Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7704 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Off My Mind: Marvel Studios' Next Event After Avengers

• 86 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
    The Avengers movie will be coming to theaters in May 2012. A lot is riding on this movie as it will determine the future of Marvel Studios and the direction they take in adapting their characters. Last week Diane Nelson, president of DC Entertainment, said Marvel has decided not to go the team route with their superhero movies.  Yet, Marvel Studios is banking everything on a team movie; The Avengers in 2012. Once that movie rebuts, what's left?  I have some good news for you. 
     == TEASER ==
    Paul Gitter, President of Consumer Products recently spoke with Advertising Age about Marvel's plans. He says "Avengers Assemble" logos and icons will be taking prominent positions on different products and packaging.  

The big play here is that Marvel is really looking at our films more as brands and less as films. The goal here is to become more of a household name similar to Procter & Gamble and Johnson & Johnson. We want Marvel to take a much greater position in the minds of the consumer when they are thinking about our properties. 

No Caption Provided
    That might sound like the market will be flooded  with random Marvel products. Hopefully it will be done in a tasteful way and not simply annoy everyone into not wanting to see the movie. The more attention Marvel can get, especially in reaching those millions of movie-goers that don't read comics, the more successful the movie and the future of Marvel & superhero movies will be. 

Avengers Assemble! 
    Avengers Assemble! 
    What makes this marketing blitz interesting is Gitter alludes to "a plan in development" that will hit in 2017.  Obviously the success of The Avengers will determine how intense these plans could get. What could they do to top the momentum they're already building with Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and the Avengers? Will Marvel Studios continue with the existing characters by making Iron Man 3 and other spin-off/sequels? Will we see more focus on other "brands" such as Black WidowAnt-Man and Doctor Strange? Perhaps the stage will be set up to take on an ambitious project such as Civil War

The problem with thinking about 2017 is it is seven years away. As great as all the current actors are, will they still want to do the roles and would we still want to see them in those roles? Comic characters don't really age. Sure Hollywood has some tricks to slow down the aging process among actors but I feel like we'll see some recasting if they continue with these core characters. Shouldn't be a problem since we're already seeing so many different Hulks, right? Either way, I think it's great (even if it's an obvious move) that Marvel is indeed looking beyond The Avengers. Obviously comic book movies have never been better and I just hope that this fun won't end any time soon. 

What would you like to see after The Avengers comes out? What could and should Marvel Studios do to keep the momentum going?
    rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rentfn

For some reason I think Avengers is going to be a train wreck. Who knows what will follow.

tgaxgriffenx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By tgaxgriffenx

I think the issues DC would have as far as to many famous character and big budget actors sharing face time in a Justice league movie would be like twenty times worse in a civil war movie. Even if Marvel has success with the Avengers, which i'm quite excited about, balancing so many  famous faces seems like a near impossible task. I would still like to see an attempt even if it is more fumblingly funny then epically awesome.

Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Jayso4201

I am excited, even if I'm not a big Avengers fan, I love Thor, but never did care for Iron Man, or Cap, I hope it works so we can see more to come in the future.
    Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bandito

Thinking of other team/ensemble concepts, they could maybe do a Defenders movie if they reacquire the rights to Silver Surfer and release a Dr. Strange movie, and something with Namor.  I personally don't want a Namor movie, but want him to be featured in a new Fantastic Four

On the other hand, after releasing the big guns as The Avengers, I wouldn't be surprised if they go with a more street-level Heroes for Hire or Marvel Knights take.  They're talking about a Luke Cage movie, an Iron Fist movie; they have Punisher back.  If they can get Daredevel back, maybe do a Moon Knight movie, they could go that route. 

