Follow

Barry Allen

Character » Barry Allen appears in 5075 issues.

Having discovered his mother murdered and his father blamed for the act, forensic scientist Barry Allen sought to clear his father's name and find the real killer. After being doused in chemicals and struck by lightning, Barry was granted the gift of super-speed. Now he protects his hometown of Central City as The Flash, the fastest man alive and founding member of the Justice League.

Iris West is black in the comics and no one notices... wtf

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

#1  Edited By Teerack

This isn't a racist thread it's more of a "what the hell, how can they just do this..." thread.

So as we all know Wally is now a black guy in the New 52, and in the tv show Iris West is a black lady. But I seriously can't be the the only one who sees that they are starting to draw Iris to look more and more black slowly... I mean come on... This is Iris in the start of the book as a white red head woman.

She is literally a ginger.

No Caption Provided

So then a few months pass and Wally West is now a black kid, and there is a new Flash TV show where Iris is black in it, and that's okay... but then it started subtly in issue 31 where her hair was brown for no reason.

No Caption Provided

I think "Well maybe it's just the lighting, but then the next issue comes out." She she is in 31 having apparently cut her hair short with a much darker skin tone then her previous pale ginger tone.

No Caption Provided

The by issue 36 she is just a full on black woman...

No Caption Provided

And by issue 38 we learn she is only getting blacker...

No Caption Provided

After this and the Jimmy Olson casting for the Supergirl show...

I think DC might actually be racist to gingers...

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

She still looks like a white character to me. Her brother Daniel does too. And it's been stated that Wally is biracial, so...

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
    deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yea, she does still look white.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

in the new 52 she was never a red head, she had dark hair right from the first issue

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't see how she looks black.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Her complexion got WAY darker for like 3 issues of the Venditti/Booth run then the colorist started drawing her normally again. But yeah she's still white.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By dernman

It's stupid, horrible when they do things like what you're suggesting but I simply don't have the energy to complain every time.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other then her bad acting...i like that there breaking boundaries and allowing an interraical couple.

So i dont see a problem with it.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

Lol, still looks pretty damn white to me

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: i suppose that topic starter never heard about zagar (if i remember correctly it's suntan on english))

shahidmaqsood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup,They changed her to Black in Tv Series too.I don't get that.

That is just unexplained.And to top it all of Barry loves her and so on.Next thing you know,Barry is going to be black too.

I wrote some amazing facts about Flash(Barry Allen),If you guys want to check it out:-

http://passionateviews.blogspot.com/2015/10/17-stunning-and-uncanny-views-about.html

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

she looks like a black woman to me. Sort of like Actress Vanessa Willams.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14: So are mixed women like her just considered Black in the states?

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OOCMikey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OOCMikey
    Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I know this is almost 2 years old but the one drop rule lol. That's why Obama's considered black, Mariah Carey is too, Halle Berry, Alicia Keys even though none of them actually look that black (as in very european looking) even Obama I could always tell he was mixed his features look very European influenced lol.

Anyways I can actually see Iris West being mixed at most.. I can see they tried going ethnic ambiguous, tan skin, darker hair full lips.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate when race changes are used to sell books.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

@nerevarine_11: Check out this rebirth Issue.

No Caption Provided

Iris is right there. ANd she looks pretty white to me. And this issue is more recent than any other one where she looks black.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: Exactly. I mean there are some white people who are mixed but look more white, but that would be stretching it. For example I'm Mexican and Black, but if you saw me you'd say "Hes Hispanic" unless I told you otherwise. I just don't get why Black Wally is still even around...I'm not racist trust me but he's just a gimmick

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: They wanted to create "a new type of character" but it is obvious it is more of a shocking factor. Than they retconned it, stating how that Wally is not New 52 version of Wally West but rather his cousin with the same name but they have different fathers and both of them are brothers of Iris. Either way, at the start of the New 52 Iris was fully white woman (see OP). In Rebirth she is fully white as well (my post above). And in Pre-Flashpoint POst-Brightest Day solo Barry Allen Flash Series Volume 3, she is white as well.

No Caption Provided

So this is nothing but a complete bullshit.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: Which was actually changed back at Iris being 100% white. Post 19.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen nothing, to include skin tones, that have given me the slightest impression that ANY of these images represent a black (heck or hispanic, or indian) woman. Not sure what people are on about.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Because she looked like being part black. At least for me and clearly for other people as well. Does not matter. Iris is back at being fully white person.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 modernww2fare  Online

@cloakx14 said:
    No Caption Provided

she looks like a black woman to me. Sort of like Actress Vanessa Willams.

