Avengers: Age of Ultron - Featurette Introduces us to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver

Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

As we wait for the May 1, 2015 opening of Avengers: Age of Ultron, we're getting ready to meet the new characters coming to the big screen. We've caught some glimpses of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in action. This recently released featurette gives some insight into the characters from Elizabeth Olsen, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and writer/director Joss Whedon.

A new image has also been released by Disney.

No Caption Provided

I probably don't have to ask if you plan on watching the movie, right?

#1 Posted by leokearon (1970 posts) - - Show Bio

Shame the Feature doesn't have any footage of Wanda talking.

Also looks like SHIELDs idea of no psychic powers is thrown out the window

#2 Posted by the_stegman (40194 posts) - - Show Bio

"Quicksilver is as fast as a bullet."

Well, guess he won't be nearly as quick as DOFP Peter.

#3 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

Really looking forward to this movie.

#4 Posted by sinikettu (2629 posts) - - Show Bio

Shame the Feature doesn't have any footage of Wanda talking.

Also looks like SHIELDs idea of no psychic powers is thrown out the window

It could also be that the whole psychic powers thing has been under the radar so far, I mean if you have the power to wipe an agents mind of ever meeting you... How likely is it that you'd get caught and even when you do, to fake having something they want to believe that you have?

#5 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

@leokearon: To be fair I'm pretty sure they just said they can no records of any telepaths not that they couldn't exist.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
#6 Posted by amazing_webhead (9819 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't get why Pietro gets a costume but Wanda just has a schoolgirl uniform

#7 Edited by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazingwebhead: Where do you go to school? They both look like their just wearing street clothes that nod to their costumes in the comics. Hell look at what Pietro is wearing in the latest spot he looks like he's part of the Russian mafia with the tracksuit jacket.

Personally I like it leave room for their costumes to evolve.

#8 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12540 posts) - - Show Bio

1 month to go

#9 Posted by amazing_webhead (9819 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazingwebhead: Where do you go to school? They both look like their just wearing street clothes that nod to their costumes in the comics. Hell look at what Pietro is wearing in the latest spot he looks like he's part of the Russian mafia with the tracksuit jacket.

what, you don't think Wanda's clothes look like a recolored Catholic schoolgirl look, minus the tie? As for Pietro, the tight shirt with lightning bolts made me think "costume". I agree with you on that last bit, though.

#10 Edited by TheBlueAngel93 (21064 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking forward to how these two are used in the film, I like that they're going to start off as villains working for Hydra and then Ultron, only to realize the error of their ways and join the Avengers in the end.

One thing I do hope we get is how Scarlet Witch's powers work in the film. I've always had a hard time grasping exactly how her powers work, because most of the time she's written to have basically reality-warping powers which always seemed way too overpowered to me. Hopefully they've down-played her powers a bit here.

Also, I like both of their outfits in the movie. Quicksilver's looks cool to me and Scarlet Witch's outfit fits with her personality and powers. It's very different the uniform-like suits the rest of the Avengers wear and makes them stand-out more as individual characters.

#11 Posted by Tony_Shark (1997 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: That's actually a good thing. DOFP Quicksilver was too fast. It made no sense that they left him behind when they could have used his almost God Like speed.

This Quicksilver will be more badass because he is more vulnerable. Or maybe he isn't as used to his powers yet.

#12 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

@feartheliving said:

what, you don't think Wanda's clothes look like a recolored Catholic schoolgirl look, minus the tie? As for Pietro, the tight shirt with lightning bolts made me think "costume". I agree with you on that last bit, though.

No, no I don't.

No Caption Provided

Even the slutty versions don't look like it, unless your saying because there is a jacket and skirt they are the same, but that would be stretching it and limiting it to a very basic idea of a school uniform.

#13 Posted by amazing_webhead (9819 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazingwebhead said:
@feartheliving said:

No, no I don't.

No Caption Provided

Even the slutty versions don't look like it, unless your saying because there is a jacket and skirt they are the same, but that would be stretching it and limiting it to a very basic idea of a school uniform.

fair enough

#14 Posted by ThanoStomp (890 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure hope that the Scarlet Witch messing with the Avengers isn't just a re-hash of Loki and the mind gem(his staff). Based on that video, it sounds too similar.

