nerdmotron's Astonishing X-Men #37 - Monstrous, Part 2 review

Avatar image for nerdmotron

Astonishing X-Men #37 - Monstrous, Part 2

While the X-Men battle Fin Fang Foom in the streets of Tokyo, Mentallo reveals his evil plan. Can the team stop the machinations of the master mentalist?

The Good:

Armors character development is continued in this issue and it's good. Again, focusing on this character is great because she is a relatively new part of this team, so we need stories that show her growing and evolving with them. Like in the previous issue the layout of the book is nice, you get some big panels that really show off the action. The story also ends on a decent note, creating some interest in the next issue.

The Bad:

Quite a bit unfortunately. First off the art. Now I said in my review of the last issue that Jason Pearson's art was not working for me and that still holds true. But, what annoy's me more is that there is another artist pencilling this book along with him. This really messes up the flow of the issue, it's bad enough when you have artist changes in between issues but to have it happen in the same comic is frustrating. Sara Pichelli is the other penciller and honestly her art isn't bad, however her style is noticeably different from Pearson's and it's just really confusing to see these style's mixed in one book. Maybe Pearson couldn't finish the art by himself for some reason so Pichelli had to be brought in, but it looks bad and I feel really hurts the issue.

As far as the story goes, the action really doesn't ramp up like I would have wanted. You have a giant monster rampaging through a major city but you hardly get a sense of that. When the fighting start's you get a few cool images but not enough, at least not for me, I would have liked to have seen Foom wrecking up the place, sticking his foot through a few buildings and such. And forgive my ignorance, but it's Fin Fang Foom kind of a big deal in the marvel universe? Isn't this the creature that's tangled with Iron Man and The Fantastic Four? So why is he never mentioned by name in the story? Seriously, the only mention of his name is in the section at the beginning of the comic that explains what happened in the previous issue. It would have been nice if more emphasis were part on this character.

And final we come to Mentallo. Mentallo you started as an interesting villain but your evil plan is so generic and cliche that i'm surprised the writer didn't give you a mustache to curl.

The Verdict:

What started off okay, is becoming mediocre. The bad guys evil plan is boring, the giant monster isn't doing that much and the art work is all over the place. If it wasn't for Armor this issue and story would be pretty poor, at least there's one thing in this book that makes me want to keep reading. I can only hope that something significant happens in the next part of this story because as it stands I'm not overly enjoying it so far. 2.5 out of 5.