Let's Fix It: Batman v. Superman(2016)

• 63 results
#1 Edited by modernww2fare (7187 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Let's lend the DCEU a hand and share our suggestions!

- Only one suggestion per post

#2 Posted by Junction (66 posts) - - Show Bio

If we're talking small fixes and not complete overhauls of characters, then I'd say "Lex no longer knows Clark's secret identity." It screws up their character dynamic so awfully and ruins the point of Lex Luthor, which is that his hubris prevents him from seeing Superman as a man at all. He even outright rejects the very notion that he could be Clark Kent once someone brings it up to him.

#3 Posted by Sarcastic (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I was gonna say "Superman needs more dialogue", but to be more specific: the Martha scene. That needs an overhaul.

I heard people defend the scene as Batman coming to terms with Superman's humanity, or him realising that Lex Luthor's manipulating them. If so, why put an emphasis on the name Martha? Why could've have Superman said "you're letting him kill my mother."

That would've been applicable to Batman realising Superman is not just an alien, but as a son, and that Lex is pulling the strings. But the fact the script beats you over the head with "our parents have the same name" provokes allegations of them being friends because of such.

Besides, what a rude boy, Superman! Calling your mother by her first name. For shame, for shame!

#4 Posted by The_Kidd (12324 posts) - - Show Bio

A better motivation and different personality for Lex.

#5 Edited by Amendment50 (15540 posts) - - Show Bio

A Batman that acts more like Batman than Punisher.

Actually, I'll make that broader:

Sympathetic protagonists.

#6 Posted by buildhare (8748 posts) - - Show Bio

Make the entire movie a fight scene, no dialogue or "plot" just superman punching things.

Avatar image for christianrapper
#7 Posted by christianrapper (6369 posts) - - Show Bio

It's easy. Focus on one story line. Either do doomsday or the bvs thing. They should have given superman his own movie. Batman and ww were not really needed for this movie.

#8 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

Not have Superman acting like Batman-lite.

#9 Posted by SaintWildcard (21880 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I think Superman got gyped, I could live with that cus they could fix that in later movies and pay more respect to him. But Lex is just dead to me... so Lex.

#10 Posted by kgb725 (19550 posts) - - Show Bio

Have lex be the riddler

#11 Posted by LeeM724 (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps not have Batman straight up murder people, have him severely injure them instead and stay on the line of crossing over to the killer Batman we see in the movie. This way towards the end, Bruce will realise how far gone he was and go back to being the Batman we all know and love.

The main problem I had with Superman was that he didn't really seem to change from the character we saw in Man of Steel. I enjoyed Man of Steel because it was an origin story and I expected Clark to grow into the Superman we loved, to change at least a little bit. It still seemed like he was struggling to accept his role as Superman even though we saw him do that at the end of Man of Steel.

#12 Edited by Iragexcudder (9464 posts) - - Show Bio

How I would fix it

1. Take the originally Snyder script, piss on it, and then leave it on Snyders front lawn.

2. Fire Snyder from ever directing a movie again.

3. Hire someone who knows what they're doing.

** tbh I wish the movie didn't even come out

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#14 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22876 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't remove 1/6th of the film in the editing process/write a shorter movie.

Focus on the "vs" portion of the film more

#15 Posted by Night_Raven (613 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Lex was the most flawed part of the movie. His characterisation was ill-conceived, and his plan seemed so short-sighted - for a genius, what was he planning to do with Doomsday once it would have killed Superman? I have nothing against Jesse Eisenberg, but an older, more contemplating Luthor might have made a better fit.

#16 Posted by dodirty31 (1692 posts) - - Show Bio

Take the Batman v Superman out of the title. This was only put there to sell tickets.

Actually just get rid of the dream sequences or just make a better transition in and out of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
#17 Edited by deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99 (11593 posts) - - Show Bio

Hire the Russo brothers.

#18 Posted by Jgames (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

Take out the dirt rising scene. It only made people who like the fact that Superman died get mad, alienating both people who hated the dead and like it.

