Follow

Avengers vs. X-Men

Story arc »

Marvel Comics' 2012 event. As a repercussion from the events that took place in The Children's Crusade, Fear Itself, Schism, and X-Sanction, the Avengers and X-Men go to war over the return of the Phoenix Force.

Off My Mind: Throwing the First Punch in AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #1

• 172 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

We often see superheroes fight other superheroes. Usually it's over a giant misunderstanding. One of the heroes could be new or unknown to the other. One of the heroes could be in a desperate situation and their actions could be misunderstood by the other. The fighting between them never really escalates too far. They usually come to their senses or some sort of understanding and end up working together to fight the common threat. That isn't the case in AVENGERS VS. X-MEN.

While mutant issues have usually been left to the X-Men, the Avengers have been seen fighting alongside the X-Men a bit recently. There has been a mutual level of respect between the two hero teams in the Marvel Universe. There are even a few heroes that are simultaneously members of both teams.

No Caption Provided

Yet the massive battle we've been seeing teasers for has just begun. With everything at stake, it's not going to simply be a misunderstanding. Sides are being chosen among the heroes and readers. As we look at the events of the first issue of AVENGERS VS. X-MEN, who really threw the first punch that has started this fight? (There will be some minor spoilers to AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #1 below).

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

The Avengers and the X-Men are't strangers. They fight against evil forces many times. When San Francisco had a giant dome placed over it, trapping several members of the X-Men along with city residents, the Avengers showed up to help. When the Avengers were made aware of a strange occurrence in Montana (Tabula Rasa), the X-Men were there to deal with the problem. Most recently, when several alien threats escaped SWORD's custody and began attacking Earth, the two teams had to fight side-by-side in order to deal with them.

But it hasn't always been a cheerful relationship. We also recently saw some fighting over the fate of Scarlet Witch during AVENGERS: THE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE. Lines were drawn in the sand as Cyclops felt she should be held accountable for her actions against mutants and Captain America felt he was an Avengers and they would deal with her.

No Caption Provided

What brings the two teams to blows this time is the Phoenix Force. When a member of the Nova Corps arrives on Earth with a warning, residual energies belonging to the entity are detected. The Phoenix Force wants a new host. With it headed towards Earth, that would likely result in the entire planet and solar system being wiped out in its wake. Upon consulting with Wolverine, it was mentioned that Hope Summers, the mutant messiah, would be the most likely host-target.

Captain America arrived on Utopia (with the Avengers as back up, of course) and basically demanded Hope be turned over to them. Cyclops' response was a face full of optic blast.

No Caption Provided

Physically, Cyclops struck the first blow. Captain America was there to discuss things. He didn't come in swinging but Cyclops simply lashed out without trying to have a civil conversation.

Then again, Captain America arrived unannounced at their sanctuary and demanded they turn over a mutant child into their custody. After the blow was struck, we saw Cap was with a helicarrier full of Avengers. Just by showing up he made his intentions clear (and Emma's telepathy confirmed it). Captain America wasn't planning on leaving the island without Hope.

So who really threw the first punch?

No Caption Provided

This obviously is open to debate. Cyclops told Cap to "get the hell off [his] island" and blasted him. Cap came in with an army of superheroes and informed Cyclops he wasn't asking to be able to take Hope into protective custody. Both leaders made their positions clear. Cyclops may have thrown the first physical blow but Cap made the first move by arriving with demands and not looking for a discussion due to the importance of getting Hope before the Phoenix Force arrived.

Because both parties could be assigned the blame of throwing the first punch, perhaps we should focus on who will throw the final punch...

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ThanosIsMad

The issue was just one big excuse to have two of Marvel's premiere teams duke it out, and a weak one at that. There were several dozen other ways this could've played out. Wolverine's current turbulent relationship with Cyclops could've sparked an argument between the two and had that devolve into Cyclops purposely attacking Cap or another Avenger to set things off.

But I digress, the event is called Avengers vs X-Men, so they had to have the two fight in the first issue for it to live up to its name.

lightfright12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By lightfright12

scott seems to be bringing together the aspects of both Xavier and Magneto into his character. When did he star becoming such a hardass/badass?

Novaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Novaar

Totally agree with . The comic did what it said on the tin but, in my own personal opinion, it did it in a cheap way. Both Cap and Cyclops are experienced leaders and intelligent men. Even with the pressures of the Phoenix Force and Hope they come to blows far too easily. I've said it before the fact that the mag had a sub-title of 'Round 1' sets the tone for what it is - not grand storytelling, just a blow out.

