Follow

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Movie » Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice released on March 25, 2016.

Gotham City-based vigilante Batman travels to Metropolis to preemptively combat Superman, fearing what would happen if the latter is kept unchecked, while another threat endangers humankind.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Review

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What gets me here is that the critics don't like this movie, but the fans do. A lot. Mainly because the fans aren't comparing it to Marvel movies, which the critics are wrongly drawing from when reviewing the movie.

Personally, I don't see that as right.

I don't think that is what they are really doing. I think they just think the movie has serious flaws. Plenty of horrible movies get a semi positive response from fans but its usually mindless cgi crap movies. If BvS is content to be that kind of movie then it deserves to be torn apart by critics. Not that critics are always right but I the reviews I am seeing seem to have a valid basis for criticizing it.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This movie was so bad that the staff of Comic Vine had to create an alternate identity so they could bash this movie freely and give it 3 stars, which everyone knows is a terrible rating for CV.

Respect though, I'm glad you guys stuck to journalistic integrity with this one instead of kissing butt.

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge said:

When comicvine gives you a 3/5 then you know you messed up somewhere...

oh rotten tomato gives it 38% damn... how bad was this movie??

Depends if you think the CV review was actually writte by someone at CV, considering the poster has no other posts to his 'name' here.

It was fine, not half as stupid as Marvel's output, but not the second coming I'm sad to say. And why should you care what critics think? It not like they have a special power to give opinions on movies that the rest of us do.

Love this.

Most fans seem to like it, so I'm pretty excited still. I don't care about critics, but unfortuatley a lot of people do. It upsets me, because I thought this was DC's time to shine.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:
    @atheistknowledge said:

When comicvine gives you a 3/5 then you know you messed up somewhere...

oh rotten tomato gives it 38% damn... how bad was this movie??

Depends if you think the CV review was actually writte by someone at CV, considering the poster has no other posts to his 'name' here.

It was fine, not half as stupid as Marvel's output, but not the second coming I'm sad to say. And why should you care what critics think? It not like they have a special power to give opinions on movies that the rest of us do.

Love this.

Most fans seem to like it, so I'm pretty excited still. I don't care about critics, but unfortuatley a lot of people do. It upsets me, because I thought this was DC's time to shine.

Because most fanboys will like just about anything, if they didn't, Michael Bay would be out of business.

I don't really care about the herd/mob mentality. I like to form my own opinions and so far i haven't even watched the movie, i am just shocked at the reviews because the reviews for these types of movies(especially on comicvine) are very forgiving.

The V0id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus Christ, how bad is this movie? It can't possibly be as bad as any MCU film, both Ghostriders, Daredevil, Green Lantern, Schumacher's Batman films etc. etc.

I think this movie is getting the same treatment as MoS. Critics are all complaining that it's too dark and "a little humor could go a long way". Please, if I want humor I'll go watch Iron Man III.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This movie was so bad that the staff of Comic Vine had to create an alternate identity so they could bash this movie freely and give it 3 stars, which everyone knows is a terrible rating for CV.

Respect though, I'm glad you guys stuck to journalistic integrity with this one instead of kissing butt.

HAHAHa

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

@dankhan6 said:
    @doc-holiday said:

@dankhan6: And yet they have no problem casting huge, muscle bound guys but also cast a stick-thin woman as Wonder Woman, you don't really disprove my argument

The point is accurate character portrayal which is in much of looks as it is acting ability.

Would you want a 400lb pound guy who can't see his feet playing Superman? No because it's impossible to believe so why the exact opposite is believable for wonder woman I don't know

It wouldn't really make a difference. There is no human body type that exists which matches these types of physical output. There ARE fat superheroes and I have no problem buying it because clearly anyone with crazy strength feats have their strength come from something other than normal muscles.

I don't have to defend muscle bound guys being cast because I don't think that's necessary either. Also every live action Spider-Man has been stick thin and had beyond normal human strength feats. So not all men match the muscle bound idea anyway.

Stick thin Spiderman? In what universe do you live, they were all toned.

Also, Batman has no powers, all his feats are within human possibility (save for possibly being knocked out as many times as he has been).

Fat super heroes in comics may be but when it comes to live action there needs to be accurate portrayal.

Accurate portrayal includes both the acting ability and appearance of a character.

I believe that acting ability is also not enough, look at all the failed super hero movies that employed great actors but made a lot of poor choices including accurate portrayal, like that god awful Catwoman movie

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

3/5 still equals 60% and that's a pass still depending on what the widely accepted bar for passing is.

