Follow

Avengers vs. X-Men

Story arc »

Marvel Comics' 2012 event. As a repercussion from the events that took place in The Children's Crusade, Fear Itself, Schism, and X-Sanction, the Avengers and X-Men go to war over the return of the Phoenix Force.

Off My Mind: What Will Ignite the Battle in Avengers Vs. X-Men?

• 106 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

How many times have we seen superheroes fighting each other? It's one of the biggest comic book clichés apart from a character dying and returning. Heroes often run into each other, a big misunderstanding takes place, the heroes fight but come to their senses and team-up before the fight is finished.

The Avengers and the X-Men are the two biggest team of heroes in the Marvel Universe. While they have been at odds before, they tend to respect each other and are willing to work together.

Yeah, this is actually from an issue of X-MEN FOREVER.
    Yeah, this is actually from an issue of X-MEN FOREVER.

All of that is going to change. We've been seeing image after image pitting members from one team against those from the other. With some of the match ups being teased, you can't imagine they will end well. The big question is what exactly is big enough to cause these two teams of the biggest heroes in the Marvel Universe to fight each other?

== TEASER ==

To add more fuel to the fire, these aren't necessarily two random teams of characters. Many of them have been on both teams. We currently have Wolverine, Storm, and Beast on both teams plus Namor has been an Avenger before. This, if anything, strengthens the relationships between the two teams. Most of the heroes on both team are reasonable characters. If something comes up, it should be possible for them to at least try to talk things out.

No Caption Provided

This actually isn't the first time the two teams had a fight. In 1987, X-MEN VS. THE AVENGERS came out as a four-issue miniseries. This story dealt with some pieces of Asteroid-M (which had been destroyed) falling to Earth. Magneto was with the X-Men after his trial in front of the world court. He was still wanted as the trial hadn't fully reached it's conclusion.

No Caption Provided

As for AVENGERS VS. THE X-MEN, there are at least two things that will have them all on edge. The first is the return of Scarlet Witch. Ever since she lost control and disassembled the Avengers and nearly wiped out all the mutants on the planet, she has been seen as an enemy to both sides. The X-Men and Avengers have been trying to decide what "must be done" with her before and after her disappearance. The recent story in AVENGERS: CHILDREN'S CRUSADE has dealt with her return and will conclude prior to this event. Because she's appearing on the cover to issue #0, chances are she'll play a big role in this event.

What little information we've had (besides teasers and covers) is the return of the Phoenix Force. It's making it's way back to Earth and will be looking for a host. You can't blame everyone having bad feelings over this as when Jean Grey's essence was involved, there was still too much of a danger present and an entire star system was destroyed. The Phoenix Force is an incredible threat and if it does find a host, that host could become be the world's greatest threat.

Who is the logical choice? Hope Summers of course. Ever since Hope showed signs of being a redhead, the immediate thought was she was Jean Grey reborn. This wouldn't really make sense as she had parents, who unfortunately were killed along with several others when she was born. After Bishop decided she had to be killed because she was the cause of his miserable life (in the X-Men's future), Cable took her and they ran through time. As Cable raised her, there were moments when a certain familiar flaming bird was seen reflected in her eyes. If Hope became the host, the Avengers would likely see her as a threat and feel they need to deal with her in some manner in order to save the world.

No Caption Provided

Hope is supposed to be either a mutant messiah or the cause of the miserable future for mutants. During Second Coming when it appeared Cable sacrificed his life for her, he discovered yet another miserable future where pretty much everything was wiped out. The supposed reason for the desolate future was because Hope wasn't around to save the world. Cable discovered that the Avengers were responsible for what happened/happens to Hope.

The current X-Sanction story is dealing with Cable returning to the present while he has less than 24 hours before the techno-organic virus finally engulfs his body and kills him. He is hunting down members of the Avengers one by one in order to try to prevent the death of his "daughter." This action will lead into AVENGERS VS. X-MEN.

No Caption Provided

Will Hope become the host for the Phoenix Force? Despite seeing an image of her possibly in possession of the Phoenix power, it would be too predictable. There have been other hosts for the Phoenix Force after Jean Grey. Rachel Summers was able to have some control over it since she was Jean's daughter in another reality. Quentin Quire was briefly a host during PHOENIX: ENDSONG. In PHOENIX: WARSONG the Stepford Cuckoos got mixed up with the Force. Korvus had some control over it through the Phoenix Blade belonging to his ancestor. It's possible that Hope might be off the hook in becoming the next host.

The Phoenix Force isn't only interested in Jean or redheads. In fact, there's already been a cover reveal for NEW AVENGERS showing Iron Fist possibly getting possessed or trying to contain the Phoenix Force. Maybe to really get both the X-Men and Avengers worked up, the Phoenix Force should target Scarlet Witch as its new host. The only thing is the Phoenix Force tends to attach itself to those with telepathic abilities.

