Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Review

#301 Posted by Mercy_ (94916 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved it?

Avatar image for child_of_the_past
#302 Edited by Child_of_the_Past (397 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never seen so many people defend a film so much, while still admitting it had so many flaws. If any MCU film gets a 4 star rating within weeks people will talk about how bad it was. AoU gets crap from people for being too humorous and trying to do too much in a single film, yet BvS gets ridiculed for being joyless and dark while trying to do too much in a single film and people defend it like their lives depend on it. People are all over the Internet saying how great the film was but then end up giving it a 3/5 or C rating. Since when does a C rating qualify as great. What's worse is that for every review that actually points out the flaws, there's a about 20+ guys in the comment section saying the reviewer is biased or payed off. The film has over 100+ negative reviews around the world and yet people think Disney/Marvel payed these people off lol. Keep denying the fact the film had to be rewritten, along with other production issues, and that some of the people in the film were miscast (Eisenberg). No instead continue to support mediocrity because you've waited so long for this film and are so emotionally invested in its success that you'll ignore all its problem and see it multiple times. Doing all of this will only result in Snyder remaining at the helm of this universe despite the fact that he has some of the most limited directing range I've ever seen. Just because you like the fight scenes doesn't mean the film as a whole is good and just because you want to see the DC universe come to life on the big screen doesn't mean you accept poorly made products like this. Calling reviewers and regular people haters or trolls for disliking the film is childish; acting as if the people can't see the the true meaning of the film is pretentious; and wanting this film to be great just because you hate the MCU/Marvel fanboys is petty. Watch the movie or don't but don't act like everyone is crazy because their opinions differ from your own.

P.S. I'm not proofreading any of this as I'm in the process of writing a thesis and this rant was me expressing my thoughts without having to worry about my Chair's oh so welcome :( criticism. Have fun tearing it to shreds lol. In all seriousness, I just wish people would stop letting their own personal biases lead them to illogical assumption and conspiracy theories. Be like Batman, people. Use logic.

#303 Posted by BatteredArmor (6234 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely loved this film

#304 Posted by SaintWildcard (21881 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw the movie....

#305 Posted by KorinY (13 posts) - - Show Bio

@child_of_the_past:

I just watched the movie and I have to say that you are right. But the big problem with those reviews, and the reason behind all the whining, is because many Marvel's movie have huge flaws and still get good reviews, they are easier to watch, they are funny and light, and I understand that. But you can't give fucking Ant-Man 5 stars if you are going to give BatSup 3, I know reviews are biased most of the time, but they should at least TRY to be coherent. And that is what happened here in ComicVine, that's why people are freaking out with those 3 stars, even if they know that the review is pretty accurate. I do think the movie deserve those 3 stars, and I actually enjoyed the movie, but I admit the flaws and miscast (Gal Gadot is bad and I fear for WW movie, hope I'm wrong). I just don't agree with people talking shit about the dark tone, a movie that shows a "montage of Superman saving people from across the world against a ponderous voiceover questioning the hero's trustworthiness" is exactly what I wanted, that is what makes the movie different, but I guess people just have different tastes.

#306 Edited by Jkutz (649 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the parts where Batman whipped out actual guns and murdered people. Yeah only die hard DC fanboys can defend this piece of garbage movie. I liked MoS but this movie was just pathetic on all fronts.

#307 Posted by Prospero_Locke (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess I'm in the minority here but I thought Luthor was great. He was quirky, but great. Everyone is mad that he wasn't very serious, but in a super super serious movie, would that have helped? Also, his physique. People are mad that he is skinny and dorky-esque, but really his physique in the movie is more fitting of a guy who is so much more "knowledge is power" than the comic lex that is jacked but for some reason can't fight for shhh and needs to make a suit to fight. His motives weren't very hidden to me so I disagree with that part of the review. He obviously considers superman to be THE threat to mankind. He states multiple times that he just wants people to see that he isn't some perfect God. He manipulates things comic Luthor-esque to get people to fight for him while he's 2 steps ahead. The movie review is right on the money, but I heavily disagree with the common opinion of Lex.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a3162faeafe3
#308 Posted by deactivated-5a3162faeafe3 (371 posts) - - Show Bio

@coro: oh sorry, as a kid I read the first series as the four graphic novels so I always thought of it in increments. I mean that God awful one before master race where he beheads dick Grayson. And sure, I'll check it out!

