'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Deleted Thor Norn Cave Scene

Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

There's always scenes in movie we see in trailers and end up not appearing in the actual movie. Sometimes they're shot just for the trailers and other times they just end up not working in the movie. That was the story about the Norn Cave scene with Thor, shirtless, in a pond in a cave in Avengers: Age of Ultron.

In the movie, while trying to deal with Ultron, Thor visits his old friend Erik Selvig. They go to the cave, Thor enters and has a vision with Heimdall telling Thor he'll be the destroyer of Asgard. It was a quick scene that felt a little odd. Here's what was originally filmed.

Whedon mentioned the scene didn't play well with test audiences. (Audio interview HEREat the 16:20 mark). It does feel like this scene would've played better in a full blown Thor film rather than thrown into an Avengers movie without a lot of explanation.

Do you think this scene would've worked in the movie?

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
#1 Edited by knightofthechronicle (1396 posts) - - Show Bio

Man this should've made the cut

#2 Posted by Maddpanda531 (1635 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, this really should've been in the movie.

#3 Posted by strangetales (1731 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by goonage (2085 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO the entire scene with Thor was weird. Although I do think this deleted scene should've been kept, the entire complete sequence should've been moved to the credits.

#5 Posted by nappystr8 (1548 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting scene, but yeah, doesn't seem all that necessary.

#6 Edited by modsbehating (543 posts) - - Show Bio

it made the stones make a little more sense

#7 Posted by Nufious (611 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12524 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool scene. But ummmm...who or what is he possessed by again?

#9 Posted by RavenVice01 (4408 posts) - - Show Bio

@shazam117: Roughly, norns were witches who were fortune tellers in norse legends. I wonder if this means karnilla will be making an appearance or not.

#10 Posted by Reactor (4349 posts) - - Show Bio

That was actually pretty cool. They should've kept it

#11 Posted by BubbaDuke (45 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see why that was cut

#12 Posted by Sachmoo (2500 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, glad that was cut. Unnecessary exposition that really had nothing to do with the actual movie. It was just a plot development scene for future movies. Its fine to do that, as long as it is organic within its movie, Ala Guardians of the Galaxy scene in the Collectors gallery.

#13 Edited by sinikettu (2629 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01 said:

@shazam117: Roughly, norns were witches who were fortune tellers in norse legends. I wonder if this means karnilla will be making an appearance or not.

Actually they were more than that.

The Norns fill a similar niche as the three fates of the Greeks; Clotho, Lakhesis and Athropos.

They not only read the fates of men but determine their course.

I'm also agreeing with many here that this would have been a cool mid or end credit scene.

#14 Posted by MaxSchreck (220 posts) - - Show Bio

That scene is awesome, but I can see why it didn´t appeal to everyone.

#15 Posted by KritikalMassX (1510 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a feeling that this could've been a setup for Thor: Ragnarok if they kept this in the movie.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#16 Edited by The Impersonator (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a feeling that this could've been a setup for Thor: Ragnarok if they kept this in the movie.

Most likely.

#17 Posted by Owie (7174 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that was any better than what ended up in the movie, and what was in the movie wasn't great. It was still cheesy. Ooooh, "scary" voices and facial expressions :P. Good to know about the stones, I guess, but they could have done better.

#18 Posted by RavenVice01 (4408 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinikettu: there r supposed to be easter eggs for thor ragnarok in civil war. I'm hoping cap dies and goes to Valhalla then thor resurrects him to stop ragnarok.

#19 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

@goonage said:

IMO the entire scene with Thor was weird. Although I do think this deleted scene should've been kept, the entire complete sequence should've been moved to the credits.

That wouldn't have made since considering it's why Thor returns and explains to the other Avengers about the Infinity Stones and why Vision can keep the one he has. You put that scene at the end and there is nothing to show how Thor knows about all of this stuff aside from SW's vision that sent him on his journey.

#20 Posted by RavenVice01 (4408 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder what the deleted loki scene is all about

#21 Posted by TheHeat (712 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor was wasted in AOU. This scene would have made more sense in Ragnarok. It would have been cool had the Norns warn Thor that Hela, Fenrir, and Jormungand are being released from Hel.

#22 Posted by LiamDaniels (130 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who only gets a message about how "This video is private"?

#23 Posted by RavenVice01 (4408 posts) - - Show Bio

@theheat: I think Hela should be saved for the infinity war movie. She could be the embodiment of Death that Thanos worships and grim reaper can be her enforcer

#24 Posted by lordraiden (9663 posts) - - Show Bio

One doesn't realize how buff and beefed Hemsworth is as Thor till you watch this scene!

#26 Edited by Spykat (116 posts) - - Show Bio
@liamdaniels said:

Am I the only one who only gets a message about how "This video is private"?

I am getting it as well.
Unless it's the studio now restricting the viewing, I hate it when random individuals who had no part in the creative process of a work take "ownership" of it :p

#27 Posted by SevanGrim (2193 posts) - - Show Bio

ugh its already gone

#28 Posted by haza96 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome scene!!

#29 Posted by Cream_God (15519 posts) - - Show Bio

So we know they can get RKTs eyes :D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.