Anyways, I didn't have that high hopes for this movie, honestly I typically have low expectations for most movies so I don't end up disappointed. Who knows, I'm seeing it next week so I'll see for myself.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Because most fanboys will like just about anything, if they didn't, Michael Bay would be out of business.

I don't really care about the herd/mob mentality. I like to form my own opinions and so far i haven't even watched the movie, i am just shocked at the reviews because the reviews for these types of movies(especially on comicvine) are very forgiving.

Really? You should ask the users of the CBR WW-boards what they think of Finch's run.

In all honesty, I am also just pointing out that CV normally has one of the regular writers do their movie reviews. I don't know if it's Gamespot or someone donning a 'full combat armor', but look at Deadpool; a 4/5 review by Mat and this, the most hyped and anticipated CBM of 2016, gets 3/5 and the review might as well have been marked 'anonymous'.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge said:

Really? You should ask the users of the CBR WW-boards what they think of Finch's run.

In all honesty, I am also just pointing out that CV normally has one of the regular writers do their movie reviews. I don't know if it's Gamespot or someone donning a 'full combat armor', but look at Deadpool; a 4/5 review by Mat and this, the most hyped and anticipated CBM of 2016, gets 3/5 and the review might as well have been marked 'anonymous'.

Why? What does that have to do with anything?

I don't really wanna go into conspiracy theories regarding a movie review. Even if we disregard the CV review, the movie is still getting panned wherever i try to look. Apparently the only ones liking it so far are the same group that liked MOS... just interested in mindless destruction.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really wanna go into conspiracy theories regarding a movie review. Even if we disregard the CV review, the movie is still getting panned wherever i try to look. Apparently the only ones liking it so far are the same group that liked MOS...

just interested in mindless destruction.

You were the one that claimed 'fans' will buy anything, you tell us.

Is it now?

Bit like saying people who like Marvel movies are only interested in being hit over the head with a bat made out of frozen stupid.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I straight up told u all that Eisenberg was gonna fail as Luthor despite Snyder's poor direction. It's only a pity that he doesn't die in the end.

Batman v Superman could hav been done simply with just Batman, Superman, Luthor and Mad Hatter. Luthor and Hatter manipulate the Worlds finest in a fight to the death. The supporting cast is torn apart by the tension our heroes exhibit. Simple but effective plus the Hatter is overdue for screen time. His brand of insanity could hav brighten up the movie's tone.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Was waiting for the CV review, wanted to see what G-Man had to say. But the general vibe is about the same..a long movie, short on superhero action, but when it does happen it looks great. Affleck and Wonder Woman are stand outs, but Superman...and Luthor...not so much

The fact this isn't a kid friendly movie will delay me going to see it theaters but this should satisfy the suits and be finically successful so we will get to see a Justice League movie

Hopefully they lick their wounds and learn something going forward

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it seems that 95% of people's main gripes are that:

• It's "TOO SERIOUS" (Whatever that means)
    • Too "Philosophical"
    • Too much CGI (a legitimate complaint, but not a major one)
    • Pacing issues towards the end (again, a legitimate complaint, but seeing as I loved MoS, and people said the same thing about that, its not a biggie for me).
    • Is "messy" (I will have to wait and see the movie for myself, but honestly, I RARELY ever have a hard time following the plot of a film, so I doubt I will with this one).

It's funny, this is like MoS ALL OVER AGAIN. Very divided. It currently has an 8.6 on IMBd, 3/4 on Rolling Stones, and other great reviews, but also has some trashy ones. Also, as a side not, it has an 86% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, compared with 76% of Man of Steel, 91% of the Avengers, and 94% of the Dark Knight.

Well, I gave a detailed explenation about why I think the movie was disapointing here. Don't worry, I've marked the spoilers, but if you read it after watching the movie, then you'll understand better.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge said:

I don't really wanna go into conspiracy theories regarding a movie review. Even if we disregard the CV review, the movie is still getting panned wherever i try to look. Apparently the only ones liking it so far are the same group that liked MOS...

just interested in mindless destruction.

You were the one that claimed 'fans' will buy anything, you tell us.

Is it now?

Bit like saying people who like Marvel movies are only interested in being hit over the head with a bat made out of frozen stupid.

Fanboys and no i never said they will buy anything i said most fanboys will like just about anything, a huge difference there.

