Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

@erik said:

@matthewparker said:

@frozen said:

@matthewparker: The Avengers is not more popular. The TDK trilogy had no 3D; whereas Iron Man did.

Placing Batman and Superman, two of the most iconic characters in the SAME film is a milestone, opposed to having them individual. There needn't even be a buildup (as Avengers had). People who have no interest in comic books or perhaps even comic book movies will watch it solely because two of the most iconic fictional characters will share screen time in a live action film.

Sure, i never said it wasn't i just don't think it will gross more than 2.7 billion.

I don't see why not. Dawn of Justice will apparently also have 3D, which will boost its gross.

Well we will see, at this point all we can do is speculate. I'm sticking with my earlier statement that it won't gross more than 2.7 billion.

Fair enough.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@frozen:

This is illogical. Avengers made 50% more money than TDK or TDKR. You're saying that boost is solely based off of 3-D price jumps? 3-D is not 50% more than 2-D, much less everyone going only to the 3-D showing.

Additionally, character popularity has little to do with box office. Man if Steel was 3-D, yet made less than Guardians of The Galaxy, a complete unknown commodity. The audience cares more if the movie is any good than if the characters are famous.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@erik said:

@uncanny_doom said:

@erik said:

@matthewparker said:

@erik said:

It's going to be the highest grossing film of all time. Even after being adjusted for inflation. So whatever that is.

Seriously doubt that, but it's definitely going to gross at least 1 billion.

Avengers took 3rd place with 1.5 bil and it's not nearly as popular as Batman or Superman.

What planet are you living on? The best Batman movies of all time were marketed better than Avengers, one of them is better than Avengers, and Avengers still outgrossed them.

You should build up to your emotional extremes in order to avoid looking like a lunatic. This was not a discussion about quality, speedy. This was only about money. Avengers has never been as popular as Batman or Superman. This is the first time both of these iconic characters are going to be... assembled in one big-budget film. I would bet you your next anger-management counseling session that Dawn of Justice is going to kill Avengers' gross.

Relax, there's no need for the attitude.

Popularity and impact of characters in comics is different from their popularity in movies and to the general public. Superman isn't the most popular superhero anymore. In fact he seems to be one of the most love/hate characters at this point in time. Also, quality does influence a movie's ability to generate money. I'm just taking an honest, realistic look at this and it is extremely, almost blindly hopeful to think that with nothing but set pictures and mixed casting news that this movie will break a billion dollars or be the highest grossing movie ever.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@matthewparker: and the first avenger isn't caps first movie either, but in this series/continuity it is, and even if you count superman returns it still did better than the first avenger

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Erik

@uncanny_doom said:

Relax, there's no need for the attitude.

Popularity and impact of characters in comics is different from their popularity in movies and to the general public. Superman isn't the most popular superhero anymore. In fact he seems to be one of the most love/hate characters at this point in time. Also, quality does influence a movie's ability to generate money. I'm just taking an honest, realistic look at this and it is extremely, almost blindly hopeful to think that with nothing but set pictures and mixed casting news that this movie will break a billion dollars or be the highest grossing movie ever.

The irony being that you initiated a conversation with attitude?

Superman is certainly more popular than Captain America. Comic book movies have just gotten much better than they used to be, ergo, the reason why they have gotten higher grosses as time has gone on. Avengers was not better than TDK but it did come after TDK, which can easily be marked as one of the movies that has defined the genre and set the bar of expectation for CBMs in the last 10 years.

You aren't being honest, though. The best claim you can possibly make is that you are being just as blind as I am, only in the opposite direction. Wow, you are so cool with your cynicism. I bet everyone flocks to you to hear your wise words and special brand of 'honesty'.

What has been released to the public so far is absolutely not what I am basing my opinion off of. In fact, I made no mention of any of that stuff, nor did I imply that it had any basis in the opinion I making. So thanks for the strawman argument, as well.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@mrnoital said:

@matthewparker: and the first avenger isn't caps first movie either, but in this series/continuity it is, and even if you count superman returns it still did better than the first avenger

Ok well if we count Superman Returns, and Cap: the first Avenger as the first movies. then out of their second films Cap grossed more.

