zack_freeman's Avengers #10 - Absolute Power review

Avatar image for zack_freeman
  • zack_freeman wrote this review on .
  • zack_freeman has written a total of 351 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Avengers #10

The Hood's Infinity Quest nets him another gem while the Avengers look liable to split up on their own.

The Good

Few mainstream writers can involve you in superhero action as viscerally as Bendis can. While some characters do end up sounding cattier than they probably should, there are definitely plenty of moments in this that feel very real even when the circumstances are outrageously outlandish. Rulk, Namor and Thor's deep sea dive felt especially cinematic, too.

The Bad

The characterization of Noh-Varr still feels wholly irreconcilable with the former Marvel Boy's origins. This character made his debut using a laser gun to carve "F*** You" into New York City. Even with personality evolution, that doesn't seem like the sort of character who'd ever have Spock-style confusion about the nature of sarcasm.

The Verdict - 4/5

The purist in me still questions how worthy the Hood is of wielding the Infinity Gauntlet, but I realize that the whole point is that this weasel is getting his hands on things he shouldn't have. Thus, it's been a long time since I've looked so forward to seeing a villain get his comeuppance as I did after this issue's cliffhanger. Plus, it's hard to argue with a regularly-priced book that gives you a whole extra comic for free.