Follow

Aspen MLT

Publisher »

Aspen MLT was founded in California by Michael Turner in 2003.

First Look: Aspen's Charismagic #1

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

No Caption Provided
    San Diego Comic-Con is the perfect stage for comic book publishers to reveal their new creator owned projects and ideas, which is exactly what Aspen Comics did at this years show. The publishing house that has brought you Soulfire and Fathom will be launching a brand new series, Charismagic. The new title will be written by Vince Hernandez and the story will focus on the adventures of Hank Medley, a Las Vegas magician and entertainer who quickly discovers that magic is more real than he had previously imagined. We caught up with Vince Hernandez to ask him about the new book. Be sure to check out the incredible cover image as well as some very cool concept art sent over to us by Aspen Comics. 

Comic Vine: Tell us a little bit about the series, what is it about? Who are the main characters?
    Vince Hernandez: In the early stages of the story, you’re introduced to a man named Hank Medley,
    a Las Vegas performer headlining a popular magic show on the strip. His life on the stage is all fame and fortune, but his life behind the curtain is slightly less
    than perfect. Before he’s able to figure things out in his personal life, a strange, magical event takes place that changes everything for him along with every other human being on the planet. Hank must then try to figure out what exactly is going on, but along the way his life is turned upside down because magic, which until this point, was something he thought was only a thing of fiction becomes very
    much a reality.
     == TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided
    CV: What drives these characters? What is their motivation?
    VH: There are a few different elements at play with the characters and what their motivations are in Charismagic. At first Hank is motivated more by his hunt for answers to the events unfolding around him. However, as the story progresses and he is put into these impossible situations, we begin to see the change his character’s personality takes in order to deal with them. In contrast, several other characters appearing in the story are driven by far more visceral purposes because they will literally die in certain cases if they don’t do what they set out to. Actually, one character in particular must make a decision during this first arc that
    will affect their life forever, changing them into something completely different from what they were. So each respective character has a purpose or motivation all their own, so to speak.

CV: How many issues have been planned for the series, and when do you expect to release the title?
    VH: The first volume of Charismagic will be six issues with an introductory zero issue launching it. It will be released in early 2011, but you will seeing and hearing much more about it up until then.

CV: Looking at the book as a finished project (which I don't know if you have,) how do you feel as the creator behind the series? What are you most proud of/excited about?
    VH: I’m very proud of the project. It’s a book I’ve been working hard on for a long time, so to see it come to life through Khary and Emilio gives me a great sense of excitement. It makes me want to try that much harder to match their level of intensity with the story. I think what I’m most enthusiastic about with this book is
    just the amount of stories I can tell in this universe. The world of Charismagic is taking shape and it will encompass so many different characters and ideas that my mind is always turning out new stories every time I think about it. And as a writer you can’t ask for anything more.  

Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Tmul501

The art work here is pretty interesting. It's almost like Campbell mixed with old school Disney art. Sounds pretty cool too.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Magian

What I see here is very good.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dondasch

@Babs The girl on the front cover would be a great cosplay idea for you in next SDCC.

Booziehand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Booziehand

it at least has peaked my interest to learn more

mighty dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mighty dude

I love Aspen comics!
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Caligula

sounds cool

Dreamspinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dreamspinner

I'd check it out... but it'd need to be better than Soulfire, story-wise.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By pixelized

It has Zatanna written all over it, but I can be fair, I'd test it out.

vincehernandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vincehernandez

Thanks for the kind words, I hope you all will enjoy it.

Pixelized, I appreciate you giving it a shot. To be honest, I haven't read any Zatanna stories before so I'm confident it won't feel like the same story :)

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@pixelized said:
    " It has Zatanna written all over it, but I can be fair, I'd test it out. "
    Agreed, but I do like the Apsen stories so I shall check it out as well :)
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Cherry Bomb

wow, it sounds awesome! :D 
    The art looks great

Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Mediant

Very interested in this. I like the art style so far. I'm excited to hear more in the coming months.

ComiCCloseup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ComiCCloseup

I love Aspen but I'm getting sick of all the delays with Fathom every single time.. can they really handle another title I mean damn I was Blue Descent #1 already!!!
    Leave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Leave

I like the concept, I've found that professional "magicians" usually make for interesting characters.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crom-Cruach

I'll check this out, all of the stuff by Aspen so far have been worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.