex, knew I would before by the trailers and the casting in general.

Superman was pretty boring, he was like Edward in twilight (waahh why don't you love meeee)

Wonder Woman was good, a little hard to understand at times and too skinny imo, but I didn't expect to like her as much as I did.

Batman was my favorite batman so far except for the killing so casually, and sexiest batman in my opinion ;)

Doomsday embodied the film for me, could have been sooo much better but wasn't terrible and had hints of what could have been.

Lois was just pointless to me.

Action and music were great.

Story was terrible

Public was dumb (did superman do everything he could to stop the explosion instead of who actually did it)

Superhero24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Ben Affleck as Batman and Gal gadot as Wonder Woman more than Henry Cavill as Superman. Lex could have been better but wasnt terrible.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Lex Luthor. But, on a sidenote, Doomsday was handled horribly as well. It has NOTHING to do with his appearance, which I actually loved. For somebody who in the comics represented the hated enemy of all life, find it odd that he didn't kill a single innocent civilian or cause ANY panic whatsoever.

As emotional as Superman's death was, imagine how much more emotional it would have been if we had seen Doomsday slaughter countless innocents? If he was about to kill a kid, or even Lois Lane, and Superman had to sacrifice himself to stop this soulless monster from destroying the woman he loved? REAL missed opportunity with him.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By comicace3

They gave Lois the stupidest lines.

"I'm not a woman I'm a journalist"

The hell does that even mean? She was slightly annoying but it didn't bother me too much to take aways from the movie.

I was hoping Bruce did not kill, but whatever. And his motivation to kill Superman was unbelievably idiotic. It was clear Lex pushed him to the edge but he honestly did not have to jump the gun and try and kill Supes.

Clark was alright but when he threatened Bruce, it seemed a bit uncalled for. Matter of fact that whole scene was stupid. With Bruce threatening Clark.

WW was fine. The 15 minutes she was in the movie.

I was hoping lex was a bit...calmer. or Less jittery. Guy needed a sedative. The one thing that he did that was shocking was blowing up capitol hill.

Last thing: I'm not blaming the actors they did their best. But damn they needed a better script.

Side note: Half of the movie was a bit of a snore-fest. With scenes jumping around and little to no explanation. So there's that.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Batman and Superman imo. When I was watching it a third time, I did it neutrally. But as I was watching it I realized outside of them being Batman and Superman I didn't care about them. Both heroes were unlikable. Superman was too depressing and showed no emotion and Batman was too brash, he killed and too gullable. Wonder Woman was the only thing to make my straight face crack a smile. Lex was just Riddler and it was irritating.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

I will never understand the criticism of Superman "showing no emotion."

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
    deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was very disappointing. I don't think Warner Brothers or Snyder have any idea how to handle Superman.

saint_samantha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By saint_samantha

It's the script writer's fault: a lot of the flaws people've pointed out in the story are, IMO, false and can be debunked, but there are still a lot of flaws in the incomprehensible story.

Which is the shame because the rest of the film is excellent: Batman is a badass, I believe Ben Affleck is the best live action Batman, Henry Cavill is perfect as Superman, the visuals were stunning, the opening was a work of art, there were enough plot twists to engage me, I was entertained for 2.5 hours.

It's in my Top 10 CBMs, but the script was unrefined. Zack Snyder, however, is great at building and executed scenes & the actors are great. It saves the movie.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman - Better but gets whiny towards the end

Batman - Great! But goes a bit over board trying to murder Superman and then does a 180.

Lois Lane - Still don't care about her and why does she throw the weapon away only to magically realized she needed it again. Only to turn into the damsel in distress for the 3rd or 4th time in the movie

Lex Luthor - I didn't like how silly he was. I know he was supposed to seem psychotic but it was silly to me. Plus I confused. Was he Lex Luthor or Alex Luthor? People are pointing out that he was NOT Lex but rather his son Alex?

Zack Snyder - He has odd sense of humor or sense of what is fun to watch. He needs to stop directing or having a say in writing or script.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By devilsgrin81

three issues for me.

Lex was the worst of the characters... didn't feel like the Lex Luthor i've read or seen before. Almost like a bizzaro combination of Mark Zuckerberg and The Joker.

The Pacing... this could have been far far better. The Batman/Bruce drama building scenes were entirely boring and made the first hour or so of the movie almost tedious.

and whilst Ben Affleck was actually brilliant in the role, the reveal he'd been manipulated by Lex was a major weakness for the Batman character. Batman is a completely unsympathetic character in this film. He is more the antagonist than Lex is. And his "justification" is ridiculous. Thanks to Alfred for pointing out how far Bruce had fallen so many times.

Oh and the score was kind of scattered. Too much of an attempt to give each hero/villain their own theme music. Very cheesy.

