Who should have directed Batman v Superman

#1 Posted by Ace20XD6 (270 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the movie would have been better if someone else directed, giving Snyder more time to prep Justice League and set up the other DCEU films, especially one who knows how to write a cohesive narrative. But who do you think Warner Bros. could have realistically gotten to do it?

I was thinking Noam Murro, director of Smart people and 300: Rise of an Empire, a movie produced by Snyder.

Beyond that all I could think of is Ben Affleck. If you don't know he directed The Town, Argo, and Gone Baby Gone, the movie could have been more of a well written character drama if he directed and Snyder would help out with the special effects scenes, possibly making them better than they were in the movie. Anyways what are your thoughts?

#2 Edited by warrior100 (2163 posts) - - Show Bio

Mathhew Vaughn. He would have made the film a bit lighter.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#3 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17221 posts) - - Show Bio

I think what Batman v Superman was trying to accomplish was extremely difficult. Zack did a good enough job, he's set up a world where all these guys could exist and gave us a good fight between the two.

@warrior100: light doesn't equal good.

#4 Posted by warrior100 (2163 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness: but that's most people hate about the film was that it was too dark.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#5 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17221 posts) - - Show Bio

@warrior100: hmm I personally haven't seen that. I've seen people say it's too serious, bad pacing, poor editing. But not too dark. But it is what it is.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone more influenced from All Star Superman rather than the Dark Knight Returns.

#7 Posted by Ace20XD6 (270 posts) - - Show Bio

@warrior100: But Matthew Vaughn was working on Kingsman, he even turned down the X-men sequel to do it. I was thinking of someone that could have actually done it, and darkness was the least of BvS's problems.

#8 Edited by warrior100 (2163 posts) - - Show Bio

@ace20xd6: yeah i get it. i'm just saying a lot of people was really turned off by the movie. i'm one of the few that like it.

#9 Edited by Ace20XD6 (270 posts) - - Show Bio

@warrior100: It's really more of an overall narrative structure and story problem. With Donald Trump's presidential campaign their attempt to modernize Lex as this millennial tech genius came off a bit dated, plus his overall personality fit Toyman and Riddler way better, especially since his motivation ended up being, "I hate God ever since Daddy beat me." Doomsday was shoehorned in and looked horrible.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#10 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (11728 posts) - - Show Bio

Zack Snyder.

#11 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone more influenced from All Star Superman rather than the Dark Knight Returns.

#12 Posted by SilverPool (4562 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much anybody who didn't like Frank Miller's All Star or Returns and actually knew how to develop Superman properly would be a better candidate.

#13 Posted by Kibo (282 posts) - - Show Bio

Sam Taylor-Johnson

#14 Posted by Ace20XD6 (270 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey:I mean someone who can also write well and not kill Jimmy Olsen in the first half hour and find that fun.

@kibo: That's a good choice, Nowhere Boy was good,and if she had I'm sure she'd been fine with missing out on directing Fifty Shades of Grey.

#16 Edited by Ace20XD6 (270 posts) - - Show Bio

There's also Brad Peyton, who was working on a Lobo movie with Dwayne The Rock Johnson, if he directed the movie might have been better paced.

#17 Posted by TheSaiyanMan (1745 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolan

#18 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11728 posts) - - Show Bio

@ace20xd6 said:

@petey_is_spidey:I mean someone who can also write well and not kill Jimmy Olsen in the first half hour and find that fun.

@kibo: That's a good choice, Nowhere Boy was good,and if she had I'm sure she'd been fine with missing out on directing Fifty Shades of Grey.

Oh please. Most people didn't even notice that was Jimmy until people told them. Plus, Jimmy is a minor character that isn't needed in the lore.

#19 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Tbh I didn't think the movie was that much influenced by TDKR.

#20 Posted by silvanoshei (46 posts) - - Show Bio

"In" Joss "we trust" Whedon or J.J. Abrams :)

#21 Posted by Ace20XD6 (270 posts) - - Show Bio

This might sound crazy but I think Brett Ratner actually could have done a better job.

#22 Edited by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfonso Cuaron,David Yates,Kenneth Branagh.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
#23 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@ace20xd6 said:

This might sound crazy but I think Brett Ratner actually could have done a better job.

At least it would have been enjoyable on some level

X-Men 3 may have been a flawed movie, but it's still enjoyable to sit through with your brain shut off

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#24 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: Jimmy may not be "needed" in the lore, but he is still popular one of my favorites in fact and helps add supporting characters to Superman's world. Jimmy if you used properly can help humanize Clark which was something this movie desperately needed. Most characters arent "needed" but are added to help add color and life to stories as well as characters to interact with. All you really "need" is a hero and a villain everything else is just fluff. Jimmy Olsen like Lois Lane help humanize Clark not in just the way that "oh he's an all powerful alien that must be reminded of his humanity" but also that actual people have friends and people they talk to and giving fictional characters friends makes them more believable in that sense. Sure Jimmy Olsen cant really help him take on Doomsday, but he can be there for when he needs a friend to talk to or someone besides his girlfriend or mom to give him a pep talk and help him decide what is right.

#25 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (11728 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkdetective27 said:

@petey_is_spidey: Jimmy may not be "needed" in the lore, but he is still popular one of my favorites in fact and helps add supporting characters to Superman's world. Jimmy if you used properly can help humanize Clark which was something this movie desperately needed. Most characters arent "needed" but are added to help add color and life to stories as well as characters to interact with. All you really "need" is a hero and a villain everything else is just fluff. Jimmy Olsen like Lois Lane help humanize Clark not in just the way that "oh he's an all powerful alien that must be reminded of his humanity" but also that actual people have friends and people they talk to and giving fictional characters friends makes them more believable in that sense. Sure Jimmy Olsen cant really help him take on Doomsday, but he can be there for when he needs a friend to talk to or someone besides his girlfriend or mom to give him a pep talk and help him decide what is right.

Yeah, I agree, but Lois Lane and Ma Kent are more than enough characters to remind him of his humanity. They provide emotional support and are there to lift his spirits when he's down. Shoot, Batman being Supe's best friend and all will be able to fill the void. And Clark was humanized in the film.

This is not like if they got rid of Aunt May in Spiderman, or killed off Alfred. THOSE would have been big deals. You ask your average casual superhero fan who's Aunt May or Alfred, they'll be able to tell you. Jimmy, not so much.

#26 Edited by Ace20XD6 (270 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for batofgotham2000
#27 Posted by batofgotham2000 (447 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Joss Whedon or James Cameron. Also would have considered Affleck and George Miller.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.