Follow

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Movie » Avengers: Age of Ultron released on May 01, 2015.

When Tony Stark tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program, things go awry and it is up to the Avengers to stop the villainous Ultron from enacting his terrible plans.

(SPOILERS) Anyone else seen Age of Ultron yet?

Avatar image for deactivated-63665f9fbd262
    deactivated-63665f9fbd262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So i just watched Age of Ultron yesterday since it came out earlier here and i gotta say..Wow! It actually did exceed my expectations witch movies rarely do nowadays.

Anyone else seen it? What did you think of it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It was completely uninteresting. The Black Widow/Hulk romance was THE worst. I spent the whole movie not caring about what was happening on the screen.

Elementroar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Elementroar

It was storywise and pacing, a mess. There's no real 'single plot thread', and several get unresolved. For example, it looks like it's surrounding Tony's mistake and the resolution is him having to face his misbegotten 'son' Ultron. But after Vision enters the pitcure, Tony gets put to the sideline and his thread goes nowhere. The subplot of Thor got cut out in the editing room making his whole...sidequest...feel super short and with no context.

Not ONCE do we see the Avengers face any public scrutiny for any of the damage that happens in the movie, even though them being a media nightmare was suppose to be why they laid low on the farm. Just showing some of the bodycount that Hulk DEFINITELY should have caused, would ground the movie in some reality, and also give a better conflict for Bruce to get over. But his hands are clean, so all his moping seems completely pointless.

Ultron didn't really seem to have a strong basis. It seemed like all it boiled down to was faulty AI. In the trailer it implied he was fairly intelligent, cold, calculating. In the movie he's not. He's just a petulant megalomaniac with ill-defined goals. So was Loki in the first movie, but he had charisma, and had a familiar relationship with Thor. Ultron is just Tony without a filter, dark-Tony. And again, the climax didn't even have Tony and Ultron in the same general location, there was no point in him being a dark distorted mirror of Tony!

There's some sloppy bits of editing or CGI that made me feel the movie was rushed. In the opening scene, the soldiers were floppy CGI ragdolls, distractingly so. Later when Hulk throws Ultron down into a bus from the sky, the BUS DOESN'T MOVE ONE BIT FROM THE IMPACT. There's like a jump-cut + blur effect and he's in the bus in the next frame. WTF?

Things like that, I might be nitpicky, but they really stick out on the big-screen and hampers the experience. I also shouldn't be so bored that I NOTICED these things in the first place...

I don't want to go out and hate the movie on purpose, but it definitely doesn't make me automatically love it like the first movie.

I really like Vision though. I didn't expect him to translate well to the big screen, but somehow it works. I think because he looks and acts like a Superman archetype in a universe that doesn't have one, actually makes him stand-out more and makes him feel refreshing. Like all the pure goodness of a DC character tempered with some snark of the Marvel side. The British accent and having actual pupils definitely humanizes him way more than the comic ever did. Honestly, having read the Vision/Wanda miniseries way back and West Coast Avengers, MCU Vision is a big improvement personality and origin-wise.

But alas Pietro. I like how Joss teased Clint going to be the sacrificial lamb, what with all the nice family moments. But I guess Joss wants to make sure Ultimates Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch will absolutely not happen, and make Wanda go with Vision on the rebound. But man I wanted to see some funny jealous brother moments in the next movie, it would have been fun!

Avatar image for the_knight_rhoden
    The_Knight_Rhoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor finding out about the Infinity Stones and Thanos due to Wanda "messing with his mind" was pure PIS. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Trixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I was the only one who was underwhelmed. I feel like half the characters introduced were pointless, and only detracted from the role of the main characters. If half the characters were removed from the film, their screentime could have been used to tighten up the interactions between everyone else, and the film would have been stronger for it.

On one hand I'm really interested in seeing a directors cut, since obviously a lot of scenes were cut out, but on the other hand I'm terrified of experiencing the same level of boredom for an even longer period of time.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ultron sucked, RDJ is becoming Deadpool with his 10 jokes in a row with only one being funny, Widow and Hulk were annoyingly stupid.

Cap was good, ATJ was surprisingly good, Hawkeye was good, the Mjilnor party scene made a surprisingly nice come back when I thought it was just a Marvel scene made for laughs, Pietro was good.

All in all, I don't think it was a bad movie, but it wasn't great. 7/10.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By renamed040924

@superguy1591: It wasn't bad, but man would I have liked more. I think a 7/10 is about right.

One thing AoU can at least brag about is that they probably had the best Cap to date. It makes you really reflect on his character development, how he was just a kid in First Avenger but now he's almost exactly like the current comic book Cap.

