EXCLUSIVE: 'Fathom' #2 6-Page Preview

Avatar image for no_name_
No_Name_

16193

Forum Posts

2734

Wiki Points

94477

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

The folks at Aspen Comics have kindly provided Comic Vine with an exclusive 6-page preview of 'Fathom' #2, due to hit stores next Wednesday. With her privacy violated, Aspen Matthews returns to San Diego and runs into some problems with the Secret Service. Aspen promises that this issue is the perfect jumping on point for new fans. Check out the full solicit and exclusive preview images below.

No Caption Provided

FATHOM (Vol. 4) #2

Written by: Scott Lobdell

Art by: Alex Konat and Beth Sotelo

On Sale: September 21st, 2011!

Aspen Matthews finds herself back in her peaceful hometown of San Diego, but soon she will discover all is not fun under the sun. With her life’s privacy now a thing of the past, even a trip home will prove deadly for the daughter of both worlds. When a run in with the Secret Service turns ugly, her already infamous reputation above the surface reaches a breaking point amongst the Humans. However, the scorn of the people is far less threatening to Aspen’s present than the surprise return of someone from her past!

For the legions of FATHOM fans who have been waiting to see Aspen in her element, taking control of her life, now is the time to jump on in—the water’s just fine!

== TEASER ==
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for burnstar1230
Burnstar1230

232

Forum Posts

21

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Burnstar1230

Never read anything from Aspen Comics, but it looks interesting. The artwork looks absolutely amazing though.

Avatar image for difficlus
difficlus

10659

Forum Posts

3482

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By difficlus

@Burnstar1230 said:

Never read anything from Aspen Comics, but it looks interesting. The artwork looks absolutely amazing though.

trust me pick up the first volume, Krillian's tide, vol 2 and Cannon's mini-series. The story and art is surreal. This artwork is lame and sub-par compared to what they put out in the micheal turner days.

check it out!

No Caption Provided

so slick!

Avatar image for theprez
ThePRez

466

Forum Posts

1454

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ThePRez

seems interesting

Avatar image for oldgum
oldgum

357

Forum Posts

1196

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By oldgum

I 'm always a fan of Micheal Turner and Aspen MTL.

Avatar image for blueninjapanther
blueninjapanther

783

Forum Posts

697

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By blueninjapanther

@Burnstar1230 said:

Never read anything from Aspen Comics, but it looks interesting. The artwork looks absolutely amazing though.

same here

Avatar image for yeopop
yeopop

791

Forum Posts

15862

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 78

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By yeopop

The stories of Fathom are amazing. I recommend volume 1 to everyone for its art and story.

Avatar image for gambit1969
Gambit1969

43

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Gambit1969

I really like Aspen Comics, Fathom and Soulfire are great reads. Self contained stories without all the confusing backstory of Marvel and DC books.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

45774

Forum Posts

11109

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

So what is the general outline of Fathom?

Avatar image for difficlus
difficlus

10659

Forum Posts

3482

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By difficlus

@spiderbat87 said:

So what is the general outline of Fathom?

well there a race of underwater dwellers called the blues and its basically about how they interact with human above (aggression etc) and aspen is half blue and half black. However fathom isn't like other underwater adventures. No one is talking to fishes or killing human for hunting whales. the blue are very advanced (think kryptonian advanced) and generally peaceful and wish well for the humans living above. They can turn into water and control it (elite blues only) or channel the energy within the water for different stuff and breathe underwater and not be affected by high pressures (all blues). Once on land they're also much faster than stronger than humans and don't dehydrate unlike people from DC and Marvel. So its just great art, societies clashing together and aspen (as the most powerful blue ever) is caught in the middle. Volume 1/vol 2/ killians tide and cannon are must reads. for more information check these out:

these might not be in order.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

45774

Forum Posts

11109

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@difficlus said:

@spiderbat87 said:

So what is the general outline of Fathom?

well there a race of underwater dwellers called the blues and its basically about how they interact with human above (aggression etc) and aspen is half blue and half black. However fathom isn't like other underwater adventures. No one is talking to fishes or killing human for hunting whales. the blue are very advanced (think kryptonian advanced) and generally peaceful and wish well for the humans living above. They can turn into water and control it (elite blues only) or channel the energy within the water for different stuff and breathe underwater and not be affected by high pressures (all blues). Once on land they're also much faster than stronger than humans and don't dehydrate unlike people from DC and Marvel. So its just great art, societies clashing together and aspen (as the most powerful blue ever) is caught in the middle. Volume 1/vol 2/ killians tide and cannon are must reads. for more information check these out:

these might not be in order.

