Batman & Robin Eternal #4

Posted by inferiorego (25733 posts) - - Show Bio

Assassins are after Bruce Wayne and it's up to Dick Grayson, Batgirl, and the team from WE ARE ROBIN to save him.

Something that's really worked for this book, in the month that it's been around, is that it takes all the heroes of Gotham, all of which have a connection to Batman, one way or another, and has them working together. In this issue, we finally get to see Batgirl and We Are Robin working with Dick Grayson to save Bruce Wayne from the assassins. At the same time, Spoiler, Bluebird, and Cassandra are all working together too, kinda.

Cassandra walks to the beat of her own drum. That's what's really cool about her character. She's a team player but in much more of a leader role, even though she's only said one word since she's shown up. She will take orders from other, which is apparent, but she doesn't have time for small talk. It sure is nice to see her in comics again.

There's a huge reveal at the end of the issue that feels like a real game-changer. We won't go into too much more depth than that but what happens here is pretty nuts.

On the down side of things, this issue does move relatively slow in the second half. The last issue left the reader at a pretty great place and this issue opens up with some great action, but about halfway through, the book's pacing comes to a screeching halt and it's almost like Tynion, Snyder, and Orlando try to do a reverse build, with the action at the forefront. The art in this issue is ok. It's not as great as the first three issues, and overall, it just feels a little flat.

Regardless, BATMAN & ROBIN ETERNAL continues to be an intriguing and worthwhile book. It's a month in and I'm just as engaged with the story as I was with issue one. The team really comes together to help each other out here and finally, all of the "children" of Batman are working together. They've got a great read and I cannot wait for next week's issue.

Staff
Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
#1 Posted by obsidian_raindrop1 (490 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I thinks it's a three star book. I think that the book fell a bit flat for me and the last page revel was a surprise but nothing to shocking.

#2 Posted by Kid_jakeriv (410 posts) - - Show Bio

@obsidian_raindrop1: It's a weekly series, I don't think every issue is supposed to be shocking.

#3 Posted by entropy_aegis (20731 posts) - - Show Bio

Dull as hell,I find it hard to believe Orlando wrote this,but then Tim Seeley wasn't up to his usual standard in the previous issues either.

The whole plot is rubbish and the characters are incredibly one note,instead of being actual characters they're just a box of traits. Jason has to be the team idiot,Tim has to be the cocky smart guy etc and that's the extent of their characterization.

Tomasi and Seeley should have been the head writers of this one, I still believe Tynion and Snyder blew their shot with the first Eternal, 52 issues should be more than enough to realize you're not good at this kind of thing.

#4 Edited by entropy_aegis (20731 posts) - - Show Bio

I also like how Gleason established Len Darga as a Ra's al Ghul level villain in just one issue of Son of Batman while Eternal writers keep harping about Mother being a Ra's level villain but have given us nothing to show for it,I'm sure "Mother" will show up in issue 25 after months of speculation and meandering plot lines,reveal a convoluted back story that ties with the Waynes,Graysons,Gordons(in typical Snyder fashion) ,have a typical "plan" involving a city wide threat, Batman's illustrious rogues and whatever other overused trope they can find, and finally get her ass kicked.

#5 Posted by phocracker (229 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I guess it's waiting not just for B&R Volumes but rather the sales on them, comixology or amazon. Still waiting on Vol 3 sale for the original eternal.

#6 Posted by Folly (227 posts) - - Show Bio

Dull as hell,I find it hard to believe Orlando wrote this,but then Tim Seeley wasn't up to his usual standard in the previous issues either.

I am starting to wonder how much influence the weekly writers really have and how much Snyder/Tynion and the editorial have. If Valentine is not up to her game either... well, then I don't think I am going to keep giving money to this series.

#7 Edited by Bat_Girl_CC (6161 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure what people are complaining about...the series is moving at a pace that its normal for a weekly...and the characters are being portrayed fine, normally on every series there's always one character that its badly portrayed and people say: "the writter is bad, that one is out of character" but that isn't happening so far, also i laughed hard when Jason called Cass "silent-fist", that was probably my favourite scene, and the last one was intriguing, looking foward to issue 5.

#8 Posted by entropy_aegis (20731 posts) - - Show Bio

@folly said:
@entropy_aegis said:

I am starting to wonder how much influence the weekly writers really have and how much Snyder/Tynion and the editorial have. If Valentine is not up to her game either... well, then I don't think I am going to keep giving money to this series.

Yeah, Grayson,Son of Batman,Catwoman,Midnighter and Gotham by Midnight are my favourite books and yet the contribution of these writers in this Eternal and the one before it has been sub par. I'd definitely chalk it up to the head writers of this book.

I'm not sure what people are complaining about...the series is moving at a pace that its normal for a weekly...and the characters are being portrayed fine, normally on every series there's always one character that its badly portrayed and people say: "the writter is bad, that one is out of character" but that isn't happening so far, also i laughed hard when Jason called Cass "silent-fist", that was probably my favourite scene, and the last one was intriguing, looking foward to issue 5.

I dont really have a problem with the pace YET but this issue was mediocre as heck,I'd get down to explaining it but I think the Batman News review expresses my personal feelings about this rather well.

#9 Edited by Bat_Girl_CC (6161 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:
@folly said:
@entropy_aegis said:

Yeah, Grayson,Son of Batman,Catwoman,Midnighter and Gotham by Midnight are my favourite books and yet the contribution of these writers in this Eternal and the one before it has been sub par. I'd definitely chalk it up to the head writers of this book.

@bat_girl_cc said:

I dont really have a problem with the pace YET but this issue was mediocre as heck,I'd get down to explaining it but I think the Batman News review expresses my personal feelings about this rather well.

I just saw it, and i agree too, Batgirl and the we are robin crew, participation in this was like they were being promoted or something, like remembering readers that they exist and to buy their titles...because its not like Grayson couldn't have handled these people by himself.

But this doesn't surprise me, people always want their favourite characters into everything, not caring if the writting team actually some have real plans for them, i'm pretty sure that just like in the last Eternal, some characters were shoe-horned in by the Editorial and the writting team had no choice but to change the plot a bit to have those characters in it, even if its just to get some cameo-appearences...and of course, the story will suffer from it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.