Follow

Barry Allen

Character » Barry Allen appears in 5080 issues.

Having discovered his mother murdered and his father blamed for the act, forensic scientist Barry Allen sought to clear his father's name and find the real killer. After being doused in chemicals and struck by lightning, Barry was granted the gift of super-speed. Now he protects his hometown of Central City as The Flash, the fastest man alive and founding member of the Justice League.

That Time Barry Allen was the Flash AND Captain Cold

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Back in 1974, something a little strange happened in THE FLASH. Barry Allen was spending his time as the Flash but also had his job as a police scientist at the Central City Police Department. When THE FLASH #226 was released, the world (or at least those reading THE FLASH) saw that Barry Allen wasn't just the Flash, he was also the Flash's enemy, Captain Cold!

No Caption Provided

The issue was written by Cary Bates with pencils by Irv Novick, and inks by Frank McLaughlin and Dick Giordano.

The opening page had the shocking image. Readers may have been used to tricks on covers where what was shown didn't actually happen in the comic. That wasn't the case as we see Barry at his locker in the police department. He gets his Flash costume out of his ring but figures out it's wrong. Then he puts on the Captain Cold outfit that was in his locker.

No Caption Provided

Okay, this scene doesn't exactly play out like this in the story. The issue begins at the state penitentiary which is 100 miles north of Central City. It turns out an inmate by the name of Mick Rory is being released for good behavior and being a model prisoner. His release is watched by Leonard Snart, aka Captain Cold. Mick Rory was the villain known as Heat Wave.

Snart is outraged because Rory broke their "criminal code." If they go to prison, it's their "duty" to try to escape. Instead, Rory behaved and was released. Snart already had a "cool" plan to escape but vowed he wouldn't do so until Heat Wave was back behind bars. He has a plan in motion to make this happen.

Barry opens a letter sent to him at the police department. He becomes compelled to follow the instructions on the letter which tells him to go to the police storage area and smuggle out the Captain Cold suit and Cold-Gun.

Why would Barry obey a letter? Snart was able to create some "mesmerizing cold-germs" while in prison.

No Caption Provided

By placing the germs on the letter, as soon as Barry opened it and touched the paper, he'd be forced to obey.

As Barry walks out of the police station with the items in his briefcase, he discovers that Heat Wave has returned to his old ways and just robbed the bank. Barry ducks into an alley and changes into the Flash. When Heat Wave surrounds the Flash in Flames, he's able to spin around like a giant fan to snuff out the flames. Strangely, instead of capturing Heat Wave to bring him to justice, he takes off.

Barry ducked into the alley and put on the Captain Cold suit. He attacks Heat Wave but soon, "Captain Cold" is surrounded by flames. Heat Wave thinks it's odd that Captain Cold isn't saying anything or throwing insults at him.

No Caption Provided

Barry also finds himself helpless under the influence of the cold-germs. At this time, he has no recollection of being the Flash. Snart ended his letter with the command that Allen would fight Heat Wave to the death. One of them would die in the battle.

No Caption Provided

Snart's plan was for Allen to be killed by Heat Wave. He knew Allen, as a mere police scientist, wouldn't be a match for Heat Wave, even if he had his Cold-Gun. Heat Wave was a crook but he wasn't a murderer. This would also allow for him to be returned to prison murder.

As Snart believed, Heat Wave was distraught to see "Captain Cold" burnt to a crisp. Strangely enough, the Flash suddenly appears at the same time.

No Caption Provided

How can this be? Barry was under the influence of the cold-germs and had no idea he was the Flash. He speeds off, carrying Heat Wave in the suction of the Speed Force. Heat Wave tries lighting Flash's boots on fire but Flash is able to duck into an ice skating rink to cool his heels off.

It turns out it was the intense heat that caused Barry to snap out of the spell from the cold-germs. He then made a quick getaway to put on his Flash suit to grab Heat Wave and take him to prison.

No Caption Provided

As he's returned to prison, the real Captain Cold sees his plan didn't work out quite the way he wanted. He can still revel in seeing Heat Wave back behind bars, in the same cell. What makes it great is Heat Wave is shocked to see Snart still in prison. He now thinks he's sharing a cell with the ghost of Captain Cold and is freaking out.

So in other words, Barry Allen was sort of Captain Cold for a very very brief moment. He was under the command of the cold-germs and forced to obey the instructions to face off against Heat Wave. This caused confusion for his crime fighting career as the Flash. Thankfully, things returned to the way they were supposed to be almost immediately. You do have to wonder if Snart was able to use or recreate his cold-germs again.

THE FLASH #226 also features a Hal Jordan/Green Lantern story by Dennis O'Neil, Neal Adams, and Dick Giordano where Hal finds himself stuck with a "Powerless Power Ring." I found a copy of this issue in really good condition and paid $7. You might be able to find a cheaper copy. It's a great read and a blast to read these tales from the past.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Isn't there a comic series with this premise?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Heh... Hotrod...

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool story, bro.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Oh, how wonderful stories were in the Silver age.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#6  Edited By The Impersonator

I wonder if there are hot-germs.

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
    midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Lol the good old days

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
    deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting story.Impressive.

Jumdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jumdor

Heh. "Being swept off my feet by the suction of his super-speed!" That's a long thought for a fall. =P

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ha, I love articles like this. Can't wait to buy this when it's available digitally.

Speaking of which I was wondering if you could bring back that awesome video segment you use to do where you pick up a classic/older comic and kind of give us a summary of the story, I really enjoyed those videos.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@captainmarvel4ever: Ah, yes. The ones where I read certain parts? Some liked those but some also hated those. Especially the voice I gave to Jimmy Olsen. I actually still have a Jimmy Olsen one I shot a while ago but never got around to editing. I've long debated bringing it back or keeping them like this, in more text format. This way is obviously faster and easier to do. It's just a matter of do people want to watch a video and are they able to watch if they're at work or whatever? Will they remember to watch it later, etc?

I never made a separate category page for them on the video page here but did filter some into a playlist on the youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3nb0Cg7lKSDSJbbarHJ88vdmRzfrCQVg

miguelcamilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of the first comic issues I ever bought when I was a kid, because the cover was so compelling. The story also didn't disappoint. Glad to know I had good taste as a kid.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Hahaha, I am so glad I know about this, gotta love the Golden Age <3

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I feel like somehow a story this silly would still work on The Flash CW. Those guys can really pull this stuff off.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By GalacticFork

Hmmm. When Heat wave finds out Snart isn't a ghost (ha!), won't he wonder later how Barry Allen is also alive (assuming he finds out)? The skating rink and pirouette thing was really random and the kind of thing you'd not see today.

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Stories like this are the reason I'm baffled when people say, 'Silver Age wuz best!'

parinson2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No age can get better than the silver age. Crowd pleaser. Where can I Download it? :)

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By StarBrand1

@staypuffed: obviously, you have not a clue. go read some hipster hawkeye and batgirl books.

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lame

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Bought a German version of this at the small Berlin comic convention today! Stoked to finally have it in my hands, even if in German. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.