Predict the Batman vs Superman: DOJ Box Office

• 189 results
#151 Posted by kfabz-23 (6135 posts) - - Show Bio

Too much hype after that trailer 1 billion.

#152 Posted by entropy_aegis (20999 posts) - - Show Bio

1.3 billion if it gets good reviews, I dont see it touching the original Avengers numbers,I except similar numbers for CA: Civil War.

#153 Posted by Batman1130 (1464 posts) - - Show Bio

Around 2 billion

#154 Posted by strangetales (1785 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's safe to say it will be over a billion

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#155 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

$50

No, Id say 1.5 billion maybe more. Obviously this isnt the kind of movie that will be the highest grossing film or close. I do think that this will be my favorite cbm. It looks so incredible.

#156 Edited by Truth_Teller (2100 posts) - - Show Bio
#157 Edited by zaied (7231 posts) - - Show Bio

Assuming it's a solid film, I don't see why it doesn't make more than TDKR.

I'll go 1.2 billion.

#158 Posted by acer51 (2695 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:

@uncanny_doom: obviously it doesn't have a commercial yet, it comes out in almost 2 years

and yeah, the first captain did sooo much better than mos (ca:tfa=$370 mil, mos=$668 mil)

oh wait, worldwide, supes first movie almost doubled caps first movie

MoS isn't superman's first movie...

Might as well be, it's the best Superman movie ever and was so awesome even a Marvel fan like me must count it as one of his all time favorites.

#159 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

It's going to be interesting to look back at this thread once the film comes out.

#160 Posted by Transformaa (1079 posts) - - Show Bio

1.8 billion when it's all said and done

#161 Edited by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio

Its going to make between 700-1.7 billion world wide. Dont see it making more or less then this figure margin. I know one thing for sure when its all said and done, critics, audience members, comic fans and everybody in general is going to be really surprised by the total world wide box office results of Batman V Supes. Its a spectacle featuring the two most popular comic book superheros of all time, people all around the world are going to see this film in droves.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#162 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11845 posts) - - Show Bio

Floor: $480 million domestically, $1 billion worldwide (I'd be very, VERY surprised if it made anything less then this.)

Ceiling: $800 million domestically, $2 billion worldwide (This movie has all the hype, now its just a matter of if it can deliver. And if it can, then I truly believe it can beat out SW7).

My safe bet though is $500 million domestically and $1.4 billion worldwide.

#163 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

Floor: $480 million domestically, $1 billion worldwide (I'd be very, VERY surprised if it made anything less then this.)

Ceiling: $800 million domestically, $2 billion worldwide (This movie has all the hype, now its just a matter of if it can deliver. And if it can, then I truly believe it can beat out SW7).

My safe bet though is $500 million domestically and $1.4 billion worldwide.

Pretty much this right here

#164 Posted by NeonGameWave (19333 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the movie will do very well but I disagree when it comes to the idea that this movie will be the biggest comic book movie of 2016. I think Captain America: Civil War will end up outperforming this movie it has Iron Man and Cap fighting against one another and the Avengers effect is still in effect with this movie also add in Spider-Man (who has the highest value when it comes to merchandise), and this movie will do Avengers numbers or more also for the simple fact that Civil War is a direct followup to the Winter Soldier. Civil War will also be more accepted all-around amongst all audiences due to the amazing critical reception.

#165 Posted by storm-is-life (854 posts) - - Show Bio

While I am fairly sure BvS will cross the $1.3 billion mark, Suicide Squad might surprise due to how hype people are for it.

#166 Posted by Batman3000 (5652 posts) - - Show Bio

IDK. Perhaps like TFA it will surprise people with how much it makes. Maybe 1.6 billion?

#167 Edited by Slayz (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll just give a prediction for all 2016 films for comparison;

BvS - Low End, 900 Mil. High End, 1.5 Bil.

Civil War - Low End, 850 Mil. High End, 1.3 Bil.

Deadpool - Low End, 500 Mil. High End, 800 Mil.

Suicide Squad - Low End, 700 Mil. High End, 900 Mil.

Gambit - Low End, 300 Mil. High End, 550 Mil.

X-Men Apoc - Low End, 750 mil. High End, 1 Bil.

Dr Strange - Low End, 600 Mil. High End, 850 mil.

#168 Posted by Asgaard (4573 posts) - - Show Bio

Long range forecast Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice (domestic only)

PROS:

- 2013's Man of Steel opened with $116.6 million (when not including its Thursday Walmart previews) and went on to gross $291.0 million domestically.

- As mentioned, adding both Batman and Wonder Woman into the DC Universe mix should help lead to a healthy increase over the performance of Man of Steel, as Batman v Superman has more of an event feel to it thanks to those additions.

- Early Twitter activity for Batman v Superman has been healthy, but not out of this world. This far out the film has been performing stronger than Jurassic World and Furious 7, but significantly softer than Avengers: Age of Ultron at the same point in their respective cycles.

- With the performance of Batman v Superman being extremely important to the future of the DC Extended Universe going forward, Warner Bros. will be sure to push the film as hard as it can.

CONS:

- While Man of Steel performed well at the box office, critical reaction to the film was mixed and word of mouth among moviegoers was fairly average.

- The decision to relaunch Batman so soon after The Dark Knight Rises does have a level of risk to it, especially given how highly The Dark Knight Trilogy is regarded among moviegoers.

- Demand for Batman v Superman could be limited a bit by so many other high-profile comic book adaptations being released in such a relative short amount of time. Fox's Deadpool, Disney's Captain America: Civil War, Fox's X-Men: Apocalypse and fellow Warner / DC Extended Universe film Suicide Squad(which features The Joker, among others) will all be released between February 12 and August 5.

