Batman & Robin Eternal #3

Posted by inferiorego (25734 posts) - - Show Bio

All the children of Gotham are coming together to figure out who the assassin is trying to kill them all. Dick remembers the first time he was under Scarecrow's fear toxin and Bruce finds himself in a predicament.

The weekly series continues, as it should, with the story from James Tynion IV and Scott Snyder and the script from Tim Seeley. This issue moves a whole lot slower than the previous two as this is more about this team coming together and trying to figure out numerous things, including who is trying to kill them. What the reader is left with is the opening of a detective story that feels like a detective story, not just a mystery strung together by fight sequences, which too many times mysterious stories, in comics, become.

Seeley and company do a great job at stringing the reader along, which is really needed for a weekly series to keep readers engaged. Small bits and pieces of information are revealed a few times in this issue. There are a few moments here that actually connect back to Seeley's GRAYSON series, but it's explained well enough where the reader won't feel lost or distracted, just intrigued with where that moment is headed.

For Batman fans, seeing Jason Todd and Dick Grayson sharing a beer (actually, it's just Jason) is pretty awesome. There aren't too many times in the New 52 where the "children" of Batman have all teamed up with each other, especially with Grayson off being an agent of Spyral. Seeing them work together, including Spoiler, Cassandra Cain, and Bluebird, is delightful.

The art was solid, but there were a couple noticeable problematic moments. There are numerous artists on the title with Paul Pelletier doing most of the book and Scot Eaton takes over duties on the final pages. There's also numerous inkers on here as well and the final pages really stick out because of there being so many cooks in the kitchen. The art is fine, but it is a tad jarring to see a style just dissimilar enough to distract the reader from what's happening in the panels.

Just like the first two issues of this series, the third ends with quite the cliffhanger involving Bruce. We won't spoil it here, but as you may know, Bruce isn't the Bruce we know. He doesn't have the memory of being Batman. He's just a millionaire playboy now, so the situation he's stuck in really sucks for the son of Gotham.

All three issues of this series have been truly awesome. BATMAN & ROBIN ETERNAL has all the makings of a truly memorable weekly series. The story is slowly coming together and what makes this book so great is that it takes all of the fans favorite sidekicks and puts them in the role of Batman, the world's greatest detective. This issue was a bit slower than the previous couple, but it still was a fantastic read and I highly recommend checking it out.

Staff
#1 Posted by SmoothJammin (2661 posts) - - Show Bio

Better showing for Jason Todd.. great writing from Seeley as always.

#2 Posted by NightwingX (531 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Jason - Strength

Tim - Wisdom

Grayson - Heart

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
#3 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (2623 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by inferiorego (25734 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

Jason - Strength

Tim - Wisdom

Grayson - Heart

With their powers combined, they are Captain Planet!

Staff
#5 Posted by kcomicfan (4690 posts) - - Show Bio

This was another great issue. IMO this book is better then 95% of all the books DC are publishing right now.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
#6 Posted by obsidian_raindrop1 (490 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of thought Jason and Bruce came ff as a bit mean. I thought Bruce would of comforted Dick and Jason seemed to be written poorly with him willing to disembowel cass.

All the children of Gotham are coming together to figure out who the assassin is trying to kill them all.

think you mean why

#7 Posted by obsidian_raindrop1 (490 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Jason - Strength

Tim - Wisdom

Grayson - Heart

That has always been something that has been said about the robins that they each represent an aspect of batman.

#8 Posted by dondave (41752 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of thought Jason and Bruce came ff as a bit mean. I thought Bruce would of comforted Dick and Jason seemed to be written poorly with him willing to disembowel cass.

All the children of Gotham are coming together to figure out who the assassin is trying to kill them all.

think you mean why

That is Jason's personality in a nutshell

#9 Edited by RedHood1047 (271 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by obsidian_raindrop1 (490 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:
@obsidian_raindrop1 said:

think you mean why

Actually Jason really mellowed out in the new 52. I don't think we've scene him murder someone (named characters anyways) thought I could be wrong. This is the most aggressive Jason has been. He's more jerky older brother then jealous D-bag. I think Seely's characterization of Jason is off in this issue.

#11 Posted by dondave (41752 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

think you mean why

Actually Jason really mellowed out in the new 52. I don't think we've scene him murder someone (named characters anyways) thought I could be wrong. This is the most aggressive Jason has been. He's more jerky older brother then jealous D-bag. I think Seely's characterization of Jason is off in this issue.

He's been killing people through RHATO and even in RHA. He just doesn't do it in when he comes to Gotham.

