Follow

Avengers vs. X-Men

Story arc »

Marvel Comics' 2012 event. As a repercussion from the events that took place in The Children's Crusade, Fear Itself, Schism, and X-Sanction, the Avengers and X-Men go to war over the return of the Phoenix Force.

Off My Mind: Throwing the First Punch in AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #1

• 172 results
    x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By x_29

Cyclops: Always starting some s@#$

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By KRYPTON

I remember when Cyclops said that entire witch burning thing. THat was funny. Witch burning, jeez that is so cliche.

Aarsilade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By Aarsilade

Cap was right. Cyclops, and the X-Men in general, have gone a bit off the rails in their desperation to "restore" the mutant race. The Phoenix Force has them slipping into Brotherhood/Hellfire Club methods. They need to be taken down, and their followers need to realize they've been supporting villains.

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Sammo21

@ApatheticAvenger: yeah, but no one but Cap knew about that...he probably knew Scott is a hothead with a history of making huge makes so it was his backup. Also, with his military training...why wouldn't he have backup ready.

Rasarima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Rasarima

why ciclops blast pushed cap backwards? this makes o sense....but hey, f$%# that

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By HolySerpent

I won't be reading this

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By Miss_Garrick

Cyclops sucks. Nuff Said.

mettlekm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mettlekm

@ThanosIsMad said:

The issue was just one big excuse to have two of Marvel's premiere teams duke it out, and a weak one at that. There were several dozen other ways this could've played out. Wolverine's current turbulent relationship with Cyclops could've sparked an argument between the two and had that devolve into Cyclops purposely attacking Cap or another Avenger to set things off.

But I digress, the event is called Avengers vs X-Men, so they had to have the two fight in the first issue for it to live up to its name.

So you're saying an "argument" would have been much stronger excuse to duke it out?

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By KEROGA

DOES THIS BOOK COME OUT MONTHLY OR WEEKLY?????

remogunz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By remogunz

@Osiris1428 said:

When King Leonidos (300) told the messengers "THIS. IS. SPARTA!!!", and kicked that guy into the pit, everyone thought it was cool. When Cyclops blasts Cap for doing the same thing the messengers did; come unannounced, veiled threats, insisting they (The Avengers) came with some sort of authority they should recognized and respect, it should be just as understood. This is 300 hundred with mutants. BOO-YA!!!

Thats a great point because Cyclops is doing the same thing and I like it!!!

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By karrob

I see it this way legally Hope hadn't committed any crimes. Why should Cyclops agree to let the Avengers take his "granddaughter" off their island home? Cap had good intentions but he approached the situation wrong. He should have attempted TP contact with Cyclops prior to coming to the island. Any who lets see how the X-Men get screwed with this one.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#62  Edited By RedOwl_1

@KEROGA said:

DOES THIS BOOK COME OUT MONTHLY OR WEEKLY?????

EVERY 15 DAYS, WHY!? (LOL I can see you're exited but try to keep calm)

@DocFatalis said:

@Mokey said:

Oh, I'm sure it'll be pretty forgettable.

I tend to agree.

that would have been such a nice surprise, if all of a sudden, both teams had been depicted acting reasonable like: "Cyke:Woah, the entire solar system's at threat, you sure?

Cap: Well, almost, but there's plenty of things we can try without harming hope the least, and I guarantee that's what we'll try to do.

Cyke: Ok, cool. You know we've got pretty good scientists and telepaths here as well, so maybe they could lend you a hand and we could find a joint solution.

Cap: Nice of you dude, I appreciate. I'm going to call Richards too, this guy knows about cosmic threats.

Cyke: Sure, sure, wanna have coffee, beer or something? Mi casa tu casa pal, feel free to get stuff out of the fridge while we're working on this together.

Cap: Thanks Cyke, I'm sure we'll find something in no time, Banner just textmessaged me and he'll be joining in this afternoon."

Two days later, problem solved with zero destruction and and vivid friendship between the two teams. Now we can see awesome trainings in the danger room with the red Hulk giving Spidey special throws and Rogue getting a crush on DD.

But of course it wouldn't look as uselessly spectacular as an incredibly unlikely stupid war between two teams full of wise and experienced people and who so far have almost been all-time allies.

