BvS needs 900M++ to break even.

• 105 results
Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#1 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

So is official, Deadpool will win more money for Fox, that BvS will do for WB.

#2 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

Source? If true, I dunno what the hell WB was thinking.

#3 Posted by Spambot (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard $400m to break even. Where did you get $800m from? Granted, it needs to make at least $800m to be considered even a mild success but there is no way it cost WB $800m to make and market it. It was $250m for production plus $150m to market from everything I have read.

#4 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

It does need $800m to breakeven they need almost $400m to do that.. $800m is already a success for them.

#5 Posted by gearsofwar16 (262 posts) - - Show Bio

I read its only 400 million . And apparently everyone else read the same.

#6 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

250M Production budget

150M+ Promotion budget

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#7 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (11700 posts) - - Show Bio

It cost $400 million to make and produce. Where the hell did you get $800 million from?

#8 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11700 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot said:

I've heard $400m to break even. Where did you get $800m from? Granted, it needs to make at least $800m to be considered even a mild success but there is no way it cost WB $800m to make and market it. It was $250m for production plus $150m to market from everything I have read.

#9 Posted by Asgaard (4548 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait do guys really think that when a movie makes $800M all that money goes back to the studio? So everyone at the movie theaters works for free because of movie passion? (lol)

#10 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot said:

@asgaard said:

Wait do guys really think that when a movie makes $800M all that money goes back to the studio? So everyone at the movie theaters works for free because of movie passion? (lol)

Exactly.

#11 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

Aaaand still no source....

#13 Edited by Asgaard (4548 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot said:

@asgaard: It isn't just one movie paying all of those employees though. Granted the studios don't get 100% of ticket revenue and there may be a few other expenses to take into account such as taxes but all I am asking is for one source that can verify WB needs BvS to make $800m just to break even.

Its possible because!

Warner Bros’ other financiers turned it down at earlier stages. Man Of Steel, meanwhile, returned $42.7 million to Warner Bros. Considering the cost and creative brainiacs who hatched that project, that is underwhelming. Here, it is this film’s kryptonite. link

From the $668M that MoS made at the worldwide box office in movie theaters only $42.7 million returned to Warner Bros!

#14 Edited by Spambot (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

ok, after doing a little research I read that producers and distributors get around 55-60% of revenue for the first month and after that it goes down each week. So if its the same company doing both the production and distributing of a movie they would get that full 60% and then you also have taxes which can be taken out immediately on overseas ticket revenue. So the $800m for ticket revenue may actually be correct in terms of using a base number that BvS needs to clear for WB to realize a profit on it. Which means WB will be shitting bricks if BvS doesn't break $1b and may have to rethink even doing JL if it doesn't clear $1b comfortably.

#15 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11700 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Spambot (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: Read what I wrote above your reply. BvS does need to make close to $800m for WB to profit from it.

#17 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11700 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot said:

@petey_is_spidey: Read what I wrote above your reply. BvS does need to make close to $800m for WB to profit from it.

If what you're saying is the case, I'm surprised that any films make a profit.

#18 Posted by Spambot (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: Most movies don't cost nearly what BvS did to make though I agree it appears they aren't making nearly as much as people assume they are.

#19 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11700 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot said:

@petey_is_spidey: Most movies don't cost nearly what BvS did to make though I agree it appears they aren't making nearly as much as people assume they are.

Yeah, $150 million is a hell of a lot of money, even for marketing. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if that's true, especially since I heard Deadpool's marketing was $50 million.

Also, you have to take into consideration that most movies typically make only 2x their production budget. So even for a movie that cost $50 million, spent $20 million on marketing, and that made $150 million, that's not all too hot.

#20 Edited by Spambot (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey: Well ya your typical comedy has a budget of more like $40m and prob another $30m on marketing which would mean it would need to make like $150m to be profitable. It shows you how much money they are losing on cbms that are bombing though .

#21 Edited by SilverPool (4562 posts) - - Show Bio

That's just absurd. Maybe that's their minimum they want to hit, but break even it's probably half that.

#22 Edited by Spambot (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverpool: Its not absurd, its actually pretty close to reality. A post I did at #14 above shows why it needs to make that much. The studios are only getting back a little over half of ticket revenue.

#23 Edited by SilverPool (4562 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: To make a considerable profit, but not to break even. This movie did not cost 800 mil to make.

EDIT: nvm i see wat u said

#24 Edited by Spambot (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverpool: Read what I wrote. BvS total cost was $400m. WB needs it to make $800m in order to make a little over $400m back as profit to cover that cost.

#25 Posted by SilverPool (4562 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: b-but u didnt read my edit bruh

#26 Posted by Asgaard (4548 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot said:

INTERSTELLAR

No Caption Provided

Comic Book Movie Profitability

Iron Man 3 - $391.8m

Guardians of the Galaxy - $204.2m

Big Hero 6 - $187.3m

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - $166.2m

Thor The Dark World - $139.4m

Ant-Man - $103.9m

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $81.31m

X-men Days of Future Past - $77.4m

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - $70.4m

Man of Steel - $42.7m

Most Profitable Movies of 2013

Most Profitable Movies of 2014

Ant-Man Numbers

No data before 2013 and for A:AoU (yet)...

