Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7699 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Early Review: MIGHTY AVENGERS #1

• 95 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

No Caption Provided

The immediate question is, do we need another Avengers-title? Al Ewing sets off right away to give this title a separate feel from the others. From the beginning it starts off with a Heroes for Hire feel. That's what Luke Cage has been up to since leaving the Avengers (he does have a family to support after all). Cage has been working with the new Power Man (Victor Alvarez as well as the current White Tiger (Ava Ayala). The hook of the story and connection to Infinity is all the Avengers have left the planet (as seen in INFINITY #1) and Thanos has decided this is the perfect time to push his plans and move towards Earth.

You can maybe see where this is going and why the "Avengers" name will become attached to these heroes.

The nice thing about this team is they definitely have a more cohesive feel to them. With Jonathan Hickman's (main) team, we're seeing a huge team, which makes sense in having the right hero available for different threats. The problem is, you start to lose the team feeling that way. These characters have more of a connection. Having the SUPERIOR Spider-Man around adds to the tension that makes team books more entertaining.

The villains we see in the beginning sheds a different sort of light upon the Marvel Universe. Too often we see the same old villains fighting the heroes and you have to wonder why they never get the point that they'll just keep losing to them. Throughout the evolution of this new "Mighty" Avengers, we get a sense of how this team will be different along with some mystery showing that we haven't seen the full picture yet. In other words, the whole gang isn't here just yet. How the few do gather here is great since you'd expect a city full of heroes to eventually show up in the same places.

The Bad

It is a little strange having what basically appears to be street-level heroes tied up in a galactic crossover like Infinity. That event may be the what launches the formation of this team but it just feels odd having a cosmic level threat involved. We don't see the entire team so we can't form a firm opinion on how this team will be. It is an interesting start so far.

The art by Greg Land sometimes comes across as too pretty or the characters appear like they're posing for the camera. This isn't anything new. There was a great panel with Luke holding the bridge of his nose in exasperation but it's a little distracting when the background people all look "pretty" as well.

I like the idea of a bickering and snotty Spider-Man being around to be a pain but there are times it comes across as too much. SUPERIOR Spider-Man works in his title. SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN TEAM-UP was pushing things a little. This could become more annoying than enjoyable really quick.

The Verdict

We may not need another Avengers title but we do have a fascinating gathering of heroes here. Event tie-ins sometimes feel forced but this gives an interesting twist with all the heroes busy elsewhere. With the Marvel Universe containing so many different characters, it's easy for some to get lost in the shuffle. If you've been missing any of the characters here, you'll definitely want to check this out (except for Spider-Man, since it's hard to miss him with him popping up more and more in the Marvel U). Al Ewing starts off the series on the right foot. We don't have all the players in place but there is a curiosity that will make you want to come back. With a mysterious character right away and more members to come, there's no telling what the next issue will bring us. MIGHTY AVENGERS isn't the series you were expecting but it's going to be the one you're happy to read.

MIGHTY AVENGERS #1 is on sale September 11, 2013.

No Caption Provided

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

my god how many avengers comics is that?

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By Trevel8182

Ugh! Land

http://4thletter.net/gregland.gif

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I will check this out.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well Luke's New Avengers were always one of my favorite Avengers Teams, because of the family-like feeling living together in one big house and all. The only problem i have with this setup is that i dont really know or care about any of the characters besides spidey and luke.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vascillator: If you've seen any interviews or solicits, there's more to come. Some interesting choices coming up.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the team, but not enough to start another Avengers title. In fact if Infinity flops and doesn't pay off, I'll drop Avengers and New Avengers.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18: 6, 7 if you count the Ultimates

Isn't it 7, 8 if you count the Ultimates?

Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Young Avengers, Avengers A.I., Mighty Avengers, and Ultimates

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ill give it a chance becuz I've missed Luke the whole too many avengers titles out isnt bothering me. I enjoy Hickmans avengers the secret aveners and new avengers haven't gotten to the young avengers or avengers are a but this one does catch my eye becuz of the tie in they will have for infinity and how that develops

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@dabee: There's also Avengers Arena, but that's ending.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

When is Avengers Overkill going to be released?

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By queenfrost_

Can I just say it's great to see so much diversity in one line-up! It's rare to have a team where the PoC characters outnumber the white characters, so to have the Mighty Avengers of all teams to include this is an incredible feat :D

Bloxxeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@patrat18: 6, 7 if you count the Ultimates

Isn't it 7, 8 if you count the Ultimates?

Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Young Avengers, Avengers A.I., Mighty Avengers, and Ultimates

Avengers Assemble, A+X (that can sort of count) and the ending Avengers Arena.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the team, but not enough to start another Avengers title. In fact if Infinity flops and doesn't pay off, I'll drop Avengers and New Avengers.

I'm on the exact same boat.

bigboi100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Pre-Batman

Bruce’s parents are killed when he is nine. Same as before.

Four years prior to Year One, Bruce trains with Ra’s and Talia Al Ghul overseas. Ra’s picks Bruce as a suitable mate for Talia and the two have a short lived fling, but Bruce realizes Ra’s and Talia’s evil nature and parts ways with them. Unknowing to Bruce, however, he has impregnated Talia with the Son of the Demon...Damien.

Year One

Batman’s first year is a solo one. Year One, The Long Halloween, The Man Who Laughs still happen, Bruce’s tale about the Joker in ‘Death of the Family’ happens in this time period. Pretty much the same as before. This is also the year where Bruce meets Superman and the Justice League and fights Darkseid.

Year Two

This is the year where Bruce meets Dick Grayson, probably a few months in. Dick Grayson, judging by his current state in the DCnU, was probably a lot older than usually depicted, possibly in his late-late teens. The duo have many adventures as Batman and Robin and Bruce finally makes a friend. Barbara, earlier in the year, becomes Batgirl and tries to help Batman and Robin, but ends up quitting after several months.

Year Three

Grayson departs the Robin mantle during the middle of the year, making his time as Robin a year and a half. He departs right after Barbara is crippled due to the Joker, making the Killing Joke happen in this year as well. One month after two events, Batman runs into Jason Todd trying to steal a tire off the Batmobile. Jason is also in his late-late teens and is trained in some martial arts, but needs financial support. He becomes the new Robin until...

Year Four

At the beginning of the year, Jason is killed by the Joker, making his total time as Robin 6 months. Batman decides to have no more Robins after this point, but literally days after, a smart teenager named Tim Drake determines Batman’s identity as Bruce Wayne and approaches him about becoming the new Robin. Batman humors him and trains him throughout the year since, unlike Dick and Jason. During the course of this year, many things happen, including the events of Knightfall (3 months), No Man’s Land (4 months), Hush(1 month), and Under The Red Hood (1 month). At the end of the year, Bruce finally meets Damien, his son.

Year Five

Tim branches off to be his own vigilante, Red Robin, at the beginning of the year. Around this time, Bruce is sent back in time by Darkseid in a fight with the Justice League (since Final Crisis didn’t happen in the DCnU) and Dick Grayson has to become Batman with Damien being the new Robin. (6 months). Bruce fights his way back and becomes Batman once again, filling the role alongside his son as Robin, and forms Batman Incorporated. Batman fights Joker once more, this time causing him to go into seclusion for one year. Batman finds the secret of Gotham and fights the Court of Owls and his possible brother at the end of the year.

Current Year Six

The Joker disappeared for a year, but now he returns to wreak havoc on the Bat-Family.

This causes so many continuity problems it is not even funny, and there is still so many questions to be answered, but this is this only way I can think of it explained. Add any comments you want below, any questions. I understand if you hate it, I can take criticism. But don’t blame me, blame Dan DiDio.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy: Oh yeah... how could I forget Avengers Assemble? I guess I was just thinking Marvel NOW! But yeah, 8 or 9...

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By AllStarSuperman
    Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#20  Edited By Trevel8182
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I like the idea of this team, but why in god's name is Greg Land on the book?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Phew, watch, a couple more years, Marvel will be nothing but Avengers and X-Men. They'll probably even change the names of other teams to fit, Guardians of the Galaxy will be "Avengers:Cosmic" or something.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By patrat18
    Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bladewolf

No offense to Tony, but his rating system works out so that if he gives something 4 stars I never know if it's good or not. A 3 or less from Tony usually means "don't bother reading" and a 5 means "buy this and read since it rocks!" Sadly, I feel whenever something gets a 4, it actually leans into one of the other categories, more often than not the lesser category. Ultimately, I know everyone has his or her own opinions, but I can't really discern the quality based off a 4 star rating.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
    deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigboi100000: I mean the time line kinda works sure some really great stories technically never happend but they're still there to read. Look on the bright side though sure there's a lot of crap in the New 52 but I think we can all agree there's also a whole lot of good! Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Scott Snyders Batman, Grant Morrisons Batman Inc, Justice League Dark is amazing, and Justice Legue has had its ups and downs but its never been horrible.

