Follow

Barry Allen

Character » Barry Allen appears in 5080 issues.

Having discovered his mother murdered and his father blamed for the act, forensic scientist Barry Allen sought to clear his father's name and find the real killer. After being doused in chemicals and struck by lightning, Barry was granted the gift of super-speed. Now he protects his hometown of Central City as The Flash, the fastest man alive and founding member of the Justice League.

Interview: Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato talk THE FLASH, Reverse Flash & More

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

THE FLASH has consistently been one of the New 52's fun and exciting titles. Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato make a great team in writing together along with Manapul's art and Buccellato's colors. We're seeing Barry Allen make his way in the New 52 and there have been many obstacles thrown his way. He's currently dealing with Gorilla Grodd and the attack of his gorilla army but that will be the least of his worries when we see the debut of a new Reverse Flash.

We asked the two some questions to get an idea what's coming up.

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine: Looks like Barry and Patty Spivot have become closer. Is he ever going to try to save Iris West from the Speed Force?

Brian Buccellato: Barry and Patty are REALLY close. But that doesn't mean that Iris is going to be in the Speed Force forever. Without giving away, all I can say is… stay tuned. Perhaps their paths will cross soon. :)

Francis Manapul: Barry was told by Turbine that Iris was lost in time. His hesitance to go back to the past and potentially alter anything has prevented him from this search. That and barrel full of apes has kept him quite busy. However we will see a resolution to this by the end of Gorilla War.

No Caption Provided

CV: We're seeing a new character, Daniel West, Iris' brother. Can we assume he'll play a role in Iris' return?

BB: I wouldn't go making ANY assumptions about Daniel. This kid is a bit of a wild card and who knows what to expect from him.

CV: Will we find out what he's been doing since we first saw him in issue #0?

FM: This new year will bring on a lot of new information about the West family. Daniel and Iris has had a falling out in the past, and we'll be exploring what cut the familial ties.

BB: Absolutely! He is a part of the New 52 Flash universe and we look forward to exploring his experiences and how he relates to the others in book -- especially his big sister and any other friends and/or family members that cross his path.

== TEASER ==
    THE FLASH #17
    THE FLASH #17

CV: Word is we're going to see a new Reverse Flash. Where did the decision come from to create a third Reverse Flash for the New 52 instead of a previous one?

BB: I can't divulge trader secrets… but I can say that It all came about from a conversation between myself, Francis, Dan DiDio, and our editors Matt Idelson and Chris Conroy. I will say that Francis and I never really considered using the pre-52 version of Reverse Flash. That ground is well worn and so we prefer to just keep "moving forward".

FM: After our discussion with the gang, the introduction of Reverse Flash into the New 52 actually flowed seamlessly with the story we were telling. We're excited to introduce this "new" threat to Barry and his supporting cast.

CV: Tough question: is this the first time Barry has faced a Reverse Flash (or remembers facing a Reverse Flash) in the New 52?

BB: Yup. He has no recollection of pre 52 events and so this will be his FIRST dealing with Reverse Flash.

From FLASHPOINT: REVERSE FLASH
    From FLASHPOINT: REVERSE FLASH

CV: Word also is Reverse Flash is getting a new look. What was the reason for that besides showing off how skilled you guys are?

FM: Our reason for updating his look stems more from the story. It has nothing to do with a desire to out do the past, but rather do whats right for the story we are telling. What we needed from the new iteration of Reverse Flash is a character that elicits fear in the our protagonist and the readers.

THE FLASH #19
    THE FLASH #19

BB: Honestly, the way we are approaching the character and his/her motivations requires an entirely different look and feel. This may be a bit of a knock against the classic versions, but MAAAAAN his costume was YELLOW. I'm sure some might hammer me for not liking the old costume, but I think our version looks WAY MORE badass and, dare I say, SCARY.

CV: Is the Flash still going to struggle with the public's opinion of him as a hero after Dr. Elias turned on him?

BB: After ALL of the recent heroism that Flash has exhibited in Central City, he MAY finally catch a break from the public. And it looks like the worm has turned for that untrustworthy jerk, Elias. I wonder how he's gonna handle it.

FM: Let's see if he can survive Gorilla War first ;)

CV: Have you already thought about what's coming up after the Reverse Flash story?

FM: "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in". In short. Yes.

BB: Oh, yes… we are hammering away at our next arc… and even the craziness that will follow after that. It's gonna be a hell of a 2013, folks. :)

No Caption Provided

CV: Francis, did Brian tell you he said he was going to bring back Dr. Guerrero?

BB: Uhm.. hey Francis… I told Tony that we would bring Dr Guerrero back.