LMAO! Yeah, That would be the expected for reasonable superheros (or even people without powers will act like that, kindly taking in count they loong friendly relationship) but Cyclops is a b*tch and Captain didn't help arriving almost screaming "Dude I don't care a f*** who you are, of if I'm invading private property, we come for the girl, you want it or not"

So: B*tch + Mean Guy= WAR

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63  Edited By Suprman

One of the reasons I'm with Cap and The Avengers in this fight is because Cyclops is being ridiculous. The last time the Phoenix Force came to Earth in Phoenix Endsong, it possessed Jean's Dead body and Scott was ready to KILL Jean again to protect Earth. Jean sacrificed herself to stop this thing and it didn't work, it has already caused Scott so much pain and loss, that it makes me think He should be fighting with the Avengers over the right to fight this thing.

This is how I thought the story should have started. Nova comes to earth, The Avengers realize that the Phoenix Force is coming to Earth and possibly coming for Hope. Cap goes to talk to Cyclops and when Scott realizes that it's coming for Hope, he goes berserk and takes it out on Cap, saying that the Phoenix Force is his responsibility and His alone. Cap offers his help but Cyclops blasts him out of the way. Now Cyclops is leading half of the X-men in a fight against the Phoenix Force while the other half is fighting against the Avengers. Eventually Cap leads a few of the Avengers to help Cyclops only for Cyclops to fight the Avengers because his anger at the Avengers for sitting on the Sidelines during the mutant debates and desperation to take revenge on the Phoenix Force is blinding him to the realization that the Phoenix is too powerful and he needs the help.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @jcbart:  

@Enyalios: I wholeheartedly agree.

Captain America turned up on Utopia sporting the hellicarrier and a whole lot of Avengers and ordered a small girl be taken into custody for crimes that she hasn't committed yet. He didn't say, "Look, we can band the smartest minds on the planet to help find a solution." He didn't say, "I know you've dealt with the Phoenix Force more times than I can imagine and you know what you're doing but I think you need our help this time." No. He came and said, "We're taking the child. Whether or not you or she likes it, and we'll cut down any one of your mutants who disagrees."

Captain America was acting like a totalitarian jerk. Where were the Avengers after Genosha was obliterated? Where were the Avengers when one of 'their own' wiped out 90% of the mutant population (since Wanda's a mutant I guess it's a mutant problem and thus nothing to do with them)? They can't pick and choose when they want to interfere with mutants. They aren't the law. 

Are you kidding me??  First of All Captain America wanted to handle the whole thing diplomatically. he said he had to TALK to Cyclops, however Wolverine said Scott wouldn't listen, so Cap brought the Hellicarrier /just in case/ he was never planning on using it, hence it being cloaked and out of sight at the time. He wanted to talk to Cyke, man to man, and he wasn't going to IMPRISON Hope, he was going to take her to a safe location so the phoenix wouldn't find her, or at least not right away. Second Cyclops has no right to ''decide'' what to do with the Phoenix force, it isn't "just a mutant problem." the Phoenix destroys planets, it can destroy Earth, you think ANYONE would just sit back and let Cyclops play with it by himself? when the world's in danger, the Avengers intervene, period. And dont get me started on Cyclops and his idiocy. "oh I know the Phoenix force is manevolent, and can't be controlled...but i'mma try anyway and risk my granddaughter's (who I claim to love) life and sanity as well as the safety of the world on a long shot. Yeah, good leadership skill Cyke...It's like me bringing back Hitler to lead my army. "Oh sure he's killed millions in the past, but who knows, maybe /this time/ he can be a force for good!. 

Cyclops threw the first stone, and he should be dealt with.
    ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By ClawFist

You know what? If a guy dressed in a flag and a shield came to my front door demanding my granddaughter, my next move would be a nod, grab my steel baseball bat, and knock his head off his friggin shoulders, plain and simple.

MrSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By MrSlayer

I hope this crossover ends on a high note. It seems the last couple major Marvel crossovers have started strong then dropped dead before the final arc. Marvel needs this to be excellent from top to bottom and they know it.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Mutant God

what did Rogers do about the Scarlet Witch

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By churrific

I miss Jim Lee's Cyke with yellow tights/visor and flowing hair. Lol just a random thought.

joku2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By joku2002

@ClawFist said:

You know what? If a guy dressed in a flag and a shield came to my front door demanding my granddaughter, my next move would be a nod, grab my steel baseball bat, and knock his head off his friggin shoulders, plain and simple.

as much as I am a huge Cap and spidey fan. I agree. SCREW CAP and SCREW THE AVENGERS. That cocky attitude of theirs needs to get some X-men brand clobbering if you ask me.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By feargalr

Cap was, as usual, being a dick, Cyke was right to blast him.

mettlekm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By mettlekm

@The Stegman: so you'd let the government take your grandkid? the fact that Cap had the hellicarrier with him means that he was willing to "talk" only to extent Cyclops agreed with him. It's like the repo man coming to "discuss" the taking of your car, with a tow truck & shotgun in hand. If you weren't standing in front of the car, he'd have just taken it without your looking. Either way, decision was made, the discussion is at best a courtesy, but more like a necessary evil.

arcano_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By arcano_19

@IronHerc: i agree with you on cyclops is crazy, since the apokalips thing, but well the phoenix do good things por the universe no for the inhabitants

greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By greeneagle

@Lvenger said:

The entire world's at stake. Cap had every right to come in with back up. He probably knew civilly asking Scott to hand over the mutant messiah wouldn't work but he still wanted to give it a go. And whilst technically Cyclops' response is just, the fact it comes at a time when the Phoenix force is coming to Earth doesn't make it the best one.

Most sensible comment so far. Cyclops is being pretty selfish right now.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#74  Edited By Cafeterialoca

All I can say is, AvX just annoys me with it's bias.

Avengers - Save civilians and a crashing plane. Get most panel time.

X-Men - Introduce them with their leader kicking an underage girl.

Gee, I wonder who the bad guys are.

airbound_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#75  Edited By airbound_dude

everyone is looking at hope as the next phoenix, but we should be looking at scarlet witch. i think she will be the key of this and not hope as everyone thinks. at least that's what i think

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @mettlekm:  

@The Stegman : so you'd let the government take your grandkid? the fact that Cap had the hellicarrier with him means that he was willing to "talk" only to extent Cyclops agreed with him. It's like the repo man coming to "discuss" the taking of your car, with a tow truck & shotgun in hand. If you weren't standing in front of the car, he'd have just taken it without your looking. Either way, decision was made, the discussion is at best a courtesy, but more like a necessary evil. 

It's not like cap is sending Hope to an internment camp, he's trying to protect her by keeping her away from the Phoenix. Cyclops is the one putting his granddaughter in danger by forcing her (whether she wants to or not) to be the host of a all powerful, manevolent creature who has proven in the past to drive it's hosts insane just for his own wants, yeah, Cyke TOTALLY loves her... 

As for the hellicarrier, can you really blame him? Wolverine said that Cyke wouldn't go for it, so Cap brought insurance, we're not talking about a repossession of a car, we're talking about a potential world destroying force, what's more important, a slim chance that the phoenix could somehow save the mutants, or the entire planet itself?
    greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By greeneagle

@jcbart said:

@Enyalios: I wholeheartedly agree.

Captain America turned up on Utopia sporting the hellicarrier and a whole lot of Avengers and ordered a small girl be taken into custody for crimes that she hasn't committed yet. He didn't say, "Look, we can band the smartest minds on the planet to help find a solution." He didn't say, "I know you've dealt with the Phoenix Force more times than I can imagine and you know what you're doing but I think you need our help this time." No. He came and said, "We're taking the child. Whether or not you or she likes it, and we'll cut down any one of your mutants who disagrees."

Captain America was acting like a totalitarian jerk. Where were the Avengers after Genosha was obliterated? Where were the Avengers when one of 'their own' wiped out 90% of the mutant population (since Wanda's a mutant I guess it's a mutant problem and thus nothing to do with them)? They can't pick and choose when they want to interfere with mutants. They aren't the law.

Cap said protective custody

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By mattwing87

@churrific said:

I miss Jim Lee's Cyke with yellow tights/visor and flowing hair. Lol just a random thought.

Please say you're a girl :P

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#79  Edited By Gambit1024
    @dondasch said:

Main plot of Avengers vs X Men

Cyclops: Get the hell off my island.

