Batman: Rebirth #1

• 78 results
    Lunarstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why Duke? Don't get it, I thought we would never see that guy ever again. Robin Wars was a waste of printed paper. Even in the pages of Rebirth all he did was spread negativity. You can't do this or that wtf! Just bring in Damian already. Omg these rebirth issues are just horrible. green lantern, superman batman nothing exciting at all. Just disappointment for now.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Well I was one of those who advocated for King to replace Snyder but for the last few months I've voiced concerns over how "Snyderized" everything seemed to be when it came to King and his Batman. This issue was ofcourse co-written, then there were all those Batman interviews in which both of them appeared together for some reason, Snyder has complete control over the rogues gallery, they admitted to co-writing events in the future and so on. By and large I got the impression that Snyder was really driving the show and King was fully content at being in the passengers seat. This issue pretty much proved it. I dont think it was awful or anything but it wasn't good either.

There were only two developments in this issue, both of which may have been important if people actually gave a damn about the two characters whom they affected.

The development with Duke is clearly Snyder's doing, I'm just glad he's not Robin. I could comment on his lack of personality(seriously even Damian's pets like Goliath and Alfred the cat have more personality than this guy) or his joke of a costume or Snyder's contrived reasons for keeping him around in depth but I think I'll pass. The character doesn't merit that effort whatsoever, on to the next development.

I'm about 95% sure that this was also on Snyder based on what he did to Joker, Dr Death ,James Gordon jr and Mr Freeze. Snyder is just incapable of moving from his horror box, all the villains he writes look like they walked out of the set of a reject slasher flick. Creating new characters is one thing but twisting the classics is another. Now I could have gotten on board with this Calendar Man twist if there was a story about it, except there wasn't. What was the purpose of Calendar Man's scheme? how does his power work? is he even human? is he using magic? nope we didn't get the answers to any of this instead as usual Snyder just twists the villain so that the reader can be subjected to a speech about the metaphor or theme of the day(in this case it's rebirth). Using metaphors and meta fiction techniques are generally the icing but if they dont make sense with in the context of the story first and foremost then it's just amounts to the writer trying to sound smart. Seriously what does a calendar have anything to do with seasons and weather? why not just create a new character called season man or weather man? also I'm pretty sure some writer did this with another Batman villain,I cant however quite put the finger on it but I'm about 90% sure this twist was not original to Batman comics or rogues

Now the credit for dialogue clearly goes to King which I did like because Bruce actually has that edge in his voice, I can read his dialogue in a vacuum and come to the conclusion that Bruce Wayne may have said it. Snyder never left me with that feeling, his Bruce monologues and talks like a generic,angsty action hero. This I really liked.

The fan servicy shirtless scenes were also clearly King's doing, it's cool but I hope he doesn't get carried away with all this "sexy" stuff. Lest King has forgotten the Grayson/ Frau Netz fiasco.

Now I'm just worried about the horrors (pun intended) the Batman rogues will be subjected to in All-Star Batman.

King should just try to be King instead of being a discount Snyder.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

DC going the Marvel route of inserting less interesting minority characters into the role of superior originals. Bleh.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@comicstooge: There was a Lark before? Pretty sure no. That role was always Duke's.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@jsphsmth said:

@comicstooge: There was a Lark before? Pretty sure no. That role was always Duke's.

First of all yes there's already a Lark, that's what Penguin's hench woman calls herself. Secondly Duke isn't Lark, he wasn't given a codename yet .A potential identity from Bruce's fear toxin induced hallucinogens hardly belongs to Duke who in reality at that point in time was living happily with his parents. It wasn't until a few issues later until Duke's life was turned upside down. That kid may or may not have been Duke, people just assumed he was because one can telegraph Snyder a mile away but there's no reason with in the story to assume that kid from Bruce's nightmare called Lark was Duke. Also with a clearly bat themed suit it's unlikely that he'll call himself Lark, if he does then the stupidity of his identity crisis will come full circle.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsphsmth said:

Batman's sidekick is the role I was refering to.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There has been quite a few sidekicks other than the Robins. JPV/Azrael, Sasha Bordeaux, Spoiler, Bluebird, the original Batwoman, etc. Plus Damian is still Robin and will be staring in Teen Titans and Super Sons this Fall so I don't understand the outrage.