Overall i loved the movie. Thought it wasn't perfect, but extremely enjoyable. WW was amazing both as Diana, and as Wonder Woman. (a little too much dramatic posing). i'd give it a 8/10... based almost entirely on Cavill's Superman, Adams' Lois and Gadot's WW. Their performances are hard to fault. I think Henry has come into the role even better this time around, and he embodies Superman and Clark almost flawlessly. Amy Adams' excellent acting chops are more than enough to balance what i believe to be miscasting. Kudos to her.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the script writer's fault: a lot of the flaws people've pointed out in the story are, IMO, false and can be debunked, but there are still a lot of flaws in the incomprehensible story.

Which is the shame because the rest of the film is excellent: Batman is a badass, I believe Ben Affleck is the best live action Batman, Henry Cavill is perfect as Superman, the visuals were stunning, the opening was a work of art, there were enough plot twists to engage me, I was entertained for 2.5 hours.

It's in my Top 10 CBMs, but the script was unrefined. Zack Snyder, however, is great at building and executed scenes & the actors are great. It saves the movie.

Zack just needs a good writer behind him. Whether that be Goyer or Sterrio is fine, but he needs A, not SOME.

But yeah, the story telling is my main issue. The bolded part I can't express enough. So many of the complaints about the film are invalid, illogical, or just plain baseless. I have yet to encounter the "Vast amount of plot craters holes" that so many people speak of.

The biggest plot-hole that the movie had was the Doomsday one, which was not even a plot-hole, just a situation that wasn't very well explained (which happens a lot in almost every CBM).

Deathstroke02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst part of the movie to me was *mild spoilers* the way the Justice League was introduced.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's far from just being Zack Snyder's fault but I voted for him because it encapsulates the overall problem of the movie best.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst part of the movie to me was *mild spoilers* the way the Justice League was introduced.

Yes! That was so dumb! So was that a secure email? DRAMATIC SCROLLING!!!

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am shocked how many people are supporting Ben Affleck's Batman....
    That fat suit... That voice changer.... That scene where you see him for the first time in the top of a corner wall.... Him using guns.... Ben Affleck doesn't have enough intimidating mystery to him to be Batman. Plus those dream sequences.... Nope.

He looks just like Bruce Wayne tho!!

majinn3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am shocked how many people are supporting Ben Affleck's Batman..

That fat suit... That voice changer.... That scene where you see him for the first time in the top of a corner wall.... Him using guns.... Ben Affleck doesn't have enough intimidating mystery to him to be Batman. Plus those dream sequences.... Nope.

The suit is light-year's better than that over-designed, bulky mess that Bale was wearing, (and couldn't even move around in). I loved the Jim Lee/ Frank Miller influence.

I admit they could have done a much better job on the voice changer. But even that sounded better than the throat cancer/ screamo voice from Bale in my opinion.

What was wrong with that scene? I though it was brilliant the way they set that up and Batman looked scary as hell. Without the use of shaky, constantly moving cameras I might ad.

Batman killed people and used guns in his earliest comic depictions. Plus nearly every other Movie Batman killed at least 1 person so.....

The dream sequences (though admittedly annoying and unnecessary) have nothing to do with Afflecks performance. So I don't know what you were implying.

Overall I would Say Affleck captured Batman much better than Bale did. He has the build, the costume the tone, and don't even get me started on the fighting. His Bruce Wayne was considerably less elegant, more aggressive and gruff. But that might just be what the director wanted. I will say that Christian Bale is a far better actor than Ben and was hindered more by shitty direction than anything. if he was in Affleck's position Bale would have done just as well, if not better.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Lex was the only character that I was really iffy about. They basically turned him into a Batman villain.

Batfleck is the only character that got me excited for their upcoming solo. WW didn't appear long to get me hyped and Superman suffers from MoS personality where he just reacts to whatever everyone else does/says.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@majinn3 said:
    @poisonfleur said:

I am shocked how many people are supporting Ben Affleck's Batman..

The suit is light-year's better than that over-designed, bulky mess that Bale was wearing, (and couldn't even move around in). I loved the Jim Lee/ Frank Miller influence.

I admit they could have done a much better job on the voice changer. But even that sounded better than the throat cancer/ screamo voice from Bale in my opinion.

What was wrong with that scene? I though it was brilliant the way they set that up and Batman looked scary as hell. Without the use of shaky, constantly moving cameras I might ad.

Batman killed people and used guns in his earliest comic depictions. Plus nearly every other Movie Batman killed at least 1 person so.....

The dream sequences (though admittedly annoying and unnecessary) have nothing to do with Afflecks performance. So I don't know what you were implying.

Overall I would Say Affleck captured Batman much better than Bale did. He has the build, the costume the tone, and don't even get me started on the fighting. His Bruce Wayne was considerably less elegant, more aggressive and gruff. But that might just be what the director wanted. I will say that Christian Bale is a far better actor than Ben and was hindered more by shitty direction than anything. if he was in Affleck's position Bale would have done just as well, if not better.

-Having a fat-batsuit braced between the walls was funny and almost a joke to me.

And yes his fight scenes did seem like he was a grunt-like. Batman, to me, was more swift to the point of flawless with his fighting.