Captain American: No, you.

Cyclops: No, you !

Hilarity ensues, followed quickly by realization of utter crap, which lasts several issues.

Lmfao.  

AvX- Scott and Steve's Merry Shenanigans. 
    Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

As they "Sh!t Got Real"

jcj145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By jcj145

@Osiris1428 said:

When King Leonidos (300) told the messengers "THIS. IS. SPARTA!!!", and kicked that guy into the pit, everyone thought it was cool. When Cyclops blasts Cap for doing the same thing the messengers did; come unannounced, veiled threats, insisting they (The Avengers) came with some sort of authority they should recognized and respect, it should be just as understood. This is 300 hundred with mutants. BOO-YA!!!

THIS.

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By VampireSelektor

@The Stegman: How do you protect someone from the Phoenix?

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#83  Edited By lorex

Cyclops sees it as his duty to protect all mutants, so Captain America coming in all high and mighty saying he respects the X-Men and then telling him this is not a negotiation and that Hope is coming with him. Cyclops is not being a jerk but doing what he thinks is right to protect mutants. This is poor writing at its best I would have hoped they would have tried to be somewhat creative here but I guess not.

EvanTheMexiJew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#84  Edited By EvanTheMexiJew

I've gotta feeling that this'll be the next "Han shot first"

Ramier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Ramier

REALLY REALLY? Most of the comments here are bashing cyclops for being hostile to Captain America and accusing saying he threw the first punch. This event is bigger then this first issue. People forget to point out that cyclops talked about how the avengers never cared for the mutant race. How when regular people are at risk they are quick to get involved so he knew they were gonna come for Hope. The xmen always helped out everybody and all threats no matter who is at risk, as soon as cyclops started to put the mutants first people started to say he is a d**k. Lets just be honest the nobody likes mutants and don't care for them, If hope had to die to save the world the cap would do it in a heartbeat. I don't understand why Cap couldn't just "figure out together" on Utopia rather then take her away from her home. If this truly was mutant problem Cap wouldn't give a rats ass about that! Cyclops is not perfect but he's right on this one.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Cap wants Hope then the Witch has to burn first. It's plain and simple and the ultimatinum I wouldve give him

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#87  Edited By Lvenger

@greeneagle: Thanks. This whole event doesn't make any sense though. Just another attempt by Marvel to get more money.

RedVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By RedVelvet

to me it's just a repeat of Civil War except it's Cap and Cycolps instead of Cap and Tony. I really wish Marvel would get some new ideas

fnh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By fnh

I'm surprise that there are so many people on Cyclops' side. Cyclops is completely in the wrong on this. Not only did he throw the first punch, he was being very hostile to Cap and turned down Cap's invitation for assistance. Cap said "we" in the above image stating that he wanted their help and what does Cyclops do? He completely rejects it. And his cry about Avengers never caring when mutants are in trouble? Will guess what, whenever the Avengers try to help they get the "it's a mutant issue, we'll deal with it so back off" line. Heck, it's pretty much the first thing that Cyclops says to him in this very issue. When Caps says "respecting you", that's what he means. He backs off when it comes to mutant issues because that's what Cyclops want. Also, nobody has ask Hope what she wants and thanks to Cyclops, Cap doesn't even get a chance to ask.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By bladewolf

I used to think Cyclops was boring, but after reading this issue I really like this bolder, brasher persona for him. He's FINALLY become an interesting character!

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#91  Edited By Theodore

This plan to control the Phoenix will come back to bite Cyclops in the ass

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#92  Edited By Ganthetsward20

I haven't read any of these issues in relation to this arc but looking at some of the pictures I end up thinking about the West Side Story All we're missing is some tragic love story amiss all the fighting. Maybe thats what Iron Fist and Hope are. I dont know. But in regards to: "who threw the first punch" I always took that in a physical mind set and that would be Cyclops. Aside from all of that. I would really trust the Avengers over the X-men. They always seem to have their shit together in times of the earths destruction. The X-men are capable but I've always seen them as back up help. The second string of heroes to come in and help if the vast amount of members in the Avengers cant get the job done. Am I wrong to think that?