That sentence made no sense and had no input worth of value, like even if you said. Marvel fans like dumb jokes, that would at least made for a more valid criticism. What does the "bat made of frozen stupid" represent? The fact that some Marvel films where both universally liked by fans and critics? Sure.

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I have never seen so many people who WANT a movie to fail...

I wanted it to succeed, but it failed. Batman and Superman are two of my favourite fictional characters, BTW.

ryubh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By ryubh

I love how the formal press always tries so hard to hate on DC movies

Don't fall for this crap, BvS has 8.4/10 score on IMDb based on 17k+ user voters and 82% on rotten tomatoes based on over 120k users

gearsofwar16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is pretty good at labeling almost every user in here. We can all see who the biased DC and Marvel fans are.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I still plan to see this and enjoy it.

Edit: Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 38% but the audience score is 84%. Honestly, I tend to trust the audience more than the professional critics.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/

It was 98% before anyone saw it. It is just now going down after people are seeing it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39006e28280
    deactivated-5a39006e28280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This film makes MoS look like a Rembrandt. WB/DC should be ashamed of themselves.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fanboys and no i never said they will buy anything i said most fanboys will like just about anything, a huge difference there.

That sentence made no sense and had no input worth of value, like even if you said. Marvel fans like dumb jokes, that would at least made for a more valid criticism. What does the "bat made of frozen stupid" represent?

The fact that some Marvel films where both universally liked by fans and critics? Sure.

Dropping from 100% or 95% isn't a huge one.

And how do you think your description of people who liked MoS sounded like? Fair? Reasonable? Or like a biased jerk?

Lower the bar enough an everyone can join in.

mantequilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

@knightofthechronicle: you cant trust the fans either as it depends on what kind of fans are the. If they're comic book fans they probably are displeased with the character's portrayals and give negative reviews, if they're movies fans maybe they dont know or care enough about the characters and just want to see a fight between Batman and Superman and if you give them enough explosions they probably will end up giving positive reviews

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday: Nah. She looks the way she does in the comics, which is fit and not very grotesque. Gina Carano's acting is very B-grade and top it off with the fact she has the proportional body of a midget, she's essentially bad fan casting. Would they dub her lines?

I think people tend to fan cast random people till everyone believes it. Say these names enough and you'll believe they can play any part. Idris Elba, John Hamm, Nathan Fillion, Scott Adkins, Gina Carano and that guy from the Dell commercials. All fit to play Wonder Woman.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge said:

That sentence made no sense and had no input worth of value, like even if you said. Marvel fans like dumb jokes, that would at least made for a more valid criticism. What does the "bat made of frozen stupid" represent?

The fact that some Marvel films where both universally liked by fans and critics? Sure.

Dropping from 100% or 95% isn't a huge one.

And how do you think your description of people who liked MoS sounded like? Fair? Reasonable? Or like a biased jerk?

Lower the bar enough an everyone can join in.

The fanvotes? Yea that got even Kirk Cameron saving Christmas to almost 100% and he is a nobody i don't expect any less from rabid DC fanboys.

It wasn't even my description, it's a description i heard from some of the most popular reviews, like even the Nostalgia Critic himself and i did think it made sense. I mean what else was really to like there?

Well this movie certainly lowered a bar.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh this is because DC is honestly put in a no win situation. If they do the light hearted goofy humor, critics and certain "fans" will claim they're copying Marvel. So they do the dark and gritty tone yet people say they're not staying true to the character. Whatever it is they literally have their backs against the wall. I just hope the movie does really good and certain comic fans are just super whiny

However I still stand by the fact that Micheal Rosenbaum should have been Luthor and that Paul Dini/Bruce Timm should have wrote the script

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

@sesquipedalophobe: Yeah totally...

No Caption Provided

I mean look at that bony frame, stick-thin arms honestly, when I look at her she just screams Wonder Woman (sarcasm by the way, super heavy sarcasm)

I mean, lets compare her to former women's UFC fighter Gina Carano

No Caption Provided

Ugh, yeah you're right (sarcasm again), toned physique, thicker arms and already a trained fighter, she'd have made a terrible choice, absolutely (so much sarcasm)

Minazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd have to see it myself but i'll wait a few days for more reviews after launch. The original one I missed by mistake in theatres and I may go to the theaters for this one.

LeeM724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn....I really wanted this film to succeed.

Avatar image for mrmatchesmalone
    Mrmatchesmalone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#130  Edited By TheHeat
    Mrmatchesmalone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viin: "Im starting to believe there is actually a smear campaign against BvS and all the DC films" This crossed my mind yo. Or a campaign against Zach!