Or maybe combine the two: Maybe the Avengers sequel(s) won't be like Ultimates 2 and more like New Avengers.

ateygheyev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ateygheyev

I think the Avengers movie will be great.  And if not, well, there's always the comic.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By TheMess1428

So we're seeing a setup for 2017? How is that going to work? 
    2008 - Iron Man, Incredible Hulk 
    2010 - Iron Man 2 
    2011 - Thor, Captain America 
    2012 - Avengers, Runaways
    2013 -  
    2014 -  
    2015 -  
    2016 -  
    2017 - Avengers 2 

We could have anywhere from 4 to 8 movies in that gap. Punisher, Iron Man 3, Ant-Man, Dr, Strange, Luke Cage/Iron Fist? Maybe Thor 2 or Cap 2? Hulk 2? Hawkeye or Black Widow spinoffs? SHIELD or Nick Fury movie? The possibilities are endless. What do you guys think?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Gambit1024

I hope the next project is to bring in the Marvel Knights. By 2017, Marvel will hopefully get Daredevil and Elektra back to make it happen. 

Marvel Knights could be: 

Black Widow 
    Black Panther 
    Iron Fist 
    Luke Cage 
    Moon Knight  
    Daredevil 
    Elektra 
    Punisher
    tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tonis

I suspect Avengers will probably be considered a success overall by the producers & Marvel on its release. With years of building it up it's likely to top the opening weeks and with the toy revenues of these kinds of projects along with exposure to new young audiences. 

It's always good to rejuvenate your generational characters with new fan bases.

fedspaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By fedspaz

Hmm... a Marvel Knights movie... now that could be interesting.

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Namor1987

Black Panther with the guy from Blood Diamonds, Luke Cage, Namor, Dr. Strange, Moon Knight (heavy pg-13 maybe r), possibly Nova or Guardians of the Galaxy, New Mutants, Power Pack (for the kids) & X-Force (the new version geared towards adults)

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By DanialCarroll

I think the next few years after Avengers will be spent rebooting all their previously-licensed franchises (whenever they re-acquire the rights)... Such as they did with Hulk/Incredible Hulk...

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sobe Cin

Maybe by 2017 marvel will get the rights back to the X-Men franchise.
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Decept-O

2017 is a long way off.  Please, no "Civil War' for a movie.  Bad idea.  You talk about too many characters in movies, wouldn't that be a prime example?  While not really a complicated story for those of us who read comics, for movie audiences, it might be.   

Secret Wars?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller? 
    Suggs44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Suggs44

I would like to see a live action Planet Hulk/World War Hulk movie

lastdrag0n89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lastdrag0n89
    @TheMess1428:  You forgot the Runaways will also come out in 2012
    Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sobe Cin
    @Suggs44:
    that's just as ambitiious as Civil War.
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheMess1428
    @Namor1987: Everything mutant and X-related are all owned by Fox so no X-Force or New Mutants. 

@Sobe Cin said:
    " Maybe by 2017 marvel will get the rights back to the X-Men franchise. "
    I wish. 

@Suggs44: I doubt they would do Planet Hulk now that the animated version is already out. 

@lastdrag0n89: Is Runaways actually a Marvel Studios movie?
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Namor1987
    @TheMess1428 said:
    " @Namor1987: Everything mutant and X-related are all owned by Fox so no X-Force or New Mutants. 

@Sobe Cin said:
    " Maybe by 2017 marvel will get the rights back to the X-Men franchise. "
    I wish. 

@Suggs44: I doubt they would do Planet Hulk now that the animated version is already out. 

@lastdrag0n89: Is Runaways actually a Marvel Studios movie? "
    Well what about a Immortal Iron Fist movie or Ka-Zar movie
    Nefilim927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Nefilim927

I wish they would get all the rights to their characters like Spider-Man, The X-Men and Fantastic Four, that way something like the Civil War storyline could be done to the fullest extent.  However I don't think that the current movie Dr. Doom is anywhere close to the bad-assery that is his comic book self.   At the same time I do want to see some of the more lesser known characters get their chance (hopin for an Edgar Wright Ant-Man movie).  I still don't understand how we can have a Ghost Rider 2 though.
    riotman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By riotman

I want it to be good but I don't if the movie will be good with all the different superheroes together

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By Cafeterialoca

I think we'll hit a downward decline in super hero movie popularity after this movie hits.
    Not that it will be bad, but I'm already sensing that the general public is starting to get sick of this genre of films.

