Did you like Dawn of Justice?

• 79 results
Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (9130 posts) 3 years, 2 months ago

Poll: Did you like Dawn of Justice? (146 votes)

Hell Yes! Best Super Hero movie ever 13%
It was good 34%
It was ok 16%
It was bad! 28%
Hell no! Worst super hero movie ever 9%
Avatar image for deactivated-57e73a0365070
#51 Posted by deactivated-57e73a0365070 (347 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#52 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11696 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#53 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22876 posts) - - Show Bio

The cameraman who gets shot in the beginning... that's Jimmy Olsen. So spake Zack Snyder. Apparently Eisenberg originally auditioned Eisenberg for Jimmy Olsen and Bryan Cranston auditioned for Luthor. Snyder is the bane of my life.

I'm not even gonna lie Buttersdaman000, I'm salty as fcuk. The more I think about the film the more my brain hurts. I'm so sad, this could've been so much more. Now I know how Catelyn Stark felt when Rob Stark was killed before her eyes.

Wow....I can't even defend that. But, rationally speaking, the character was never named in the film. It'll be easy to retcon. I'm not even counting this as canon.

#54 Posted by rogueshadow (29420 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

The cameraman who gets shot in the beginning... that's Jimmy Olsen. So spake Zack Snyder. Apparently Eisenberg originally auditioned Eisenberg for Jimmy Olsen and Bryan Cranston auditioned for Luthor. Snyder is the bane of my life.

I'm not even gonna lie Buttersdaman000, I'm salty as fcuk. The more I think about the film the more my brain hurts. I'm so sad, this could've been so much more. Now I know how Catelyn Stark felt when Rob Stark was killed before her eyes.

Wow....I can't even defend that. But, rationally speaking, the character was never named in the film. It'll be easy to retcon. I'm not even counting this as canon.

I hoped so, but apparently there's a deleted scene to be put in the full edition where he literally says his name.

Also, Snyder basically killed Superman... to make way for Batman:

"Pretty early on I had this idea that I wanted [Superman's death] to happen. I really felt like if we were going to move forward with the Justice League, that Batman needed to put it together, and you couldn't have this... I mean Superman is Superman," Snyder said. "If he's around, he's going to be put in charge because he's Superman. And so I really felt we need to - in a cool way - create a mechanism that could get him out of the way. And I didn't want to [rolls eyes] freeze him on ice and shoot him into space. I thought that was boring [laughs]."

It's like he doesn't understand what any of the material actually means, why when Superman and Batman fight in TDKR it's so impactful, why when Superman dies, it means so much in the DC Universe, it's just 'oh, this is cool, let's do this. Yeah, Batman's gonna straight up merc em, whooooo.'

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#55 Edited by buttersdaman000 (22876 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@rogueshadow said:

I hoped so, but apparently there's a deleted scene to be put in the full edition where he literally says his name.

"Pretty early on I had this idea that I wanted [Superman's death] to happen. I really felt like if we were going to move forward with the Justice League, that Batman needed to put it together, and you couldn't have this... I mean Superman is Superman," Snyder said. "If he's around, he's going to be put in charge because he's Superman. And so I really felt we need to - in a cool way - create a mechanism that could get him out of the way. And I didn't want to [rolls eyes] freeze him on ice and shoot him into space. I thought that was boring [laughs]."

It's like he doesn't understand what any of the material actually means, why when Superman and Batman fight in TDKR it's so impactful, why when Superman dies, it means so much in the DC Universe, it's just 'oh, this is cool, let's do this. Yeah, Batman's gonna straight up merc em, whooooo.'

Can't defend that either lol personally, I never wanted Snyder for MoS 2 but i'm with him doing Justice League pt.1. I hope they rearrange the release date schedule to push up MoS 2. I also think that Snyder blew his load killing Superman off this early. Just because Doomsday is in the film does not mean Superman has to die.

That being said, it doesn't affect the actual movie. But I do hope Snyder goes the way of Joss Whedon after this lol

#56 Posted by MrMazz (2002 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate this movie. There is no heroisim in it, any sort of ideological difference between Batman and SUperman is non-existant, it's poorly structured on technical levels, they do not understand Superman or Batman. Wonder Woman manages to walk out of it ok for the simple reason they do nothign with her. This movie feels like Snyder strangaled the DCEU in its crib.

#57 Posted by ArkhamWrath (723 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#58 Posted by rogueshadow (29420 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: Agreed except I don't want Snyder on JL p.1 at all. The DCEU needs a definitive win where every fan can cry out in unison 'yes!' something like TDK, Iron man TWS etc where even fanboys from opposite sides can say, 'yeah, alright, that was awesome.' and critics and ga's feel the same. They're never gonna get that with Snyder. I hope to God the SS delivers because I'm terrified of the DCEU crumbling before it's even bloody begun.