Comic readers are already up in arms over this coming event. Yet there's no denying that people are talking about what's coming up. With so many other characters becoming Avengers, this battle is including and will affect most of the Marvel Universe. It's going to be a sticky fight, especially with the Phoenix Force involved. The real curiosity is what role Scarlet Witch will play, will Hope survive and could this be the chance Scarlet Witch needs to fully redeem herself?

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ferro Vida

Iron Fist = kung fu Jesus. I hope it's him, just because of how ridiculous that would be.

maikkywin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By maikkywin

Everything is a result of Phoenix .

Thats how marvel works .

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By ColonelRunAway

Logan stole Cap & Cyclops's pop-tarts and told them each that the other did it. Then boom, war were declared.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EnSabahNurX

O_O Scarlet witch created Hope OH SNAP PLOT TWIST!!!!

I really want to know how it ends, not really interested in how it starts

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By saoakden

The phoniex force is a douche. Almost as big as a douche then the Guardians of the Universe, Jor-El on Smallville, and Odin.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Saren

Cap made a move on Scott and Logan was jelly.

marvelman2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By marvelman2099

isnt it ironic that this is the confrontation that led to punisher killing the marvel universe o.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Chaos Burn

Hope will get the phoenix force, and Avengers will want Hope

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By kidchipotle

It concludes with the Avengers and X-men killing everyone during this battle and then Scarlet Witch somehow reboots time and a mysterious pink woman, dressing in pink robes, who will later be called Pandora, tells her she is fixing the time line in which everything starts back over at #1.

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

hope is going to be on a rampage!

BatClaw89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BatClaw89

Civil War was awesome. I hated how everything went to normal after but it was good. Avengers Vs. X-men just makes no sense but I have to see whats about before I condemn  Marvels desperation.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By lorex

Whatever happens I hope that no one who is an Avenger will become a host of the phoenix force. If that happens that will be two long term major X-Men story lines perverted into an Avengers story line. The first being the mutant registration act a the center of Civil War and if an Avenger becomes host for the Phoenix Force that would be two. Whats next are the Purifiers going to expand their focus to all superhumans or is Sinister going to give up on the X-Men and go after Captain America.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By InnerVenom123

@ColonelRunAway said:

Logan stole Cap & Cyclops's pop-tarts and told them each that the other did it. Then boom, war were declared.

wowylied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wowylied

I really Hope that this new event (marvel have copyright on this word ?) is the end for Hope. I mean since second coming she made nothing except two thing : she killed cable and the schism. She is the cause of two of the worst thing that happened in the x-men since her birth. She never use her power except for some page to say "herp derp phoenix". And we all deeply know that jean grey will return in way or another. But if it is not enough now we have the return of the scarlet witch which make her even more useless to the plot. She only exist in order to have the phoenix again.

Solarflare32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Solarflare32

Mr sinister will likely attack both teams to control the pheonix force

Nosfistis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Nosfistis

Most awesome story ever! I love the stories that include long-running fan debate, like in Civil war. Really looking forward to this. My bet's on Hope to host Phoenix Force. She gets Phoenix, she goes berserk, avengers want to kill her, x-men don't and all hell breaks loose. I hope this won't be a passing moment but will have long run effects too. Cool stuff. Go X-men!

(Now all I need is a Superman VS Songoku from DC and my all my comic dreams will come true.)

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Eyz

Magneto will sneeze, Cap won't say a thing, Cyclops will say "God bless you", tension will arise, claws thrown around, blast thrown around.... and the fight of the year will start!

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Skaddix

Hope will get it eventually. I will be royally pissed if this is not resolved. X-Fans have had to deal with teasing since Messiah Complex.

TheOlympian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheOlympian

I say Hope is the daughter of Jean Grey and Scarlet Witch by way of Wanda inadvertently shaping a remaining Phoenix shard (which holds Grey's essence) into Hope. The Phoenix Force will come to claim her and she will resist. This will lead to mass destruction and the Avengers will respond. Cyclops has faith in her role as messiah and will see to it that she fulfills that role. Cap wants her detained/dead and Cyclops wants her to find her path. Wolverine will ultimately have to choose the X-Men over the Avengers (because of his love for Jean) and thus, scars from Schism will be mended. Cue cameo by Mrs. Grey-Summers. In the end, Hope joins the big happy Maximoff-Lensherr family and creates more unique mutants and demolishes the Avengers Tower, the White House, the Statue of Liberty and South America in the process...

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Wanda said magic has a price, her no more mutant spell recoiled and created hope(the remaining PF shard) who has been slowly undoing the spell and has control over those she cures.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jubilee042

Can't the phoenix force be contained by an omega level mutant only weird?

marvelman2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By marvelman2099

i dont understand this at all i havnt kept up with anything, but in the end someones controlling someone thats the way it seems with marvel -.-

marvelman2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By marvelman2099

wow i just looked and they have already done this before -.- re hashing old battles. why? cant come up with anything original anymore?

DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DXmagma

Maybe because Cable came back in time and started killing avengers?