In the film I felt like I was watching Batman's Dad fight. Imo, Wonder Woman had the best fighting sequence. She practically soloed Doomsday.

-Touche with Bale's voice vs. the voice changer.
    -Ben Affleck's performance seemed way too human at times when he was Batman. Excessive blinking, breathing through the mouth while driving, and not as collected and enigmatic as the other Batman actors. Other Batman actors wouldn't even blink and had the death glare and presence. I didn't get that from Affleck. But I will swear up and down-- he looks like Bruce Wayne.
    -Plus some of the lines (for everyone, not just Batman were stupid) when he says to Superman 'I thought she was with you.' In seemed almost contradicting. Didn't he meet WW and speak to her multiple times??? It seemed like a -derp- moment.

Too many elements for the character that collectively overkilled Batman for me.

I did like Superman-- With that said I haven't seen Man of Steel.
    Also Aquaman's scene!

majinn3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur:

Good points:

The writing definitely was stale, I still can't get over the infamous "Martha" lines. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman though was the worst offense to me. I can live with her not resembling the character at all. But its the fact that she can't act, can't fight and didn't remove her accent that bugged me. Her fight with doomsday (IMO) looked really badly staged. The choreography was too simplistic and It was obvious in some instances where the different shots were cut together. Plus the CGI models and effects were less than ideal "cough Doomsday".

I wished the final fight was just Superman vs Doomsday. It would have been much more dramatic and its not like Wonder Woman was that necessary to begin with.

Stupidfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved Batfeck. More burtal less off the acrobatic fighting that Marvel is starting to do more of. The dreams took away from the movie. A good scene where Bats kick the crap out of a mugging a woman would have set up what drives him better, in my opinion.

Martha scene was very flat and had little emotion. I blame that on Henry's acting and the fact Louis was there instead of some more dialogue between characters.

Cramming the rest of the League in there. Should have introduced one and let the others come in more fluidly in another film.

The CGI was okay but very heavy during the chase scene and I thought it unnecessarily heavy there.

More dialogue and stop trying to cram 10lbs of Sh!t in a 5lb bag and the next movie will be better.

3.5/5 for the movie, .5 added just for the new bat. Totally stoked about new Batman movie.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Gracetrack

Nothing ruined it for me. Thought it was fantastic on just about all fronts. 8.5-9 out of 10.

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What ruined the movie for me was Batman killing people. The movie, for a lot of reasons, is a total mess of a movie, but Batman killing ruined it.

rukus4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By rukus4ever

The worst part of the film is the sloppy way in which the comic plots of The New 52 Justice League origin story, The Death of Superman and The Dark Knight Returns were both translated and executed in Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. All of the heart and characterization of the comics was missing. In essence, WB and Snyder sucked the soul out of the stories and then made a movie of whatever was left over.

Irksome items include: Superman portrayed as unable to save his mother without Batman (I simply didn't buy it based on Superman's demonstrated power set, the setup in the movie, and the way they tried to sell it); Wonder Woman wasn't in the movie enough and barely interacted with Superman (they shared 1, three-line conversation immediately prior to fighting Doomsday; The Lex Luthor imposter (not sure who that actually was); Lex easily subverting Kryptonian ship defenses that were nearly killing unrecognized lifeforms in MoS (not that he couldn't have figured it out as classic, genius Lex, but that's not who we were working with and even if he was they didn't execute this well i.e. they didn't play it well it enough for me to suspend disbelief).

What I liked:

1) Superman - He remained a hero throughout the entire story and the groundwork is laid for him being the inspiration for this generation of heroes. It's paper thin though, since Snyder barely drew any attention to this other than Batman's words to Wonder Woman at Clark's funeral. Henry Cavill shined as Clark, again.

2) Perry White - Laurence Fishburne is doing a great job with this role.

3) Wonder Woman - It was great to finally see this character on the big screen. Her fierceness, fearlessness and aggression on the battlefield was true to the character.

3) Alfred Pennyworth - Jeremy Irons was great! The way he continually attempted to sarcastically mentor Bruce through the psychosis was a nice touch.

4) Ben Affleck - I am adding this because I was one of the dissidents when it was reported that he was cast. However, I'll eat crow because I think he did a pretty good job with what he was given to work with for Bruce and Batman.

5) Feats. Consider it the Sci-Fi/Fantasy fan in me, but I love seeing the feats. Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman had some great feats in this movie.

6) The Batmobile - I've always been a fan of the sleeker look for the Caped Crusader's ride.

I discussed this movie with a longtime friend and we have come to the conclusion that WB and Zack Snyder bit off more than they could chew with all the content they tried to cram into this movie and didn't pull it off. It wasn't terrible, but wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination. 7/10

jackiplier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zack's fault.

Jesse did nothing wrong here, it is all Zack's fault for bad casting and dumb story telling.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thecapeddetective
    TheCapedDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Batman, Wonder Woman and Alfred were great. Lex was a disaster and Superman was very much oit of character. The overall plot was very rushed up. There was no need to put Doomsday either.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.