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
#309 Posted by turoksonofstone (14913 posts) - - Show Bio

I Did not want this film to fail. I believe it will earn enough to justify more regardless. To hear that Supermurderer battles Batmurderer as opposed to plain vanilla Batafflek is a surprise though. The Luthor casting was a clear indicator of FAIL.

oh well..
oh well..

#310 Posted by AkshSarpanch (3573 posts) - - Show Bio
#311 Posted by Ashik (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain_batman_ftw: Yeah, she did a good job. But ANY actress can do what she did in the film, its called "following the direction of the director". We r not talking about the acting aspect of the character but the character itself. The character just isn't convincing enough 2 the comic. Let me put it this way..its like Robert Deniro in Raging Bull, The Untouchables & Cape Fear. Do u get it now? He just didn't act/behave like the character & director's direction, he became the FUCKING character by completely transforming himself. So yeah, I'm still skeptical about gadot. And I don't think I need 2 say anything about the MOST FAILED INCARNATION OF LEX LUTHOR. Other than these 2 flaws; Snyder did a pretty good job. I'm looking quite forward 2 the DCEU except the solo Wonder Woman film.

#312 Posted by Catty_Spider1 (224 posts) - - Show Bio

@MadeinBangladesh: WB and Sony hired Snyder they only have themselves to blame.

Also did I read right, that Batman kills people ! That's just wrong on so many levels

#313 Posted by supermaansito (207 posts) - - Show Bio

i saw the movie, and i loved it

#314 Edited by BullPR (6035 posts) - - Show Bio

@saintwildcard: ah. I was waiting for you. Did you like it?

Compared to MoS?

#315 Posted by SaintWildcard (21881 posts) - - Show Bio

@bullpr said:

@saintwildcard: ah. I was waiting for you. Did you like it?

Compared to MoS?

I.... I'm writing a review on it. I'll message it to you when I'm done

#316 Edited by AkshSarpanch (3573 posts) - - Show Bio
#317 Edited by Frozen (21133 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Was that ever confirmed as a kill? I've read different theories on that panel and that the mutant was not actually killed; it would be quite strange, considering he snaps a shotgun later in the same story and explicitly says it is the weapon of the enemy and that it will not be used.

#318 Edited by SaintWildcard (21881 posts) - - Show Bio
#319 Posted by BullPR (6035 posts) - - Show Bio
#320 Posted by Frozen (21133 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain_batman_ftw: I think he was the best Batman so far on live screen, but far from perfect; the lack of ethics was a major issue. Batman was, in his mind, represent humanity against Superman; yet he was written as very inhumane, some of the things he did, such as set people on fire was ridiculous.

I would have atleast liked an explanation to as why he killed, but there wasn't one.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
#321 Posted by davidgrantlloyd (553 posts) - - Show Bio

It was such a wasted opportunity.

I like Zack Snyder's operatic style. It suits the DCU. The action scenes were good too.

Unfortunately, much of the creative developments were boring and uninspiring.

Henry Cavill is possibly the best Superman ever ... yet the filmmakers completely dumbed him down, making him frustratingly one dimensional. His whole existence (or at least 90% of it) just seemed to revolve around Lois ... whenever he wasn't saving her, he was crapping on about how much he loved her ... YAWN

Batman was based on Frank Miller's Batman. That's fine. Superman was based on Dan Jurgens' Superman. That's just boring and lame.

I'm glad I saw the movie. I'm just disappointed that I don't want to watch it again.

#322 Edited by black_wreath (13557 posts) - - Show Bio

Audiences like it, critics don't. What a shock.

There was a lot I liked and some things I didn't care for at all.

3 1/2 stars is my honest score but I believe the extended cut will be the real one to watch.

