Astrid Bloom was a college friend of Emma Frost at Empire State University and a fellow telepath. Emma, a recently enrolled freshman, was walking through campus reading the minds around her when Astrid sensed her and began introductions. Upon their discovery of each other Astrid began to teach Emma how to better control her powers and other ways of using them. Bloom told Emma her life's story: growing up in England, how after her father died, and her mother's remarriage. This was not a happy time for Astrid, however as her mother seemed to favor her half-sister Yvonne more than her. Emma continued to befriend Astrid and learn more and more about her telepathy from her.
Soon enough, however Emma learned that the life which Astrid had told her about was indeed fabricated. In truth after Bloom's sister was born changes began to happen. Her room was switched to a nursery while she slept on the couch, and Astrid became more resentful, depressed, and enraged. Astrid had mind controlled her sister into killing their parents, and the entire time had been subtly manipulating Emma to agree with her views on males and non mutants. She had also been controlling Emma's boyfriend Ian into doing bad things. Bloom took a one last effort to control Emma and imprisoned her within her(Bloom) own mind. This trick was faulty though as it allowed Emma to gain every ounce of knowledge that Astrid knew and lashed out against her. As a result of the battle Astrid was rendered comatose.
Telepathy: Astrid Bloom is a mutant with various telepathic abilities. Originally Astrid was higher skilled than Emma, while Emma has much more raw power. Following their mind link, Emma gained all of Astrid's skill and experience and became the greater telepath.
- Telepathic Illusion: ability to create realistic telepathic illusions and cause people to experience events which are not actually occurring.
- Mind Reading/Thought Projection: She can read minds and project her thoughts into the minds of others.
- Mind Link: ability to develop a mental link with any person which remains as a connection to that individual.
- Telepathic Camouflage: ability to mask herself, and other peoples' presence from those around her. Can telepathically disguise herself, making her appearance to those around her quite different (changing the appearance of clothing, as well as more involved disguising).
- Psionic Shield: ability to erect a psychic shield for protection of herself and of others minds.