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the book but I was wondering if there was a reason Batman didn't use the "Bat-Boat." It has underwater capabilities and seems like it would have made things less complicated.

openlyandrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think this was the strongest Rebirth Issue to come out this week (personally I'd give that to Green Arrow). And although the whole training Duke thing had me rolling eyes I'm still looking forward to Batman. Tom King is going to surprise us. I don't know maybe I'm optimistic.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this was actually the weakest of the Rebirth issues. But great set up. The others I felt much more character whereas this one, seemed to just be all set up and little character. Still can't wait to see what's next as Calendar Man actually seems like a scary threat.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

My ranking and scores for all of the Rebirth titles so far:

1. Green Arrow - 5/5

2. Superman - 4/5

3. Batman - 3.5/5

4. Green Lanterns - 3/5

I think this issue was decent but ultimately felt like a lot of set-up with no real story. The same can be said about Superman and Green Lanterns. All four of these books show incredible promise though and I am really looking forward to seeing what Tom King will do with Batman.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@themantisshrimp: I actually think Tomasi wrote him the best. I love Damian though, so I'll never wish for him to go away. If anything, I want more of him.

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I hate to say it but this issue was only OK. Does Batman really need another partner? I liked when the added Julia pennyworth to his team, she became the voice in his ear.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By SmoothJammin

@themantisshrimp said:

@ultimatepower6: I really wish they somehow just got rid of Damian since he seems to be generally ignored in the main batman title. Morrison was the only one who did him justice anyway (although Tomasi was close).

If I were writing him I'd send him to boarding school out of the public eye and far away from Gotham, where he'd really be working with the Teen Titans. He's intelligent enough that he probably could be attending college level classes so why not have him run around for the moment and shine as a full time Titan. Give Tim and Duke the love they never received from n52 Bruce.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By mrkareemruiz

@casper4690: You like a white guy over a black guy, i wonder why.

casper4690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrkareemruiz: because I like Damian over Duke...? Who hasn't really shown any interesting progression or character development since his inception. Btw Your assumptions are great reflection of your own biases. Food for thought, cyber colleague.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not thrilled with another Robin but other than that this sounds great. Can't wait to read this.

sooperfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how do you guys read comics so early this isnt scheduled to be released until 15th

OptimucCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not bad but not anything too spectacular. A whole case solved in one issue and it was just a giant weather machine under Gotham. Still excited for the new Batman series, including Detective and All-Star, but I thought the other Rebirth issues were much better.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

##@sooperfly: I believe that is the release date for Batman #1. We are discussing Batman Rebirth #1 which is the prelude to that comic and All-Star Batman out in August.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Rainshadow777

I read Batman, Superman and Green Lanterns, and Batman was definitely the weak link there. I'm surprised so many people are singing its praises. To be fair, I did enjoy it a lot more upon a second reading - but still as a set-up I just don't understand why it feels so thin. I wish King/Snyder had spent more time and space on text - it needs some more expository dialogue to create a context that helps the idea of Rebirth. This seemed to me almost as if I'd stepped into an ongoing series. I certainly can't see how casual readers are going to pick this up and understand what the hell's going on - so the whole Number 1 thing on the cover is a bit of a furphy.

One minute Batman's doing exercises and getting his money back(?) and Lucius is talking about "Your father once said..." type metaphorical nonsense (Batman comics are filled with constant metaphor for purpose and meaning - my god), then Batman is swimming down into cold water for some reason to blow up Calendar Man's machine (I guess?!), then Alfred throws an avocado (is it?) down into the Batcave. Thanks Alfred. Nice one mate. And that's Batman Rebirth!

Good point to those who commented on Damian's absence from the main Batman title. When he died in Batman and Robin I had no idea as I was only reading Snyder. Batman's son dies and the main Batman title has maybe a couple of oblique references to it and a picture of Damian's boots. Seriously?

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not bad but not anything too spectacular. A whole case solved in one issue and it was just a giant weather machine under Gotham.

Try a whole case solved in 9 pages! I just counted them. That's some quick detective work considering we were shown not a single clue or anything of any meaning in relation to how Batman was going to handle Calendar Man's threat.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, HATE the new costume.

I for one will miss the New 52. I liked a darker DC. Looks like only Image and Valiant for me now. Damn.

pcris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it was a nice introduction.

But I question the decision to train a guy that to this point has showed less interest in working hard than Damian in making friends.

footix_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is too random. I don't see how this has anything to do with the Rebirth series, suits as an arc in the regular issues maybe. Beautiful art, that's that.

My reaction for Duke as the new sidekick: "oh god not another one"

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The issue was interesting enough for me, it hooked me for the upcoming run of King but the major problem was that Snyder's presence could be felt too much in this issue. Don't get me wrong, the twist with Calendar Man was actually good and it intrigued me but you could tell by a mile that this was Snyder's doing and not King's. However, this relationship the two writers are sharing and their colaborative future work on the Batman universe may turn out as something good but I would prefer if King did all the tinkering and Snyder just stayed in his own little corner of the Batman universe with All-Star Batman.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

love the new Calendar Man, whatever the shortcomings of the rest of the issue

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

5 stars huh? I thought it was the worst of the Rebirth books.

~MiB

EverMuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm tentatively hopeful.
    Tentatively.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.