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Osiris1428

I side with Cyclops on this, right or wrong. I never thought I would say that....oh, yeah I did say that during the whole "Schism" thing. This is the Cyclops I wish that was on the X-Men movies.

perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By perry_411

Let thanosismad be the only word spoken on this topic

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#6  Edited By EganTheVile1

If I were to call fault to this I would start with the art, it looks strong and weak from one frame to the next, The story itself is poor, likewise the artists cant even seem to agree on who is an X-Man and who is an Avenger, the variant covers of #1 show Wolverine as an Avenger on one cover, which he is having fallen out with Cyclops, and fighting Captain America on another, sensationalism covers capturing the more popular characters in combat is nothing new, just hate when it is a royal screw up. I'll take my Avengers Vs X-Men as the 1980's trial of Magneto. Thanks but no thanks Marvel, could have been awesome, fell short.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

We all know Fantomex will inevitably solo at some point.

Avatar image for apatheticavenger
    ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -3

#8  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@lightfright12 said:

scott seems to be bringing together the aspects of both Xavier and Magneto into his character. When did he star becoming such a hardass/badass?

Pretty much once he took command of the X-Men during Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men. After Messiah Complex, he become progressively more militant, melding Xavier's teaching with Magneto's attitude.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By ragdollpurps

@Illuminatus said:

Solo his way into my...

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
    @ragdollpurps said:

@Illuminatus said:

Solo his way into my...

Coinpurse?
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By TheMess1428

Cyclops did it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    After reading it, I can say Cyclops is an idiot. At least Cap  TRIED to be civil about it. 
    ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ragdollpurps

@Illuminatus said:

Coinpurse?

Yes. :3

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Namor1987

Cyclops is a smucking prick. I hope he dies & hope Cable goes nuts & kills off both teams. What would happen if the Phoenix swerved & decided to use Cykes as its host & then just kill him off.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Loeb was writing this whole event and Rulk took on all of Utopia by himself? Grand storytelling, indeed.

ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@ragdollpurps said:

@Illuminatus said:

Coinpurse?

No Caption Provided
    IronHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#17  Edited By IronHerc

cyclops started it and we all know it. I'm sorry people but willingly wanting the giant genocidal cosmic fire bird arrive back on earth so it will take over a girl he obsessively is trying to make into a messiah for his race is just moronic (just look how he treats her during training in avx1). I haven't read x-men that much in my life but i don't recall a time where the phoenix actually helped a special group of people in a planet to regain their lost numbers.......usually it just wipes out the entire planet (and galaxies.....). Because the good old cap and wolverine know how much cyclops has gotten insane over the past years, it's obvious that he wasn't going to let the avengers get the girl to protect her from the phoenix while trying to stop it. Maybe I'm the only one seeing this but risking the lives of everyone in the planet for a crazy idea of using this power that's been proven to be uncontrollable to bring back the mutants from extinction is not a simple mistake....this is just plain lunacy and evil for trying to force it on a young girl no less. Captain America knows what he's doing so I'm on his side.

ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

Cap had it coming showing up on Utopia with a helicarrier full of Avengers, diplomatic relations were doomed from the start. Can't really blame him though, this is all a result of Bendis' below average writing capabilities.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ragdollpurps

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@ragdollpurps said:

@Illuminatus said:

Coinpurse?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Osiris1428

When King Leonidos (300) told the messengers "THIS. IS. SPARTA!!!", and kicked that guy into the pit, everyone thought it was cool. When Cyclops blasts Cap for doing the same thing the messengers did; come unannounced, veiled threats, insisting they (The Avengers) came with some sort of authority they should recognized and respect, it should be just as understood. This is 300 hundred with mutants. BOO-YA!!!

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
    @ragdollpurps said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@ragdollpurps said:

@Illuminatus said:

Coinpurse?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dondasch

Main plot of Avengers vs X Men

Cyclops: Get the hell off my island.

Captain American: No, you.

Cyclops: No, you !

Hilarity ensues, followed quickly by realization of utter crap, which lasts several issues.

ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@Osiris1428 said:

When King Leonidos (300) told the messengers "THIS. IS. SPARTA!!!", and kicked that guy into the pit, everyone thought it was cool. When Cyclops blasts Cap for doing the same thing the messengers did; come unannounced, veiled threats, insisting they (The Avengers) came with some sort of authority they should recognized and respect, it should be just as understood. This is 300 hundred with mutants. BOO-YA!!!

Shhh! Your argument might shatter the minds of numerous fools who can't see both sides of the situation!

In all seriousness though... THIS. IS. UTOPIA!!!