FM: I'll think about it. :)

THE FLASH #16 is on sale January 30, 2013.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By daredevil21134

I drop this book awhile ago.I love Barry but these guys just weren't doing it for me.So i'll continue to wait for the next creative team

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Lol bring Dr Guerrero back lol

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By JLDoom

Hell yes! Awesome interview! I can't wait to see the new Reverse Flash. You dont hear the word "scary" very often when talking about superhero/villain redesigns so this should be interesting

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By reignmaker

As long as Francis is on pencils, I'll continue to buy this book.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By saoakden

I just recently bought the Flash hardcover and I loved it. I ca't wait to see The New Reverse Flash. Should be interesting.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MuyJingo

So Flash has no collection of Pre New52 events even though he remembers Flashpoint and gave Batman the letter?

SpadesSlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpadesSlick

We need Dr Guerrero back.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#8  Edited By pspin

Great interview! These guys made me love Flash, I hope they keep up the great work!

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By Trevel8182

Bring Back Dr.Guerrero.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mrgreenlantern

this is one book i look forward to each month. Top of the pile hands down

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#11  Edited By Teerack

So is Daniel West that's in the book right now. Is he Wally's dad? I don't recall anything about Wally's family other then Iris.

Avatar image for juandicimo_magnifico45
    Juandicimo_Magnifico45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I love the creative duo on this book! I cannot wait to see their Reverse Flash.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Squalleon

@MuyJingo said:

So Flash has no collection of Pre New52 events even though he remembers Flashpoint and gave Batman the letter?

He has forgotten the event the same way he forgot about the regular world during flashpoint!

He only has some memories of his mother!

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MuyJingo

@Squalleon: OK. I couldn't actually get through Flashpoint, I found it terrible, so must have missed that bit., also, !

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15  Edited By RedOwl_1

@Reignmaker said:

As long as Francis is on pencils, I'll continue to buy this book.

This ^ The art it's just gorgeous, both colours and pencils :3

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Maybe that Doctor Guerrero was actually a clone, he was introduced during Mob Rule (a clone story). There you go, he is back. He knew he might get killed and planned for that with a clone.

I cannot wait to see the New Reverse Flash. And the new costume. I like old cheesy costumes like Composite Superman or the Disco collar Nightwing, but I think Reverse Flash should have a new costume. Its like what Robot Chicken said, he is just the yellow and red switched. Wonder who he/SHE will be.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By evilvegeta74

Wally will be Reverse Flash!

TriggersDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TriggersDown

Great interview. This is the first series I actually picked up reading (Newbie to Comics). I'm really glad I made the choice

Serberus08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Serberus08

Been waiting a LOOOONG time to see the introduction of the Reverse Flash in the new 52. I think it's going to be great.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Fantasgasmic

With all the cloning going on in the Mob Rule arc, I think it's very possible that the Dr. G that got shot was a clone, the real Dr. G. is still out there waiting to be used as the Flash's version of Emil Hamilton from the Superman: The Animated Series, or Lucius Fox.

I'm guessing Daniel is Reverse Flash.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By doordoor123

SPOILER: Doctor Guerrero is Reverse-FLASH!

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Mbecks14

This book has been pretty consistently awesome! It's the only one I still collect monthly. I can't wait for more from these two, they've been doing an awesome job! I recommend this series to everyone.

skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By skaarason

@evilvegeta74: wally being Reverse Flash would totally be fine with me and kind of really cool

as soon as wally comes back i will start reading flash again

Mia26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mia26

This book is amazing, it's a must read for any Flash fan Barry fan or not.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I await Dr. Guerrero's return! Good team up with FM and BB on the book and am still curious with all they are doing with this ongoing.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dondave

Bring back Dr Guerrero

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mrgreenlantern

Dr G is going to become The Flash's Jackal =p

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By entropy_aegis

If they really wanna create a new character why cant it just be a wholesomely new one? why bother messing with a classic character like Zoom.They dont like his appearance/visual and they have no desire to expand on their relationship.

It's like saying I want to recreate Dr Doom but I dont like the way he looks,his name or his relationship with Reed so I'm gonna change all that but he's still Dr Doom.

aaunderoath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By aaunderoath

Hands down THE most underrated book in the new 52 in my opinion. Easily one of my favorites every month both story wise and that art oh MY god that art.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30  Edited By kennybaese

@MuyJingo said:

I think in Flashpoint it's mentioned that his memories of it were fading or something along those lines. All of those except for the memories he had or his mother, I think.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DEGRAAF

really? no knowledge of previous Reverse Flashes. They were just starting to work together....

I think no matter what happens they have to stop flash and all other villains and heroes from being able to go back thru time and change stuff or explain how it would work without destroying the universe we know so Flashpoint doesnt happen again.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sethysquare

Another reverse flash?

I really want eobard thawne back. how lame is it to have a 3rd reverse flash

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Mucklefluga

I reckon Reverse Flash will be in a Black costume with red lightining

OrokuSaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By OrokuSaki

@Mrgreenlantern: Exactly, this and batman are my 2 favorites.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.