I've seen the X-men in many forms help save their own kind from mutant threats and save the people of earth from mutant related threats. But I cant think of time they saved earth. I'm still fairly new to comics so I might be way off on this. So someone tell me of a time they saved everyone from utter destruction and if that tally count is bigger then the Avengers's

jcbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By jcbart

@The Stegman: There was sweet bugger all diplomacy. You said it yourself, he brought the helicarrier packed with Avengers 'just in case' there was a situation. Aka just in case Scott said no. That is not diplomacy. That is Cap being a dictator. He was saying, "I'm taking Hope. You say no, I unload Hell upon your little island." I mean come on, there are children on that island, and Cap is okay unleashing every other superhero to wreak havoc on their home? If that isn't the epitome of irresponsible then I don't know what is. Cyclops has trained the children to fight, but if Cap's so high-and-mighty, he should be acting reasonable. Not like this. There was no other option with his 'offer'. Even Emma could sense that in his thoughts. He set foot on the island to forcibly take Hope (again, as indicated by all those Avengers).

The X-Men have dealt with the Phoenix Force countless times, and have the Avengers ever been concerned with planetary obliteration on any of those occasions? Have they pussy foot. So why now? I mean, Cable warned them that if they did this, it would have drastic ramifications, and yet Captain America still decided to take the non-diplomatic option. Why did he need to take her? Why couldn't they have all worked together using Utopia as a base? Why did he have to take her away? He can't hide her from the Phoenix Force. And if he thinks he can, well.. that's evidence enough to prove that Cap has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to the Phoenix Force.

Whether Cyclops is right or wrong in wanting to attempt to get the Phoenix Force to bring back the mutant race from the brink of extinction is completely irrelevant. This is about why Captain America handled the situation in the worst possible way and how he could have done it right.

IronHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#94  Edited By IronHerc

@fnh said:

I'm surprise that there are so many people on Cyclops' side. Cyclops is completely in the wrong on this. Not only did he throw the first punch, he was being very hostile to Cap and turned down Cap's invitation for assistance. Cap said "we" in the above image stating that he wanted their help and what does Cyclops do? He completely rejects it. And his cry about Avengers never caring when mutants are in trouble? Will guess what, whenever the Avengers try to help they get the "it's a mutant issue, we'll deal with it so back off" line. Heck, it's pretty much the first thing that Cyclops says to him in this very issue. When Caps says "respecting you", that's what he means. He backs off when it comes to mutant issues because that's what Cyclops want. Also, nobody has ask Hope what she wants and thanks to Cyclops, Cap doesn't even get a chance to ask.

Couldn't say it in better words my friend, making 99.9% complains from cyclops fans irrelevant ^__^

Aviont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Aviont

@jcbart said:

@The Stegman: There was sweet bugger all diplomacy. You said it yourself, he brought the helicarrier packed with Avengers 'just in case' there was a situation. Aka just in case Scott said no. That is not diplomacy. That is Cap being a dictator. He was saying, "I'm taking Hope. You say no, I unload Hell upon your little island." I mean come on, there are children on that island, and Cap is okay unleashing every other superhero to wreak havoc on their home? If that isn't the epitome of irresponsible then I don't know what is. Cyclops has trained the children to fight, but if Cap's so high-and-mighty, he should be acting reasonable. Not like this. There was no other option with his 'offer'. Even Emma could sense that in his thoughts. He set foot on the island to forcibly take Hope (again, as indicated by all those Avengers).

The X-Men have dealt with the Phoenix Force countless times, and have the Avengers ever been concerned with planetary obliteration on any of those occasions? Have they pussy foot. So why now? I mean, Cable warned them that if they did this, it would have drastic ramifications, and yet Captain America still decided to take the non-diplomatic option. Why did he need to take her? Why couldn't they have all worked together using Utopia as a base? Why did he have to take her away? He can't hide her from the Phoenix Force. And if he thinks he can, well.. that's evidence enough to prove that Cap has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to the Phoenix Force.

Whether Cyclops is right or wrong in wanting to attempt to get the Phoenix Force to bring back the mutant race from the brink of extinction is completely irrelevant. This is about why Captain America handled the situation in the worst possible way and how he could have done it right.

this x1,000,000!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Cyclops is looking out for mutantkinds best interests, but is so personally affected by anything involving the Phoenix his perspective is tainted at the least

- Captain America is looking out for everyone's best interest and has no personal conflict to get in the way.

