omertalvendetta's Avengers Academy #10 - Redemption Song review

Avatar image for omertalvendetta

Worst Class Ever

Cover:

I actually found this cover (finally relatable, though minorly, to the inside material) pretty funny.  I like the word bubble on it, gives it a nostalgic feeling.  Also, I like how Dr. Strange is rocking out.

The Good:

The pace, the realistic dialogue and characterizations; we can somewhat relate to a lot of these characters.  There's something about failed instructors (well, they're great teachers, just have done so many wrong things in their time) and teenagers full of angst that hits home with me.  I know that it's a bit cliché, but the interactions here as so believable that it makes the issue smoothly transition from panel to panel.  Hazmat's day is touching, and her final decision after the day is over very impressive, showing that she is willing to be ready to protect herself and others.  Other reviewers have also pointed out Veil's enigmatic motives, and that mysteriousness is still seen in this issue, both at the beginning and the end.   The art was very impressive, and the fight, albeit brief, was well placed.  Last but not least, I really enjoyed Speedball's story.
NOT HERE!
NOT HERE!

The Bad:

Hazmat's day, though touching as I mentioned, seemed a little weird in some parts, especially while visiting her parents.  This interaction was so short it seemed like it was just put there to show that she did something, at least.    There wasn't really much wrong with this issue, to be honest.

Overall:

Great art, great dialogue, great cliffhanger, so much so that it makes me wonder the future direction of the series, and it is one that I look forward to with curiosity and eagerness.

4.5/5