Awesome Toy Picks: Disney Infinity 2.0 Marvel Super Heroes

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a close look at a comic book collectible. That means taking it out of the package. This week we're bending the rules a little. We're not really looking at actual toys and it could be argued how collectible they may be. They are comic book related and they are really cool. Let's take a close look at the figures from Disney Infinity 2.0 Marvel Super Heroes.

No Caption Provided

Just to be clear, this is not a review on the game. It's out in the U.S. on Tuesday. We've played it a little at San Diego Comic-Con and a couple weeks ago in San Francisco. I got my hands on all this last week and have been playing with my daughter. I will say right now, the game is a blast. I love the fact that it appeals to myself, who's been playing video games since the Atari 2600, as well as my daughter who's only really played Skylanders a little along with some Minecraft and Disney Infinity (first edition). But we'll get more into that later this week. What we are going to do is take a close look at the actual figures.

In case you're unaware, the game comes with a base in which you can place one or two figures. These figures are who you'll play with in the game. There are different settings and not all figures can be used with each set of missions. For example, there are an Avengers, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy game levels. There is some limited crossover with some characters.

The design of the characters are unique. It's pretty similar to what you'll see in the game. The characters' powersets and abilities can be upgraded as you earn points throughout the gameplay. You can decide which abilities you want first, etc.

The Avengers

No Caption Provided

Captain America

Captain America is rad in the game and can, obviously, throw his shield.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Iron Man

Iron Man is a favorite because he can fly and has his repulsors. Here's a hint, flying characters are really helpful. We've come across some coins in the Spider-Man level for Iron Man. Collect a certain number and you can unlock him to play in the Spider-Man levels. This makes sense since Iron Man's appeared in the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Thor

The God of Thunder is another characters that can fly. He's pretty powerful too, obviously.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Black Widow

I'm not sure who's more excited about Black Widow, me or my daughter. She's really great in the game and it's great to have some female characters (even though my daughter has preferred playing as Spider-Man or Thor).

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Hawkeye

Hawkeye's pretty fun too and shooting arrows is nice.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Hulk

Hulk is nice and big. Hulk is another figure that could be unlocked for the Spider-Man levels. He won't be available individually for the first month. He'll be exclusive to the PlayStation bundle but you can see in the first pic, he will come in his own package.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Ultimate Spider-Man

No Caption Provided

This is more in line with the animated series.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man is fun to use because he can wall-crawl, shoot webs, and swing all over the city. The web-swinging physics is pretty easy to handle.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Nova (Sam Alexander)

I have to admit, Sam Alexander is my favorite character right now. Being able to fly feels like cheating sometimes. His blast power is pretty great. I've been power the heck out of him.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Iron Fist

Iron Fist is a crazy great melee fighter. He may not be able to fly or anything but, dang, can he fight.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Nick Fury

Yeah, you would think Nick Fury should be in the Avengers set but he is a big part of the animates series. He used to be, at least.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Venom

Venom is another massive figure. He has some similar abilities to Spider-Man. But it's Venom.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Guardians of the Galaxy

No Caption Provided

It's funny, in a way, that the Guardians of the Galaxy figures and gameplay were announced before the movie even opened. It goes to show how much faith Marvel had in it.

Star-Lord

Star-Lord is cool because he's Star-Lord. Who wouldn't want to play as him?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Gamora

Here's the second Marvel figure that will be available. There will be other female figures like Merida from Brave and Maleficient. Gamora is pretty bad-ass.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Drax the Destroyer

Drax is a fierce character. Watching him swing his blades is really spectacular.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Groot

Groot is another cool character to use. And of course, he's Groot. We are Groot, right?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Rocket Raccoon

Then there's Rocket Raccoon. That's the hard part about playing the Guardians levels, you won't be able to choose which character to use.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

That's it for this week. So far, I'm having a blast playing the game. It's simply fun with plenty of variety and it's easy to just get sucked in and lost playing. Not all figures will be available at launch. More figures will be coming as well.

No Caption Provided

For those interested, we will have more coverage on Disney Infinity 2.0 coming up. We'll also feature another comic book collectible next time.

Do you plan on getting the game?