MoS: $688 vs Captain America: The Winter Soldier $714

i_like_swords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@erik said:

You should build up to your emotional extremes in order to avoid looking like a lunatic. This was not a discussion about quality, speedy. This was only about money. Avengers has never been as popular as Batman or Superman. This is the first time both of these iconic characters are going to be... assembled in one big-budget film. I would bet you your next anger-management counseling session that Dawn of Justice is going to kill Avengers' gross.

Gold.

Joker13CSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go ahead and say that it makes around 875 million.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matthewparker: but you shouldn't count superman returns, as it wasn't connected and wasn't adding any hype like cap had being part of a continuing series of movies

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mrnoital said:

@matthewparker: but you shouldn't count superman returns, as it wasn't connected and wasn't adding any hype like cap had being part of a continuing series of movies

That's arguable. Man of Steel did a lot to hype itself up as being the antithesis of Superman Returns. In a way, Superman Returns still gave it something to establish itself as and get people excited.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FearTheLiving

@frozen: I'm a glass half empty guy. If it passes the billion dollar mark I'll go streaking out of joy and rub it in the face of MoS haters

Huh? BvS making money doesn't make MOS better lol

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#63  Edited By EyeDCyou

@erik: @uncanny_doom: @matthewparker: Yes MoS was shown in 3D.

@mrnoital said:

Ok well if we count Superman Returns, and Cap: the first Avenger as the first movies. then out of their second films Cap grossed more.

Superman Returns was supposed to be Superman 5 so it shouldn't be counted in there at all.

People are getting pretty upset over minor details now...

If you want to compare the jump from MoS to BvS to something in the MCU, the best thing to compare it to is Iron man 2 to Avengers. Iron Man is the flagship of the MCU just like MoS is going to be. Iron Man 2 grossed around 600 mil and the avengers did about 1.5. MoS also grossed 600 mil. It isn't crazy to think that BvS could make it to that revenue range.

I'm going to try and explain my views on hype similar to how I do with Avengers... BvS has the capability to gross close to 1B (+/- 100m) purely based on its hype, name, and fanbase. I say the same thing with Avengers 2. Its name, hype, & fanbase are so large that it can gross 1B even if the film isn't very good. BvS is still a pretty far away off.. we have to remember that. We still have more than a year until it opens, and hype will surely build in between now and then. That's true of any movie. If BvS is GREAT it might be able to gross around 1.3B-1.5B. If it is Good to decent it could probably gross 1.2B-1B. If it is mediocre to bad, I think it might pull in 950M-800M.

Us arguing about hype and making comparisons that are in no way relevant aren't really helping anyone's cause. I have spoken.

4Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By 4Thor

@eyedcyou: Did WB/Dc made already a connected universe before B v S like Marvel studios did before The Avengers, MCU innovation in cinemas was "Everything is Connected".

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4thor said:

@eyedcyou: Did WB/Dc made already a connect universe before B v S like Marvel studios did before The Avengers, MCU innovation in cinemas was "Everything is Connected".

If you're asking "Did WB establish a connected universe before BvS" then... kinda. We didn't know that a shared universe was being established for sure until the reveal of BvS. There are plenty of Easter Eggs in MoS though that provide proof that other heroes exist in the same universe.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#66  Edited By wildvine

@erik: Chill out. If you can't discuss this in civil tones then don't reply.

EdgeJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

300 million, it aint avengers baby

4Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: But Man of Steel solo movie can't be compared in terms of "establish a connected universe" with the 5 movies before Avengers that marvel studios made. Avengers was critically acclaimed but the sensation of connected universe help a lot in the worldwide box office! In my opinion B v S doesn't have that sensation, only the movie after will have!

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By EyeDCyou

@4thor said:

@eyedcyou: But Man of Steel solo movie can't be compared in terms of "establish a connected universe" with the 5 movies before Avengers that marvel studios made. Avengers was critically acclaimed but the sensation of connected universe help a lot in the worldwide box office! In my opinion B v S doesn't have that sensation, only the movie after will have!

A lot of people seem worried about that. WB is just setting up this universe differently. The Justice League is really never "assembled" like the Avengers usually are. The Justice League is pretty much always created by accident. But that isn't really your point haha so I understand what you mean about the lack of a pre-established shared universe. That definitely helped Marvel with The Avengers. BvS is only the first shared film though. It ISN'T the Justice League. It is the prequel to the Justice League. So we'll have to wait for that film to be sure.

@edgejohn said:

300 million? I hope you're joking haha.

4Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Ok. i know this about the box office but it's to early to make any prediction, there isn't a trailer yet!

