shawn87's Batman: The Killing Joke #1 - The Killing Joke review

Avatar image for shawn87
  • shawn87 wrote this review on .
  • shawn87 has written a total of 597 reviews. The last one was for

One Bad Day

The Story:
Batman visits the Joker at Arkham Asylum only to find out that it's an impostor and the real Joker has escaped. The Joker shows up at James Gordon's home and shoots Barbara upon answering the door. The Joker strips her of her clothes and takes pictures of her. He takes Gordon to his amusement park he recently acquired and does everything in his power to drive Gordon insane. Batman comes to rescue Gordon and stop the Joker. The two begin fighting and Batman gets the upper hand so the Joker pulls out the gun he shot Barbara with and tries to shoot Batman but the gun was empty. Batman offers to rehabilitate the Joker who declines and instead offers a joke. After telling the joke the Joker begins to laugh and seconds later Batman laughs as well.

My Thoughts:
The acclaimed story The Killing Joke written by Alan Moore, one of the most prolific comic book writers ever according to most people. This was my first time reading something he has written and I'm not blown away or anything. It was a cool story I suppose but with all the hype over Alan Moore's work I guess I just expected more. In the comic they have flashbacks of the Jokers origin and it's not what I would have envisioned it being. I just think it could have been done better. In fact, the origin part was my least favorite part other than the stupid story at the end where some guy fantasizes about killing Batman. I just think someone as sadistic and unstable as the Joker is would have a much harsher transition into the Joker persona. It could have been written better in my opinion. I do like Moore's dialogue between the Joker and Batman when the Joker talks about "one bad day" being all it takes to set someone off. Another thing I didn't care for was the ending. It just ended so abruptly as Batman and the Joker are laughing after his joke. Again something I feel could have been written a little better. Another downside to the comic was the length which was fairly short. Certain things could have been expanded more, possibly elevating the story's potential from what I felt it was.

My favorite part about the comic would have to be the art which is why this gets a 4/5. I really enjoyed it a lot. It was re-colored by Brian Bolland and I must say he did an excellent job on it. I know it seems most things I have said so far appear to be negative. Don't get me wrong, this comic is definitely worth checking out. I'm just not going crazy over it like most people do. It's a decent Batman story but I have definitely read far better stories about the Dark Knight. It is one I'm glad I have in my collection though and would still recommend comic fans to read.

Rating: 4/5