Avatar image for the_knight_rhoden
    The_Knight_Rhoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Knight_Rhoden
    renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_knight_rhoden: I was looking forward to that fight so much, but it ended up being one of my biggest disappointments in the film. Most of it took place off-screen, and as a battle board guy, the fact that Ultron had very few feats prior to this besides losing against Iron Man makes me feel the fight was pointless.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

It was completely uninteresting. The Black Widow/Hulk romance was THE worst. I spent the whole movie not caring about what was happening on the screen.

I hate to say it but the black Widow/Hulk part was by far my favorite part.

I hope they show more of it and give us more depth to the hulk character and Black Widow. I say great job Marvel on stepping out of the box with the Hulk and Black Widow.

alexandru84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm seeing a lot of hate towards the movie. I really liked it. Just remember guys in 2h it is very hard to put 50 years of comic history. Yes its true there was no ''Avengers Assemble'' moment like in the first one where we see the 360º dolly shot, where you can feel the emotion, and ultron in the trailer was more menacing than in the movie. I got the filling that he was no match for the avengers if the people of sekovia weren't in the way. I mean, without the people Thor could have hit ultron's head with the same force as he did the island and the end, or hulk could have ripped ultron apart as he was doing to the hulk buster. But well it was very entertaining and I liked it.

One question guys. what do you think it means when heimdall tells Thor that his power will kill them all or something like that. (in the vision). Will Thor have a quest for power in Thor 3 in order to stop ragnarok?

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elementroar: there was an arrest warrant out for hulk in question...

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only problem was that ultron was too weak. besides that the plot was good enough, not really any plot holes. it seems to me that ultron was a tragic hero

the avengers seemd more evil as he started at the bottom, while they were already gods

its seems like everything was against ultron

Elementroar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#@spider-manwins Just saying it doesn't equal showing it, especially in a movie. I would expect something like newscasts about people reacting to the Hulk's rampage. As it is, all there was was them saying he's in trouble, but not actually showing it.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elementroar: ehh, if they fcused too much on that, it would become another unaswered sub plot

better to explore it in civil war imo

so far, we have a rivalry between cap and ironman,

a mistrust of SHIELD

and possibly a mistrust of the avengers themselves

Elementroar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-manwins The thing is everything ended too happy. Tony doesn't get chewed out by Cap for causing the problem of the movie in the first place, there's no bad blood between them at the end even though it should be them setting up for Civil War.

Saving it all for only Civil War means they're going to have to make-up excuses for why everyone's fighting each other in that movie, instead of showing the tears in the group over the course of the two movies. So far, only Hulk has a legit reason to exit; he doesn't want to be the unstoppable 'big gun' of the group anymore. And if they showed he actually caused innocent people to die, it would explain his feelings a lot better than him trying to get away from Black Widow or something.

I more interested in what the two neutrals are going to do anyway, Vision would probably be lampshading how fighting each other is kinda stupid in the grand scheme of things, and Wanda's not even an American citizen so is she illegally working at SHIELD or what?

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-manwins The thing is everything ended too happy. Tony doesn't get chewed out by Cap for causing the problem of the movie in the first place, there's no bad blood between them at the end even though it should be them setting up for Civil War.

Saving it all for only Civil War means they're going to have to make-up excuses for why everyone's fighting each other in that movie, instead of showing the tears in the group over the course of the two movies. So far, only Hulk has a legit reason to exit; he doesn't want to be the unstoppable 'big gun' of the group anymore. And if they showed he actually caused innocent people to die, it would explain his feelings a lot better than him trying to get away from Black Widow or something.

I more interested in what the two neutrals are going to do anyway, Vision would probably be lampshading how fighting each other is kinda stupid in the grand scheme of things, and Wanda's not even an American citizen so is she illegally working at SHIELD or what?

not really a fan of Civil War most likely wont see it. No fan of hero vs hero.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elementroar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Elementroar

@elementroar: i agree

i heard they cut out a lot of things

Yeah, some cool stuff like a big fight between Thor and Vision (I don't even know where it would fit in the story tho).

Definitely need to get the Blu-Ray for this movie. 1 hour of extra stuff to watch is amazing.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

fun movie, but not great. the pacing of film was bad, Ultron should have been more powerful and and the conflict was a real threat and ended too quickly. The First one was still better.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it!