If you listen to the Dan Diddio and Jim Lee episodes of the Fat-Man on Batman podcast they both make a pretty good case for the New 52 as a whole.

Also why did you post this on a review for an Avengers comic? Why not wait till a Batman book comes out and post it there?

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigboi100000: um make a thread also i thought jim lee said it was 10 year

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Phew, watch, a couple more years, Marvel will be nothing but Avengers and X-Men. They'll probably even change the names of other teams to fit, Guardians of the Galaxy will be "Avengers:Cosmic" or something.

They've sort of started doing this already in a small way:

No Caption Provided

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman said:

They've sort of started doing this already in a small way:

No Caption Provided

...Yeah, that looks about right.

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superior spiderman sucks.....but luke cage rocks

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Manchine

Its got Luke Cage in it. Won't EVEN TOUCH IT.... he sucks that bad. Although Superior Spiderman is in Luke Cage suckage is to much to overcome.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to read it!

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

#33  Edited By knighthood

I'm off and on with this title. I really like Blue Marvel, Quantum (or what ever she's called), She Hulk and White Tiger. The others I'm kinda iffy about. The rumor about Miles Morales joining this team would be interesting. I'm not exactly happy Land is working on this book, but I think I'll give it a shot. Especially since I'm already reading Infinity.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@trevel8182: yes land one of the greatest artists out there today. miss his uncanny x-men run back when the x-men were living the dream. sigh good times good times

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when every single hero, no matter how mighty or from what universe, united against a common threat, that all teams and book titles shall contain the word...Avengers! Heed the call, then - now the Avengers Assemble!...

Disclaimer, response times may vary by factors including but not limited to, which Universe you are in, which Earth you currently reside, availability of team members to best suit your immediate threat and other unforseen circumstances. All rights reserved.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladewolf: Sorry if a five-star system is confusing. Also, this is why put words in the review. To highlight what we liked and did not like.

5 Stars = Great, loved it. Had a blast reading it.

4 Stars = Really good. Some distractions preventing greatness.

3 Stars = Okay. A decent read. Nothing to cheer about.

2 Stars = Oh man. What's going on here.

1 Star = Woof. This comic actually pissed me off.

*these are the way I interpret them and are not necessarily the official CV terminology.

Poncho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Poncho

i really wanna read this alot but..............Greg Land

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When is Avengers Overkill going to be released?

Comment of the day goes to ^^^^

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait til they get the full team together. Anxious for the Blue Marvels arrival, we finally get top see him cut lose again after he's trashed the likes of King Hyperion, powers not affected by nanites, like in the Thunderbolts, and knocking the Sentry into orbit with a bloody nose just off his reflexes. Go Blue Marvel!

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ffff.Forget Land, screw that Foo. I am not buying this solely because of him. How is Marvel trying to push characters like Power-Men(both of em), White Tiger, Blue Marvel, Falcon, and whatever Photon is calling herself now with a title that has Land as the artist.

I am curious however about Who this Robin is.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really on the fence on getting this. I only follow New Avengers and I have not read anything with these other characters except Spidey and Cage. Not sure, it's $3.99?

Avatar image for captainamerica1
    CaptainAmerica1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CaptainAmerica1

This isn't on topic but why does Luke Cage wear steel around his wrists? His skin is bulletproof.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not touching this. Never cared for The Avengers really, and come to think of it, how many books does Marvel have that is not a team book (mainly X-men or The Avengers)?

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

I absolutely agree that there are way too many Avengers titles, but I think this one has the potential to be one of the few that really earns its title. I'm trusting you Ewing, don't let me down.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By manwithoutshame

I'd rather this was Heroes for Hire instead of another Avengers team.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've wondered that myself@ Captainamerica1 why does wear still bands?

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I may try it, even if I do have an qualms of Land's art.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

@g_man said:

@bladewolf: Sorry if a five-star system is confusing. Also, this is why put words in the review. To highlight what we liked and did not like.

*these are the way I interpret them and are not necessarily the official CV terminology.

A 5-Star system works better when you can split them in half.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@g_man said:

A 5-Star system works better when you can split them in half.

THEN IT ISN'T A FIVE POINT SYSTEM!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.