zack_freeman's Avengers Academy #10 - Redemption Song review

Avatar image for zack_freeman
  • zack_freeman wrote this review on .
  • zack_freeman has written a total of 351 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Avengers Academy #10

Veil accidentally says something hurtful to Speedball while Hazmat gets to enjoy an odd date with Leech, of all people.

The Good

Sean Chen makes for an awesome fill-in artist. It's been far too long since I've seen his work and I'm really pleased to see how his style's evolved into such a solid state. I also enjoy how Gage allows these characters to be stupid sometimes. In a field full of idealized icons, it's refreshing to see characters blurt out stupids things sometimes simply because they're young and don't know any better.

The Bad

There might be too many characters packed into this. Generally, the cast has been juggled pretty well so far, but a number of scenes - - Veil's spying on Speedball, Hazmat's brief reunion with her parents, the Cobalt Men's ambush - - feel a little forced by virtue of how tightly they had to be squeezed in.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

The strength of this has always been the breadth of its cast, but it might've actually been a drawback of this particular issue. While every character has an authentic voice and personality that's identifiably unique from the others, there are so many of them that some necessary middle-steps have to be hopped over in the interest of pacing for a 22 page issue.