BenB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BenB
    @Cafeterialoca: Agreed
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheMess1428
    @Namor1987: They're still up in the air I guess.
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Namor1987
    @TheMess1428 said:
    " @Namor1987: They're still up in the air I guess. "
    I think a Namor movie would be ill all the vivid colors of Atlantis plus Namor's womanizing & superior attitude & just bad-@$$ery could bring that character a fanbase in the mainstream or get him some more titles
    darthfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By darthfoo

Not sure how I feel about a team up.  Most of the time I leave a Marvel flick wishing there was more.  It's gonna be tough to give everyone their due time.  Having Whedon on board belays my fears slightly.

ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ckal

ANIHHILATION! yeah. That would be awesome to see although I doubt it would happen.

lastdrag0n89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lastdrag0n89
    @TheMess1428: Yes it is.
    countvontrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By countvontrey

I think they should pace themselves. The general public who aren't familiar with all of it will feel bombarded with Marvel related films, merchandise, commercials, whatever. The newness and novelty of "Hey, a comic book movie. Nifty" will wear off eventually. I am afraid that most audiences will be done with Marvel by the time Avengers comes out. 

But this doesn't mean that I'm not stoked to see it and hope it comes out great.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheMess1428
    @lastdrag0n89: Okay I'll edit it then.
    TooWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TooWalrus
    Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sobe Cin
    @Namor1987: 
                      said: Well what about a Immortal Iron Fist movie or Ka-Zar movie      

I would have loved to have seen an Iron Fist movie about ten years ago with Ray Park, now not so much.
    queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By queenfrost_

in 2017 it should be Avengers 2 with a complete different line-up (aside steve and tony)

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Would be cool if that is when other studio's propertiys expire and marvel can get back there characters ha ha.

7 years is not that far away in terms of movies. Cris Evens has signed a 9 picture deal. Captain America being one, and Avengers being 2, that leaves 7 more movies, plus it takes anywhere from 2 to 3 years to make a movie, so them playing the same characters in 7 years is not a big stretch by any means, and people wonder why they cast young people ha ha. 

Something Big? I could see Avengers 2 and 3 released the same year as a 2 parter.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jordanstine

By 2017...  

At least Daredevil will be back in the Marvel Studios fold.  

If the Spider-Man"4" reboot fails as badly as Superman IV, maybe Sony will give him back?  No!?  Why not!? 

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#35  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Cafeterialoca said:
    " I think we'll hit a downward decline in super hero movie popularity after this movie hits. Not that it will be bad, but I'm already sensing that the general public is starting to get sick of this genre of films. "
    It's possible. Yet we still get horror and sci-fi movies. It's all on how they're executed. If they're done well, people will want to see them. If studios start churning out crap, then people may get tired of them. My hope is that these movies will get more people to read comics or trades. 

Also, not all comic book movies have to be about superheroes (RED, The Losers, etc) so maybe there's still hope. 
    DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DanialCarroll

I think the next run should be: 

1. Daredevil (reboot) 
    2. Punisher (reboot) 
    3. Moon Knight
    4. Black Widow
    5. Cloak & Dagger 

And then ending in a Marvel Knights collective film...
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gambit1024

Or maybe by then Marvel could get the Fantastic Four back and they can do a trilogy with them.  

First movie could be vs. Puppet Master, 2nd Doom, and 3rd Annhilius? Galactus? 

Or they could go the comic route and tie in Namor & Atlantis or Galactus and Silver Surfer

Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bandito
    @Danial79:  
    They've tried Punisher three times and failed miserably each time.  He's toxic as a solo movie project.  They would be better off leaving him as a foil for Spider-Man or another hero, although I would just as soon they never show him again (on film or comic).
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#39  Edited By ImperiousRix

I think after Avengers, Marvel should aim for a more low-key approach with some more minor characters before building back up for another big event movie.  I'd want that event movie to be Civil War, or perhaps something like Secret Invasion, but I think fatigue will set in if Marvel keeps pushing every single movie they make as "THE BEST MOVIE THAT EVER EXISTED EVER!"

Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Demas
    @Jordanstine said:
    "
    By 2017...  

At least Daredevil will be back in the Marvel Studios fold.  "
    I thought FOX was contemplating a Daredevil reboot to keep the rights.
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @rentfn said:
    "For some reason I think Avengers is going to be a train wreck. Who knows what will follow. "

Me, too.
    Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42  Edited By Benzo

I want to see a Agents of Atlas movie! :P (Or at least a nextwave movie....)

