Follow

Bane

Character » Bane appears in 1056 issues.

Born sentenced to life in prison for the crimes of his father, the boy who would be come Bane learned that the strong survive, and the strongest become king. Forging himself into the pinnacle of physical and mental potential and becoming "king" of his prison, he learned of the Batman, "king" of Gotham City . Escaping and studying his quarry, Bane challenged and defeated Batman, becoming known as "The Man Who Broke the Bat".

Why Bane is Awesome

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Edited By batmannflash

This time, I'm going with a villain instead of a hero. These are reasons why Bane is awesome:

1. His Personality is Different

Something you may not know about Bane is that he is a loving person. Most villains who think they are superior feel like they shouldn't help those below them. However, since Bane thinks he is superior, he has shown to help the weak and helpless, like children. From time to time he has done good deeds and is a respectful adversary to Batman. He acknowledges Batman as better than him and is a great team member when work with other villains (unlike the Joker). Interestingly enough, if you've read "Secret Six" (which I highly recommend), Bane is the voice of reason and knows when the others are doing something wrong. I will expand on this in later points.

2. Scandal Savage

Bane is caring towards Scandal, who in turn sleeps with him (non-sexual) to help him overcome his Venom addiction

Bane cares about her healthy diet
    Bane cares about her healthy diet

In "Secret Six," we are shown an interesting relationship between Bane and Scandal Savage. He cared for her deeply and was a father figure to her. He may of come off as awkward to Scandal, but he's caring nonetheless, which totally threw her off.

3. He's Tried to Fight Venom

Bane is addicted to the super-steroid Venom. However, for most of "Secret Six," Bane was off the steroid. He knew it was bad and tried hard to fight it. Apparently he screams at night in withdrawal of the drug. You have to respect someone like Bane who actually tries to get away from something that is bad. He did have to use Venom in order to save Scandal's life but for the most part he refused to use it. Scandal Savage even took Venom herself when they were in danger because she knew how much Bane didn't want it.

4. You Can Sympathize With Him

Bane was born in a prison, in order to serve a life sentence for his father. He never had a childhood and suffered countless pain. You'd think that Bruce Wayne had no childhood, but Bane's life was even worse. You can tell from his interactions with others that he is very socially awkward because of his lack of interaction for a big chunk of his life. I don't know what others say, but I totally felt bad for him when he was trying to fight off his addictions.

Bane and his Osito
    Bane and his Osito

5. He's Highly Intelligent

A common misconception is that Bane is a stupid brute who just punches everything. That is not true. Unfortunately, a lot of TV shows and movie (Batman & Robin...ugh) have not properly portrayed Bane. Even for Batman TAS, I was not impressed by Bane. In "The Batman," Bane is red. What? I thought "Young Justice" did an okay job and "Justice League: Doom" did a fantastic job. In terms of intelligent and tactics, "The Dark Knight Rises" was the best portrayal.

No Caption Provided

Anyways, Bane is almost equal to Batman in terms of brains. In "Knightfall," he used tactics, strategy, and patience to take down Batman. He made Bruce tired, found out his identity, broke his spirit, and broke his body. In the New 52, the Venom also enhanced his intellect.

6. He.Broke.the.Bat.

No Caption Provided

Why Wolverine is Awesome: http://www.comicvine.com/profile/batmannflash/blog/why-wolverine-is-awesome/93403/

Why Aquaman is Awesome: http://www.comicvine.com/profile/batmannflash/blog/why-aquaman-is-awesome/93397/

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
    The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Im very much enjoy those ...... is awesome. Thanks for making them

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By batmannflash

@the_jackolantern: Thank you for enjoying this! :) Any characters you want to see in the future?

The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe a Constantine,barry allen flash or andrew from I,vampire

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By batmannflash

@the_jackolantern: I haven't read I,Vampire (I plan on reading it one day, though). I'm definitely going to do Barry Allen since he's my second favorite hero, I just want to save him for later. I might do Constantine in the future, we'll see!

DrunkVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DrunkVader

hes reminds me of joseph stalin which is not an insult

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Quite a few of these reasons are derived from Gail Simone's interpretation of Bane, which is pretty specific to her Secret Six run and far from definitive or representational of the character as he usually is. She gave Bane a kind of tenderness and fatherly instinct that he doesn't actually have. Dixon and Moench's Bane was not a man prone to kindness or much in the way of mercy; he once declared that he would kill for anything, "to silence a grating voice, to darken the light in eyes that dared look at me."

Bane despises weakness and helplessness, that was the entire point of him spending years bettering himself physically and mentally in Peña Dura. Another aspect that's Simone-specific. I'm certainly not saying her interpretation isn't valid or that it doesn't add some nuances to the character, but there is a substantial element of out-of-character fabrication to her version. Plus no one actually uses her version anyway.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quite a few of these reasons are derived from Gail Simone's interpretation of Bane, which is pretty specific to her Secret Six run and far from definitive or representational of the character as he usually is. She gave Bane a kind of tenderness and fatherly instinct that he doesn't actually have. Dixon and Moench's Bane was not a man prone to kindness or much in the way of mercy; he once declared that he would kill for anything, "to silence a grating voice, to darken the light in eyes that dared look at me."

Bane despises weakness and helplessness, that was the entire point of him spending years bettering himself physically and mentally in Peña Dura. Another aspect that's Simone-specific. I'm certainly not saying her interpretation isn't valid or that it doesn't add some nuances to the character, but there is a substantial element of out-of-character fabrication to her version. Plus no one actually uses her version anyway.

Yeah I realized that, but it's a version of Bane that I like and that I always take into consideration. So do you not agree with some of my points?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hes reminds me of joseph stalin which is not an insult

That's an interesting comparison lol

The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_jackolantern

For a villain being called stalin is not a insult but for anyone else it would not be fun.

You should defo give I vampire a look its only 20 issues so maybe only 3 trades since I dont think you could get it anymore in issues

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DrunkVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DrunkVader

For a villain being called stalin is not a insult but for anyone else it would not be fun.

You should defo give I vampire a look its only 20 issues so maybe only 3 trades since I dont think you could get it anymore in issues

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwHAT?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

A very interesting, different take on why Bane is awesome. Usually it's for his serious, superior attitude and his earlier storylines but a lot of these reasons seem to be derived from Simone's Secret Six run which is critically praised and loved by comic fans too. Nice blog!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@batmannflash: This is pretty cool.

I know it's allot of work but would you mind doing one for Captain America? It would be great to see what you come up with.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: yeah there's a long line of characters I will do. Captain America is one of them, so keep your eyes open for when I make one for him!

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hawkguy

Could we maybe see MMH, Magneto and Hal Jordan?

Really well written and informative, keep it up, its awesome stuff!

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

SoftMachineOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo forgot Osito!. Amazing Article :)

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By batmannflash

@hawkguy said:

Could we maybe see MMH, Magneto and Hal Jordan?

Really well written and informative, keep it up, its awesome stuff!

Thanks! I will definitely do those 3 sometime soon. Great characters

@softmachineoo said:

Yo forgot Osito!. Amazing Article :)

Thanks :) And yes Osito came to mind. I just added a picture of Osito

Bruticus112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bane is one of my favorite villains and this made me love him even more.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruticus112: nice to hear! These are mostly for me to voice why I like these character and hope to make others like him too

SoftMachineOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Good thread although you have kind of used Simone's take on Bane that almost no one uses.

jackbensley777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

isnt it vandal?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By batmannflash

@jackbensley777: what about vandal? no I meant Scandal Savage. Why in the world would Vandal sleep with Bane? And why would Bane take care of Vandal?

No Caption Provided

jackbensley777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Very nice, I enjoyed reading this and it grew my appreciation for the character. Well done.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By entropy_aegis

Not necessarily true,I'd say Simone's version draws influence from Bane's appearances in the Gotham Knights series.

Bane's evilness also seems to vary from writer to writer, even Dixon Bane had his moments of kindness,I'd say O'Neil's Bane is the most evil and clearly Tynions Bane seems to be channeling that version.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah bane is awesome

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimmie_Hudson_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dude, sweet.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By batmannflash
    RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RustyRoy

Nice blog!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lelanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great topic! I really like Bane. Loved him in the Arkham Origins game. He was well presented in there. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.