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Cool great selection. Hopefully one day the Fantastic Four will join these figures.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Winter_Kills

These are so cool! Definitely gonna be getting this game & the lil' guys that go with it. I really wanna play as Star-Lord, so freakin bad! Like you said, Star-Lord's so cool, who doesn't want to play as him? He's Star-Lord!!

No Caption Provided

I also hope they make a Winter Soldier for the game too, that'd be freakin' sweet.

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even collect toys at all but I really like the design of these.

joshorizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkwing Duck would be a sweet addition to this collection.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 19

EXCELSIOR!

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you given these for free for review purposes?

I cannot imagine anyone thinking these are worth £14.99 per statue for that lackluster detail.

you may aswell go out and buy lego marvel superheroes, you don't need to spend waste your time and money on statues to get the most of the game because Lego Marvel Superheroes comes with all the characters you could want instead of the ones Disney/Marvel Execs have the movie rights to.

powerflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: I believe there is a power disk for the game that summons the winter soldier as a team up.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So much plastic!

I like the design of the Disney Infinity figures. I think I would like an animated series featuring those designs. Get on it, Disney.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm still shocked that HULK is an exclusive character.

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sammo21

I have my PS4 special edition version paid off! Cannot wait to pick it up on Tuesday. I wanted to get all the Guardians figures as well but I figure I will have enough to play in the main game for a while.

@zzombie13: He's a timed exclusive. You will be able to buy the figure separately in a month or so post launch.

Fabulosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fabulosity

I don't collect toys, but they look fabulous.

RandyPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RandyPan
No Caption Provided

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still picking up my pre-order on Tuesday, even though all the reviews so far have made me sad.

Hoping they put out a Winter Soldier playset.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

From reviews I've read the story mode is lame and the spidey and guardians add ons are awful, but the tool box idea is great. Shame the game and figures are way too expensive.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@leokearon: I think you should also be aware of whose reviews you're reading. From a pure video game perspective, yeah, it's not going to blow gamers away. I'm looking at it from both my perspective and that of an eleven-year-old non-gamer. As well as from a comic book reader's perspective. Playing as the characters is cool, hands down. I've mainly been doing the Spider-Man story right now. It feels like it'd fit in with the animated series. Osborn (Green Goblin) is mucking about with trying to clone the Venom symbiote. Lots of venoms around to fight. There's a cool Mysterio level at the beginning. I'm enjoying it for what it is.

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Those Marvel Heroes finally give me a reason to buy Disney Infinity *__*

I'm mostly interested in Hulk, Hawkeye and Gamora

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok so you have to buy the game and then buy the figures to play more of the game? Am I missing something or would it just been easier to make a game where everything is included? The game actually looks pretty cool but why go the extra steps with the figurines and the game pad to make an extra few bucks. Im pretty sure the Lego games it takes a button to change into a different character not an extra $13.99.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 94

@viin: Yeah but the play style with the lego's is extremely limited compared to Disney Infinity plus you get an awesome figure to show off. Plus Disney will always release new characters whereas you'll probably only get a few DLC packs for Lego Batman.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 94

Im so freakin lealous. I waited to long to order the value pack so I have to wait for them to restock. And here you are with the entire freakin set. *sits and pouts*

Poor_Censored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@viin: By attaching characters to physical figures, they can justify compartmentalizing and segmenting content - and charging you more for it.

Basically... because they can. People will still pay money for it. To my knowledge, it basically started with Skylanders and everyone and their brother who can figure out how to make it work in a video game have been scrambling to imitate it.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerflux:

That's cool. I hope they make him a playable character. I heard somewhere that they were gonna have Yondu & Falcon too. (I think Falcon was a given, but having Yondu from the movie is pretty awesome.) A game where I get to use characters like these are just too awesome to pass up. Somebody also mentioned an animated series in this style, I could definitely go for that too! (BTW, awesome avatar, Man-Thing is freakin' awesome.)

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viin said:

ok so you have to buy the game and then buy the figures to play more of the game? Am I missing something or would it just been easier to make a game where everything is included? The game actually looks pretty cool but why go the extra steps with the figurines and the game pad to make an extra few bucks. Im pretty sure the Lego games it takes a button to change into a different character not an extra $13.99.

I think you are late to the party, this type of thing has been going on for I think3 years now, with the whole spyro skylanders game and figures. Think that came out in 2011, then disney infinity soon followed...and i believe smash brothers for the wii u is doing the same thing.

