k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Greg Pak laid out all of the basics in the last issue with Mongul pulling the old "I'm going to tell you all about my plan because I don't believe you can stop me" speech. Now that the basic premise is out of the way, this chapter's relatively light on exposition and it's all about focusing on how Batman and Superman are acting out-of-character and, of course, giving them plenty of chances to battle. Mongul isn't nearly as intimidating as the captions and art make him out to be (I love his diabolical smirk), but I won't lie, it's always nice seeing Clark "cut loose" and how absurdly powerful a single strike from him can truly be. Plus, Pak throws in a few more remarks that gamers are sure to appreciate (skip the cut-scene!). Thankfully though, Superman doesn't talk about being a troll. There's just something odd about Superman admitting to trolling Batman, isn't there?

Brett Booth and Andrew Dalhouse provide a consistently solid set of good to jaw-dropping visuals for this action-packed chapter. It's a clean set of panels and, when projectiles are used, the colors go into overdrive and things get downright beautiful and vivid. There's one splash page towards the end of the issue which is 100% wallpaper worthy. It's glorious.

The Bad

The weight of Mongul killing Batman just isn't there because... well, we all know he'll probably be back to his usual self at the end of this arc. Regardless, I'm sure this plot device exists so we can get a slightly different take on the Batman/Superman fight, but despite some magnificent images, it unfortunately isn't too exciting. It's their personalities and unique skill sets which often make a conflict between the two interesting, but in this case, it's two purposely out-of-character heroes going at it like bricks. It looks amazing, but I don't see it going down as one of the "must read" Superman and Batman fights.

There's some gorgeous visuals in this issue, but occasionally, the characters came off slightly stiff (e.g. Batman in the opening scene) and every now and then facial features (notably with Kal) fluctuated a bit. There's one moment where Superman's getting punched but it simply looks like he's flying away. Lastly, Mongul looks great and his plan certainly touches on an interesting topic, but the role he actually plays feels pretty minimal -- it's basically reduced to looking formidable and getting smacked around. Hopefully he'll get more of the spotlight in the next issue.

The Verdict

The second issue of BATMAN/SUPERMAN's latest story arc is a great dose of popcorn entertainment. "Boss Fight" is definitely an appropriate name for this issue because it's basically one big ol' brawl between powerhouses. Seriously, if you want to just sit back and appreciate some solid looking chaos, then this is well worth your attention.

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So let me get this straight, Batman fights Superman and then gets killed?

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By MuyJingo

Haven't read this issue yet...but I quite liked Superman trolling Batman in the last issue.

It's consistent with the characters..batman being deadly serious all the time, and a young brash Superman poking fun at that at the start of their friendship.

I think the only thing that made it odd was the use of the word trolling, not the behaviour, and that's just because it's a relatively newer term. Makes sense the young twentysomething N52 version of our hero would refer to such behaviour by that term.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By timelord

I miss Jim Lees art that is all :(

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

okay good, Superman doesn't say "troll" again, I will continue to read this series then.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book really is getting kind of ridicules...

So let me get this straight, Batman fights Superman and then gets killed?

Not exactly.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By DrellAssassin

Dropped this after that atrocious last issue, I'll be curious to see if it improves.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Action is better.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

I can't stand the whole sideways issue thing. It's just weird. And this just just feels kind of awkward and soulless.

Chewblocka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As you said, this issue's story is not exciting but Brett Booth's pencils make it worth it! Esp since he may not be doing another arc.

I have faith in Pak. The first arc was real good and Im hoping the worlds' finest crossover will be even better :D

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@theacidskull: This is why I'm enjoying Pak's Superman titles, a character I usually have little to no interest in. Pak gives us a powerful Superman, like he did with the Hulk. If Pak were to portray the Hulk with the ability to fly, it would be similar to his Kal-El. Bottom line: Pak knows how to write powerful heroes of the same level (which is why he'd be my first choice for a Hulk/Superman crossover) and give them truly formidable threats/villains.

Mongol was a total badass in this issue, whom Kal-El compared to Darkseid in might. He took Kal-El's best punches and doesn't look at all harmed. In fact, he appeared more amused than anything. That's a cool villain.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KnightofSteel

Have to admit this was a chore to read and the whole sideways thing is pointless I think. Art is pretty though.

jojobinks70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jojobinks70

Is Jae Lee coming back? His style made the book more unique. Not so much now.

BruceDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The drama of the events just wasn't there and that makes this a strange read.

Aside from that and to touch on the previous issue, Superman admitting to trolling Batman is one of the greatest things of the year. Batman sure had fun trolling the hell out of Clark for the last 25 years.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.