shawn87's Batman: Broken City #1 - HC/TPB review

Avatar image for shawn87
  • shawn87 wrote this review on .
  • shawn87 has written a total of 597 reviews. The last one was for

The Things People Kill For

The Story:

Batman investigates the murder of Elizabeth Lupo. At first glance, it appears the prime suspect is Killer Croc. As Batman continues his investigation and interrogates other suspects, it looks as if Elizabeth's brother Angel Lupo murdered his sister. Batman runs into some new criminals in Gotham before finally getting to the bottom of the murder case which proves Angel Lupo's innocence and the shocking culprits identity. After solving the investigation, Batman learns the Joker has been watching his actions from Arkham.

My Thoughts:

This story is written by Brian Azzarello (100 Bullets) who does an outstanding job. His storytelling abilities are profound. I especially like the way he writers internal monologue to progress the story. You can easily tell he has a knack for crafting well written and well put together stories.

The central focus of the story revolves around the murder of a woman. Batman being the great detective he is, embarks on a trail in which he embraces several twists and turns until finally being able to identity the culprit behind the murder. The story is unpredictable and keeps you guessing all the way through, which is exactly what any die-hard comic fan wants to have in a comic such as this.

Azzarello's characterization for Batman is dead-on and flawlessly executed. This is classic Batman the detective solving strange and bizarre murder cases we all know him to be.

The art is by Eduardo Risso whose style here is very neo-noir. It's not my favorite art I've ever seen, but I think it's absolutely perfect for this comic. It sets the tone of the comic and reflects the dark, gritty feel Gotham City is known for.

I would recommend this comic to all comic fans who like a good murder story. You can pick this up and jump right into it without having to have read anything else prior to it. This is something that should be in any Batman fans collection.

Rating: 4.5/5