Batman & Robin Eternal #5

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Dick Grayson heads to the Drake household and ends up in the fight of his life. Also, Bluebird and Cassandra Cain team up for a battle.

If really cool fights are what you're into, then this is the book for you. On one side, Grayson takes on Poppy Ashemoore, who is now apparently an assassin for Mother. On the other side, Cassandra Cain and Bluebird take on Orphan, the skilled assassin. Both fight scenes are the main focus of the issue and are a ton of fun. It's solid, hand-to-hand combat showing off what the sons and daughters of Gotham are all about: butt kicking.

On top of that, I'm really digging on Orphan, who really is the Egyptian Batman, considering both of his parents were killed right in front of him, mimicking Bruce Wayne's life. He has a bit more League of Assassins/Ra's Al Ghul feel to him, mainly in the way he speak, but he's a super-cool new character for this series.

Aside from the fight, this does build on how powerful and far-reaching Mother is. She has her claws everywhere and one thing this issue and series does extremely well is constantly bringing up the question "who can you trust?"

One the down side of things, there's no real hook for the issue. It pretty much is two big fights and a disagreement between Dick Grayson and Tim Drake. It's an underwhelming issue that just isn't as good as the previous installments. By no means was this a bad issue though. It simply just doesn't offer the reader enough. This is something that happened during BATMAN ETERNAL as well. It's tough to do a weekly book and have every issue be amazing.

There were three different pencilers (as well as inkers) on this and at one point, it becomes a roadblock in the issue. During the final pages, when Tim is talking to Dick. Steve Pugh takes over art duties. In his own right, Pugh is a sensational artist (see ANIMAL MAN) but here, it doesn't click with the rest of the issue, although Gabe Eltaeb's colors do give the art some consistency with the rest of the issue. Frankly, Tim Drake looks about 10 years old. He looks very much like Damian Wayne and that face doesn't fit what Scot Eaton set up a few pages earlier.

BATMAN & ROBIN ETERNAL has hit a small bump in the road. This issue wasn't bad but wasn't on par with previous issues. It offers a great fight scene but there's not too much build towards anything else. With a mystery this big, you come to expect things during each issue and while this was a fun book to read, it didn't deliver much in the way of hooking the reader in.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Lol, some people will never be happy no matter what...in this issue we got tons of stuff that people have been complaining about not seeing since issue 1, people said that Cass didn't had a personally, this issue is clearly working towards that...people said Grayson wasn't getting the focus and respect he deserves, on this issue he gets all the attention in the world...people said the pace was too slow, after this issue we know that Harper and Cass can now track down the Orphan and find him at any given time, and who knows find out the mother's location...not to mention the whole deal with Tim, which can set up something interesting next issue.

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I thought this issue was much better than the last. It gave us much more time in the past, we got some character development from Cass. I loved the argument between Tim and Dick. I hope the next issue is as good as this one

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, this issue was meh

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

This was better than the last issue but this series is losing me real fast,there are too many characters,too many unnecessary mysteries and laughable villains. A good mystery should focus on what happens not on what happened,I hate this revisionist BS. These characters have fairly straightforward origins (Cass and Damian excluded) why are the head writers so consumed with changing the past? why are they trying to fix what isn't broken? to tell a story is just a weak excuse.

If it weren't for Bane's upcoming role in this series I would've given up altogether. Now I'm praying Bane doesn't get butchered like he was in the previous series.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I loved this issue. But I've been really loving this book so far. Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, and Cassandra Cain are some of my all time favorite characters so to get this closer look at Tim and for them to reintroduce Cass and the book is a solid read, this is like heaven for me.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So enjoy seeing many of the characters interact.Especially with Tim and grayson.Pretty cool seeing them butt heads,and to just see how upset Tim is,when trying to keep part of his life a secret from everyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.