- The lead up to this event is a joke, the idea the X-Men would just watch Scott pick a fight with the Avengers in the middle of a world crisis and shrug is a joke.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Daycrawler

@IronHerc said:

@fnh said:

Couldn't say it in better words my friend, making 99.9% complains from cyclops fans irrelevant ^__^

Bollocks. Firstly 'invitation' implies there's a choice. There clearly wasn't given Cap came to Utopia mob-handed ready for a fight if his 'invitation' was turned down. That's not an invitation it's a thinly disguised ultimatum. Say yes and we're friends, say no and I hit you repeatedly until you say yes. Not exactly friendly, diplomatic or 'respectful'. He's there to effectively take a young girl off foreign soil by force if Cyclops says no.

Big deal if Cap said "we", doesn't mean that he genuinely wanted their help. "We" can mean 'you and I together', or 'We, the Avengers'. Given Caps actions I take it to mean the latter. If he had genuinely wanted the X-Men's help then he'd wouldn't have held an impromptu meeting on a beach for such an important matter and have his first line be about needing to take Hope into protective custody. Not exactly a neutral, non-confrontational opener. Cap has a game plan which is get Hope at any costs because he thinks he know best. "If the mutants help us, great, if not then screw them." His approach should have been more like, okay Hope is the likely host (bearing in mind Cap has only Logan's say-so on this at this point), so we need to figure out a plan. Who has the most knowledge and experience with the Phoenix? Mutants. Therefore lets approach this with a certain degree of empathy and tactfulness cos it would be extremely good and useful to have the X-Men on board. Turning up on the beach, provocatively demanding to take Hope, potential mutant messiah, is stupid and a guaranteed route to conflict. Cap represents the US government and how many times have they persecuted and killed mutants? Of course Cyclops, and a lot of other X-Men, are going to take a dim view on a US representative landing unannounced on their independent island and saying gimme your potential savior, we know best, she'll be in 'protective' custody (like that actually means anything where the Phoenix is concerned!).

Also, the whole "respect" line is a crock of poop. Sure Cyclops says it's a mutant problem and they'll handle it, but that's because they've become accustomed to doing so. They Avengers have only really ever tried to help after one of their own screwed over the mutant race (guilt anyone?), by which time it was pretty much a meaningless gesture. Sure, Cyclops reasoning for saying this is suspect to say the least, but Caps approach was heavy-handed, ill-conceived and provocative. Any idiot can work out that saying were here to take one of your people as an approach to diplomacy and working in a spirit of respect, trust and cooperation is never going to work.

Cyke threw the first physical punch, but Cap 'threw' the first tactical punch. And fluffed it. Cyclops is blinded by his belief in Hope and saving the mutant race, true. But Cap is blinded by his unshakeable belief that he knows best and people should jump when he says jump. He wants to save the planet, but his first act is to enrage the very people that would be hugely useful in helping by charging in like a moron.

mettlekm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By mettlekm

@The Stegman: I disagree! If you're Cyke you wouldn't let him take your grandkid period. So you're gonna like Cap take your grandkid as opposed to you protecting her yourself with your team?

Cap was their to do things on his terms, not to discuss. You originally said he was just their to handle things diplomatically but now you say the reason he brought the hellicarrier was in case "Cyke wouldn't go for it". So he wasn't just their to talk, which is the point! If cyclops didn't agree with Cap what was going to happen? The same thing that did, except Cyclops got in the first shot.

You do bring up a great point. The greater good of everyone to keep phoenix force away, does that outway the needs of the few (or 1 - thanks Spock!). If that were my grandkid or someone i loved, i wouldn't let capitain america have the ultimate decision.

Should be a good series. Already has us debating, Stegman!

mtrakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By mtrakos

When Steve Rogers tells you something you do it. I'm not sure with what each team is staffed in issue 1 how the x-men walk away from this into issue 2. xmen vs avengers and SHIELD? Adios xmen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

Since Bendis is writing obviously Avengers will win...not to mention all the teasers were of Avengers beating down on X Men.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.