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spider-ManWins

@cloakx14: imo, the only flaw that stood out, was what you just said

ultron wasnt strong enogh

when he said" this is what i wanted, all of you vs all of me" i was expecting some shet to go down. instead ultrons army was pulverized and he himself was taken out pretty fast

jackye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like the movie, but it wasn't great i prefer the first avengers, i like vision but the twin were awful and useless, wanda started all in the movie it was her fault, and for what i read about civil war, i think that she is more awful, quicksilver was a really poor character i don't care if he is dead, i prefer him of that way. i think that the twin shouldn't have been in the movie, the old team is great like always.
    And the new team are so useless i want the old avengers

Elementroar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Elementroar

@jackye said:

i like the movie, but it wasn't great i prefer the first avengers, i like vision but the twin were awful and useless, wanda started all in the movie it was her fault, and for what i read about civil war, i think that she is more awful, quicksilver was a really poor character i don't care if he is dead, i prefer him of that way. i think that the twin shouldn't have been in the movie, the old team is great like always.

And the new team are so useless i want the old avengers

The twins have historically been Avengers longer than the Hulk. If we're going with the comic original line-up, the twins must be in the group/movie.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Instead of civil War I would prefer Kang the conquer. How cool would that be? Because You need your main team to fight that guy and all his henchmen and it just is not the Avengers without Hulk or Thor.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I skimmed it....and i wasnt a fan of it. I dont really care for the way Joss writes Cap but I did like te maximoffs. I didnt like the bruce/nat thing either. im just excited for Civil war

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-manwins: yeah i thought the same thing. he was a joke of a Villian. The Avengers had no real struggle against him. Heck, Hulk is more of a threat than Ultron. Captain America Civil War better be good otherwise i'm done with Marvel.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely amazing! One of the funnest movies I have ever seen.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14: a little more development, and a better final fight, and ultron wouldve been a great tragic hero type villain

like light yagami from death note

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-manwins: Maybe. they tried to go too many different directions. this could have been another Dud like Amazing Spider-man 2.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14: good thing t didnt go to bad like tasm 2

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

great movie

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MasterKungFu

entertaining too

jackye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elementroar: i know that, but they were two horrible characters, wanda messing with thor's mind, she said that saw the fear of tony and the rest of the avengers, makes no sense, she don't have telepathy and Telekinesis, i don't like that. in comics x-men like jean grey, emma frost, charles xavier, can't get inside thor's mind and wanda can? c'mon.

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dr_Harlequin

I really wish they did the comedic one liners better, and the parts where they try to sound wise because all it did was make me face palm. It was bad enough that I forgot most of them during the movie

Widow and Hulks time felt like a high school romance. Ultron attacks party, then they take cover behind counter and Bruce falls on top of her and they glimpse at each other. Oh my...

And there's everything that @elementroar pretty much said.

Everyone creates the thing they dread. I wonder if Whedon feels the same way about this movie. B|

Sorry, I need to watch my language.

Elementroar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Elementroar

@jackye said:

@elementroar: i know that, but they were two horrible characters, wanda messing with thor's mind, she said that saw the fear of tony and the rest of the avengers, makes no sense, she don't have telepathy and Telekinesis, i don't like that. in comics x-men like jean grey, emma frost, charles xavier, can't get inside thor's mind and wanda can? c'mon.

Have you forgotten about Enchantress or Lorelei? In the comics, they got in through his pants. It's not exactly flattering for Thor, is it?

Also I will take depowered Jean Grey-Wanda over Reality Warper insane Wanda. The comics make her do too much bad shit because her power level keeps going up for no reason. Even her son, Wiccan, is so stupidly powerful he got out of the comic, changed the panels, and went back in. I actually grew up on the Silver Age comics, I watched Wanda's powers go from reasonable to stupidly powerful because writers can't decide what her powers actually are (Kurt Busiek made the best compromise and power level for her, but every writer later just ignores him).

You want to be loyal to the Silver Age? Wanda couldn't even fly back then. She had to come up with imaginative ways to use 'probability' to win. That's how useless she was for a while. Then she got the power upgrade to manipulating chaos magic through Busiek, while still making her not have too much power like oh, creating a new reality cause she went insane for no reason. Twice.

And in the Rage of Ultron comic, which is suppose to be set after Secret Wars 2015, her powers seem reasonable again. And it's more like the movie, she's doing more telekinetic stuff. She uses 'chaos gravity' to fly, and she can manipulate objects to morph and change (like forming a giant fist out of metal debris). This is a pretty reasonable compromise, better in the long run so writers don't use her as a plot-bomb to sell comics again.

Capfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They did a good job at making Captain America one of the main characters - he seemed to take a back seat to Iron man in Avengers a little bit and Thor and Hulk. I hope they bring him more front and center in the upcoming movies and I predict Captain America Civil war could be as big as Age of Ultron if not bigger

last_angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By last_angel

Really enjoyed Paul Bettany as Vision. The makeup and detail was incredible.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MasterKungFu

great movie

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can't wait til next

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.