Fans Expectations # Regular Audiences Expectations

But 1 Billion is guaranteed!

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I don't think people should predict over 1b. You really don't know what goes into film gross if you're making statements like "I guarantee"

It will make more than MoS, and probably more than TDK or TDKR, but I'm not going to say things like "I guarantee"

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@edgejohn said:

This must be a joke. MOS, despite not being that great of a movie still made almost 700 million worldwide. Now with two of the most recognizable characters non comic book readers should easily be able to recognize joining together on an on-screen team up, it should pass or reach near the billion mark. That said I feel it won't make it past the $1.6 billion mark.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

@erik: @uncanny_doom: @matthewparker: Yes MoS was shown in 3D.

@matthewparker said:

@mrnoital said:

Superman Returns was supposed to be Superman 5 so it shouldn't be counted in there at all.

People are getting pretty upset over minor details now...

If you want to compare the jump from MoS to BvS to something in the MCU, the best thing to compare it to is Iron man 2 to Avengers. Iron Man is the flagship of the MCU just like MoS is going to be. Iron Man 2 grossed around 600 mil and the avengers did about 1.5. MoS also grossed 600 mil. It isn't crazy to think that BvS could make it to that revenue range.

I'm going to try and explain my views on hype similar to how I do with Avengers... BvS has the capability to gross close to 1B (+/- 100m) purely based on its hype, name, and fanbase. I say the same thing with Avengers 2. Its name, hype, & fanbase are so large that it can gross 1B even if the film isn't very good. BvS is still a pretty far away off.. we have to remember that. We still have more than a year until it opens, and hype will surely build in between now and then. That's true of any movie. If BvS is GREAT it might be able to gross around 1.3B-1.5B. If it is Good to decent it could probably gross 1.2B-1B. If it is mediocre to bad, I think it might pull in 950M-800M.

Us arguing about hype and making comparisons that are in no way relevant aren't really helping anyone's cause. I have spoken.

I'm not upset at all, lol. If you read any of my other posts you would know i was in agreement that BvS would at least 1b, I was just telling this guy it didn't seem like a fair comparison (comparing Cap 1 to MoS) since Superman has already had other successful films before Man of Steel, but for Cap you could basically consider Captain America: The First Avenger as his first movie.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If its done right and is great, this will he the highest grossing movie of all time. Mark my words.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Erik

@wildvine said:

@erik: Chill out. If you can't discuss this in civil tones then don't reply.

Yeah. Because this is me not 'chill'... How about I go cry to some mods for his equal use of tone? Or would you decide that my crying isn't as important as his? Nothing I said broke any rules. Why don't you focus on those that do?

@erik said:

The irony being that you initiated a conversation with attitude?

Superman is certainly more popular than Captain America. Comic book movies have just gotten much better than they used to be, ergo, the reason why they have gotten higher grosses as time has gone on. Avengers was not better than TDK but it did come after TDK, which can easily be marked as one of the movies that has defined the genre and set the bar of expectation for CBMs in the last 10 years.

You aren't being honest, though. The best claim you can possibly make is that you are being just as blind as I am, only in the opposite direction. Wow, you are so cool with your cynicism. I bet everyone flocks to you to hear your wise words and special brand of 'honesty'.

What has been released to the public so far is absolutely not what I am basing my opinion off of. In fact, I made no mention of any of that stuff, nor did I imply that it had any basis in the opinion I making. So thanks for the strawman argument, as well.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By wildvine

@erik: If you have a questions about this you can Pm me.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

@erik: If you have a questions about this you can Pm me.

I don't.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dagmar_merrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Could be as low as 800m or as high as 1.7B Imo.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Huh? BvS making money doesn't make MOS better lol

Its not about that, it's because certain people want this movie to fail because they didn't like MoS. They don't want the DCCU to start with MoS, which is not only the beginning but a major component of how the DC heroes will start to form

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Jonez_

I'll put my money on (hehe pun intended) around 800 million to 1 billion.

These dudes saying it's gonna be 2.5 billion+ are insane though.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One hundred billion dollars.

*Cue dramatic music*

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor:

That’s really extreme but if for some miraculous reason it came true, that would be totally awesome.

Personally I don’t really see the movie making more than something like Avengers/ The Dark Knight Rises / Iron Man 3.

Frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87  Edited By Frozen

@havenless: It is not illogical. Both Dark Knight films received far more praise than Iron Man 3 yet made less. The former two films were not really family friendly.

There's a difference between Superman in contrast to Batman AND Superman.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

$1.2 billion.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Predictions away.

My prediction: $1.4 billion

Huh, strange - I was gonna write $1.4 billion too! XD.

- TAS

Frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think people should predict over 1b. You really don't know what goes into film gross if you're making statements like "I guarantee"

It will make more than MoS, and probably more than TDK or TDKR, but I'm not going to say things like "I guarantee"

I guarantee it will out-gross both TDK and TDKR.

Darryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to see the marketing campaign first

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

I don’t think the inclusion of Batman and Superman together in a movie will make that huge a difference (they actually have Wonder Woman too; I think that would make a bigger difference). You have to consider Marvel at the moment have a better rep going forward for their movies, and as such until such time as the perception shifts (probably by the time DC gets into their Justice League movies), you would expect, unless the reviews are exceptional, Marvel movies coming out on similar time to massively effect on general audiences adversely affecting DC movies.

It's not to say for certain they couldn’t make that kind of money, but it doesn’t seem very likely at the moment. Marvel has a huge advantage in form of the brand image they have had thus far, also a long standing image of Disney movie as a whole, and one would expect family with pre-teen kids to actually favor a Marvel movie over DC in general, and that makes a difference when you look at a figure above 1 billion.

Batman: The Dark Knight Rises had one of the biggest buzz ever and while the movie did exceptionally good in the box office, the predicted revenue of over 2 billion isn’t something even it came close to attending. With current cinema prices and 3D, you could expect Dawn of Justice to beat that (though that’s still pretty unlikely as people are not as happy with the prior Man of Steel movie, as well as having the beloved Nolan trilogy rebooted) a prediction of something close to that dollar figure seems rather high.

Frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: I do not think Wonder Woman would make that much of a difference; her role is smaller and she's not even in the title, though, she could appear in advertising, I doubt so if the larger role is both Batman and Superman. It's adding Batman to the mix which guarantees the $1 billion mark (at-least). Not only did the last trilogy massively increase his general popularity as a character but so has the mass marketing that's come along with that (Arkham Games). The idea of Batman and Superman is fundamentally alltogether different to each respective character having their own separate movies.

I can also see the marketing/toy-line for Batman and Superman massively increasing. Whether or not the film is dark, the film will certainly aim for heavy toy line. And while Marvel may be more child-friendly, placing two of the most iconic characters in a film is a draw regardless; that was a key aspect for the draw of Avengers.

Clearly though, the reviews will not be on par with the previous Batman film, but it's market value will be higher.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen:

The inclusion of Wonder Woman should actually attract more people because she appeals to a demographic separate from Batman or Superman.

The rest let's see whose prediction are closer. I think Superman v Batman would make close to the figure The Dark Knight Rises ended up with, you obviously expect them to make higher.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

At least 1.2 bill, but if it's TDK quality film then almost 2 bill.

Darryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batmanwins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By batmanwins

Box Office for Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

Opening Weekend in North America: $148 million

Opening Weekend outside North America: $215 million

Final North American Gross: $721 million

Final Gross outside North America: $1.131 Billion

Total Accumulative Gross: $1.852 Billion

The eventual stats could be even higher if Zack Snyder and his crew actually make this film out of their hearts, unique, dark, serious, while also humorous, it could ended up as one of the greatest super hero dual movies of all time, and I hope, this movie is BETTER than Captain America: Civil War.

I hope after this movie Warner Bros can actually like find writers who knows DC world really well and who can build a truly inter changeable, shared comic universe. If more people who are talented can jump into DC and can initiate creative sparks, then the entire DC superhero franchise will take a height even the Marvel Cinematic Universe cannot compare.

storm-is-life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Box Office for Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

Opening Weekend in North America: $148 million

Opening Weekend outside North America: $215 million

Final North American Gross: $721 million

Final Gross outside North America: $1.131 Billion

Total Accumulative Gross: $1.852 Billion

The eventual stats could be even higher if Zack Snyder and his crew actually make this film out of their hearts, unique, dark, serious, while also humorous, it could ended up as one of the greatest super hero dual movies of all time, and I hope, this movie is BETTER than Captain America: Civil War.

Agreed

jayc1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely over a billion

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.