pspin's Avengers Arena #6 - Pawn Takes King review

Avatar image for pspin

Avengers Arena #6 Review

Avengers Arena #6 Review

Overview:

There is a heavy focus on the more unknown kids here as the groups try to make it to the safe zones.

The Good:

This was probably the best issue yet and it had almost zero focus on the “mainstream” characters (X-23, Nico, etc.) and almost entirely on Anachronism and the other British kids. The plot mainly revolves around Anachronism and his mysterious ability and how he is friends with several of the other kids he was traveling with. His actions at the end are particularly shocking and out of nowhere. There is also the sense of breakdown between the British kids (everyone in the group is from the Braddock Academy except for Death Locket) and they manipulate and turn on each other quickly.

Dennis Hopeless writes the issue well as he shows the kids manipulating each other. While it may seem sudden, given the powers of some of the people and their past history of not being good friends, it actually makes sense even though it is only day 8ish to 12ish.

Kev Walker continues to draw beautiful issues as and capture the emotion of the kids well.

The Bad:

The biggest problem I has was the use of X-23’s trigger scent. It is a well-kept secret and only a few people in the world know about it therefore seeing Arcade use it is a bit annoying. I know that he said it wasn’t the exact one and his own version that took a while to make and she does have a slightly different reaction to it; it still is a little annoying to see.

X-23’s face when she is initially exposed is a little ridiculous.

Verdict:

The series has a history of being at its best when the focus is on the original characters and this issue is no different at all; in fact it is probably the best issue yet. While some will continue to hate on the series, this issue is a very good one, it is not without its flaws but it is worth the while if you have been enjoying, or on the fence, about the series. Dennis Hopeless is improving and Kev Walker continuesto deliver as the series is starting to take off.

4 out of 5