#27 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard said:
@spambot said:

INTERSTELLAR

No Caption Provided

Iron Man 3 - $391.8m

Big Hero 6 - $187.3m

Ant-Man - $103.9m

Man of Steel - $42.7m

Ant-Man Numbers

I still dont get why Sony thinks The Amazing Spiderman 2 was a failure.

#28 Posted by silent_bomber (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard said:

INTERSTELLAR

No Caption Provided

Iron Man 3 - $391.8m

Big Hero 6 - $187.3m

Ant-Man - $103.9m

Man of Steel - $42.7m

Ant-Man Numbers

O_O

Wow, I knew it was bad but I didn't realise it was that bad (I thought a little over double budget would be break-even).

So even factoring in the DVD sales Dredd may still have lost money :(

#29 Posted by Asgaard (4548 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000:

That movie didn't create the hype for the future cinematic universe that Sony was expecting, but the Mcu success and pressure from the fans to see this character in the Mcu played a huge role in Sony's decisions! If there wasn't a Marvel cinematic Universe, Sony would continue with their plans like if nothing significant happened with this movie!

#30 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard said:

@deathpoolthet1000:

That movie didn't create the hype for the future cinematic universe that Sony was expecting, but the Mcu success and pressure from the fans to see this character in the Mcu played a huge role in Sony's decisions! If there wasn't a Marvel cinematic Universe, Sony would continue with their plans like if nothing significant happened with this movie!

Well, with this logic i dont get why WB would think MoS was a hit.

#31 Posted by Asgaard (4548 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard said:

@deathpoolthet1000:

WB never thought MoS was a hit... And the proof is Batman inclusion in the next Dc movie, there was no trust in a MoS sequel, even if that would make a lot more sense and could build better foundations for the Dceu... Is not like WB only makes mistakes with the Dc properties, i can't remember what was this studio last big hit! Maybe 2013 Gravity... At the moment every studio would like to have comic book properties because the fans of this characters can easily create hype around the future projects in the big screen, but studio executives have to be wise and still acknowledge the film medium outside of comic book fans perspective, build the Dceu as a direct response to the Mcu and hope that Batman huge popularity would balance the equation was not very wise because the film medium is exposed to a high number of variables and in the end (even with great resources) make good movies with global appeal is not as easy as people think, the risk is totally different from the other fiction mediums!

#32 Posted by Asgaard (4548 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard said:
@deathpoolthet1000 said:
@asgaard said:

@deathpoolthet1000:

WB never thought MoS was a hit... And the proof is Batman inclusion in the next Dc movie, there was no trust in a MoS sequel, even if that would make a lot more sense and could build better foundations for the Dceu... Is not like WB only makes mistakes with the Dc properties, i can't remember what was this studio last big hit! Maybe 2013 Gravity... At the moment every studio would like to have comic book properties because the fans of this characters can easily create hype around the future projects in the big screen, but studio executives have to be wise and still acknowledge the film medium outside of comic book fans perspective, build the Dceu as a direct response to the Mcu and hope that Batman huge popularity would balance the equation was not very wise because the film medium is exposed to a high number of variables and in the end (even with great resources) make good movies with global appeal is not as easy as people think, the risk is totally different from the other fiction mediums!

Dont let people read that, they get mad if some one remind them, that the fact they decided to bring back Batman, was an example of how little faith WB has for anybody in DC that isnt Batman, since they announced this movie i was telling everybody that.

Is worse, if you remind them, that they said, they will leave Batman rest for some time.

#34 Posted by SinisterSoul (1285 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard said:
@spambot said:

INTERSTELLAR

No Caption Provided

Iron Man 3 - $391.8m

Big Hero 6 - $187.3m

Ant-Man - $103.9m

Man of Steel - $42.7m

Ant-Man Numbers

It's crazy that DoFP had close to the same budget and world wide gross as GotG. Shows how we don't see all the money that is spent.

#35 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgaard said:
@spambot said:

INTERSTELLAR

No Caption Provided

Iron Man 3 - $391.8m

Big Hero 6 - $187.3m

Ant-Man - $103.9m

Man of Steel - $42.7m

Ant-Man Numbers

It's crazy that DoFP had close to the same budget and world wide gross as GotG. Shows how we don't see all the money that is spent.

The thing with this, is they lose all that money, because they decided to make Fanf4rstic, a movie that will keep losing money for years.

#36 Posted by devilsgrin81 (914 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinistersoul:

DOFP vs. GotG... the cast... huge variable there. The X-Men movies have to pay people like Hugh Jackman, Jennifer Lawrence and even Michael Fassbender, Ian McKellen, Halle Berry and Patrick Stewart a LOT more than the cost of casting GotG. Chris Pratt is only now becoming a big star, and that's mostly because of guardians. and Zoe Saldana... well her most successful movie didn't even really have her in it (Avatar)

#37 Posted by THORSON (4973 posts) - - Show Bio

not happening. mark my word.