Also mention Batman killing people, since I love the fact that we finally get to see what happened if Batman kill, because it makes no sense that he is always see himself as a crazy person who does not want to kill or else he will not stop, when he has kill and still the same person. Which beg the question why the hell does he not kill the joker, it makes no sense. That not a good character that just stupid ideological ideal that makes no sense, that is Batman perfectly knowing he is endangering more people. The worst part is that he is against the death penalty for these psycho when he could easily help advocate for it, and maybe have them kill the legal way. So I don't mind this spin of Batman, but go all the freaking way and mention it. Also the difference between Punisher and Batman, is that Batman has a moral campus to begin with, and can changed unlike Frank. To say what makes Batman is him not killing, is to ignore the fact that he has, to ignore the fact he crazy and mentally unstable and to ignore that Batman himself is capable of it if.

#19 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

Remove the disjointed email scene which only served the purpose of setting up the Justice League members for the movie. It was completely out of place and tried to cram in one scene what Marvel took several movies to set up.

#20 Posted by MarcusAllen (342 posts) - - Show Bio

Take out doomsday

#21 Edited by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Tbh the film needs an entire script overhaul..But these are just some very minor edits..Not saying they would make the film better, but its fun to play around with how things could of gone a little differently..
  1. Superman has a characterization equal to or greater then Captain America In Civil War.
  2. Lex is a bald powerful and intimidating businessman who wants to rule the world through technological innovation..He is a genius level intellect with visions of a future permeated with advanced technology with Lex Corp leading the charge..Seeing Superman a guy that was naturally blessed with the tools for saving the world without spending decades of hard work like Lex did to achieve even the slightest of innovations, he just shows up and saves the world from the get-go..This makes him bitter and jealous becuase it threatens his position as The worlds leading futurist and its seemingly most valuable man... And his disdain for Superman is furthered by his belief that Supermans mere existence is detrimental to mankind..He decides he has to crush Superman.(With a performance similar to Michael Rosenbaums Lex or DCAU Lex)
  3. No Mad Max style dream scene..
  4. No Flash point: Flash cameo
  5. No email scene
  6. Wonder Women has a little more screen time.
  7. Batman has better motivations for fighting Superman: Like besides the destruction in Metropolis(Which no rational person could blame completely on Superman) he has seen actual footage of the Superman killing people even children..(Lex Luthors handy work)
  8. Lex finds the blue prints for building a superman clone in Supermans ship..He uses the Superman clone to commit murders and political assassinations around the world..In a effort to muddle up Supermans name..It works..And this leads to Supermans character being tested yet again..But instead of brooding and standing in the rain, Superman challenges his critics head on in public debates like Stark did.. And Superman splits the country and world in half in terms of public approval...And the film shows Superman proving himself worthy of being a good guy by engaging in foreign military conflicts,saving people around the world from natural disasters and so on..He eventually proves himself worthy..The Superman clone mutates and transforms into Doomsday..The DC trinity forms like in BVS to take the monster down. Superman still is killed by Doomsday..And the whole world mourns..And finally unite in their approval of Superman. Wonderman and Batman lay the groundwork for forming the Justice League..
  9. In a post credits scene Batman and Wonder Women are in a Bat Submarine and the opening entrance of the kingdom of Atlantis is shown.
#22 Posted by Jgames (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

Also

Put the email scene as an end credit.

Don't delete the scene where Superman investigate Batman criminals.

Also have Superman fight criminal while also having no casualty by moving people, blocking bullet from them etc.

Delete the entire bullet sub plot, and have people just be angry about the destruction he did for the city.

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
#23 Posted by deactivated-5988def3424a7 (5386 posts) - - Show Bio

Turn Lex Luthor back into Lex Luthor. Don't make him the Joker-Lite.

#24 Posted by william300 (783 posts) - - Show Bio

You know, I don't think there's a way to do a VS. superhero film that doesn't shaft one or both heroes into being unlikable jerks, unless one of them us mind controlled which would defeat the point of the story anyways. Civil War can work because there's a actual moral argument and it's not just two heroes beating the cap out of each other because they don't like each other.