TITLERELEASE DATEDISTRIBUTOROPENING WEEKENDCUMULATIVE
Batman v Superman: Dawn of JusticeMar 25, 2016Warner Bros.$154,000,000$380,000,000
#169 Edited by DonatelloRawks (1324 posts) - - Show Bio

I never really like going into detailed modelling of projected revenue, because its based on so many assumptions which current computers cannot capture and account for.

So I am just going to predict it simplistically, knowing that my chances of being correct are not that far off from the computer's anyway.

Based on Man of Steel's reception of mixed but still good revenue, Batman v Superman's hot yet not-as-hot-as-Avengers reception of the trailers, AND how well-received the character of Batman was back in the Nolan movies..... I would say Batman v Superman would at best hit Avengers: Age of Ultron's box office revenue, which I would say to be around US$1.2 to US$1.5 billion.

If its going to get a mixed reception yet again when the actual movie runs, it might actually end up just below US$1 billion.

It all depends on how hot the character of Batman is.... Nolan's Batman did get quite a good reception and hence great box office revenue. I would say Batman is the MVP for box office revenue for Batman v Superman.

#170 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11845 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this movie's biggest benefactor will be word of mouth; how well received will this movie be. I don't think people inherently disliked MoS in terms of quality, but rather didn't like the new spin on Superman. If BvS is received the same way, it could make as little as $1 billion (but that's the absolute lowest).

However, is this movie is as well received as the Nolan-Batman (and how MoS should have been), I legitimately see it making as much as $2 billion; after all, it has Batman, Superman, AND Wonder Woman.

But making estimations off of Twitter noise and trailer viewings can be misleading. Sure, no movie that gets 55 million views in its first trailer in one month is gonna flop at the box office. However, as Avatar shows, even the most unexpected movies can gross a butt-load. Also, as previously mentioned, Twitter is also not always the best indicator when it comes to predicting success. Furious 7 and JW had less twitter talk than AoU, but both grossed higher. It really all comes down to how much people enjoy the film.

#171 Posted by Space_Coyote (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

No way is it making 2 billion. The Force Awakens didn't even make 2 billion. The movie will probably receive average reviews since that's what Snyder's movies tend to get, compared to TFA's rave reviews. So it might be more front loaded than Star Wars. I'd say 1.5 billion worldwide tops.

#172 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/mar/15/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-1bn-ticket-sales-snyder-affleck-cavill

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is on course to be the first $1bn movie of 2016, according to advance US ticket sales.

Deadline reports Zack Snyder’s superhero epic, which pitches Ben Affleck’s caped crusader against Henry Cavill’s Man of Steel, is outpacing the 2012 films The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers, and last year’s Fast & Furious 7, in terms of upfront receipts. All three movies breached the $1bn (£706m) mark worldwide, with the latter pair both scoring more than $1.5bn.

Batman v Superman has reportedly posted advance US sales of $20m-$25m, which tallies with Deadline’s previous prediction of a global opening weekend in the region of $300-$340m. Such figures would place it well inside the top 15 openings of all time.

#173 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (11845 posts) - - Show Bio

Minimum: $300 million domestically, $900 million worldwide

Maximum: $600 million domestically, $2 billion worldwide

I'm expecting a $450 domestic performance with $1.4 billion worldwide.

#174 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#175 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

Domestically: 250-350 million

Worldwide: 400-500 million.

#176 Posted by zackisme (374 posts) - - Show Bio

I got a feeling that this movie will drop like a brick next weekend and I don't want that to happen.

#177 Posted by mysticmedivh (32254 posts) - - Show Bio

One dollar.

#178 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackisme: This movie could be frontloaded with a monster first weekend, then drop off. It's about weekend 2 for me as well. We know this movie is most likely going to be big this weekend, but will the 2nd weekend be weak as hell once all of the diehards have seen the film?

@theexile285: So about 850? Give or take is the max?

#179 Edited by zackisme (374 posts) - - Show Bio

@lukehero: That's a very conservative, but safe estimate. One I can agree with. MOS dropped considerably it's second weekend and BvS may be no different.

#180 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11845 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that Worldwide INCLUDING the domestic figures? Because if so, that's laughable...

#181 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio
#182 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: No. He means 850 max, which isn't laughable in face of what's going on right now.

#183 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

@theexile285 said:

Is that Worldwide INCLUDING the domestic figures? Because if so, that's laughable...

No, its not including domestic figures.

#184 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
#185 Posted by BullPR (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

:-)

#186 Posted by Love (356 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, so much hype. Here comes the 1b.

Oh wait.....

#187 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11845 posts) - - Show Bio

@lukehero said:

@petey_is_spidey: Boy was everyone wrong...

Lol, IKR. Well, I was kinda right with my minimum prediction. It's almost at $900 million; it should even out at around $880 million.

But yeah, we were way off.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#188 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

The big question here is were people overconfident in the appeal of Batman and Superman together onscreen or did it being a terrible movie kill the chance of it making a lot.

#189 Posted by makhai (3389 posts) - - Show Bio
#190 Edited by MICKEY-MOUSE (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

@makhai: I take my hat off to @joker13csc: If you're still online, man can you pick some lottery numbers for me?

#191 Posted by Joker13CSC (260 posts) - - Show Bio

@lukehero: Haha thanks man and here you go: 7, 19, 28, 31, 36, and Powerball 13 i want a cut if you win!

#192 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
#193 Posted by theCrazyBean (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

I just laughed so much. Sorry for the unnecessary bump but I wanted

#194 Posted by Clamps (389 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a billion.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.