No Caption Provided
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Why doesn't Cap just call in Thor (I've come to hear that he has already returned from the clutches of death) and have him intimidate the X-Men into just handing her over?

fivestarga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fivestarga

I agree and would stand behind Cyclops. The man has led the mutants through so much, including their own exstinction during Second coming that he has the right to deal with the phoenix force however he sees fit. Not just protecting the mutants that were left, but his faith in Hope's importance is what has caused the five lights to be brought into existence. And people think he would just hand her over to them? Not going to happen.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ragdollpurps

@Illuminatus said:

@ragdollpurps said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@ragdollpurps said:

@Illuminatus said:

Coinpurse?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ssejllenrad

I'm siding with cykes all the way!

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Cap had it coming showing up on Utopia with a helicarrier full of Avengers, diplomatic relations were doomed from the start. Can't really blame him though, this is all a result of Bendis' below average writing capabilities.

This.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By jubilee042

"Because both parties could be assigned the blame of throwing the first punch, perhaps we should focus on who will throw the final punch..."

AdrianOpIvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30  Edited By AdrianOpIvy

While I'll admit that I AM really looking forward to read this series, I had some pretty big reservation after reading the first issue. Like most of you have mentioned, the argument between Captain America and Cyclops was juvenile and a weak way to start the event. While I enjoyed Bendis' scripting, as usual, the biggest problem I had with the issue was the art. By far.

I've read every issue of Kick-Ass, and enjoyed the art for the way it framed the narrative. However, John Romita Jr drawing this issue was just painful. I stopped to frown every second panel, and his cartoonish, uneven drawing felt completely out of place in an event of this calibre. While I will maintain my excitement for this event, it is somewhat marred by what this issue symbolises: imbalance. By giving several writers free rein over characters that they might not have ever written, Marvel is allowing these characters to be treated like plot devices, instead of the heroes we spend our money on each and every month. While the multitude of talent is great, it feels like all show and no substance-Ultimatum springs to mind. And I hate saying that word. The same problem can be said for the art. While I really do enjoy most of the artists attached this project, the inconsistency of seeing the same hero portrayed differently every fortnight will be grating. And with artists like John Romita Jr attached, the stylistic diversity will compromise the textual integrity of the whole series, as well as make it look like a piece of steaming shit.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Lvenger

The entire world's at stake. Cap had every right to come in with back up. He probably knew civilly asking Scott to hand over the mutant messiah wouldn't work but he still wanted to give it a go. And whilst technically Cyclops' response is just, the fact it comes at a time when the Phoenix force is coming to Earth doesn't make it the best one.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NXH

@The Stegman said:

After reading it, I can say Cyclops is an idiot. At least Cap TRIED to be civil about it.

I agree. What a total dick.

Wonderbrezzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wonderbrezzy

Cyclops is the New Magneto,All fer Cap!

Yurtigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Yurtigo

Cyclops just blast these fools.

Nosfistis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nosfistis

Nice article, but you made one very important mistake. Captain America didn't go to Utopia to discuss. He went there to order Cyclops to hand over Hope. The discussing thing was done just in case they could find a middle ground. Cyclops would never hand over the mutant messiah and Cap knew it, that's why he didn't go alone, but brought the Avengers along with him. "This is UTOPIA! *BLAST*"

Solarflare32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Solarflare32

You all forget that Hope is technically Cyclops adopted Granddaughter so even if she wasn't the messiah he likely wouldn't hand her over and i'd love to see how cable responds to this when he wakes considering he already attacked the avengers once and who else thinks Bishop should return to aid the avengers.

Mokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mokey

Oh, I'm sure it'll be pretty forgettable.

Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to New Avengers Cap wants to take Hope off world, which makes sense I guess.

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Skaddix

Off World is not going to help much. PF will probably just raze more planets until it gets its messiah. I mean u could kill her but that might just annoy the Bird so you kinda just have to wait until it gets to Hope. Although I suppose off world gives u a little while to see if Hope is control or not.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#40  Edited By thatlad

@Osiris1428 said:

Excellent observation

chaosimpact79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By chaosimpact79

to begin with the way this kicks off is beyond childish and stupid that it should be an insult to both avengers and x-men fans.in any other case cap would be more leveled headed and the same goes for cyke but the writers feel like its best to throw logic out the window for the sake of sales and story telling.to me both cap and cyke are to blame for kicking this war off because as leaders they should've came together to find a rational solution that worked for everyone.but once again writers don't believe in logic.but i do feel that cap is wrong for showing up unannouced with the avengers in thow demanding hope to be turned over to their custody.even if hope wasn't the intended target for the phoenix what kind of man would scott be if just simply turned over his adopted granddaughter over to the avengers.even though scott's response was on the extreme side it was the right call to make.

