Follow

Barbara Gordon

Character » Barbara Gordon appears in 4169 issues.

Barbara Gordon was the first modern age Batgirl until she was brutally shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara reinvented herself as Oracle, providing intelligence to the DCU heroes and leading the Birds of Prey. She has recently become Batgirl once again to protect Gotham City.

Off My Mind: Why the Return of Batgirl Doesn't Have to Mean The End of Oracle

• 79 results
    blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By blackkitty

I really feel the need to put Barbara Gordon as Batgirl is the same mindset that made Hal Jordan Green Lantern and Berry Allen as Flash. we're all just moving back to the 1980's as is no progress was ever made. Her decision to retake her costume to me is her taking a step backward. She's no longer evolving into a new person, she's devolving back into the role that she had forsaken. I have no problem with Barbara walking again, I simply think she should find a new identity to define herself that combines all her experiences as Oracle, Barbara and Batgirl. It simply doesn't seem logical. Course, now that Birds of Prey no longer exists, and many factors that made her who she became seem to have been written out of history, who knows. Maybe she never became this new person in the first place.

On a personal note. I have to say, I think her in a wheel chair is an inspiration to many people about overcoming one's own physical limitations. Allowing her to walk again simply seems like a cheap way out.

pinchworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By pinchworm
    @G-Man: Thanks for the info G-Man. I love the art - makes me want to check out the series. On a related note - I wish Comicvine allowed/encouraged attributions for posted images. Being able to always see the source and artist (if the posted supplied it or an editor added it) would be great.
    chowy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By chowy

Im sure Gail has something to tell on this story, and it wont be that Barbara walks again just because.
    Im still anxious tosee what happends to the other 2 batgirls

GBrutality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By GBrutality

what a lot of people seem to be saying, and i too agree, is that it's kind of a slap in the face to a lot of recently established and evolved characters.
    batman inc. aside and exclusively speaking on bat-family direct alone, i liked the dynamic everything had.
    Bruce was now everyone's batman and didn't just have to be in gotham. he'd take special villains from his rogues as his just-for-me cases (ex. the joker) that carried the most weight for him, which was sensible.
    this brought up the great thing that Dick went from Robin, to Nightwing, now to Batman of Gotham. the cops got along with him better, he had a different set of skills, approach, and started getting his own enemies. the only thing that sucked was when Bruce came back, they immediately made it seem like he was stuck again in his shadow.
    Tim proved he didn't just need to be robin, though red robin is an eh identity, Tim Drake is a great character and proved he's almost as intelligent as Bruce, with a similar presence that Dick has.
    Stephanie became batgirl and it worked because she had been involved with them for so long that it made sense and pushed her character along.
    Cassandra is still revered as a member of the family that sort of looms in the shadows.
    Jason was the black sheep of the family.
    And finally Barbara was the brilliant one who though she had her days as batgirl, she grew into an even more interesting character as oracle. she would take the different batgirls under her wing, much similarly to how Bruce has with his wards, and taught them all she could.

it's hard to find anyone who doesn't like Barbara, but she is more recognized now, and i think has done much more, as oracle. i get it, she misses swinging around and all that but that's someone else's gig now. it's just measuring where her good has weighed out more.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By feargalr

I hope theres an explanation for it.. like being in a wheel chair and still being as badass as she is made her one of the best characters in DC i think...

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#56  Edited By CombatSpoon86

If there's a good explanantion to why Barbara is walking again I'd like to hear it. If anybody can do this, Gail can.

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#58  Edited By Herx

I'll admit that seeing Barbra as Batgirl again did put me in a "face palm" situation, especially considering the whole "heroes dealing with real life situations" that DC said that the revamps would be dealing with. I mean Barbra was dealing with it waaaay before this focus on the real life situations idea, but then making her walk again (even by cybernetic enhancements / exoskelington ) seem's like a bit of a move away from that focus, and just brings back memories of the lady shiva episode of the super-special-awsumly-popular Birds of Prey Series where Barbra wears and exoskelligton to try and fight out of her wheel chair (spoilers, it dosnt work good :P) 

Putting her back in the bat-suit just seems like a step back in my opinion, sure she can still do her Oracle duties, but why Batgirl? Her becoming Oracle was a bigger step in her career than Dick becoming Nightwing, so going back to Batgirl, i mean if they were going to make her walk again why not give her a new identity to fight crime on the streets with while she continues to act as Oracle? I mean it just seems weird, like making Dick decide that now he wants to be Robin, 20something year old wonder? They've grown to much to go back into those rolls. 