#15 Posted by jayc1324 (26422 posts) - - Show Bio

Too bad QS is going to die

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
#16 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (10331 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't get why Pietro gets a costume but Wanda just has a schoolgirl uniform

Maybe the suit is some sort of material that allows him to go as fast as he does without burning his clothes off from friction.

#17 Posted by TheBlueAngel93 (21064 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure hope that the Scarlet Witch messing with the Avengers isn't just a re-hash of Loki and the mind gem(his staff). Based on that video, it sounds too similar.

There are scenes in the trailers that show various Avengers like Captain America and Black Widow apparently reliving their past or at least twisted versions of them. There's a quick scene that shows Cap apparently attending a 1940s themed party, which could be Cap being tricked into seeing what it would have been liked if he hadn't been frozen for 70 years. For Black Widow, there are a few scenes that show her reliving her past, being experimented on by the KGB.

So it appears that Scarlet Witch's powers do much more than just control people like Loki's scepter did in Avengers. She appears to be able to manipulate people, making them see their greatest desires or worst fears. It also appears she is the cause for Hulk's rampage, which could be her making Banner see his worst fears which causes him to lose control of the Hulk.

#18 Posted by amazing_webhead (9819 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie said:

@amazingwebhead said:

Maybe the suit is some sort of material that allows him to go as fast as he does without burning his clothes off from friction.

makes sense

#19 Posted by ZephyrX26 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

interesting: of all the words to describe Wanda, "grounded" is not the first word that comes to mind....but maybe that's another story. Can't wait to see how Whedon handles the brother/sister relationship of the twins and I hope to see some interaction between Wanda and Vision. can't wait for this movie!

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
#20 Posted by StMichalofWilson (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#21 Posted by SodamYat (7907 posts) - - Show Bio

..awesome....thats just what we needed, MORE footage and infot about the plot from this movie.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#22 Posted by The Impersonator (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarlet Witch is powerful and hot.

#23 Posted by CurlyInsaneGuy (422 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad my OTP is finally getting some love!

Kidding. :)

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
#24 Posted by medulaoblaganda (2256 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: because dofp didn't portray him well in power wise. quick silver is not faster than light.

#25 Posted by Perfect 10 (1655 posts) - - Show Bio

my girl is awesome and cant wait to see her in action!!!! four weeks, I am counting down the days

#26 Posted by Ostyo (14103 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by TheBlondeGod (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

IT'S ALMOST HERE!!

#28 Posted by TheBlondeGod (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

It's going to release earlier than May here. Right? @vinomonster

#29 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by redwingx (1359 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!

#31 Posted by TieDyeBowtie (34 posts) - - Show Bio

For people who've been trapped in cages for a while, they're awfully well groomed. Hell, Scarlet Witch even has all that make up on and everything.

#32 Posted by scavengerFist (1935 posts) - - Show Bio

Wanda looked like a gypsy dancing when unleashing her powers.

#33 Posted by ThanoStomp (890 posts) - - Show Bio
@thanostomp said:

There are scenes in the trailers that show various Avengers like Captain America and Black Widow apparently reliving their past or at least twisted versions of them. There's a quick scene that shows Cap apparently attending a 1940s themed party, which could be Cap being tricked into seeing what it would have been liked if he hadn't been frozen for 70 years. For Black Widow, there are a few scenes that show her reliving her past, being experimented on by the KGB.

So it appears that Scarlet Witch's powers do much more than just control people like Loki's scepter did in Avengers. She appears to be able to manipulate people, making them see their greatest desires or worst fears. It also appears she is the cause for Hulk's rampage, which could be her making Banner see his worst fears which causes him to lose control of the Hulk.

Thanks for the in depth analysis. So to net it out:

Loki's scepter = manipulating avengers, pitting them against one another.

Scarlet = manipulating avengers, pitting them against one another..... and plot tool to reveal more about the characters.

Me = disappointed

#34 Posted by MasterKungFu (20773 posts) - - Show Bio

she seems too unstable

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.