Follow

Barbara Gordon

Character » Barbara Gordon appears in 4183 issues.

Barbara Gordon was the first modern age Batgirl until she was brutally shot by the Joker, rendering her paralyzed from the waist down. Barbara reinvented herself as Oracle, providing intelligence to the DCU heroes and leading the Birds of Prey. She has recently become Batgirl once again to protect Gotham City.

Killing Joke was never meant to be canon, now it might not be?

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter

Comicbook.com - Has The Killing Joke Been Removed From DC Comics Continuity?

==

Head here for the full article

According to an article from Bleeding Cool, in Batgirl #49 it showed that what happened to Barbara during Killing Joke was a false memory placed there by The Fugue.

From Bleeding Cool - The Killing Joke Was Never Meant To Be Part Of DC Continuity – And Now It No Longer Is

And in last week’s Batgirl #49, as the book comes to a close before the DC Comics Rebirth event, and the creative team goes elsewhere, a change was made.

It has been revealed that a number of Batgirl’s memories were fake. Implanted for nefarious purposes by The Fugue. And now in the process of being withdrawn, removed, remembered. And one of them?

Larger Image

Head here for the full article

-

@Elbarto17

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why?

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I dropped that title a few months ago. No regrets. DC really needs Rebirth to go well.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's not really what the writer said though.

Now that we’re a few days out from it, a thought on Batgirl 49: I’m often interested in ambiguity as a narrative device. One of the things we intended for this issue was for it to be read in several ways, depending on your own interpretation and/or preference. I believe that an individual’s subjective interpretation of a work of art can matter as much as the artist’s intent. What does an image mean to you specifically? How do you interpret it based on your own set of experiences? There’s no right or wrong answer. This is, I think, an unusual concept for the superhero genre, where material is often strictly deemed canonical or “real,” or not. There’s no right, and no wrong, way to read that page. It is what it is to you. We deliberately set it up that way. If you want to read it as retcon, you’re welcome & encouraged to do so. If you want the timeline as-is, you are also encouraged to do so. Your own personal “truth” in this story is what we want you to take from it. How you read that page is how it is.

So it seems to me that it could go either way.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that we’re a few days out from it, a thought on Batgirl 49: I’m often interested in ambiguity as a narrative device. One of the things we intended for this issue was for it to be read in several ways, depending on your own interpretation and/or preference. I believe that an individual’s subjective interpretation of a work of art can matter as much as the artist’s intent. What does an image mean to you specifically? How do you interpret it based on your own set of experiences? There’s no right or wrong answer. This is, I think, an unusual concept for the superhero genre, where material is often strictly deemed canonical or “real,” or not. There’s no right, and no wrong, way to read that page. It is what it is to you. We deliberately set it up that way. If you want to read it as retcon, you’re welcome & encouraged to do so. If you want the timeline as-is, you are also encouraged to do so. Your own personal “truth” in this story is what we want you to take from it. How you read that page is how it is.

Meh. That 100% sounds like the writer trying to backtrack out of things now that they are getting some backlash.

The tweet from the artist made it pretty clear that they intended to change continuity and their antipathy towards The Killing Joke is pretty well established.

It reminds me of when that guy wrote the story where Hulk beats the hell out of Thor with his won hammer and then leaves his unconscious, busted up body lying on the ground. When Thor fans went mental he did an interview a t Newsarama where he tried to claim that the scene was written such that you could interpret it as Hulk "running away" from Thor's broken body because he was scared that he might...get up or something.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fifthchild said:
    @nathaniel_christopher said:

Meh. That 100% sounds like the writer trying to backtrack out of things now that they are getting some backlash.

The tweet from the artist made it pretty clear that they intended to change continuity and their antipathy towards The Killing Joke is pretty well established.

It reminds me of when that guy wrote the story where Hulk beats the hell out of Thor with his won hammer and then leaves his unconscious, busted up body lying on the ground. When Thor fans went mental he did an interview a t Newsarama where he tried to claim that the scene was written such that you could interpret it as Hulk "running away" from Thor's broken body because he was scared that he might...get up or something.

Could go both ways and I honestly think its crap reasoning regardless. Not only because retconning KJ in such a way doesn't make any actual sense in regards to what's already happened and been said in this universe, but because it really just comes off as them being incapable of making a solid decision and standing by it. This is a half-measure. "How you read that page is how it is". No. That's dumb and KJ is too big an event to leave it on that note.

At the same time, I don't think the issue itself makes it all that clear either one way or the other. Barbara is literally falling through her mind when all this is going on and you see a variety of different events flashing by while this villain is messing with her. Don't really think everything we see is meant to be fake. Heck, one shown on the same page of KJ just has her sitting in a wheelchair. Another just has her and Dick swinging through the city (Gotham I presume) as Robin and Batgirl. Another has her graduating. Point being, some of those memories are good, some are bad, and others are fairly pivotal either way (Such as her being in a wheelchair in general, regardless of KJ). Doesn't honestly look like there's any way to distinguish real from fake in that picture.

EDIT: Also makes the team look somewhat silly in my opinion. They've been pushing pretty hard the importance of Barbara Gordon moving on from KJ and really never had to reference the story again if they didn't want to. Then they go and do something like this. For what purpose? None except the simple fact that they apparently don't want it to be canon in any form. Just comes off as fairly childish to me. Especially when at the very least the event, traumatic as it was, led to some phenomonal character growth for Barbara Gordon.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Loading Video...

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well KJ was just referenced in Rebirth.

WickedMadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WickedMadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for det_batsuperman
    Det_BatSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See the killing joke really shined light on the Batman and the Joker's dynamic. While Barbra Gordens crippling is one of the most shocking scenes in comics. Soooo I'm still gonna consider it canon. I hate they idea that they just pretend like it was in her head like come on why blast on such a defining batman story.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: Thank You, Man. I appreciate it

You're welcome.

See the killing joke really shined light on the Batman and the Joker's dynamic. While Barbra Gordens crippling is one of the most shocking scenes in comics. Soooo I'm still gonna consider it canon. I hate they idea that they just pretend like it was in her head like come on why blast on such a defining batman story.

As I pointed out above it doesn't even matter at this point anyways lol becuase whatever the last writer intended Killing Joke is now unarguably canon again. Agreed on not liking the treatment of such a pivotal story though. I can understand why people might not like it or what happens to Barbara in it, but i've always felt that it was one of those truly shocking events in comic books, which are becoming more and more rare, and that afterward Barbara was handled really well in her transition into Oracle.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't one of the Joker faces (after the 3 Jokers thing) on Batman's monitor from Killing Joke?

I always thought KJ worked better outside the continuity. That way the ending is also ambigious.

BibbyBoxx2219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't there a KJ tie-in comic that featured Barbara retiring as Batgirl? Meaning that TKJ was always intended to be canonical?

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't one of the Joker faces (after the 3 Jokers thing) on Batman's monitor from Killing Joke?

I always thought KJ worked better outside the continuity. That way the ending is also ambigious.

No Caption Provided

@bibbyboxx2219 Batgirl Special #1 is what you're thinking of, Barbara's last case as Batgirl and when she retires. Don't know that i'd call it a tie-in however, since it was never listed as such.

BibbyBoxx2219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: Yeah I guess it wasn't really a tie-in, I just called it that cause it sort of tied-in with some of the stuff going on at the time, if that makes any sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.