undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Last issue ended with Gladiator deciding to obliterate Earth in order the save the rest of the universe from any more incursions, as their sites are always on Earth. It’s a very utilitarian way to deal with the problem, the deaths of billions for the lives of trillions, but since Earth is where all the coolest plotlines happen, there’s bound to be some pushback, though the Illuminati has some strange and horrible plans of their own. Jonathan Hickman has done an incredible job throughout this series of showing the absolute mental toll this has taken on the participants at the highest levels. Reed Richards is often written as being emotionally detached, making him a difficult character to sympathize or identify with, but Hickman writes him as being torn apart internally, particularly as he seems to be having trouble shutting down the logical parts of his brain that know what must be done even as T’Challa tries to sound detached about choosing who lives and who dies. It’s a monumentally powerful scene with some great interjections from Valeria (who finally got a dish of ice cream!) that help both enhance and lighten the mood. He also shows us Doc Green and Captain Britain going on a singularly odd, morbid mission and here’s to hoping that this isn’t the last time those two team-up. It'd be great to see them side-by-side in a less desperate context. It’s the Guardians who get the spotlight last and, through an amazing transition, we go from one cliffhanger masterfully achieved to another.

Stefano Caselli’s art is exactly what this issue needs to wring every ounce of emotional energy out of this vast, gargantuan storyline. Caselli’s cartoonish-yet-grounded visuals help tell the story of what’s not being said, and what’s going on in the minds of the characters in a book with very little, if any, narration or exposition. It’s a difficult, and necessary, skill to make action look great in a still medium, but having characters expressions stay consistent and move “between” panels in ways that look organic is as hard, if not harder, and that’s what Caselli’s style brings to this issue. Frank Martin is on colors and everything springs to vibrant life throughout the issue, but tinging everything enough to let the reader know that, while some things may have a spark, there’s a shadow being cast across the entire issue that's far, far more overpowering.

The Bad

There’s a ton going on in this book at this point, and while this issue brings a lot of it into focus, it also feels scattershot. We take the briefest of glimpses back to check on what’s going on with the Cabal, but after last issue’s panic-inducing cliffhanger, checking back for as little as we get only adds to this all-over-the-place feeling without enhancing what's going on with them. It would have been better, and a more effective use of page space, to simply leave that part out and bring it in when the narrative is less concerned with keeping tabs on as many groups as it is.

The Verdict

It’s great to see a buildup issue that neither feels like a holding pattern nor that it’s focused solely on the plot. Hickman’s ability to consistently have characters drive plot, rather than the other way around, means a lot more investment in the outcome, even if that outcome is in a major comic company, thus having only a few real variations. It’s the mark of a great creator to take these preconception of how events will turn out and STILL make the reader care about the goings on within them.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This might be one of the greatest stories I've ever read in comics.

chlaudio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about cyclops? What do you think he has in mind?

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I need to pick this up

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

great issue. very well written. this was one of the few times like i felt the writers took the time to think a good script through.

i love the beards in this boook. everyone looks great.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Best part of this issue was when Val was eating chocolate ice cream. Found it funny that even though the universe is coming to an end, kids will still be kids.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot say enough how much I'm loving this story...

Although the X-Men stuff, is this tied into any other X stuff? I'm confused :/

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved seeing the GOTG and the Cyclops in this issue

nfareed71024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

the cover art looks like it was inspired by erik larsen. in other words, i like it. but most cover artists are awesome.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mark_Stephen

At this point I really hope they all fail and everyone dies so that they can reboot. Between this and DC's Future's End I've gotten really tired of heroes and worlds dying. In this case I'm really hoping that the Illuminati dies.

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

God this was so good. Caselli is great and the stakes are so high. Man...

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue and art inside. Not a fan of the cover art though

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point I really hope they all fail and everyone dies so that they can reboot. Between this and DC's Future's End I've gotten really tired of heroes and worlds dying. In this case I'm really hoping that the Illuminati dies.

Well the heroes won't quite 'die' but the Universe WILL END when the SL has run its course. so you'll get your wish in one form or the other.

I have to say that these last 10 issues have been among the best Avenger issues I've read in the last 15 years. I think it has to do with the fact that they really have something tangible (from reader POV) at stake this time and we /readers) know they're not coming back to status quo for a long while after this.

It helps that I'm also a sucker for any forlorn hope-stories.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@sinikettu: Well I haven't enjoyed it really, Hickman has crafted a tale in which I really have no sympathy for any of the Illuminati and it's kinda sad to see the heroes as complete failures. But the moods in marvel and dc right now are just 'more death is better death', and I doubt that'll change after this all over. They are all in love with death.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: I my self felt that whole Avengers had gone stale and repetitive so the current thing felt a fresh change.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinikettu: Having them fail so completely and pathetically is new I'll grant you that. But at least in the old days I'd have cheered for them. After Dr. Strange murdered the great society heroes and Namor blew up their world I just didn't feel that the rest of them were heroes anymore and I'm hoping a lot of them don't come back after the universe dies. They'll probably will of course, but I wish they wouldn't.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: I think that's one of the points in the story as well: how far will our heroes truly go to save their world and is there any way to come back from that abyss they've fallen in on?

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinikettu: I don't think there is, at least for Dr. Strange and Namor, but marvel has a very flexible standard of morality. If the character can make marvel money then there really isn't anything that they can do that can't be wiped away with a quick and cheap redemption story and a few tears. In the marvel universe view no one is really guilty of anything no matter what they do.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: It's the same with all comic companies that have really 'big' heroes. It's just 'dumb' to not keep making stories about popular characters; but yeah there's been times when some kind of 'justice is served' special annual would have been in order. Because the Avengers have done a lot of not so valiant things that should have come biting them in the rear long time a go already.

Though I suppose it might get a bit boring to watch IM or Strange sitting in civic court & jail for the next 20 issues or so...

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinikettu: Yea, but it's hypocritical for characters to fight for justice while at the same time being murderers. Look at Tony Stark or Carol Danvers, a fascist and a fascist hypocrite and they are both considered big time heroes. Justice is inversely proportional to how big a 'star' they are and if they are big enough even the people they treat like dirt have to kiss their feet. She-Hulk and Iron Man are the best example of that, but Thor and Iron Man comes in a close second.

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a fantastic run this has been. This is definitely the best Avengers story I have ever read. 1 long arc from issue 1-42 and into Secret Wars (as well as New Avengers). I love long form story telling when it's a story worth telling. I love these characters. I love seeing them pushed to the max and have to make tough choices, sometimes there is no good option and you have to choose the best of 2 bad ones. It's been awesome to see the Illuminati put into that situation and be challenged like that. Namor forming the Cabal. Then watching him suffer with the guilt as his creation spins out of control. Lots of conflict in this book. It's a deep story that sometimes comics don't get to. It's more than just good guys vs bad guys. Hickman is just so talented. I hope he changes his mind and sticks with Marvel after S wars. Or DC perhaps?

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
    HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So in the New universe, will the only Abstract level beings me the Beyonders or Molecule Man should I say?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.