The serious tone didn't bother me because I'm an adult and can handle a world that isn't made of lollipops and unicorn shit. ^_^

#323 Posted by BalooMamalu (57 posts) - - Show Bio

I really appreciated the movie. I didn't know everything had to be all "joy," "glee" and "unfiltered light." (Since when was Batman anything but a Tragedy aside from 66 and B&R). BvS shouldn't be, not with the events it depicts and responds to. I thought the moment that made the title fight halt short of a death match was brilliant, simple and absolutely fitting to both characters.

If you didn't like Luthor (or his psycho reasoning didn't make logical sense), wanted more of Wonder Woman's backstory, thought Batman was too brutal, etc... isn't that exactly what the movie was going for? It accomplishes almost everything the story is trying to do, and we as viewers are sharing the in-world experience.

After MoS, people "didn't like that Superman had to break Zod's neck" and the "destruction was too much." Well, uh, yeah. That's right. Isn't that the point? Everyone in the movie thought the same exact thing. There were seeds of hope, moments of future promise (wasn't that the point? and the primary theme?) Batman's responses are different at the end of BvS, because SARCASTIC SPOILER Superman is good, and that impacted Batman.

Nothing I've seen bashing the movie has much to do with it as a movie, but that it isn't a happy-go-lucky, all jokes and no impact, feel-good movie. Snyder set out very publicly, way before MoS to make movies where there was real, tangible impact from these super-powered beings. Not only do they succeed in doing that, but the viewers almost universally share the attitudes, criticisms and reactions to events and characters in the story.

#324 Posted by comicbookfan93 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

@catty_spider1: no more than Christian Bale's batman does or even Michael Keaton's batman.

#325 Edited by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

I just saw BvS in NYC last night. It's truly disappointing. Everyone coming out was disappointed. I don't think this film will have nearly as much as a divide as Man of Steel did.

Batman kills. We saw EVERYTHING in the trailers. The reason they fight, and stop fighting, does not make sense. Bad CGI. Bad dialog.Lex Luthor. Ugh. Talking to the audience without hiding it at all.

Also, where was Dianna when Zod was destroying her planet?

If WB keep Snyder on Justice League after this, I will be very surprised.

#328 Posted by kbroskywalker (13411 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightofthechronicle: I hate how people argue that a serious movie is a good movie and that fun uplifting superhero movies are bad. Has it occurred to you that maybe the movie's just bad

#329 Posted by kbroskywalker (13411 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayz: @knightofthechronicle: a badly directed serious movie still sucks

Trailers spoiled who would win, many of their important lies, they made no effort to conceal doomsday. Likely showed more than half of the batman vs supes fight, what didn't they spoil?

#330 Posted by Sternfan99 (142 posts) - - Show Bio

If Comicvine gave it 3 stars, you KNOW it has to suck donkey balls.

They gave Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 stars ffs!

#331 Posted by O-Face (105 posts) - - Show Bio

Zack actually cited this video.

Loading Video...

#332 Posted by O-Face (105 posts) - - Show Bio
@muyjingo said:

I just saw BvS in NYC last night. It's truly disappointing. Everyone coming out was disappointed. I don't think this film will have nearly as much as a divide as Man of Steel did.

Batman kills. We saw EVERYTHING in the trailers. The reason they fight, and stop fighting, does not make sense. Bad CGI. Bad dialog.Lex Luthor. Ugh. Talking to the audience without hiding it at all.

Also, where was Dianna when Zod was destroying her planet?

If WB keep Snyder on Justice League after this, I will be very surprised.

Most people don't care about that aspect of Batman in the film. We have had 26 years of that stuff.

#333 Posted by saint_samantha (1285 posts) - - Show Bio

Audiences like it, critics don't. What a shock.

There was a lot I liked and some things I didn't care for at all.

3 1/2 stars is my honest score but I believe the extended cut will be the real one to watch.

The serious tone didn't bother me because I'm an adult and can handle a world that isn't made of lollipops and unicorn shit. ^_^

I'm super excited for the extended cut. I loved this film as it is. Extended cut might cement it is my number one.