But despite that I will be picking up Batgirl #1 ( I know, I know, I'm being Hypocritical..... so sue me........... well don't really but ummmm stuff :P ) because my curiosity has been spiked, but it just seems like a move away from DC's new initiative for characters and their real world situations is all.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#59  Edited By Pokeysteve

Gail is the only reason I can see this working. No one love Barbara more. Except maybe Babs. 

jennifermontes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By jennifermontes

Oracle is such a unique and interesting character... Making Babs return to Batgirl will make her just another babe in tights.

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Wattup

At first, I didn't like this idea as I think Barbara Gordon as a paraplegic is an empowering character but if she regains the use of her legs through physical therapy and hard work, it's could be empowering as well.

However, if she becomes fully able through magic or retcon, I think it's terrible.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By fodigg

If it's the suit that lets her walk but she's in a wheelchair outside of it...that wouldn't be too bad.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63  Edited By HubrisRanger

I still keep going back to this quote from the interview that Gail did over at Newsarama:

"The decision to roll back the experience clock on the characters, to show them as learning and growing and exploring again, which is a concept that I heartily endorse. In theory, I think it's the most exciting thing in the world. In practice, it means some hard choices and some surprising twists and turns that take a while to adjust to."

I suppose it is possible that the book could take place in two time periods, both with Barbara as Oracle in the present and parallel stories of when she was Batgirl, but either way I think Simone is clearly stating that the clock has been rolled back to prior to Killing Joke in some fashion.

Shipwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Shipwreck

Babs is Babs not matter what Super Name she falls under. They are all just masks. Whats matter is the character behind it. Just because Babs is Bat-girl does not make her another babe in tights. From the beginning of her story we knew she would amount to more than the Huntress and the Black Canary as a crime fighter. She proven that already and it's because of Comic-books and Scifi TV we have the ideas of the medical and scientific advances . Here's another step towards and actually as one of DC Strongest Female Leads it's going to inspire another scientist to do more with the ideas of the past.Look at what the first Superman did for people bond in wheelchairs. Babs maybe able to inspire the next steps to helping people walk again. It's not a bad thing and I feel people need to stop looking at it negatively. Because of her being in wheelchair she did a lot of good for the real society. Now it's time to move on and find another way to inspire.

BruceW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BruceW
    @HubrisRanger: I Agree, That's what i saw as well. If that were the case, I wouldn't mind picking up the book
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By goldenkey

keep her crippled.  That's what makes her interesting.   Making her Batgirl with the abilitiy to walk none the less fight crime in a physical mannner is weak.  It's what makes being a hero that is human not so risky.  Screw it, if Batgirl can have her SPINE shattered by a bullet and be able to go out and play good guy bad guy with all the other masked men..................................
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By goldenkey

why don't they just throw a magic bean in Arsenal's shoulder a grow his arm back?  Wait, does he still have a cyborg arm that plugs in?
    Avatar image for shadowmercenary
    ShadowMercenary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ShadowMercenary

Are they gonna bring Huntress in this reboot too? 

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By B'Town

@Duo_forbidden said:

Since Gail Simone is writing Batgirl, I have absolute faith that she'll maintain what makes Barbara Gordon so great. It is great to see her stepping away from in front of the computer screen and kicking butt again, but after reading this article, the thought of her being both Oracle and Batgirl never came across in my mind. The thing I'm wondering about is how Simone will approach Barbara being Batgirl again. Looking back on the animated series, she's always been fun, smart, and took pride to what she was doing like how Stephanie is now. Now that she's older (I think), will she maintain that approach or try something new similar to Batwoman?But really, I'm going to miss reading Stephanie's ongoing Batgirl series. I hope Gail brings her in her series somehow along with Cassandra.

What he said... ALL of this.

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#70  Edited By B'Town

@doordoor123 said:

Is it weird that I think Gail Simone's Barbara Gordon is really attractive? She writers her perfectly. Shes completely redefined the character. Anyone else that writes Barbara doesnt excite me. Its kind of like how Bucky was handled. He was a great character in the hands of Brubaker but anyone else that writes him doesnt really know how to write him. I have been going back and forth whether to pick up this new Batgirl or not. I think I wont, only because I want to support the smaller books. This book has gotten a lot of attention and will be a top seller for sure.

I think you should pick it up. As much as I am going to miss what we have/had... I am really looking forward to what Simone is going to do with Barbara as Batgirl. When a writer or artist loves a character; it is special. Shouldn't miss it.

Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#71  Edited By Maki_P
    @KINCART said:
    If Barry Allen can be the Flash and Hal Jordan can be Green Lantern then Barbara Gordon can be Batgirl.
    Those weren't good decisions. And many of us are still not happy with them (specially Barry, Wally earn it, dammit!)
    ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ThanosIsMad
    @goldenkey said:
    keep her crippled.  That's what makes her interesting.   Making her Batgirl with the abilitiy to walk none the less fight crime in a physical mannner is weak.  It's what makes being a hero that is human not so risky.  Screw it, if Batgirl can have her SPINE shattered by a bullet and be able to go out and play good guy bad guy with all the other masked men..................................
    Her being crippled doesn't make her interesting.  The fact that she moved on from Batgirl and formed her own identity makes her interesting.

She quit being Batgirl before Joker paralyzed her anyway, so rolling back her spinal injury shouldn't impact her as Batgirl.
    Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#73  Edited By Omega-Man

Even if Barb is still in the wheelchair and has a cyber suit it makes no sense for her to be Batgirl when she has two able girl's that could take up the role.

Cassandra Cain

Stephanie Brown

Both girls have earned the mantal, plus even if she is STILL in a wheel chair it makes no sense as to why Babs would be Batgirl again she's about 26 years old, for a grown woman to be called a girl makes no sense unless she has a peter pan complex, that would be like if Dick Grayson decided to be Robin again, It's not that she is crippled it's that she has out grown the role of Batgirl, hell Barb wasn't Batgirl anymore when she got crippled she gave it up before the Killing Joke, so pretty much she was tired of wearing the suit anyway. What would change her mind so much that she wants to take the suit up again that she would just say no to both Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain?

Both girls like I have said earned the mask and title in there own right, even if Steph says she's had enough  which is unlikely since she is enjoying being Batgirl and likes wearing the mask nothing in her character says she regreats being Batgirl. What about Cassandra? She only gave it up because Bruce told her too and that she should go to Hong Kong to fight crime and await orders when he returns which was the begining of Batman Inc. 

There has to be a damn good reason why Cassandra and Steph are not to be Batgirl anymore, and I mean a REAL good reason. Otherwise it makes it look like Barb has a peter pan complex, so this story is not just about Barbara Gordon being able to walk with a cyber suit it's about Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown not taking the mask.

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By BuNKiTZ

Well, if this is the case, then I'm fine with it. As much as I hate Barbara being Batgirl again, thus replacing Stephanie, I feel like the most important thing about her is being Oracle and to be able to inspire disabled readers out there. And if she will be able to continue on as Oracle, then great! :)

Still though... Where. The. !@#$%^&. Hell. Is. Wally. Freaking. West. And. Stephanie. Brown. DC!?

yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#75  Edited By yo_yo_fun

U know, I was really afraid when I heard that Barbara was going to be Batgirl again. I mean, I've been waiting for her to be back in that suit for a long time. (I mean, if characters can come back from the dead, why can't they make Barbara walk again?) I loved Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. So, when she was shot by the Joker, I was upset. But then I got to know her as Oracle & she became a stronger character, very smart. She lost a lot that night but the fact that she took her misfortune and kept going and became something great was very inspiring. Oracle is a very strong character. 
    So, hopefully they won't "kill off" Oracle & maybe us fans who are excited & curious about her being Batgirl again will be able to have out cake and eat it too:)

Also, what's going to happen w/ Stephanie Brown???

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#76  Edited By TheMess1428

Hey, Charles Xavier was able to walk again...

reaperkenswolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By reaperkenswolf
    @Jordanstine said:
    I smell Professor X cybernetic limbs from "Wolverine & The X-Men" animated TV show...
    Those weren't cybernetic limbs. They were leg braces.
    Also, I love that Barbara is getting her ability to walk back but I want to know why she is regressing to Batgirl. She could just stay with Oracle or invent something new (the name Big Sister comes to mind). Plus, if they just erase the Oracle experiences, I'm going to be extremely upset.
    I'm still really hoping she gets her legs back using a Lazarus Pit and that it leads to some kind of struggle between her and Dick Grayson that results in a reaffirmation of their relationship.
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#78  Edited By Mbecks14
    Barbara Gordon IS Batgirl. 

@PeteyParker
    said:
    HOW IS WALLY WEST YOUNG AGAIN?!?!?!?!
    he's not...
    kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By kelbear

No, I don't like it. Seeing her fight crime with only her intelligence was interesting. Seeing her just punch and kick like dozens of other DC characters is a big step back.  The Birds of Prey dynamic was interesting. It's a shame they're going to throw that away by bringing Babs into the field making it like every other team being led from the front.  

They haven't thought this through, and they're not going to make this work.  

(P.S. They should give Cass her own damn series again too)

Menkui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Menkui

I am very much looking forward to seeing the return of Batgirl with Barbara in her original role... always loved her as Batgirl ... As for the use of legs ... its always good to have a change every now and then ... I think its time for her to be able to walk again. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.