Where's the black woman? All I see is clearly mixed girl with blue eyes lol

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah, and DC is not racist to anyone or anything.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dredeuced

@krleavenger said:

Funny how Iris looked that way for a year. DC made Barry's most popular love interest (who is not even his girlfriend or wife in the New 52 but that is besides the point) half/part black but to go ever furhter and turn the probably the most popular (if not the second most popular) Flash into a douchebag kid who is also black and is nothing like the original but in the way he is created is insulting for the character of Wally West.

Then a year passes and look, we have the retcon where New 52 Wally is not Post-Flashpoint version of Pre-Flashpoint Wally West but rather his cousin (as I already said) and origian Wally comes back and Iris is fully white again. And that is just oneof numerous things DC fixed sense they messed up with the New 52. I guess it is Marvel's move to create shit since their non rebooting reboot which was awesome because it was written by Hickman and inspired from origianl Secret Wars yet as if not more entertaining.

Iris was never black in the comics. You're raving like a madman.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dredeuced: Calling someone madman for no reason is pretty immature. She looked half black by the way.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dredeuced: Calling someone madman for no reason is pretty immature. She looked half black by the way.

No she didn't. The colorist changed and every white person in the comic changed with her. People asked after literally the first comic with Dalhouse and Booth and Venditti confirmed she was still white, despite then Wally's change.

You are barking at the wind.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dredeuced: I know. Still Iris looked more Black than most. There are few panels when Patty and Iris looked pretty much the same when it comes to their skin tone but there are also instances when Patty was more White than Iris.

And my point was not making Iris black/half black. I know She is still white. The thing that bothers me is the way She is drawn. And not just Iris but everyone since Brett Booth became an artist for the Flash series. Well besides the Blue Flash IMO.

I'm not barking. You are doing it. For some reason you need to start a debate on something that is not debatable. Even Stating how I'm raging like a madman which is nothing more than immature and Plain wrong.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dredeuced

@krleavenger said:

@dredeuced: I know. Still Iris looked more Black than most. There are few panels when Patty and Iris looked pretty much the same when it comes to their skin tone but there are also instances when Patty was more White than Iris.

And my point was not making Iris black/half black. I know She is still white. The thing that bothers me is the way She is drawn. And not just Iris but everyone since Brett Booth became an artist for the Flash series. Well besides the Blue Flash IMO.

I'm not barking. You are doing it. For some reason you need to start a debate on something that is not debatable. Even Stating how I'm raging like a madman which is nothing more than immature and Plain wrong.

She looked exactly as black as every other white person in that comic. She didn't look like any of the obviously black people in the comic.

You're right, this isn't debatable. You should've stopped talking about it over 2 years ago. You're the ridiculous person who was screaming race change when it was proven literally the day the first issue came out that she was white. It wasn't suddenly Wally coming back that turned Iris white again -- she was always white! The artists just changed and your weird, racist personal bias peaked through and brought out the worst of you.

You complained about something that wasn't real, then doubled down when proven wrong. It is an absurdity.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She still looks like a white character to me. Her brother Daniel does too. And it's been stated that Wally is biracial, so...

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP is blind.

Tazirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Just so people know Ginger hair isn't a white thing. Blacks and other ethnic groups can be born with red hair, sheesh. science people.

Super_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iris is black, she just not Dark skin. Most people, think if your light skin you're not black, but they're wrong because black can in many different shades from light skin, brown, Dark and that's it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
    deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah no

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

New52 strikes again

Tazirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So you noroms (Not all of you, but many of you), can read books and see movies about Alternate universes and differering versions of characters, but anytime they go dark tone or black, that's a bridge too far?

You cry about SJW and pandering and yet you're being SJW and want pandering. I'll never understand the comic book nerd. Or the TV nerd who loves comics. When a minor character is altered, you have no problems, absolutely none. But a main character is altered for a particular universe, and you lose it? Then you preface it with "I'm not being or I'm not racist."

Hmmmm...

raecinio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares? Firstly Iris in the comics does not look black at all. Secondly, even if she was it doesn’t matter. There SHOULD be more black characters in comics anyway.

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems there’s a misconception in this thread, that you have to be actually black (as in the color black; charcoal black) to actually be considered black. Which is unimaginably false, a African American/Black person can come in different shades and color. My brother and I are of similar shade of that woman posted above( My brother a smidge lighter) and both of our parents are of African American descent. As for Iris West, she looks black to me.

Dannny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iris west is not black wtf!

Black people don't have blue eyes you idiot!. Why do black people keep trying ruin comics. There plenty of other races that's tan skin and that have blue eyes but definitely not black. Her hair for starters isn't black hair is it!?

Dannny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iris west is not black wtf!

Black people don't have blue eyes you idiot!. Why do black people keep trying ruin comics. There plenty of other races that's tan skin and that have blue eyes but definitely not black. Her hair for starters isn't black hair is it!?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.