@mrmazz said:

I hate this movie. There is no heroisim in it, any sort of ideological difference between Batman and SUperman is non-existant, it's poorly structured on technical levels, they do not understand Superman or Batman. Wonder Woman manages to walk out of it ok for the simple reason they do nothign with her. This movie feels like Snyder strangaled the DCEU in its crib.

While I agree, I do think a visionary director can still salvage this.

#59 Edited by Farkam (12057 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:

@farkam: @rogueshadow: @entropy_aegis:

Damn, this film has y'all salty lol

This film exceeded my expectations...on how sh*tty it would be. I couldn't be more apathetic about the DCCU or DCEU or whatever name they are calling this pile of horsesh*t now...

#60 Posted by Bezza1969 (203 posts) - - Show Bio

I have defend Snyder in the past, but he needs to walk away from the DCCU now, before there Is nothing left. B v S was a mess.....I could see what he was trying to achieve, in making a serious movie, but it was too long, too dark and too depressing....life isn't like that. There is always good with the bad...Its got slated by the press and the biggest concern for WB is whether it will actually beat the Box Office showing of Deadpool. If it doesn't, WB may as well pack up and go home now. I mean Bats and Supes, the two biggest heroes in the CB universe, if they cant pull in more punters than a freaky character like Deadpool, who most of the general population haven't even heard off, there is no hope for DC.

#61 Posted by the_stegman (40309 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza1969: It will probably do okay, if it keeps up steam. It's already made 424 million world wide.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
#62 Posted by deactivated-5c9535a734784 (2578 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Snyder killed Superman off just so that Batman could be leader of the justice league?! What the ever loving monkey is that trollop? In every iteration of the league, Superman is a founding member. Always and now Snyder might not even bring him back? Seriously what the hell is happening here?

No Caption Provided

#63 Posted by warrior100 (2163 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought it was great !

#64 Edited by warrior100 (2163 posts) - - Show Bio

its a must buy for me on Blu-ray. way better than the Avengers !

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
#65 Posted by Hocko1999_VIRUS (2970 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was pretty great, though I feel as though that was because I went in not expecting A) a movie entirely about a conflict between Batman and Superman, and B) a Marvel type movie. I do think a lot of critic's problems with this film are misguided or from misunderstandings.

#66 Posted by Bezza1969 (203 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was pretty great, though I feel as though that was because I went in not expecting A) a movie entirely about a conflict between Batman and Superman, and B) a Marvel type movie. I do think a lot of critic's problems with this film are misguided or from misunderstandings.

Not sure I agree, I didn't/don't expect a Marvel movie and heck I don't really want one, otherwise DC is just copying them. But I do expect more than just a "gloomfest" and Superman, far too miserable and serious.....I thought there were parts of It that were great but again, it lost its way towards the end just as MOS did.....

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
#67 Posted by Hocko1999_VIRUS (2970 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza1969: I agree with your point about Superman, as I think Cavill's performance as him has consistently been rather dull and wooden. Something I did like about the film though, which to my memory was never discussed or shown in a Marvel film until the Wakanda scene in Age of Ultron, was seeing how the general public and everyday population reacted to the idea of these superheroes destroying cities and their battles absolutely decimating the place everywhere they occurred. In particular, I found the opening with Bruce in Metropolis during Superman's and Zod's battle to be very interesting and powerful in that regard.

#68 Posted by thelocust619 (7854 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't the writer be to blame for this one, not the director?

#69 Posted by THORSON (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

Waiting for the dvd.

#70 Posted by rukus4ever (123 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:
@rogueshadow said:

Wait.... WTactualF? Where did that quote come from? If Superman is not involved with the JL formation then I'm going to further downgrade my opinion of Snyder. Add the murder of Jimmy Olsen and now I'm thinking that he really is just taking a dump on the Superman world in this DC cinematic universe.

See... >_>

#71 Posted by rukus4ever (123 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Snyder killed Superman off just so that Batman could be leader of the justice league?! What the ever loving monkey is that trollop? In every iteration of the league, Superman is a founding member. Always and now Snyder might not even bring him back? Seriously what the hell is happening here?

No Caption Provided

This. Snyder cannot defend himself from claims of Superman hate if he is doing this. There's too much disrespect of the Superman character in this film. If he cuts Superman out as a founding member of the Justice League, then I am seriously considering boycotting every CBM WB puts out in this era. At the very least I would consider boycotting everything Snyder is attached to. Yeah, I get down like that.

#72 Edited by rukus4ever (123 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked BvS:DoJ overall. I though it was mostly good with a lot of "just ok" sprinkled in. I give it a solid 7/10.

I think a larger issue is that this movie had a lot of hype and expectation surrounding it. For DCCU to really make its mark and hold up to the current MCU dominance, they needed the movie to kill at the box office, win over the critics and fans and score an A rating of 9/10.... at least 8/10 in this scenario. I don't have confidence that Snyder can take Justice League all the way through its planned run and give a solid MoS sequel before getting everything canceled/rebooted.