#334 Posted by HolySerpent (13762 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope I like this movie, cause words can't describe how much hearing these bad comments are breaking my heart.

lol at all you nolan bashers

Avatar image for artisticneedham
#335 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2730 posts) - - Show Bio

is it worth seeing just for Batman?

No Caption Provided

#337 Posted by ArkhamWrath (723 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain_batman_ftw:

This Batman don't look like Batman at all... with his ''morality and ethics'' how u say !!! and i don't like him honestly... it look like - when Joker kill Robin, Bruce lose morality and ethics and going mad !!! What i like about him is only Batmobile, and voice... but voice not at all :P

#338 Posted by DonFelipe (2335 posts) - - Show Bio

Having had the lowest of low expectations I kinda liked the movie. It's better than the 3rd Batman and Man of Steel.

@artisticneedham: Yes, of course. It's a different Batman compared to Nolan's trilogy and that's not only because of Ben Affleck* and Jeremy Irons (new Alfred). He's changed ever since what happened at the end of Nolan's Batman. You wanna see this movie if you're interested in what will come next - the Justice League. This movie is the foundation of the Justice League... minor spoiler... as the Trinity will fightDoomsday at the end of the movie. I like Wonder Woman, and how she fights. No matter what people say Gal Gadot is an excellent choice for WW.

*I'm not a huge fan of Affleck but he's okay as Batman. It's not his fault that some scenes are really weird - some sort of unintentional comic relief. For instance, when he's first thrown to the ground by Superman it looks like the armored suit is way too heavy for Batman to get up again - I'm sure this will be part of HISHE's version of BvS.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
#339 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozen: Maybe because this Batman is old and he's probably experienced a lot of sorrow, so that's probably why, but still, it was an issue for me.

#340 Posted by the_stegman (40312 posts) - - Show Bio
#341 Edited by Captain13 (4773 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, the hero-side of the DCEU is a disappointment. They had a blueprint in the DCAU and ignored it.

Loading Video...

I bet the characters will be blamed by the studio, who will focus on Batman content.

#342 Posted by laabitres (801 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday: the trailers didnt give out anything and Carano is waaaay too thick and short to play Wonder Woman

#343 Posted by snarkybits (410 posts) - - Show Bio

@coro: oh sorry, as a kid I read the first series as the four graphic novels so I always thought of it in increments. I mean that God awful one before master race where he beheads dick Grayson. And sure, I'll check it out!

ummm...WHAT? :(
I'm so glad I've never read that, then...

#344 Posted by laabitres (801 posts) - - Show Bio

@child_of_the_past: personally i lliked AoU and i defend BvS cause most reviews said it was too dark and didnt have fun? yes the movie had its issue but saying its bad cause it was too dark seems like crap to me, personally this film did what it was supposed to do it was a step-stone for the rest of the films

#345 Edited by laabitres (801 posts) - - Show Bio
#346 Posted by sahilvarghese (6 posts) - - Show Bio
#347 Posted by TheNoobStomper (795 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to stress something again.people bitching about how Marvel villains werebad,look at Luthor....ahahahahahahah just watch the movie and LOOK AT LUTHOR

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#348 Posted by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

@nicksmi56: you made the right choice

I have a knack for calling these things XD it's sad though, because my hopes for a great Justice League film are basically caput.

Do you know how happy I would be if I could go to the theater, see Avengers, and then walk into Justice League right after with screaming throngs of fans at both?

I'd be over the moon. It would literally be a bucket-list level event. But I guess that's not happening :(

#349 Posted by zombietag (1699 posts) - - Show Bio

i liked this movie a lot actually. sure its not 100% what the characters are in comics, but do i really want a copy of the comics on the screen? i don't mind them taking some liberties and i had a lot of fun watching it

#350 Posted by ArkhamWrath (723 posts) - - Show Bio

@donfelipe:

People can talk whatever they want about WW in this movie... She is best one !!! But wait to we see some other woman to play WW in big budget movie... things will not be same !!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.