#38 Posted by Usha (3698 posts) - - Show Bio

YOU CAN DO IT!!! ALL NIGHT LOOOOOONG!!!

#39 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio
@usha said:

YOU CAN DO IT!!! ALL NIGHT LOOOOOONG!!!

Say WHUT?

#40 Posted by Farkam (12057 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do people care about this?

#41 Posted by GodSaveMeNow (950 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

Why do people care about this?

Why do people care about fictional characters?

@theexile285 said:

Aaaand still no source....

whether or not there is source, there exists a rule of thumb to get a rough gauge of how much profit they can get from movie.

my understanding is that 2.5 to 3 times the production budget is required for most big movies to break even.

Or break it down from another way: WB will get around 50% of the US$900 million of cut in revenue. That makes US$450 million in revenue, which makes sense given that producing BvS cost around US$400 million including marketing and other miscellaneous costs

#42 Posted by Spambot (9470 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam: Do people truly care about everything they discuss on the internet? Sometimes its just a matter of sharing info people might find interesting and giving perspective into something.

#43 Posted by GonnaGetThat (148 posts) - - Show Bio

However, both inside and outside of the United States, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice experienced a notable poor Friday-to-Sunday hold in China while in North America the film set a new record for the worst Friday-to-Sunday drop for a superhero movie release in modern box office history with a 58% decline, which was previously held byFantastic Four.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/03/28/batman-v-superman-sets-record-with-worst-friday-sunday-drop-for-superhero-pics/#402a66c56d72

Sounds like most people saw it once and was disapointed.

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
#44 Edited by batsymyplaything (314 posts) - - Show Bio

@gonnagetthat said:

However, both inside and outside of the United States, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice experienced a notable poor Friday-to-Sunday hold in China while in North America the film set a new record for the worst Friday-to-Sunday drop for a superhero movie release in modern box office history with a 58% decline, which was previously held byFantastic Four.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/03/28/batman-v-superman-sets-record-with-worst-friday-sunday-drop-for-superhero-pics/#402a66c56d72

Sounds like most people saw it once and was disapointed.

Yeah, BvS did have a hefty drop from Sat to Sun, as you can from the numbers reported by BoxofficeMojo.

No Caption Provided

But in hindsight, the recent report by Variety says it crossed $500 million barrier and according to Fandango, it's seeing 30% repeat business for BvS....

Also, the Tuesday's numbers are about $12.2 million, so that's about -23.28% drop from Monday's numbers....

Variety Article

#45 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

The main problem is that is making less in the USA that TDKR.

Is doing better in international markets, but there is a chance it makes less money for the studio, since they take less from the international box office.

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
#46 Edited by batsymyplaything (314 posts) - - Show Bio

BvS breaks a new record, not the one WB wanted...

"BvS brought in an estimated $15.35 million Friday. That's an 81% drop from its opening day last Friday, which did include $27.7 million from Thursday previews, but even excluding those numbers you're looking at a 71.5% drop."

"internationally the film brought in $19.2 million on Friday, bringing its international cume to $363.4 million for a worldwide total of $587.8 million."

WB is probably depressed right about now. Thoughts??

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
#47 Posted by youknowwhattodo (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

It seemed as though that Hitflix article awhile back regarding WB's apprehension about BVS was warranted. However, I have zero sympathy for WB, they had an opportunity to address some of the flaws of Man of Steel and they not only ignored those criticisms, they doubled down on some of the more troubling aspects of MOS. With that level of hubris, they got what they deserved.

#48 Posted by blacharrt (1935 posts) - - Show Bio

@batsymyplaything: the repeat business.. i have seen a lot of reviewers, who say the film isn't very good or think it's good to go see it multiple times. at least 2 or 3... no joke. for the fact that the first time seeing it may no have left the best impression. i wish i were joking but check out Youtube if you don't believe me. So it has a lot of people going to go see it more than once. I as your standard movie goer and comic book nerd would not go to see a movie more than once.

Avatar image for tsciallsolle3451
#49 Posted by TSciallsolle3451 (999 posts) - - Show Bio

@batsymyplaything: the repeat business.. i have seen a lot of reviewers, who say the film isn't very good or think it's good to go see it multiple times. at least 2 or 3... no joke. for the fact that the first time seeing it may no have left the best impression. i wish i were joking but check out Youtube if you don't believe me. So it has a lot of people going to go see it more than once. I as your standard movie goer and comic book nerd would not go to see a movie more than once.

It is an example of confirmation bias.

There are just as many people who did not post on Youtube who simply can't be bothered to post a comment saying that they would not want to pay money to go back watching that movie again.

#50 Posted by kgb725 (19552 posts) - - Show Bio

900M... that's crazy

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.