BvS needs 900M++ to break even.

• 105 results
#101 Edited by SilverPool (4562 posts) - - Show Bio

@tsciallsolle3451: There is no sense to your statements. You say this movie only made as much as it did because Batman was in it. Even though it made less than the last two Bat films and reportedly will be less profitable than MoS.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#102 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (11699 posts) - - Show Bio

Big thing people don't know or remember is product placement. Product placement in films can pay for anywhere from 20%-80% of a film. MoS's product placement payed for 70% of it's film.

Do those figures for MoS's profitability take this into account?

@spambot

#103 Edited by Spambot (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: I don't know if product placement is being included in these profitability reports but I have a really hard time believing that they could have paid for a large % of BvS' production cost or that they paid for 70% of MoS' budget. This article here http://adage.com/article/news/superman-reboot-man-steel-snares-160m-promotions/241822/ mentions $160m in promotional support for MoS but I don't think that is $160m being paid directly to WB. I think its in other forms that help promote the movie. Like Burger King might have an ad which talks about a glass with Superman on it sold at BK which also helps promote the movie.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#104 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (11699 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot said:

@petey_is_spidey: I don't know if product placement is being included in these profitability reports but I have a really hard time believing that they could have paid for a large % of BvS' production cost or that they paid for 70% of MoS' budget. This article here http://adage.com/article/news/superman-reboot-man-steel-snares-160m-promotions/241822/ mentions $160m in promotional support for MoS but I don't think that is $160m being paid directly to WB. I think its in other forms that help promote the movie.

That is true, but typically when numbers come out about the cost of a movie (whether it be production or promotional budget), those numbers are attributed to the studio and no one else; what that means is that let's say MoS cost $300 million (I just threw a number out there) to make and promote, and they gained $160 million in promotional money, that won't be mentioned. It's something that guys like me or you have to find out for yourself.

Since this is the case with MoS, and official numbers from WB themselves haven't came out, the profitability for WB from MoS could be higher.

Seeing that BvS cost significantly more than MoS, I doubt such a large % of their movie was payed for from the outside. However, I do believe they received a significant amount.

#105 Edited by Spambot (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: Well, I looked around a bit and found that the most ever received by a studio for product placement was $100m for a James Bond movie which featured things like him drinking Heineken instead of martinis. I can't recall any product placement offhand for BvS but they prob made like $20-30m off of it. There are certain speculative kinds of profits which go along with some movies like cbms which includes added money made from merchandising as a result of the movie but some of(such as the cross promotional stuff) it is meant to be gained through box office returns. At this point I am sure WB will ultimately make a decent amount of money off of BvS when its all said and done but I am definitely shocked that it most likely will not cross $900m worldwide. That is just crazy and I think they left a good $200m on the table in terms of pure profit by it underachieving post opening weekend the way it did.

#106 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot said:

@petey_is_spidey: Well, I looked around a bit and found that the most ever received by a studio for product placement was $100m for a James Bond movie which featured things like him drinking Heineken instead of martinis. I can't recall any product placement offhand for BvS but they prob made like $20-30m off of it.

Aside the prominent Turkish Airlines feature, its was mostly of the usual kind of product placement, you see them but they tend to go unnoticed, but BvS had;

• Aston Martin, Bruce's car at Lex's party.
  • Alpha Romeo, Diana's car that she drove off in.
  • Iverco, the truck used to get the Kryptonite to Lex (they tend to remove badges if I am not mistaken)
  • And that butt-ugly 4x4 Bruce raced through Metropolis in the intro.
  • CNN... even got Anderson Cooper on the screen for you.
  • Dropbox, not like it's the only cloud service out there.
  • Nikon... (I think)
#107 Posted by Spambot (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: ya, I do remember a ton of I think it was gmc cars in the opening Metropolis scenes so they prob made a decent amount off that. The other stuff seemed pretty minor and cnn was prob doing them a favor to some degree by having their anchors doing scenes for them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.