pspin's Avengers Arena #4 - The Survivor review

Avatar image for pspin

Avengers Arena #4 Review

Avengers Arena #4 Review

Overview:

Nico and Chase try to make friends with the remnants of the Avengers Academy.

The Good:

The story is really good up until the end. The beginning and middle do the idea of being trapped on the island justice and is able to capture the kids questioning their morals and ideals. It also brings readers up to speed on the Runaways and Chase’s and Nico’s abilities.

Dennis Hopeless does a great job capturing the inner turmoil of Chase and Reptil. He makes what they are feeling realistic.

The art by Alessandro Vitti is great, a good fit for the issue by being serious but able to capture the emotion of the characters and even add a little visual humor when needed. When the art is combined with Frank Martin’s colors, it gets even better.

The Bad:

The cover is a lie.

I am a big Runaways fan so seeing Chase as not the happy-go-lucky, always-have-a-joke-despite-the-situation guy was a little disappointing. Also Nico seemed off, I can’t really place it but in the end she seemed off.

Which gets into the end; the end was disappointing. The Avengers Academy students seemed a little out of character and the almost-death was just stupid and got stupid reactions from those involved. The issue was going great but apparently Hopeless is taking rather extreme measures to show that there will be absolutely no “teaming up against the real bad guy” moments.

The anti-team-up sentiment gives off two vibes: the first is that Arcade is actively participating in the goings-on on the island and forcing the behavior of the kids, which kind of defeats the point of the series; and the second is that this is all a dream or simulation or something like that.

Verdict:

A solid issue for the series that has its ups and downs; there is some good writing but shaky characterization but it is helped by some great art. Overall the issue adds to the feeling of almost an alternate reality in the sense that in the long run something else is going on. I have theories but this is not the place for it. Overall it is pretty good though.

3 out of 5