ironhawk22's Batman #16 - Castle of Cards; Judgement review

Avatar image for ironhawk22

Broken Record

For past reviews: Batman #14

Okay I know I'm going to get a bunch of people who'll thumbs down this review. That's fine, do that if you will, but hear me out I like Snyder's writing(for the most part). I have nothing against him, but I did not enjoy this issue and here's why...

Art

"Castle of Cards"

The art is as usual pretty great. However I didn't like how the fight with Mister Freeze was drawn. The cover is a great cover idea, and it seems pretty well done. However the cover would have looked a lot better had it been a bit brighter like the combo-pack cover.

Rating: 4/5

"Judgement"

Jock's art is great, but I'm not the biggest fan of how he draws the Joker.

Rating: 4.5/5

Story and Script

"Castle of Cards"

Where do I start, The issue is complete filler. The Joker's dialogue is a complete rehash of his dialogue from prior issues. It's a broken record. "Batss, you're my king. I am the jester! Tehehehe! You're family makes you week!". Get over it. The whole metaphor of Batman as king and Joker as the jester has run it's course. Let's move on.

Speaking of things getting old, how about Joker's constant hints at his feelings for the Batman. It too has gotten old, and Snyder isn't subtle about it at all. Had Snyder been a bit more subtle about it, it wouldn't had been as bad. However it's more or less blatantly stated a thousand times an issue.

Now I've got to mention the good. The quilt or whatever with all those references to past Joker stories was pretty great. I do like how Penguin, Riddler, and Two Face appear in this issue. I loved how Two Face was the "Judge"(as reference to BTAS). However by the end of the issue it's basically just thrown away.

There is no real reason why the trio show up. It's just used to further show the Bat-King metaphor.

Rating: 2/5

"Judgement"

The back up story is much better than the main story. The backup addresses some valid points about Two Face. It isn't perfect, but it is a compelling read.

Rating: 3.5/5

Overall

This story hasn't even been going on that long(four issues), however it feels like ages. I am not a fan of the way the Joker is written, and sick of the Bat-King metaphor. The art and the backup were pretty good but the main story was just so mediocre.

Rating: 2.5/5