The reason they are doing this? The success with skylanders no doubt, and the fact people are spending money for these, people are buying them so why wouldn't they keep doing it lol

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@viin: It is primarily a money making tool, but it allows them to expand and carry over things between versions of the game. Sure each story mode is exclusive the the version your playing, but that's not likely the reason you'd be buying it. The figures are basically like DLC to an extent. It's aimed primarily at kids and combines video games with toy collecting, sort of like with pokemon cards and toys in the nineties, but these serve some kind of function to the game itself. It's gimmicky, you can tell that just by looking at it, but at least they put effort into making cool designs and it is with characters people know. You can honestly just buy the figures without the game if you like the design, it that way it's not really that different from a PVC figure or statuette, except if you happen to have the game you can scan them in. Kids seem to enjoy it and it's generally harmless.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Cool great selection. Hopefully one day the Fantastic Four will join these figures.

Also the X-Men

Darkwing Duck would be a sweet addition to this collection.

And Gargoyles too!

Avatar image for the_greatest_username
The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think we'll be seeing the Fantastic Four or the X-Men because they're owned by Fox. It's a shame too, because if I knew that they'd be included I would feel more inclined to spend $74.99 on the game and then get the extra figures. I might pick this up if it goes on sale or something.

Sky_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool. I'm a fan of toys, but they look cool.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing it for a while, but it hasn't really "clicked" with me yet. The combat is a bit iffy at times, but on the other hand the story is ok and all the characters are pretty cool. As is exploring the different parts of New York looking for coins, etc.

I can see where you can really get into building your own levels in the toy box, but at the moment I'm kind of struggling with all the options.

The figures sure are shiny though!

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29  Edited By staypuffed

I'm not that interested in the game itself, but damn I love those figures. The designs, the posing and the characters themselves are all amazing.

Just a note, Tony - I think the word 'cool' was used a few too many times. Like, way too many times.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By leokearon

@g_man:

The reviews I read are from places I trust, yes the comic fan in me would love to buy the game and the toybox sounds like a lot of fun but at the same time I don't want to spend €75 on an average game with accessories that cost the same as a Marvel legends figure (€20)

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think we'll be seeing the Fantastic Four or the X-Men because they're owned by Fox. It's a shame too, because if I knew that they'd be included I would feel more inclined to spend $74.99 on the game and then get the extra figures. I might pick this up if it goes on sale or something.

Fox also owns the right to games and merch?

I thought it was only movies and Disney still had the comics and the rest of the stuff....

Much sad.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By leokearon

@the_greatest_username said:

Fox also owns the right to games and merch?

I thought it was only movies and Disney still had the comics and the rest of the stuff....

Much sad.

The F4 and X-Men can still turn up as long as they don't base them on any Movie likenesses, Spidey is owned by Sony but since they are basing him on the show Ultimate Spider-man and not the movie Amazing Spider-man they can turn up. The same way Lego have done X-Men and Ultimate Spider-man sets

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Eh, STILL not sure whether to get the game. I don't feel like buying a figure every week just to experience the game to it's full potential. The game doesn't even look THAT mind blowing IMO, seems like a toned done version of Lego Marvel ( at least the Marvel toy box does)

But I won't lie, Star Lord, Nova and Spiderman are seriously making me reconsider my thoughts on this game. :P

Avatar image for the_greatest_username
The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leokearon: Marvel's contract with Sony isn't the same as it's contract with Fox. That's why we haven't been seeing any new cartoons from either the X-Men or the F4, but we still see Spider-Man on TV.

The LEGO game is a unique instance from this game because it was a game about the Marvel Universe. This game is still DISNEY Infinity, so you won't be seeing anything that Fox owns.

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These figures look so awesome! I'm even tempted to just buy some of the figures alone without the game.

woodimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was able to get everything that dropped today without spending a penny out of pocket, thanks to Gamestop's raised trade-in values + some gift cards + some old store credit. Can't wait to play when I get off.

Also, there is a Power Disc that features a vehicle from Darkwing Duck. Not sure if anyone mentioned that.

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I love that they look like clay sculptures. :}

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wow... pretty damn sweet.

- TAS

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@captainmarvel4ever said:

Also the X-Men

Pipe dream. Marvel has given up on promoting anything X- or FF-related. They've essentially said so themselves.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.