silkcuts's Batman: The Killing Joke #1 - The Killing Joke review

Avatar image for silkcuts
  • silkcuts wrote this review on .
  • silkcuts has written a total of 726 reviews. The last one was for

John Higgin's Color verses Brian Bolland's!

The Killing Joker:  The most celebrated of all Joker Stories.

Like Watchmen, this book are created by top talent Brits.  Alan Moore, Brian Bolland and John Higgins. Alan Moore, the most celebrated writer in comics alone makes this a must read.  Brian Bolland's interiors is a special treat since he  never really does it.  That is what makes it a must.

20 years after the Killing Joke was released, it still has an effect on the DCU.  Still considered Canon.  Worthy of a Deluxe printing.  Most controversial Joker story to date.  The story, people "hate" by saying things like "its okay, its not ground-breaking", etc... without realizing works like Tim Burton's Batman was inspired by it, paving way for the Modern Batman.  There is even references in modern comics tied back in to it, such as J. Michael Straczynski's The Brave and the Bold #33 - Girls night out.  In which to truly enjoy this story, you need to know the Killing Joker.

With the Deluxe Killing Joke's release, the older version now seems overlooked.  A lot of new readers have never read the older coloring, which was done by John Higgins.   The old Coloring is MAD i TeLL you.  If you have read Watchmen, you know how John Higgins uses colors.  Colors that most people wouldn't use are used, but these rare choices of color make the story stand out in ways it won't, if it wasn't for coloring them the non-normal way.  The deluxe hardcover was also a chance for Brian Bolland to do his own colors to his work.  This created a darker feel, more of a crime story to me.

I did enjoy Bolland's coloring because modern technology makes those colors sing on the pages.  But I do prefer John Higgin's colors.  I did fall in love with this story with those colors and to me the insane yellows, pinks, blues and shadow are what makes the story so CrAzY.

The Killing Joke is the reason Prestige comics are made.  If it was not as successful as it was, maybe this graphic Novella size would not be around any more.  Thanks again Alan for improving comics for future generations.

Read both and tell me what you think!
Cheers