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Skaddix

@DXmagma said:

yeah that did not help matters

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By leokearon
    @DXmagma said:

That is exactly the reason,

Cable travels back in time to stop the Avengers from going near Hope, however it is by his actions that the Avengers get interested in Hope. Therefore Cable sets in motion the very thing he is trying to stop
    LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LordRequiem

Well we can deduce that one of the deaths will be Cable then. I liked House of M, but don't want to see Scarlet Witch used as a plot device again. The phoenix force itself would be a good reason for a confrontation. I can imagine Colossonaught doesn't need a reason to fight. Cyclops wouldn't engage them unless it was absolutely necessary. What I'd love is to see Norman's new Dark Avengers actually do something and instigate this little hoo-ha covertly, and watch it unfold, but that sounds like too good a story to happen here.

rimes_roc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rimes_roc

I am deeply confused by Marvel and the Phoenix Force (again). Didn't Jean set out to find the remaining shards and didn't she become 'one with the force'? Then this storyline makes no sense to me. If someone has the answers I would appreciate being enlightened...?

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

it is going to be because beast stepped on cyclops' boots, and cyclops going hood and trying to kill him because he jumped ship and got his A card reactivated. yup, it is not going to make sense.

Watcherg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Watcherg6

How many times have we seen superheroes fighting each other? It's one of the biggest comic book clichés apart from a character dying and returning.

If it's the Hulk thats all we ever see.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Inverno

I am just gonna say this: this big "badass" crossover could just fill less than five issues and then it's over, there is no need for a whole saga. Unless the word is definitly good, i am not picking up this series sooner.

marvelman2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By marvelman2099

@Watcherg6: ya and they have already done this o.o

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By fodigg

@Ferro Vida said:

Iron Fist = kung fu Jesus. I hope it's him, just because of how ridiculous that would be.

I'm down.

And yeah, you got Phoenix on one side, Scarlet Witch on the other, the Fantastic Four have Franklin Richards, other versions of the Avengers had Sentry...all the big teams have someone who's too dangerous to live. Nobody really has the moral high ground if "phoenix" is the reason they're fighting.

BritishMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BritishMonkey

@InnerVenom123:

i was thinking on doing that

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By progenitorigin

I just hope this doesn't end up with Namor being beaten by having a killer whale flop on him.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Miss_Garrick

Iron Fist becoming the latest Phoenix avatar? Neat.

But why does the Phoenix Froce keep coming back? It posessess a host, all heck breaks loose, the host dies (usually), the Phoenix comes back, and the cycle continues. Isn't the Phoenix intelligent enough to just stop this mess, or is it addicted to Earth?

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37  Edited By Ganthetsward20

O man I really hope they play this all out really good, im getting psyched up for it and have loved the pairings they have done in advertisement! MARVEL don't let me down...or im gonna stop reading everything you put out.

notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By notoriousbcb

The Phoenix Force will wreak havoc on everything and everyone. As the earth and the universe are on the brink of extinction, the Phoenix Force will join Mr. Immortal for a caffeine fix at Starbucks, where it will reveal the last secret - Mr. Immortal will finally know how many licks it takes to get to the center of Tootsie Pop.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cafeterialoca

It's Hope Summers. Numerous times, they said that the Phoenix Force is coming to earth, and Hope Summers is the beacon that everyone fighting for.

So again, Hope Summers.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am sick of the Phoenix Force. I'm really starting to wish that they stuck with the initial concept of Jean having sun-empowered ability boosts because the PF is starting to be over used.

paulcousins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By paulcousins

Hope will be the new host for the Phoenix.

As a result the x-men have to deal with her, she kills them and the Avengers intervene, killing hope.

Cable comes back in time to save hope by killing the Avengers revealing something about the future timeline to the Avengers which makes them fight the X-Men in an attempt to avoid the timeline.

Something awesome happens...

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By laabitres

thisll b interesting but xmen all day

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AskaniSon295

I think Cyclops ate Captain America's Steak.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

That'll be all she wrote if the Phoenix Force latches onto Scarlet Witch, not to mention coming full circle considering it was with Jean for the longest time. At the very least, I think the catalyst that sparks conflict between the X-Men and Avengers centers around Hope. It just seems the obvious ploy.

sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#45  Edited By sladewilson30

Is the government still against mutants, if so, maybe that's why.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#46  Edited By pspin

Wasn't there an article a couple weeks ago about why superheroes shouldn't drink....

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#47  Edited By Outside_85

Am I the only one who's noticed the Cable isnt on any of these covers?

OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By OracleX

The Phoenix Force will come and destroy Marvel Headquarters for summoning it reek havoc on earth again instead of destroying other galaxies that a far more sophisticated than that in which earth exists.

Captain_Gunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Captain_Gunky

@ColonelRunAway: I hope it is something like that. That would be awesome.

Captain_Gunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Captain_Gunky

I hope it's just a huge misunderstanding. Like the Avengers think Wolverine is working with Phoenix, but he's actually just taking online classes at the University of Phoenix.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.