undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

It’s my concerted opinion that filler issues aren’t inherently bad, but should still be relevant and entertaining, and Jonathan Hickman seems to also hold this view. After an expectations-shattering Infinity, Avengers #22 is much more focused on letting us take a look at some of the interpersonal drama taking place behind the scenes in the wake of the battle with the Builders, as well as the preparations to take back Earth. There are some intriguing developments from some of the newest B-tiers who’ve been glimpsed in the background of this expansive event, most notably Smasher, Sunspot and Cannonball. By the end, I’m personally salivating to see the Avengers (et al) make their triumphant return to Earth.

Leinil Yu continues to be an absolute force on the pencils of this title, showing readers an incredible level of versatility. I’ve said before how he’s amazing on more grounded titles where his brand of jagged, sketchy lines show a kind of grit and nuance, but between Secret Invasion and this, it’s clear that he can do cosmic just as well as he can do street-level. Some of that credit must also go to the the thick, defined inks of Gerry Alanguilan and the rich, dark colors of Sunny Gho and David Curiel, giving those pencils incredible verve and definition.

The Bad

There are a few parts of this story that jump forward a little too jarringly. A scene on Titan specifically where a forward team takes out a small cadre of Thanos’ minions, but the methodology behind their attack leaps from one panel to the next, giving a great sense of speed and surprise, but basically no context as to what actually just happened. I’m also always happy to see some of the lesser known heroes take center stage, the problem with them being in their all-new, all-cosmic powers is that they’re not immediately recognizable and they’re never identified outside of the chart at the beginning fo this issue, which is helpful, but there's also something to be said for not having to jump back and forth to be reminded of what characters names are. This leads to some very naturalistic dialog, but unfortunately also lacks context, particularly for some of the more personal moments.

The Verdict

This issue is probably the first that I’d say is truly “skippable,” and unfortunately, that applies to either readers of the Infinity series or Avengers (something Hickman has been great at differentiating), but that doesn’t mean it’s bad by any stretch. In fact, I’d say that it SHOULDN’T be skipped as there are some great character moments, but it’s less intrinsic to the overall plot of either title than previous issues have been. That said, if you already get the book or have four bucks to spare in your comic budget, by all means pick this one up. It may not be required reading, but it’s well worth the extra credit.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Feely average over all dropping this book after Infinity.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I enjoyed it

Praetor_fenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Praetor_fenix

Thor is potrayed amazingly, as is becoming usual in Marvel Now, Cap's characterization is also great. The art is amazing, over all i think it's a worthy issue.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Glad I decided to actually check the flow chart at the end of the book this time, or I would've read Infinity before this.

E1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A really good issue, taking some time to let us know the characters. The dialogues between Cap, Thor and Manifold were great, kind of like the one between Hyperion and Thor before Infinity. That's the kind of moments that make me love comics !

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.