Avatar image for halfpastwhenever
    halfpastwhenever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By halfpastwhenever

I'm on Cyclops side, Cap, as always thinks his way is the only way. I mean has he even shown any interest in Hope before this? But now he 'knows' how to deal with her. Give me a break. Leave her with people who actually care for her.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deadpool25mm

@Osiris1428: hh nice man.

Enyalios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Enyalios

Wolverine threw the first punch when he told Cap that there would be no reasoning with Cyclops.

The mutants have been in this whole situation alone, left to their own devices up until this point. Their so-called friends in the Avengers and every other team have adopted a 'let's wait and see' mentality when it came to mutant affairs. When the Dark Avengers attacked Utopia, where were the Mighty Avengers or the New Avengers? Nowhere. The X-Men have been forced to deal with situation after situation on their own with no help from anyone and all in all have done pretty damn good (barring Wolverine acting like a child with his whole 'Children shouldn't kill unless they're an engineered clone of me' routine).

And now all of a sudden the Avengers are going to walk onto their island and demand they hand over one of their own? Please. Maybe if they would have been there from the beginning helping their friends through the most trying time in their history, they can talk.

With all that being said, none of this is in character for any of these characters. As petulant and annoying as Wolverine has been in recent years and as much as he disagrees with Cyclops, I don't see him setting up a collision course the way he did between the Avengers and the X-Men. I don't see Cap being as nonunderstanding of the delicacies of the situation as he has been shown. And while at the end of the day Cyclops would have likely told Cap to get the hell off his island if Cap approched him the way he did, he has never been portrayed as completely unreasonable.

Ijan092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ijan092

Cyclops is an idiot not only because he obiously trew the first stone but also he can't get inside of his head the fact that Hope is not ready to become the host of the Phoenix force. Scott bsacially is going to let her become and freaking time bomb that can wipe out the entire universe. If you read the first issue you'll know what I mean.

thanos316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thanos316

ppl are judging this event before they even read it which is such a douche thing to do !!

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Joe Venom

Your Movie sucked! Optic Blast! )<==========

Lmao! don't you just love Cap's double finger point in the image above, it just looks so "showtoonish" I'm pretty sure just one finger would have got his point across >click< >click<

jcbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jcbart

@Enyalios: I wholeheartedly agree.

Captain America turned up on Utopia sporting the hellicarrier and a whole lot of Avengers and ordered a small girl be taken into custody for crimes that she hasn't committed yet. He didn't say, "Look, we can band the smartest minds on the planet to help find a solution." He didn't say, "I know you've dealt with the Phoenix Force more times than I can imagine and you know what you're doing but I think you need our help this time." No. He came and said, "We're taking the child. Whether or not you or she likes it, and we'll cut down any one of your mutants who disagrees."

Captain America was acting like a totalitarian jerk. Where were the Avengers after Genosha was obliterated? Where were the Avengers when one of 'their own' wiped out 90% of the mutant population (since Wanda's a mutant I guess it's a mutant problem and thus nothing to do with them)? They can't pick and choose when they want to interfere with mutants. They aren't the law.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DocFatalis

@Mokey said:

Oh, I'm sure it'll be pretty forgettable.

I tend to agree.

that would have been such a nice surprise, if all of a sudden, both teams had been depicted acting reasonable like: "Cyke:Woah, the entire solar system's at threat, you sure?

Cap: Well, almost, but there's plenty of things we can try without harming hope the least, and I guarantee that's what we'll try to do.

Cyke: Ok, cool. You know we've got pretty good scientists and telepaths here as well, so maybe they could lend you a hand and we could find a joint solution.

Cap: Nice of you dude, I appreciate. I'm going to call Richards too, this guy knows about cosmic threats.

Cyke: Sure, sure, wanna have coffee, beer or something? Mi casa tu casa pal, feel free to get stuff out of the fridge while we're working on this together.

Cap: Thanks Cyke, I'm sure we'll find something in no time, Banner just textmessaged me and he'll be joining in this afternoon."

Two days later, problem solved with zero destruction and and vivid friendship between the two teams. Now we can see awesome trainings in the danger room with the red Hulk giving Spidey special throws and Rogue getting a crush on DD.

But of course it wouldn't look as uselessly spectacular as an incredibly unlikely stupid war between two teams full of wise and experienced people and who so far have almost been all-time allies.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hectorsquall

@ApatheticAvenger said:

QFT!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.