#25 Edited by Jgames (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

Have Lex be call something else, a random business suit guy, or have him be metallo, or one of Darkside henchmen in disguise.

#26 Posted by safefruitcake (636 posts) - - Show Bio

One word: Martha. Even as a fan of the movie, that scene deserves all the mockery it gets.

#27 Posted by william300 (783 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing for sure, Death of Superman should have been saved for way further down the line. The reason his death in comics was so effective was because there he had saved the world a hundred times over and was loved in the public, the film Superman saved the world once, and public had mixed feelings about him. I also think his death works better if he has a JL member for years.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
#28 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie was actually very coherent, and all the events were tied together. Batman was awesome as a character in this movie if we look away from the source material, and the soundtracks were great.

Here's the problems with the movie in my opinion, though:

- Lack of proper motives:

The only guy in this movie who had a legit motive was Batman. But even Batman was ridiculously stupid in this movie. I mean, he was so unintelligent. He was nothing but a deluded psychopath and a sadist.

Lex had this well-thought scheme, but he didn't have a proper reason. He hated Superman because Lex thought Superman as a religious powerful figure and he didn't want him there. That motive, although terrible, had a lot of potential to be something good. They could've just loosely based it on comic Lex. In my opinion, they should rather have made it like either of these two:

• Lex briefly talked about how his father abused him and he also viewed Superman as a religious figure. They could've given him a motive that was fueled by Lex praying to God for help due to his father would stop abusing him. They could've also added that Lex's father killed his mother who he loved, but no 'God' appeared when Lex was praying for it. But now that the 'God' is here, Lex hates 'God' because 'God' never came to help him or stop Lex's father from killing his mother. Something along this way of Lex being filled with grief and the grief leading him to hate Superman for not helping him.
  • Lex wanted to be the greatest man alive and help as many people as possible. He did that by hard work, etc, etc. but then Superman appears and he has all these God-like powers. Lex envies Superman, which leads to hatred because he can't do anything to be superior. This is something somene above said, BTW, which I just further continue because I agree.

- The dialogues and character developments were horrible.

Superman had horrible character development, he barely said anything, and when he said anything, it was all him bitching about saving people and not talking about hope or justice or anything Superman-ish.

''Do you bleed? You will!'' - Words of a sadist

^^^That above is all that's needed to prove that the dialogues in the movie was horrible.

TOO MUCH FOCUS ON BATMAN AND LEX!!!!!!

Like gawd damn bruh, there was too much Batman and Lex. Superman barely got anything to say, and it wasn't anything good when he said anything.

Lex was horrible. He was just an unhinged psychopath with lots of power.

TOO OVERSTUFFED

Some scenes were totally unnecessary and irrelevant. When I think of it, the Knightmare scene was actually well put considering that it was very relevant with the movie seeing how Batman thought Superman as a force of bad. But this should have been explained and shown much more in-depth and much better, it just came and went. Should've been done better, in my opinion.

They shouldn't have put Wonder Woman in the movie. What they should have done, is that Batman just hacked into the LexCorp's files and seen pictures from the file ''Metahumans'', and from there he would see the entire League, including a picture for the Amazon beauty! Totally unnecessary for Wonder Woman to be in the movie, allthough she was badass and really stole the show!

There are more flaws, but I don't have the time to put up the all right now.

#29 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

And I forgot to mention:mARTHA! ''WHY DID YOU SAY THAJSFBDSJVAS''

#30 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

Even I can write I better script than that flawed piece of crap.

#31 Edited by william300 (783 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain_batman_ftw: I disagree, I don't think it was coherent at all, it was like watching a live action version of a kid smashing his action figures together.

#32 Posted by phantomjolt (727 posts) - - Show Bio

The script was terrible to many story lines and the scenes did not connect at all. Zack can work on the action scenes but they need a new director. Get rid of the edgy dark thing wb and dc are obsessed with it doesn't work for all their characters namely superman.