I love the idea of underwater people but Submariner and Aquaman never seem to hold good books (we will see with the new 52) so I'm pretty interested in this and the art is awesome  
Avatar image for difficlus
difficlus

10659

Forum Posts

3482

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By difficlus

@spiderbat87 said:

@difficlus said:

@spiderbat87 said:

So what is the general outline of Fathom?

well there a race of underwater dwellers called the blues and its basically about how they interact with human above (aggression etc) and aspen is half blue and half black. However fathom isn't like other underwater adventures. No one is talking to fishes or killing human for hunting whales. the blue are very advanced (think kryptonian advanced) and generally peaceful and wish well for the humans living above. They can turn into water and control it (elite blues only) or channel the energy within the water for different stuff and breathe underwater and not be affected by high pressures (all blues). Once on land they're also much faster than stronger than humans and don't dehydrate unlike people from DC and Marvel. So its just great art, societies clashing together and aspen (as the most powerful blue ever) is caught in the middle. Volume 1/vol 2/ killians tide and cannon are must reads. for more information check these out:

these might not be in order.

I love the idea of underwater people but Submariner and Aquaman never seem to hold good books (we will see with the new 52) so I'm pretty interested in this and the art is awesome

the art lately is actually very bad compared to what they put out in before volume 3. see the pics i put up.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

45774

Forum Posts

11109

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@difficlus said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@difficlus said:

@spiderbat87 said:

So what is the general outline of Fathom?

well there a race of underwater dwellers called the blues and its basically about how they interact with human above (aggression etc) and aspen is half blue and half black. However fathom isn't like other underwater adventures. No one is talking to fishes or killing human for hunting whales. the blue are very advanced (think kryptonian advanced) and generally peaceful and wish well for the humans living above. They can turn into water and control it (elite blues only) or channel the energy within the water for different stuff and breathe underwater and not be affected by high pressures (all blues). Once on land they're also much faster than stronger than humans and don't dehydrate unlike people from DC and Marvel. So its just great art, societies clashing together and aspen (as the most powerful blue ever) is caught in the middle. Volume 1/vol 2/ killians tide and cannon are must reads. for more information check these out:

these might not be in order.

I love the idea of underwater people but Submariner and Aquaman never seem to hold good books (we will see with the new 52) so I'm pretty interested in this and the art is awesome

the art lately is actually very bad compared to what they put out in before volume 3. see the pics i put up.

yea I seen them, av just read issue 0# of vol one on comixology

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

6958

Forum Posts

8982

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

ALWAYS have loved Aspen and the artwork it contains. I would definitely love to get this if I ever start making more money. Gorgeous art; I just can't emphasize that enough!

Avatar image for blackair9
blackair9

118

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By blackair9

@difficlus: I think I going to have to get pick up some back stuff or trade paperbacks Aspen sounds like a good character

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

8854

Forum Posts

23956

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#15  Edited By The Impersonator
No Caption Provided

Chiki Wow! Wow! :D

Avatar image for difficlus
difficlus

10659

Forum Posts

3482

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By difficlus

@blackair9 said:

@difficlus: I think I going to have to get pick up some back stuff or trade paperbacks Aspen sounds like a good character

yep!

Avatar image for boomboompow
BoOMbOoMpOw

1693

Forum Posts

217

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

Wow looks really cool ! But still no one draws aspen as good as Michael Turner did :(

Avatar image for GrimoireMyst
GrimoireMyst

639

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By GrimoireMyst

@difficlus said:

@blackair9 said:

@difficlus: I think I going to have to get pick up some back stuff or trade paperbacks Aspen sounds like a good character

yep!

I think I will have to do the same. The artwork looks fantastic.

Avatar image for falcomadol
FalcomAdol

121

Forum Posts

3155

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By FalcomAdol

Every issue of Fathom should be a #1.

They try their best to make it so anyway.

Avatar image for mrgutts
MrGutts

286

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By MrGutts

I love the Fathom and Soulfire series, but holy jumping jesus how many #1's and #2's can they make out of the same comic over and over? The continuity of this is hosed beyond belief.

Avatar image for nod-nolan
Nod-Nolan

115

Forum Posts

3688

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Nod-Nolan

@MrGutts: if it works for Hellboy and BPRD, why can't it work for the Aspen series?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.