undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

For an arc called Rogue Planet, the titular planet has, so far, played a very small role in the overall story. A team of antagonistic Avengers from a world destroyed by an incursion, just barely evaded its fate when A.I.M. Island opened an exploratory portal into their world. Now they’re in the 616-Universe and have already caused a major catastrophe AND framed this world’s Avengers for it (though that was not part of their intent). Meanwhile, A.I.M. isn’t content with merely creating an interdimensional tunnel as they’ve unleashed a new, ultra-efficient team of Adaptoids. Jonathan Hickman is juggling a LOT of balls with this storyline and this issue and it’s only been three issues. Which is not to say that it’s not a good story or even particularly hard to follow, particularly compared to his other works, but it’s impressive that we’ve gone from phasing a planet to malevolent Avengers and sentient Adaptoids in only a few issues. It’s been one helluva ride, though, and throughout it Hickman has kept his massive cast, many of of whom are either new characters or new takes on old ones, distinct and his plotline clear. We are still seeing an amazing marriage of sci-fi and superhero unfold on every page.

Salvador Larroca transitioned beautifully onto this title two issues ago and it’s been a wondrous move with his smooth, elegant line work beautifully framing and highlighting every panel. He was a massive part of what made Matt Fraction’sIron Man run so memorable, so I hope he’s putting down some roots on this title as he IS used to putting out consistently great work at a consistently great pace. There are all sorts of little things that he changes about the Other Avengers, and it’s not just costume details (they’re all reminiscent of approximately the 70s-era heroes), but how their faces contort and their reactions to stimuli that should be familiar. Frank Martin’s colors bring out all these details gorgeously, rendering conversation and action with equal verve and vigor.

The Bad

I actually missed last issue without realizing it and that painted, in stark reality, exactly HOW unapproachable this series is from the outside. There’s a recap page, but it’s just isolated panels from previous issues with no explanation more than what those provided and it is, quite frankly, not sufficient. I would say beginning at the start of the arc would be sufficient, though, not necessarily from issue 1.

The Verdict

Hickman is continuing to tell some of the most elegantly odd comics in Marvel and across the medium itself. Every time a new issue of one of his books comes out, it further proves that these characters aren’t too old to learn some new tricks and putting established characters into strange, new situations can still be incredibly fun. For anyone who thinks comics have run out of ideas, show them to Hickman’s Avengers run.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

User Lists: 0

@undeadpool: Remember this Corey? "Having my nails done." Lmao, I was dying laughing when I read Iron Man said that. This was definitely a good issue. By the way, I don't think those recaps ever help.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I do agree that this is one book you really need to be paying attention to everything to fully understand the story.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By micah007123

Love this

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Maddpanda531

@iceslick: Dude, I absolutely loved that bit.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These Avengers are so evil they're basically the Crime Syndicate versions. What do you call them? The Destroyers? The Devengers? Lol......love these "old' versions being here, can't wait for them to duke it out with our boys.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this just me or adaptoids on last page looks like OMACs? This Lords of Avenge are also strangely familiar, lol)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

How do they think of this stuff?

No Caption Provided

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really sweet issue.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not even sure I understand what I read

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
    brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This title is a damn mess. I still find myself reading it monthly and almost always having no clue what happened in the end. New Avengers is even worse about this, of course. Avengers World right now is actually the more fun, varied, and most actually UNDERSTANDABLE. I feel like it should be the main Avengers book.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've tried jumping on this series three separate times now and decided I just don't enjoy it. There were some funny bits, sure, but most of this just read as nonsense to me. Really feel like I wasted $4.

Somehow, for me, Hickman knocks it out of the park on New Avengers and Infinity, but this book is just awful.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EnigmaLantern

I've been hearing great things about this title, considering picking it up from issue 1 of Rogue Planet. I was wondering though, does this title link in with other Avenger, or even non-Avenger, titles or can I just collect this and understand the whole story?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@arturocalakayvee: It was a very clever twist I found, as they marketed it as being "The All-New Avengers" from the past rather than evil parallel Avengers.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@arturocalakayvee: It was a very clever twist I found, as they marketed it as being "The All-New Avengers" from the past rather than evil parallel Avengers.

As much as I would have loved seeing the original Avengers I think this new twist is better.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Thank god I dropped this after 3 issues.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GrenadeFlow

@dondave said:

I'm not even sure I understand what I read

How I felt after I read it.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

That's a shame, because the fifth issue of this series was really good. Everything after that is dreck, but #5 with Smasher's origin was great.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

That's a shame, because the fifth issue of this series was really good. Everything after that is dreck, but #5 with Smasher's origin was great.

I just can't get into any Avengers comics

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@saren said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

You try New Avengers? I think it's somewhat high concept like Avengers, but manages to be less convoluted and more engaging.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh said:

@saren said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

You try New Avengers? I think it's somewhat high concept like Avengers, but manages to be less convoluted and more engaging.

Tried it. Just boring.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.