Characters- Batman should not be a murderer he should just cripple the thugs

Superman- Mopping around the whole movie, no dialogue and is confused at what he should do man of steel already did that show us how he has changed. Smile more be more optimistic for gods sake isn't the S suppose to stand for hope then show it. Also get rid of the jesus similarities its lame.

Lex- replace eizenberg he was more threatening in the social network, why did he want to kill superman, why was he hunting metahumans, is he working for darkseid then why doesnt he try convincing superman to join him.

DC should have learned from iron man 2 and age of ultron over shoehorning your other movies weaken the movie their showing.

#33 Posted by uugieboogie (13397 posts) - - Show Bio

Just make it a solo MoS sequel. BvS felt like it could be split into two separate movies almost.

Avatar image for thesilentripper
#34 Posted by TheSilentRipper (2530 posts) - - Show Bio

Take out Doomsday and Wonder Woman

Make it an actual Batman v Superman

#35 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain_batman_ftw: I disagree, I don't think it was coherent at all, it was like watching a live action version of a kid smashing his action figures together.

It was actually pretty coherent. All the events in the movie were tied together, from what I remember. It was just the pacing of the movie that was off.

#36 Posted by Bluejay4 (4037 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't make it in the first place. I want an actual honest to God Superman movie first, and THEN we can commenced with the camp fest of SvB

#37 Posted by Jgames (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

I felt like that also before re-watching it, and seeing where they were going with things, it only feel incoherent because of the sloppy edit and cut. Is what I like to call an illusion, where a story seem to be cohesive, not because of the narrative, but where the narrative is. When the reporter talk about how Clark left, it did not cut to Clark like most movie would, mostly because it was cut, but there is still a defining plot, that Batman is trying to get the kryptonite, Louis is trying to find out who framed Superman, Lex is slowly trying to get them to fight, and Superman is mopping. It just the fact that too much thing is going, that is hard to digest, so little thing can be miss when trying to process the information. Is more of the editing, cutting and trying to put many set up for next movie that makes the movie feel in-cohesive, when in reality it is.

That being said there is lots of plot hole XD. That being said, whether you agree or disagree that the movie is cohesive, let just agree Civil war did it better.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
#38 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (9130 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_kidd said:

A better motivation and different personality for Lex.

#39 Edited by the_stegman (40311 posts) - - Show Bio

Less focus on Lois. We didn't need her bullet subplot.

Moderator Online
#40 Posted by alexash (284 posts) - - Show Bio

Tbh, I feel that the best way to fix this film is to change Man of Steel. personally I enjoyed the film, however in the grand scheme of things major plot changes could have lead to a much better start for the DCEU. Imagine this... the film starts out roughly the same way, however zod doesn't get the shit kicked out of him due to zor'el having star power. We see zor'el just about send kal, but instead of the codex, he places a small pod, containing a experimental organism, that zor'el was hoping could survive any injury, like a planet being blown up in its face, then reviving and being able to pass on the genetics of krypton. zod is still sent to the phantom zone, but that comes into play later. Kal lands on earth, due to crash landing, pod gets thrown from ship. Kals story follows on, but he doesn't find some random ship in the arctic, his ship has a basic interface, like kryptonian siri, with zor'els voice. the pod is obviously doomsday, gets captured and experimented on by government. due to superman's presence being noticed, Lois gets put on conspiracy watch, through the grape vine, gets wind of doomsday and that's how she ties into the story. fight ends with DD getting thrown into space. obviously lots of destruction has occurred, but when BvS comes around, and the whole "do we need him" argument. Supes has the argument of it was him cleaning up their mess, they did all of that to DD. providing him with an argument for being secretive and the destruction. in the interest of publicity, supes hand over his ship, which lex gets a hold of, for a short amount of tme. during this time he, A) intergrates kryptonian siri, possibly into braniac for later on in the DCEU B) activates a distress beacon that provides zod with a way to leave the phantom zone. The next thing is to contrive a better reason for Batman to fight supes, contrive a better fight(a friend of mine gave me the idea of batman reusing one of jokers funhouses), with sufficient tech and planning that it is anybodies game. contrive abetter reason for them to stop fighting. the final climax could amalgamate with a pretty disturbed zod, feorra and non. vs superman, WW and fully suited batman. fighting to a stand still due to the new kryptonians sudden bursts of new found lazers/super breath ect. we see lex, having mined kryptonite from smallville, arrive in a primitive battle armour, easily taking down the three. this shows he has planned everything and built himself up in the eyes of the public, possible president. Finally a few things about batman, he actually does detective work, he isn't a mass murderer, he doesnt use kryptonite in the fight, he doesnt send the damn justice league email, and he isnt a mass murderer.

just a few ideas, thoughts?