And I really liked MoS. But I'm starting to think that was because Chris Nolan was more heavily involved in that film. IIRC, Nolan stated he was stepping away and giving Snyder the reins with BvS. And look what happened. *facepalm*

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
#73 Posted by Jasoninthewoods (380 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved it...they finally got Batman right.

#74 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1624 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally got to see it today. Overall... it wasn't that bad. The action scenes were great, but you can't anchor a CB movie with action alone.

I think if they had used the blueprint that Marvel had layed down, and released set up films leading up to the Justice League forming, this would've been a more enjoyable experience

The Congressional hearings should've been Man of Steel 2. I did enjoy the concept and questions that came from it but it disappeared like a fart in the wind

Overall a GOOD movie that suffered from film making errors and corporate interference pushing a product that wasn't ready for the quick cash grab. I can only hope they learn their lessons, and take their time constructing the future films

#75 Edited by silkyballfro94 (8688 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a pretty decent superhero movie. I personally like MoS better. I'd give it a 6 or 7.5 on scale of 1-10. It had it's flaws and they bring the film down a lot for me. It was underwhelming as a whole, but i still enjoyed it.

Way better than Age of Ultron, I'll tell ya that.

#76 Edited by AdamAnouer (1023 posts) - - Show Bio

Right I've just watched the movie and I brought a notebook and pen let me give you my thoughts. I'm gonna start with the things I didn't quite like first.

This movies main plot line is honestly absolutely fine but it does drag on at points a lot longer than it needs too. Basically the first hour and a half of the film spends way too long conditioning Bruce's hatred for Batman and you know I've read the comics and seen cartoons where Batman is weary of the danger Superman could potentially cause if he went rogue but this movie really wants to let you know that the widespread destruction of Metropolis in MOS wasn't pointless. Then it spends way too long trying to shepherd you through the "Superman must answer for his actions" as if we didn't know the guy was already wracked with guilt.

The "Justice" elements of this movie are complete sequel bait they introduce a lot of characters in this movie as blatent set-up for the upcoming Justice League Movie and there's even an entire trailer dreams which massively hints towards Darkseid/Injustice. Basically even Wonder Woman though I do like her actor really doesn't add anything to this movies overall story and you could've just as easily thrown in a trailer teaser with the DVD and it wouldn't have taken up the run time. The Batman/Superman chemistry is absolutely fantastic especially in the second half but the rest of it isn't bad it's kinda there.

As badly written as some of his dialogue is Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne looks really good and I also really liked Henry Kavell a lot more in this movie than I did in MOS as I think he does a good job bringing Clark's struggles in this movie and Eisenberg in this movie for me as Lex was thoroughly entertaining and completely manipulative and to save some time you can tell he's drawn inspiration from the rather insane versions of Lex in previous movies rather than the calm and cool one from the animated series. The fight scene between Bats and Supes was awesome and I think fans will love and Doomsday as much as I don't like his design he was shown to be a genuinely intimidating and fearsome foe who for the most part had no problem slapping all 3 of those guys about.

I really liked Alfred's character being Batman's moral compass by engaging and helping his master. I also enjoyed Lois Lane but they really didn't know what to do with her character I mean she could've easily took up Diana's role in this movie and it would've made more sense how she managed to find Bruce but as it is she's just shepherd around the plot.

Last but not least the topic of Batman killing people. Look there have been scenes in many Batman movies previously where he's used armed vehicles like the Batwing and Batmobile to blow up buildings and in this movie I had no problem with that at all. However the worst scene in this movie is where one of Lex's goons are threatening to kill Martha with a flamethrower and rather than try to disarm him or even shoot him in the head he instead...shoots the propane tank on his back causing a massive explosion which is just so damn dumb.

Basically I can easily recommend this movie to anyone who is a fan of Batman, Superman or their relationship in the comics but if the main thing you're looking for in this movie is a Justice League setup I'd just wait for the clips to get uploaded to youtube because there really isn't much here.

Best Part of the Movie: The namesake Batman Vs Superman fight as it's intense, adrenaline pumping and truly engaging.

Worst Part of the Movie: Bruce trying to save Martha by causing a huge gas explosion that could easily have killed her.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
#77 Posted by linsanel_Doctor (8630 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman was one word away from death. Without him, DD probably would've been unstoppable.. I'm not sure WW could've won on her own.

Avatar image for general_disarray
#78 Posted by General_Disarray (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

Better than good, but not best ever.

#79 Posted by ConnorKent (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched this review from Batman and Superman and thought it was gonna be bad...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb7b8uHiNcQ

But honestly, I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it for the most part. I mean the story fell apart 1/3 of the way through.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.