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mickoreo_LZ
    @Decept-O:
    I think you hit the nail right on the head. When you get a lot of characters in the same movie it usually turns out that most characters don't get the screen time they deserve, and it really makes it hard to get involved with the characters. And Bueller isn't in class today
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Doctor!!!!!
    @rentfn said:
    "For some reason I think Avengers is going to be a train wreck. Who knows what will follow. "

Avengers will not be a train wreck!
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By roadbuster
    @G-Man said: 
    It's possible. Yet we still get horror and sci-fi movies. It's all on how they're executed. If they're done well, people will want to see them. If studios start churning out crap, then people may get tired of them. My hope is that these movies will get more people to read comics or trades.  Also, not all comic book movies have to be about superheroes (RED, The Losers, etc) so maybe there's still hope.  "
    Yeah, this is why I liked your genre article recently... even within the superhero genre you can tell a wide range of story types that aren't just origins or action flicks.  Many of my favorite superhero runs have been comedies like: 

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    When it's played for laughs a lot of the struggles of comic book adaptation (making it grounded, relatable, realistic, resonating, the deadly seriousness of costume design, etc) go out the window and the audience can just have fun! 

I think there's room for a period piece trend since that is as much about transporting audiences to another time as it is putting powers on the screen... and shows like Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, etc. show how much that period aspect that carry an already good story. 

I definitely understand Marvel's desire to create a brand... but I hope they focus on diversity and quality over just quantity.  It should be a shame to invest so much into making "Marvel" a household name... but synonymous with "B-movie".  A series of bad movies or even one big stinker can completely sink a brand (consider BP spending billions on marketing only to have an oil spill completely destroy their brand overnight). 

It definitely does not help that many of their big ticket properties are in the hands of other studios... and if many Comic Vine readers and comic fans can't distinguish between their actions and Marvel's, how is the non-comic reading public going to fare?
    Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46  Edited By Cafeterialoca
    @G-Man: Outside the superhero genre, yes, those can be successful.
    But they are starting to retread old ground with Spider-Man reboot, Wolverine Origins sequel, X-Men origins, Ghost Rider sequel, and another Super-Man reboot, audiences will start crying enough.  I more positive with Thor, Cap and Avengers, because those are new properties.  But when I mention Spider-Man reboot to people, they moan at how unnecessary it is.  I think that Avengers and Batman 3 are going to be the last really big movies, and then the Super Hero Genre will die out afterwords with so many mediocre films pushed by Fox and Sony.
    Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By Gothic Storm
    @Decept-O: Yeah, I've been talking about a Secret Wars movie since they mentioned doing an Avengers movie. Once Marvel/Disney gets the rights back to X-men, FF, and a few others then I can definitely see them talking up a Secret Wars movie... or perhaps even an Infinity Gauntlet movie. Now that would be awesome. 

Civil Wars would just have too many characters... unless they included only those who have been introduced to the public (through movies) so far. Then it would be sort of useless to do... unlike a movie where only certain heroes are chosen to participate (like Infinity Gauntlet or Secret Wars). I can see them doing an animated version of Civil War though. That would be pretty awesome in and of itself. 
    Avatar image for mistersarcastic
    mistersarcastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mistersarcastic

Kinda iffy on the whole thing... Didn't like how they handled the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, or X-Men franchises. They say they made the changes to appeal to those who don't read comics, but impo it just F'ed things up. >.> At least Spider-Man is getting a reboot. Perhaps Fantastic Four and X-Men will get one after this Avengers thing? 

Anyways, not sure. I'm hoping the Avengers won't be shit in a sugar-coated disguise, but you never know... they'd have so many characters and actors/actresses, no one would hardly get more than five lines *cough*the Expendables*cough* Or maybe not, X-Men had a handful of characters too...and now i'm just rambling, I'm done. ^_^

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#49  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Who is going to cameo in Spider-man's reboot?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

They should do a Hawkeye & Mockingbird, Black Panther, Iron Fist & Luke Cage, and take control of the Venom and Deadpool movies

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.