#41 Edited by those_eyes (17291 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

Have lex be the riddler

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
#42 Posted by turoksonofstone (14913 posts) - - Show Bio

Spit Curl. Red Panties. Truth Justice and Batman and Superman do not kill would fix it. also Doomsday was wasted. It is rocket science to adapt comics to film apparently.

#43 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

@jgames said:
@william300 said:

I felt like that also before re-watching it, and seeing where they were going with things, it only feel incoherent because of the sloppy edit and cut. Is what I like to call an illusion, where a story seem to be cohesive, not because of the narrative, but where the narrative is. When the reporter talk about how Clark left, it did not cut to Clark like most movie would, mostly because it was cut, but there is still a defining plot, that Batman is trying to get the kryptonite, Louis is trying to find out who framed Superman, Lex is slowly trying to get them to fight, and Superman is mopping. It just the fact that too much thing is going, that is hard to digest, so little thing can be miss when trying to process the information. Is more of the editing, cutting and trying to put many set up for next movie that makes the movie feel in-cohesive, when in reality it is.

That being said there is lots of plot hole XD. That being said, whether you agree or disagree that the movie is cohesive, let just agree Civil war did it better.

Exactly the same with me!

#44 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

It is supposed to be one suggestion per post people, I know BvS had a truck load of problems worth making an entire post about so it makes sense to cover them all at once.

#45 Posted by theacidskull (22027 posts) - - Show Bio

How about they properly portray and write characters?

Avatar image for dragonhunter1414
#46 Posted by DragonHunter1414 (688 posts) - - Show Bio

More Superman, longer batman vs superman fight. More of superman vs doomsday fight ( a little more ) .

#47 Edited by Black_Claw (3375 posts) - - Show Bio

Change the Scoot characters name to John Corben and have him be Metallic, thus replacing Doomsday as the final villain to be fought at the end.

Why? Because by having Metallo as the villain, the movie would have much better stakes and drama because for Superman, here he is fighting a man that has been turned into a monster by not only Lex's manipulation but by his own actions at the end of Man of Steel.

And for Batman, like John he was also pissed at Superman for wrecking Metropolis but unlike Corben, he ultimately realized that Superman is not the enemy and now he has to assist him in taking down a former employee and friend of his whom he initially agreed with.

And the fight can end with the Trinity beating Metallo but not killing him, showing that everything has come full circle from Man of Steel.

#49 Posted by MakkyD (6989 posts) - - Show Bio

Change the Scoot characters name to John Corben and have him be Metallic, thus replacing Doomsday as the final villain to be fought at the end.

Why? Because by having Metallo as the villain, the movie would have much better stakes and drama because for Superman, here he is fighting a man that has been turned into a monster by not only Lex's manipulation but by his own actions at the end of Man of Steel.

And for Batman, like John he was also pissed at Superman for wrecking Metropolis but unlike Corben, he ultimately realized that Superman is not the enemy and now he has to assist him in taking down a former employee and friend of his whom he initially agreed with.

And the fight can end with the Trinity beating Metallo but not killing him, showing that everything has come full circle from Man of Steel.

This idea is brilliant, gives Metallo (usually a thug henchman style villain) the potential to be a worthwhile villain in the DCEU as well as helping the heroes' character development.

#50 Posted by SilverPool (4562 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't have their fight be a significant part of the film (obviously this would make the title for the movie change). Take that time to focus on developing their motivations and characters.

I say this because I thought the versus aspect of the film was terrible and the Dawn of Justice was the only exciting part.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.