cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
    DateWUBI? # 101:View:Attached to Forum:Last Issue:
    05/17/19Atari Force(Blog) (Forum)Atari Force.WUBI #100.

We all have trade paperback (TPB) collections we'd like to see. Here's one of mine:

Proposed Title:Atari Force
    Alternate Title: Atari Classics: Atari Force (see the 5/23/19 update at the end)
    Collecting 27 Issues:
    • New Teen Titans (1980) #27 (AF preview only*).
    • Atari Force (1982) #1-5.
    • Atari Force (1984) #1-20.
    • Atari Force Special (1986) #1.

*also found in DC Comics Presents #89 (5/23/19: I will add the cover for the preview issue later. Real life is preventing me from spending too much time on this at the moment)

Covers: (click to enlarge)
    TPB Cover: Atari Force (1984) #1
    TPB Cover: Atari Force (1984) #1

This one is pure nostalgia for me. Atari Force started off as five DC mini-comics that came with Atari 2600 games from 1982-1983. I had at least a couple of those, so I was pretty excited when Atari Force became an ongoing series from DC Comics in 1984.

That probably had largely to do with one of the main characters- Tempest- having the same first name as me: Christopher. I wanted to be Tempest- reaching through portals- so bad it hurt. Remember: Atari 2600 was it for gaming at the time, so kids relied largely on their imaginations for entertainment. I wanted to be Tempest.

Another draw was probably that the team had some close parallels to Star Wars, character-wise. Close, but not quite, just to be clear. If I had to equate them, I'd say: Martin Champion is kind of a grumpy Obi Wan; Tempest is Luke Skywalker; Blackjak is an untrustworthy Han Solo; Pakrat, Taz, and Babe all have qualities of Chewbacca; Morphea is somewhat like Yoda; and Dark Destroyer definitely reminds me of Darth Vader (but also of Baron Karza, but maybe that's because I was reading the end of the Micronauts series at the time as well). I don't think I'd quite equate Dart with Leia. I always thought she was pretty unique with her tattoos on one side of her body- I'd say she's one of the first badass women characters I recall in my comics reading.

As I recall, I was a little frustrated reading this series, because it seemed like the characters were never a hundred percent realized. I don't really think that was the fault of the creative team though. It seems that licensed products at the time could only be messed with but so much. Kind of the way Eighties cartoons had to stay tame for the kiddies. I do remember that I still really liked this series though. A good space opera title is something I'm always down for.

For the collection, I have in the past suggested this many issues as multiple trades, but I think that the Dark Horse Omnibus collections, and the Marvel Epic collections, have both shown that bigger books can now be bound without the contents coming away from the spine. So I think this book would sell better as one volume. For the cover, I'd simply go with Atari Force (1984) #1- a nice group shot. The alternate title is suggested simply to keep it consistent with the 2017 Swordquest TPB that was produced by Dynamite.

No Caption Provided

There's precedent for this TPB in that Dynamite has already reprinted the Swordquest (and Yars' Revenge) mini-comics in a 2017 TPB. They also produced a six-issue Swordquest mini-series the same year. If those can be done, Atari Force seems like a no-brainer.
    No Caption Provided

5/23/19: A little more than precedent apparently, as Dynamite has also announced a reprint of the five mini-comics from the games as Atari Classics: Atari Force. Wikipedia lists that trade as November, 2017, but Amazon shows it as January, 2019. It is not yet listed on Comic Vine. When I can determine which is correct, I'll correct the info here.

11/10/20: Unfortunately, this one was cancelled. All the more reason to do the full TPB!
    Would U Buy It? Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading.
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop
    #101: Atari Force
    #101: Atari Force

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

"Atari Force" sounds kinda like an early version of Smash Bros

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Atari Force" sounds kinda like an early version of Smash Bros

I'm honestly not familiar with Smash Bros. Looking at the official website though, I'd say no. Although I'd thought of the parallels before, I hadn't really considered how similar to Star Wars it was until I wrote this blog. Not as good as Star Wars, obviously, but it had its charm.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I remember seeing these when I was a kid but never reading one.

Maybe I should go check it out now.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blueecho: I thought they were fun. I started rebuilding my Atari Force collection awhile back, but I haven't finished it yet. I'd like to read it again at some point.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.