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this the greatest version of an adapted Batman when he har no moral and ethics? This is easily administrasjon the worst Batman. Sure, Snyder manager to hit most of the character's trademarks like paranoia, fighting and darkness, but this version han no morality, and therefore seemed like a sadistic sosiopath. It didn't feel like Batman. I mean, he killed multiple times in the movie, and he didn't even hesitate. This Batman is the worst Batman for me, and obvious why it is.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where are all those Eisenburg apologist now? I knew he'd be terrible.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ryubh: They sure didn't hate TDK trilogy.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@kidchipotle said:

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I'll see the movie myself and make up my own mind. A lot of people decided to hate this movie years ago so I'm not taking any of the comments seriously and I'm not reading any of the reviews so they don't affect my viewing of the movie as it is.

Mrmatchesmalone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooo, Randolph Ramsay? C'mon CV staff seriously?

Still down to see it!

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone who was planning to see it will still see it. From what I can tell it is divisive like MoS, but if the main issue really is the constant repetition of "it's so serious," then I will continue to put little stock in that.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday: I'm glad you agree now.

sungod1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop talking about Gina Carano she can't act lol

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 the_stegman  Moderator
    SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By SmoothJammin

Who [deleted] is this guy? [Deleted] gamespot blowhards, of course you only turn up when a comic book film of epic proportions makes it's way onscreen. I've never seen such polarized reviews across the board. I'll go watch this film because I'M interested. Was looking forwards to Tony or Matt's or even Corey's take on what I was hoping would be a cinematic endeavor for DC but of course from the get go its been a hate campaign. Critics and Marvel fanboys foaming at the mouth since the trailers first dropped. You don't have to vibe with DC, just note that not every hero flick is going to fall under the marvel umbrella of happy go lucky, corny cheeseball films you can giggle at with your nephew Bunny. If you prefer the tacky one liners of Marvel where everything has a silver lining then piss off.. Take ur ass back to gamespot you petty milk drinker.

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still going to watch it. I just have to decide if its going to be the PG rated theater version or R rated Blue-ray. Just depends on the moment. lol

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah007123: well its not like it doesnt happen with marvel movies as well, this goes both ways

True, True

TheArchon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheArchon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm disappointed this movie isn't being more well received.....but oh well.

I know what I like, and I loved all of Snyder's movies. I think this is going to be awesome and I can't wait! I don't care about the critics. If I walk away happy, that's all that matters.

I don't like Marvel movies because they're all the same and I find the humour annoying. I don't like Marvel comics either. I'm a DC guy through and through, so give me the dark, depressing and gritty!

The only Marvel movie I really loved was Winter Soldier, and why? Because it was more serious and dark.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@loki2u said:

I'm disappointed this movie isn't being more well received.....but oh well.

I know what I like, and I loved all of Snyder's movies. I think this is going to be awesome and I can't wait! I don't care about the critics. If I walk away happy, that's all that matters.

I don't like Marvel movies because they're all the same and I find the humour annoying. I don't like Marvel comics either. I'm a DC guy through and through, so give me the dark, depressing and gritty!

The only Marvel movie I really loved was Winter Soldier, and why? Because it was more serious and dark.

You don't like light, goofy films?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Who the he'll is Randolph Ramsey?

Sounds fake as hell

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that there is room to make

@the_v0id said:

Jesus Christ, how bad is this movie? It can't possibly be as bad as any MCU film, both Ghostriders, Daredevil, Green Lantern, Schumacher's Batman films etc. etc.

I think this movie is getting the same treatment as MoS. Critics are all complaining that it's too dark and "a little humor could go a long way". Please, if I want humor I'll go watch Iron Man III.

Loading Video...

It seems to me that this movie isn't bad per se - like most of the DCU movies so far, it just doesn't seem to know how to balance itself. Slapstick humor isn't necessary, but the movies tend to take themselves too seriously, and it seems like the iconic nature of the characters tends to overpower the human emotions and characters involved. They are so serious that they become caricatures. Like how Bale's Batman's snarl became a meme. And Nolan's movies were generally very well received. I'm still going to see the movie, obviously, but it seems interesting how the nature of what Marvel focuses on, people with human problems and super powers, lends itself so well to being featured in serious movies, like "Winter Soldier", yet featuring the same characters in a more bombastic, fun movie like "Avengers: Age of Ultron". Not sure if this is a DC critique.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.