#12 Posted by daredevil21134 (15932 posts) - - Show Bio

I do think Jason was a little more crueler than recently shown in the new 52 here.

#13 Posted by dondave (41752 posts) - - Show Bio

I do think Jason was a little more crueler than recently shown in the new 52 here.

Why? He's killed multiple times in his own series.

#14 Posted by obsidian_raindrop1 (490 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: No in RHATO they haven't shown him kill anything human The closest he's come are the The Untitled and it's safe to call them monsters in the shape of humans. I can't name a single time he's killed in the new 52. Actually he did kill a talon, Xiao Loong though that was more assisted suicide.

#15 Posted by redhoodx (129 posts) - - Show Bio

@obsidian_raindrop1: he's only killed when he has to now. As for Jason attacking Cassandra, she should not be attacking anyone one she is trying to help, she did the same to dick in the previous issue. And Jason just the type of guy to give a person just one try. You attack him, you're going to regret it. Good issue this week. I like the symbolism that Cassandra showed all the Robins.

#16 Posted by The_Kidd (11995 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by daredevil21134 (15932 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:
@daredevil21134 said:

Yeah,he's killed bad people but he's never rushed to harm teenage women.

#18 Posted by obsidian_raindrop1 (490 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhoodx: Its not that he was angry it's that it seemed to be over the top.

@the_kidd: You mean the one in issue 1? She's alive and she's going to try and kill Jason for a third time.

#19 Posted by redwingx (1359 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason's character was off. Hes back to angry killing everything wtf.

#20 Edited by dondave (41752 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: No in RHATO they haven't shown him kill anything human The closest he's come are the The Untitled and it's safe to call them monsters in the shape of humans. I can't name a single time he's killed in the new 52. Actually he did kill a talon, Xiao Loong though that was more assisted suicide.

You're kidding right?

Issue 1 - He and Roy go on a killing spree.

Issue 2 - Shot Suzie Su Five times and kills her two guards.

Issue 6 - Kills an entire submarine crew.

Issue 8 - Kills an roomful of gangsters attending a funeral and headshots Suzie Su.

Teen Titans Issue 16 - Kills a Joker stand in.

Issue 32 - Kills mercs on a plane and throws a guy out of the plane to his death.

#21 Posted by The_Kidd (11995 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by dondave (41752 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:
@daredevil21134 said:

Yeah,he's killed bad people but he's never rushed to harm teenage women.

A person who has just been confirmed to him as being an assassin and just so happened to attack him? Why wouldn't he try to kill her?

#23 Edited by obsidian_raindrop1 (490 posts) - - Show Bio
@dondave said:

You're kidding right?

Issue 8 - Kills an roomful of gangsters attending a funeral and headshots Suzie Su.

Issue 32 - Kills mercs on a plane and throws a guy out of the plane to his death.

1. Nameless henchmen don't count.

2. Suzie Su survived.

3. He was trying to kill the joker.

@the_kidd no she lived and is causing trouble in the current run.

#24 Posted by dondave (41752 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

You're kidding right?

1. Nameless henchmen don't count.

2. Suzie Su survived.

3. He was trying to kill the joker.

@the_kidd no she lived and is causing trouble in the current run.

Why wouldn't they count? Him killing people doesn't matter if he doesn't know them personally?

So? On both attempts he tried to kill her, she just happened to survive.

#25 Posted by daredevil21134 (15932 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: I still think he reacted too quickly.But oh well,no biggie.

#26 Posted by jnickens90 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

How is it that there are like fifty gotham-related comics, including a Gotham Academy book, and yet we still don't have a Dick, Jason, and Tim series? Seriously a Sons of Gotham series could really tell some great stories.

#27 Posted by Folly (227 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

Jason - Strength

Tim - Wisdom

Grayson - Heart

#28 Posted by Kid_jakeriv (410 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by obsidian_raindrop1 (490 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by redhoodx (129 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: those were all people who deserved it. He hasn't killed anyone who was innocent. Jason was in character. An Assassin attacked him so he attacked back. Simply put Cassandra should try to communicate to the people she's trying to save rather than get in to fights with.

#31 Posted by dondave (41752 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhoodx said:

@dondave: those were all people who deserved it. He hasn't killed anyone who was innocent. Jason was in character. An Assassin attacked him so he attacked back. Simply put Cassandra should try to communicate to the people she's trying to save rather than get in to fights with.

What point are trying to make exactly? I said what he did was in character.

#32 Posted by NoOneDies (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhoodx said:

Eh, well. She is near-mute.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.